Helpful ReplyWant honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 628
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/17 20:46:24 (permalink)
jeffyt

Is it safe yet to eliminate my system itself from being the issue or do I need to still carry on the second round of nuclear option?

Possibly... 

This is what we know for sure... 
  • This is the 5th GPU to have failed.
  • The power supply has been replaced with a new 850w EVGA SuperNova. 
  • The current GPU that you have does not work in your system nor does it work in a second system. 
What we dont know... 
  • No clear explanation as to what is causing the GPUs to fail.
  • If there is another component in your system that is damaging the GPU's somehow.
  • Is the UPS is somehow responsible for this. 
  • Is the power that is "feeding" into the PC the issue. 
Assumptions I feel safe making at this point... 
  • The power supply is not the issue. 
  • The UPS is most likely not the problem, I feel that if it was these issues would present in different ways that so far have not happened. 
  • The power that is "feeding" into the PC is most likely not a problem either. If the power going into the PC was bad enough to damage 5 different GPU's than I would think other hardware in your system would also be damaged and presenting with errors. 
  • I guess its possible that there could be something wrong with the motherboard? I am not sure... 

I suppose that its possible that something could be wrong with the motherboard that is resulting in the failed GPUs. It would be helpful if EVGA could figure out what exactly is damaged on the GPUs that you have returned and what the cause for said damage was (if possible). Assuming this is not an option that is on the table than I think that the nuclear option is still something that needs to be done. Reason being is that the process should stress the CPU, RAM, and motherboard to the point that if one of those components was damaged that you would see it during testing (hopefully). To be honest the longer this goes on and the more data that we collect I am starting to lean towards this really being 5 bad GPU's, which just does not make since for a whole lot of reasons. I am honestly running out of ideas at this point... If possible it may be a good idea with the next GPU to not even put it in your PC, lend it to a friend for a week or two let them use it and see how things go before putting it into your PC. Needless to say I think that you need to be engaging with EVGA technicall support VERY HEAVILY at this point via the phone maybe even someone at the management level. If you really have received 5 bad GPU's EVGA has some explaining to do... While I would hope that they would not do this it is possible that at some point EVGA is going to stop sending you new GPU's (void your warranty).    

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

jeffyt
  • Total Posts : 60
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/17 22:01:08 (permalink)
jasoncodispotiI sure hope that this is not the case... I would imagine that EVGA has a way to internally track down who is doing teh QA for these cards that he is getting. Would also think at this point that it would be in EVGA's best interest to figure out what exactly is occurring to these cards so that he make sure its not some external factor.

I think this guy explains it pretty well: https://youtu.be/t5memuI5WD4?t=120
jasoncodispotiThis is the 5th GPU to have failed.

I hate to be a douche, but I've pointed out a few times that this is technically only the 3rd to fail.
1st arrived with 1 dead fan. evga fixed the fan and everything else was fine.
2nd had a random flicker that EVGA said they did not find, nor found anything wrong with the card itself
---so these two are somewhat cleared---
3rd artifacted after 8 days
4th artifacted after 14 days
5th crashed maybe after 1-2 days and maybe 3rd/4th day was discovered to be artifacting in completely different system.

jasoncodispotiThe power supply has been replaced with a new 850w EVGA SuperNova.

Yep but to be clear, the EVGA PSU is out now.
The brand new PSU Corsair sent me for RMA has been installed in my main rig since last night.
(passed 6 hour Heaven benchmark last night followed up with a few hours of Division 2 so far)

jasoncodispotiThe power that is "feeding" into the PC is most likely not a problem either. If the power going into the PC was bad enough to damage 5 different GPU's than I would think other hardware in your system would also be damaged and presenting with errors.
The UPS is most likely not the problem, I feel that if it was these issues would present in different ways that so far have not happened.

Thank you. I believe these were two of the most maddening details.

jasoncodispotiI guess its possible that there could be something wrong with the motherboard? I am not sure...

