Helpful ReplyWant honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 628
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 06:18:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 09:44:18
jeffyt
Hmm it's only letting me upload two pics.. size limit I think. I shrunk them a lot but still only 2 uploaded.
I think this should be my 10th post so hopefully this link doesn't get removed:
Thank you Cool GTX, the link actually explains 30 posts for links or to simply insert spaces inbetween the link, so here it is: https:// imgur .com/a/4ygyKis
 https://imgur.com/a/4ygyKis

EDIT: OK so I played Division 2 for 20 min and noticed something funky with the power % while using MSI Afterburner OSD. I saw it spike up behind my 130% power limit. It was shooting up like 133, 131, I even saw 149 for a second. I saw this with the 4th card as well but honestly not sure if it means anything... just thought I mention it here just in case. Everything seems fine so far though. GPU temps were cooler around 75-76 tonight but it was short session.

Link fixed by Cool GTX
[Note: the Size of All attached photos has a Limit - that is why only 2 photos would load for you]

Are you increasing the power % limit? Overall I would not worry about those spikes... However those spikes would be the most likely time that a power supply (like your old Corsair) would have presented issues good call on the Super Nova =).

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 06:20:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 09:44:22
Looks like an old school case! Wheres the intake fans? After all that, I'd say your answer is a heat issue. Your hot case is baking your cards into submission.

Forget cleaning the case. Buy a new one with at least 3/4 intake fans with filters for the cat hair.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 06:43:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 09:44:25
When changing to a Case with improved air flow - would be ideal to make sure nothing is "shorting" against the back of your MB

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

scott@bjorn3d
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 692
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 08:43:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 09:44:28
I love the Eclipse P600S case.  I just moved everything out of the Corsair Obsidian 600 case to it on the old 3960x CPU, 32GB RAM and 2 1080TI's Folding 24x7.  The temps dropped and it all runs cooler.  I even got rid of the Thermal Take Water 2 and went with an Noctua NH-U12S - Premium CPU Cooler with F-F12 120mm Fan

The entire box is cooler and not as loud.

I hate cut and past on this forum, screws up text.

jeffyt
  • Total Posts : 60
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 09:44:09 (permalink)
Cool GTX
This "bracket" is not helping with your temps - as it blocks the hot air that comes out the side of the heatsink.  Can your remove it ?

Hmm.. it does have a 120mm fan inside the bracket that is pushing air from the front of the case to the card, does that make a difference or is that black plastic tab just causing too much restriction regardless of airflow?
Also, thank you for fixing my links!
scott@bjorn3d
Ok just saw an issue in one of your last post, if every having video issue on the 2xxx cards always make sure to take CPU to stock speeds.  We have seen what was thought to be good overclocks actually cause issues with these cards.

So I should drop the 7700k back to stock speeds? Does it matter if the system was fine for over 6 months with the original RTX card or is the overclock one of those long-delay/slow killing things?
jasoncodispotiAre you increasing the power % limit? Overall I would not worry about those spikes... However those spikes would be the most likely time that a power supply (like your old Corsair) would have presented issues good call on the Super Nova =).

Yeah I always leave it at 130% power. Well I mean it's doing the same spiking on this 5th card and new PSU as the 4th card was doing on the Corsair PSU so I was just a bit worried.
AHowes
Looks like an old school case! Wheres the intake fans? After all that, I'd say your answer is a heat issue. Your hot case is baking your cards into submission.

Forget cleaning the case. Buy a new one with at least 3/4 intake fans with filters for the cat hair.

Woaw what are you sure? This is a HAF X. It's a very good airflow case, even on stock fans. ML120 and ML140 magnetic fans from Corsair.

I have a 140mm intake w/ dust covers inside the CD bay, pulls fresh air from the front of the case.
Another 230mm with dust cover down below that with dust covers.
Behind the 230mm is a 120mm intake moving air from the front/HD to the graphic card via the GPU cooler bracket.
There is a 200mm intake w/ dust cover on the side of the case, blowing cool air onto the GPU.
There is a 140mm exhaust at the back near the CPU cooler.
The CPU cooler has two 120mm fans exhausting out.
There is a 200mm exhaust above the CPU, exhausting air out.

Honestly, my temps seem a little better than most people I've seen on air. I've friends who run their rigs around 80cpu and 85gpu while mine are ~usually~ around 70cpu and 75-77gpu with low speed fan curves. Pushing GPU fan to 100 results in 69 during gaming. Idle is more like 36-38 for cpu and 30 for gpu. CPU idle can drop to 22-25 if I remove OC. I'd need to remove RAM OC as well, that's the biggest heat maker I think. These are *mostly* true/avg temps but they can get as high as earlier ones I posted with really intensive benchmarks. I'll try to play Division 2 for maybe an hour or two later today and report temps then to clarify.

Also, do you think that's true if the same case has been fine for over maybe near 10 years now? I've had tons of different hardware in there but the strongest argument I have is that the original RTX carded was in the system for over 6 months with no issues. EVGA also found nothing wrong when sent in RMA, so could it be that the heat was actually doing all this or was it more likely the PSU?

Sorry to keep 'fighting' but I'm just trying to collect the most information and make sure I'm diagnosing things correctly. I have actually been wanting to buy a new case, so if you guys really do think the HAF X and my fans are not up to it, then please just let me know.

Cool GTX
When changing to a Case with improved air flow - would be ideal to make sure nothing is "shorting" against the back of your MB

True, very good point, thank you. One of my biggest issues with this case is that it's too old for the new CPU placement of most MB and requires that I install the motherboard after installing the CPU + CPU cooler onto the MB. otherwise there is no clearance to screw in the CPU cooler on two screws. Point of this is that I may be causing issues like this as well.. I mean it's odd since everything has worked for at least 6 months with the RTX and years with the previous 1080ti, but still want to mention it. Also have been wanting a new case for while.. just keep trying to push it off until next CPU/DDR5 for a full upgrade. I think it might just be better to do it now though... especially after other peoples posts.
scott@bjorn3d
I love the Eclipse P600S case.  I just moved everything out of the Corsair Obsidian 600 case to it on the old 3960x CPU, 32GB RAM and 2 1080TI's Folding 24x7.  The temps dropped and it all runs cooler.  I even got rid of the Thermal Take Water 2 and went with an Noctua NH-U12S - Premium CPU Cooler with F-F12 120mm Fan

The entire box is cooler and not as loud.

I hate cut and past on this forum, screws up text.

I was looking at one of those because it's probably one of the cleanest 'large' style cases that I've wanted but I just love the look of the H500i from NZXT.
I've heard some heating issues with the H500i though... would you still recommend it or the P600S? or any other cases you could possibly recommend?

Guys I just found this post, https:// forums. evga .com/FindPost/2889939
where Cool GTX says "My EVGA 2080Ti see about 40 to 45 C Above "room temp" with an Open case & 100% fans "
This sounds like what I usually get if I use 100% fans on my GPU. I usually get 69 max actually, which seems to be a little better.
Should I maybe just increase my fan curve? Ugh.. I really like quiet fans though.. lol
Also another question from that same thread... how do you check different temps? Like he posted left/top memory etc.. could I get those readings or are those for the FTW3 only?
post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/11 10:59:14

Attached Image(s)

Intel Core i7-7700k | Gigabyte 2080ti | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Corsair RM750i