Yes. EVGA believes it may be motherboard VRM/power delivery but not entirely sure what may be the issue without actually inspecting my rig in person.

EDIT: Please read my final thoughts/edit before thinking I am completely relieved, lol I'm still terrified.
Big update: EVGA has approved a refund RMA. I am getting a refund from EVGA even though I bought this from Newegg.
I must admit this is huge. I am very grateful and appreciative for EVGA. Thank you guys for trying your best.
To be completely clear: I do not think this was on EVGA. I pretty much blame nvidia for releasing RTX before it was ready, or at least with better QC.
The amount of failure I researched on the 2080ti is insane compared to other generations. Just look at reviews for the cards on any shopping site, it's scary.

Another huge shout out to everyone who participated in this thread!
Thank you guys so much for sticking with me and reading through these massive walls of text I call posts.

jasoncodispotiIf possible it may be a good idea with the next GPU to not even put it in your PC, lend it to a friend for a week or two let them use it and see how things go before putting it into your PC.

The only issue I have with this is that the 3rd and 4th card worked for 8/14 days in my system as well. 5th worked for only 2 after replacing the PSU.
What I'm trying to say is that it's going to very hard to pin point in this case because it's not like my system has killed these cards instantly.
Plus, the 2nd card worked for 6/7 months, EVGA found nothing wrong with it too.

jasoncodispotiNeedless to say I think that you need to be engaging with EVGA technicall support VERY HEAVILY at this point via the phone maybe even someone at the management level. If you really have received 5 bad GPU's EVGA has some explaining to do...

jasoncodispotiI agree with this 100%. While its great that EVGA gave you a full refund it really does not solve your issue. You have got a lot to think about... starting with do you build an entirely new PC? Do you try a different brand of GPU? I woudl eb careful with that 2nd option I dont think support from other manufactures is going to be as forgiving as EVGA.

I wanted to follow up a bit on this... I should make clear that I'm not really super excited or anything, lol. I am very happy with EVGA service though, it's great that they chose to actually refund me even though I bought from Newegg 6/7 months ago. I told EVGA a few times that I would prefer a brand new unit/step up or even my 2nd card back - I was willing to even deal with that flickering... and I really wanted to diagnose this. I followed up a lot... every step I took, every result I got, every experience I had was all shared with either Adam or the EVGA ticket system. I mean look at the amount of time I spent with this thread, countless of other threads, etc etc... I'm getting my new card today and I've done plenty of testing/benching with my RX 580 while everything else is the same, but I'm still terrified at this point. I mean I even came up with a plan that if it happens with this new card that I'll buy a new PC, UPS, everything... but I'm STILL terrified man. What if even that doesn't work? lol. The paranoia is real. Either way, thank you for all your help in this matter. I wish I could have taken it further. I will update as much as possible as the days go on.
post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/19 08:17:30

Intel Core i7-7700k | Gigabyte 2080ti | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Corsair RM750i | HAF X
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/17 23:37:04 (permalink)
Sorry you had to go through all of that but really glad to hear you're satisfied with the outcome. 

EVGA once again steps up to the plate to remedy this issue.  Wish you luck in your future endeavors and if you can, keep us updated.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 06:23:49 (permalink)
No idea what the excitement is all about unless you plan to buy up a higher end card? Which one would think evga would of done if you wanted?

Are you planning on going down to a 1080ti?

After all that personally I'd be very afraid of the future.

Going a different brand would also be like good luck! Heh.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 06:57:17 (permalink)
AHowes
No idea what the excitement is all about unless you plan to buy up a higher end card? Which one would think evga would of done if you wanted?

I agree with this 100%. While its great that EVGA gave you a full refund it really does not solve your issue. You have got a lot to think about... starting with do you build an entirely new PC? Do you try a different brand of GPU? I woudl eb careful with that 2nd option I dont think support from other manufactures is going to be as forgiving as EVGA. 

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 07:15:17 (permalink)
jeffyt
I think this guy explains it pretty well: https://youtu.be/t5memuI5WD4?t=120

Yes. EVGA believes it may be motherboard VRM/power delivery but not entirely sure what may be the issue without actually inspecting my rig in person.

Big update: EVGA has approved a refund RMA. I am getting a refund from EVGA even though I bought this from Newegg.
I must admit this is huge. I am very grateful and appreciative for EVGA. Thank you guys for trying your best.
To be completely clear: I do not think this was on EVGA. I pretty much blame nvidia for releasing RTX before it was ready, or at least with better QC.
The amount of failure I researched on the 2080ti is insane compared to other generations. Just look at reviews for the cards on any shopping site, it's scary.

I think that its important to understand that the initial issues with the RTX 2080ti were VERY much over exaggerated... I would suggest pretty much ignoring everything on the internet regarding that whole situation unless its from reputable sources such as Gamers Nexus who often times work directly with EVGA through back channels to get factual information. I would start with this video... https://youtu.be/JIRfPlC15uc. My understanding at this point is that most if not all of the issues related to the RTX 2080ti memory issues were related to founders edition and reference cards, which I dont believe your card is. In addition Nvidia identified the issue with production and corrected it months ago... 

Something that I believe is overlooked when it comes to RTX is just how powerful and power-hungry these GPU's are. They really are pushing systems in ways that no other GPU prior too has and its resulting in issues that would otherwise never be found within a given build to be exposed. I cant even start to count how many posts I have seen that read "my RTX GPU is failing or failed" and in most cases it turns out to be an issue with either the power supply, motherboard, RAM, CPU, overclocking,etc... If you have any kinks in the armor sort of speak an RTX 2080ti is a great way to find them... 

At the end of the day I dont think that its fair for anyone to blame your situation on EVGA or Nvidia... there is an external factor at play here that we have all just failed to identify. I personally would be thinking long and hard about building a new PC prior to investing any more money in a new GPU. Good luck! 

Here is my EVGA associate code if you decide to purchase directly from EVGA in the future, you can use it to get a discount! 

https://www.evga.com/asso...tecode=TQJH4CZTDDFIZMD

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30978
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 08:05:32 (permalink)
@ jeffyt

We try to Help

I'm glad the issue has been resolved in a way that you are satisfied.

As others have mention you have not found the Root cause - bad Video Cable, PSU, PC ..... monitor ??? .... something is wonky & taking Out all of those GPU(s)

Always Follow ESD best practices & make sure to allow your systems capacitors to discharge after you unplug the PC before removing or adding anything to the MB

Like I said back in Post #145

If your have Not found the Root cause by now - 4 GPU later ?

Next GPU Do All testing in a different PC to confirm it works as intended

GL

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 598
  • Ribbons : 23
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 09:05:25 (permalink)
ESD is the Gremlin i bet.

> PSU: Seasonic VERTEX GX-1200
> Mainboard: EVGA Z690 CLASSIFIED (BIOS v1.03 12/3/2021)
> CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KF
> AIO: EVGA CLC 240mm
> Physical Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 5600
> Physical Memory Model#: F5-5600U3636C16GX2-TZ5S
> Monitor: Alienware AW2721D
> Video Card: EVGA 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
> Case: Cooler Master HAF X (942)
> DAS: Sabrent DS-SC5B

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 09:25:42 (permalink)
AHowesNo idea what the excitement is all about unless you plan to buy up a higher end card? Which one would think evga would of done if you wanted?

Well, I did request a brand new unit, or even my 2nd unit that was sent in for flickering/they found nothing wrong with. So them calling me (ty Adam) signals to me that they didn't want to keep sending me cards. I'm sure I could have pushed it but I didn't want to cause a bigger nightmare than I had already created. I'm sure their whole team is sick of my ****, which they honestly do have a right to be. I'll go into my future plans down below.

jasoncodispotiI agree with this 100%. While its great that EVGA gave you a full refund it really does not solve your issue. You have got a lot to think about... starting with do you build an entirely new PC? Do you try a different brand of GPU? I woudl eb careful with that 2nd option I dont think support from other manufactures is going to be as forgiving as EVGA.

Sorry, I didn't want to keep annoying people here but I should have at least summarized my follow up plan. I'll go into more down below.
I also do agree that EVGA rma had the best speed/service and realize other companies won't get close but it doesn't really seem like EVGA would be happy if I bought another of their cards tbh.

Cool GTXNext GPU Do All testing in a different PC to confirm it works as intended

The main issue with that is that cards 3 and 4 worked for 8-14 days. Just to be clear, let's say I had tested cards 3 and 4 in a different system for a whole 7 day benchmark and it passed. Well the same thing would have happened in my computer as both lasted over 7 days at pretty high loads. So to test something like that would involve borrowing a different computer for at least 1 month.

Let's also not forget that the 2nd one worked for 6/7 months with just flickering that was never found by EVGA. No other issues were found in that card by EVGA as well. I brought it up and would have taken the card back if allowed. (or brand new/step up as mentioned before)

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
ESD is the Gremlin i bet.

Wouldn't that completely kill a component?

jasoncodispotiI think that its important to understand that the initial issues with the RTX 2080ti were VERY much over exaggerated... I would suggest pretty much ignoring everything on the internet regarding that whole situation unless its from reputable sources such as Gamers Nexus who often times work directly with EVGA through back channels to get factual information. I would start with this video... https://youtu.be/JIRfPlC15uc. My understanding at this point is that most if not all of the issues related to the RTX 2080ti memory issues were related to founders edition and reference cards, which I dont believe your card is. In addition Nvidia identified the issue with production and corrected it months ago... 

Something that I believe is overlooked when it comes to RTX is just how powerful and power-hungry these GPU's are. They really are pushing systems in ways that no other GPU prior too has and its resulting in issues that would otherwise never be found within a given build to be exposed. I cant even start to count how many posts I have seen that read "my RTX GPU is failing or failed" and in most cases it turns out to be an issue with either the power supply, motherboard, RAM, CPU, overclocking,etc... If you have any kinks in the armor sort of speak an RTX 2080ti is a great way to find them... 

At the end of the day I dont think that its fair for anyone to blame your situation on EVGA or Nvidia... there is an external factor at play here that we have all just failed to identify. I personally would be thinking long and hard about building a new PC prior to investing any more money in a new GPU. Good luck! 

Here is my EVGA associate code if you decide to purchase directly from EVGA in the future, you can use it to get a discount! 

https://www.evga.com/asso...tecode=TQJH4CZTDDFIZMD

Thanks for the code, I will save it but I am not sure if EVGA would be happy if I bought/registered another product with them again so soon xD

My understanding from that video is that it's not directly related to thermals or windows o/s issues. Steve ended up saying that it may or may not be memory degradation as well.

My biggest reasoning for blaming nvidia is the fact that there is absolutely no reason any card, let alone a high end card that costs $1250, should have such sensitive power requirements where no other components are being fried or damaged in any way. The amount of RTX failures is pretty damn high compared to other generations though... no line should ever have that much of a difference in series imo. Plus, the jump from 1080ti to 2080ti wasn't even as good as previous generations to warrant such an insane power sensitivity. The fact that they actually admitted to a production problem kinda warns me that it was rushed in the first place.

I'll try to keep it short and sweet. My future plans are to stick with my system until it dies. Sad, pathetic, depressing... I know but at this point, it's my sanity I'm concerned about. I only see it going down in one of two ways. I either have a good experience with my next brand 2080ti or it dies once again and I need to build a completely new system. If I'm going to spend a few thousand, I may as well replace the UPS at that time as well. Only other factors may be the TV itself or the LED strip on the back of the TV... but those are some pretty damn short straws to grasp at. Felt like a conspiracy theorist even thinking of them being a possible issue, but hey who knows.. let me know your thoughts if a remote switch signal/LED strip signal/TV signals could interfere with GPUs/power delivery. That's the only troubleshooting left in my book. If it continues even after that, well I might have to invest in a live bomb to carry out an actual nuclear option instead... but at that point I might include myself in the mix since that also seems to be a constant.
post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/18 10:03:43

Intel Core i7-7700k | Gigabyte 2080ti | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Corsair RM750i | HAF X
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
SSC Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 09:30:40 (permalink)
ESD doesn't completely kill a component.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30978
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 09:46:28 (permalink)
External devices can back-feed the PC

A short on one of the graphics "devices pins" - video cable or TV ......... can cause Major issues especially over Time

what we are saying is without finding the Root Cause ... we have to talk about the Other possibilities that do exist

Sometimes it is simple - sometimes you have to determine ---> "What it is Not - because you cannot determine What it is"

That is how the Process of elimination helps one find the Root Cause - in these types of situations

GL on your Future GPU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 10:04:00 (permalink)
Bee_Dee_3_DeeESD doesn't completely kill a component.

GoogleThe real danger of ESD is, that you may damage chips in subtle ways. They continue to work 99% of the time, but once in a while, on a hot and dry summer day they behave erratic.

Understood. Glad I didn't kill any other components/GPUs over the last few years. I do like to run a humidifier almost 24/7 for my cat. (low humidity seems to be worse for ESD) I'll have to be more careful in the future, thank you.
I have and used these when installing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DP6RS0K
but those gloves are mostly used because I sweat too much, lol.
I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N8ZQKY
Hopefully should be good if I attach it to the metal of the HAF X?
Cool GTX
External devices can back-feed the PC

A short on one of the graphics "devices pins" - video cable or TV ......... can cause Major issues especially over Time

what we are saying is without finding the Root Cause ... we have to talk about the Other possibilities that do exist

Sometimes it is simple - sometimes you have to determine ---> "What it is Not - because you cannot determine What it is"

That is how the Process of elimination helps one find the Root Cause - in these types of situations

GL on your Future GPU

Ugh it is a nightmare though, lol.
Thanks man.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
SSC Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 10:07:04 (permalink)
jeffyt,

As far as ESD goes...

i like the following page i just found because the vid on it, has everything said in it, transcribed into text just below it...

"Understanding Electrostatic Discharge – CompTIA Network+ N10-006 – 5.6"
https://www.professormess...ectrostatic-discharge/

And if u listen to the whole thing and/ or read closely; the 5th paragraph is very excellent in the way it explains basic protocol(s): 

"One very easy way to minimize the amount of electrostatic discharge is to touch the metal case of a device that you’re about to work inside of. This is going to equalize the static electricity across both of those devices. And then when you start working with the internal components, there won’t be any discharge of the static electricity. You might also want to consider wearing an antistatic wrist strap. This will connect to the metal case you’re working on, always providing a direct connection and minimizing the amount of static discharge."

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 10:15:21 (permalink)
Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Electrostatic discharge
Electrostatic discharge (ESD) is the sudden flow of electricity between two electrically charged objects caused by contact, an electrical short, or dielectric breakdown.
A buildup of static electricity can be caused by tribocharging or by electrostatic induction.

I do know of a 3 Million Dollar Satellite that was totally Killed by ESD.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/05/18 10:17:31

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 10:17:52 (permalink)
Bee_Dee_3_Dee"One very easy way to minimize the amount of electrostatic discharge is to touch the metal case of a device that you’re about to work inside of. This is going to equalize the static electricity across both of those devices. And then when you start working with the internal components, there won’t be any discharge of the static electricity. You might also want to consider wearing an antistatic wrist strap. This will connect to the metal case you’re working on, always providing a direct connection and minimizing the amount of static discharge."

Ah got it, thank you. I'm going to combine the wrist strap with the gloves to be extra safe from now on.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
SSC Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/18 10:29:10 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Electrostatic discharge
Electrostatic discharge (ESD) is the sudden flow of electricity between two electrically charged objects caused by contact, an electrical short, or dielectric breakdown.
A buildup of static electricity can be caused by tribocharging or by electrostatic induction.

I do know of a 3 Million Dollar Satellite that was totally Killed by ESD.

yes.

i should have been more specific.

the itty bitty overlooked ESD is wat i meant. and how the slightest damage can result in enough to create a hidden Gremlin.

lesfry
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/06/12 15:46:27 (permalink)
The Problem with the 2080 ti s  and 2080 is caused by micron memory,   if you get one with Samsung memory it works fine, if you get one with micron memory, it will not overclock and it will fail'   the New NVidia cards are shipping with Samsung memory, however evga is still shipping with micron. the only way to guarantee to get Samsung memory is to buy the 2080 ti kingpin.  Micron memory is cheep and substandard, it will not overclock, and has a high failure rate.  I had a 2080 that wasn't failing but it was performing very badly.  only getting a firestrike score of 14000  after rma the replacement card scored 24000,   When the mining craze hit there was a boom in sales of video cards,  the card makers turned to micron memory. which is trash.   the new nividia cards have Samsung, but evga is still using micron.  Keep RMA it until you get a card with Samsung memory,  also check performance make sure its where it is supposed to be. 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/06/12 16:01:32 (permalink)
lesfry
The Problem with the 2080 ti s  and 2080 is caused by micron memory,   if you get one with Samsung memory it works fine, if you get one with micron memory, it will not overclock and it will fail'   the New NVidia cards are shipping with Samsung memory, however evga is still shipping with micron. the only way to guarantee to get Samsung memory is to buy the 2080 ti kingpin.  Micron memory is cheep and substandard, it will not overclock, and has a high failure rate.  I had a 2080 that wasn't failing but it was performing very badly.  only getting a firestrike score of 14000  after rma the replacement card scored 24000,   When the mining craze hit there was a boom in sales of video cards,  the card makers turned to micron memory. which is trash.   the new nividia cards have Samsung, but evga is still using micron.  Keep RMA it until you get a card with Samsung memory,  also check performance make sure its where it is supposed to be. 

The Micron vs Samsung memory debate has already been debunked.
jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/06/12 16:54:30 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one

Agreed. My card has micron and I have no issues.

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/06/12 22:38:24 (permalink)
jasoncodispoti
the_Scarlet_one

Agreed. My card has micron and I have no issues.

Same.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/06/13 02:43:44 (permalink)
Every generation is different, if GDDR5 Samsung was better maybe GDDR5X and GDDR6 situation is different.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/06/13 03:13:20 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
lesfry

+1.... this debate comes up every couple gens and it always falls flat on its face after the community tests the meatballs out of it.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/06/29 15:10:39 (permalink)
Here is a small update for any still interested:
Gigabyte Gaming OC: 11 days of 6/7 hour daily stress tests, everything solid.
https://pastebin.com/mCWdNdEv
Found deal for $999 Gigabyte Windforce model, got it, compared clocks after GPU boost 4.0, ran tests in-game, FPS very similar, etc.
Gigabyte Windforce: 30 days of 6/7 hour daily stress tests, everything solid.
https://pastebin.com/s8Tf2iaU

EVGA PSU swapped with brand new Corsair PSU from RMA.
Only thing that actually changed was the GPU.
Thanks for all the help.

johnukguy
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/07/09 22:24:52 (permalink)
Still interested but I'd suggest not stress testing for hours over several days.
jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/07/11 14:44:36 (permalink)
johnukguyStill interested but I'd suggest not stress testing for hours over several days.

True I didn't like pushing it so hard daily but since I could not figure out what it could be while all signs pretty much just led to bad cards from EVGA, I just had to make sure this new 2080ti from Gigabyte wouldn't die as well. Considering that all 3 dead EVGA cards couldn't last longer than 2 weeks (2 weeks, 8 days, 2-3 days) with mediocre usage (maybe 2-3 hours of Division 2 daily at most) and that I had a 30-day return policy with Amazon... I went ahead with the daily stress tests. I imagine 6/7 hour stress tests with 100% gpu usage should be plenty... maybe a bit too much like you suggested, but at least I feel a bit more safe. (still paranoid of course...)

If you have any suggestions please let me know... otherwise since then, I've recently bought and played Mankind Divided with a total of 37 hours so far. Mixed in with some Division 2, Metro Exodus and SOTR here and there but not much significant play time. (maybe ~10 hours for Division 2 recent gunner update/unlock grind)

Waukeen
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/07/17 19:53:49 (permalink)
At the risk of breaking my word I am going to commend EVGA here for doing the right thing even if the OP went another route.  I have used EVGA since the 8800GTX and they have been absolutely stellar with me in terms of service.  Two 8800GTXs failed from that bump issue, one GTX 280 from the same and barely a week of downtime during the process.  They have also done other things that were definitely going above and beyond like tracking down some extra velcro ties when i gave up after being told they came with the item only.  Was happy to pay for them and they called a week later because someone (don't know who) kept digging into it.  I wanted them because they were the perfect size for the cutouts on the Corsair Crystal 680X, which are tiny, and needed a few to finish the build.  Still don't believe its been only 20 years, really just feels I've known of you guys for longer.

As for why I might be breaking my word I had a similar situation with Corsair recently.  Have a post with a rough draft about it if anyone is interested in finding the thread and reading.

OP: Do what you feel comfortable with.  I made that mistake twice already as it turns out.  Not happening again.

But if you do figure out exactly what the problem is please let us know, dying to know what the issue was.
jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/07/18 11:42:32 (permalink)
WaukeenAt the risk of breaking my word I am going to commend EVGA here for doing the right thing even if the OP went another route.

A little confused here, just wanted to be a bit more clear. After the last refurbished card they sent me, I asked them for the 2nd card back (flickering was better than artifacting) or for a brand new card. They are the ones who offered the refund. I am not upset with EVGA at all.. I've been with them since 2007. In fact, I actually posted after news of refund and was excited... to which I was met with members here saying things along the lines of "well you shouldn't be so excited..." "not sure why this is such good news" etc etc... so then I went back to realistic mode... well yeah I'm obviously not happy that the root problem was not found but I am just saying I'm happy that EVGA did an amazing thing and refunded me even though I bought from another retailer last year. I was still very scared and worried. It's been over 50 days with the most recent Gigabyte 2080ti and I feel a tiny bit better, but still pretty paranoid.

...This paranoia is the major reason I have mixed feelings about EVGA right now. To go through what I went through and to find out that what the issue was... which in this case it honestly just seems like badly tested refurbished cards... man I'm sorry but that's just completely ****ED. Now combine this nightmare with the nightmare I had when delidding my 7700k on the same day that my DOA step up 1080ti from EVGA arrived... ugh that's too many nightmares that could have been easily avoided with better quality control from EVGA man. Then you have the other side... amazing customer service. I mean these sorts of problems can happen with any sort of hardware, even worse considering nvidia had memory controller production issues with RTX -causing a good chunk of this whole mess... but EVGA stepped up with quick service, great communication and in the end- offered a full refund for something that wasn't even purchased through them. (and also most-likely caused by nvidia anyway...) It was an amazing thing to do and I really appreciate it.
WaukeenAs for why I might be breaking my word I had a similar situation with Corsair recently.  Have a post with a rough draft about it if anyone is interested in finding the thread and reading.

I read your draft twice and indeed, that is pretty ****ed up. I was hopeful when I read the new PC specs and that they had agreed to everything but wow I can't believe they've just gone silent for months now since then. I really hope they follow through and you get your new PC... it's the least they could do after this much down time.
WaukeenBut if you do figure out exactly what the problem is please let us know, dying to know what the issue was.

Not sure how much of my thread you've read so far... but honestly I can't see it being anything other than 3 badly repaired and/or tested refurbished cards.
It's nearly been 60 days since two different 2080ti have been working just fine, one of which (the one I kept, in system atm for over ~50 days) passed 30 days of intense 6/7 hour stress tests while the other three refurbished from EVGA couldn't last longer than 14 days, 8 days and 2-3 days with really light load such as a few hours of Division 2 daily.

One more thing.. I'd like to be clear to anyone reading: I'm here for honesty. If there is something flawed with my logic just please lay it down for me. I am still very consumed by all this... Don't worry about being rude or anything, just tell me how stupid I am and what I need to do. I'm just sitting here waiting for DDR5 and Intel to release their next CPU so I can completely throw everything away and go with a new build.

KimbaWLion
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 409
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/07/18 12:19:04 (permalink)
I have ha bad string of MBs from EVGA at one point on the X79 series. And everything was eventually settled. I had other issues and then ended up moving up to the X299 platform over 1.5 years ago. And of all things my EVGA X58 FTW MB STILL works... Go figure uh? I did have some other issues over the years with QUITE a few RMAs. But I can say this, it worked out for me eventually. I had a REAL issue with Corsair Memory too, their Dominator line , their best, supposed hand binned memory chips too...

When I look at things at the end of the day with all my RMAs etc. at least for me it worked out. I stepped up from my 1080Ti to the 2080Ti and after I built it I crossed ALL my fingers and toes as I press that on button, and to MY surprised it fired up and booted of the USB stick for a windows reinstall. You can see my set up below and I went as much EVGA as I could when I felt it was the best option. Every thing was bought on MASSIVE sale like the X299 Dark and the 1600 T2 PSU. 

I do wonder what EVGA will due because I just read that Intel said they will NOT be able to compete with AMD until 2021... Once my PC build gets over 2 years old I get kind if itchy to upgrade... I have not owned an AMD CPU since my ancient dual Opteron 750s on my Pro Tyan Dual CPU MB.... Though those new X570 MB does look great and the performance of the the new AMD Ryzen does out do my I9-7900x by a sizable amount this days...  

I wish you well with your build decisions and future choices.
post edited by KimbaWLion - 2019/07/18 12:49:17

Lian Li O11 EVO XL ll Intel 14900K ll Asrock  Nova MB ll Samsung 990 2TB ll WD 850N 4TB ll Toshiba 8gb hdd ll NZXT Kracken Elite 360 ll 64GB Corsair Platinum Dominator ll EVGA 3080 TI ll Asus Rog Loki SFX 850 PSU

Waukeen
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/07/18 12:51:25 (permalink)
To clarify the trip I have gone on with Corsair, I haven't had downtime but they also still haven't fully honored the terms they agreed to, in addition to people still having the same...problem.  The OP should not be shamed if he went with (I think it was) AMD because at this point it's piece of mind.  Hell I have told people myself when working TS that our company was unable to help them, refunded them then gave them advice on who they should look at as an alternative.  Not one of them complained and all of them came back later for something.

Needless to say, this will the last Corsair kit I use, as it dies it won't be theirs that replaces it.
Waukeen
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/07/18 12:57:42 (permalink)
KimbaWLionI do wonder what EVGA will due because I just read that Intel said they will NOT be able to compete with AMD until 2021... Once my PC build gets over 2 years old I get kind if itchy to upgrade... I have not owned an AMD CPU since my ancient dual Opteron 750s on my Pro Tyan Dual CPU MB.... Though those new X570 MB does look great and the performance of the the new AMD Ryzen does out do my I9-7900x by a sizable amount this days...

EVGA will do what they have always done.  Keep making KA hardware, and providing KA support.  As for Intel, I don't care one way or the other since I build based of what I think will work best.  They will be back and AMD will continue to keep them innovating instead of making 14nm, 14+, 14++ and I am sure the next will be called 14+++ for the node.  In the end it will be better for all.
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile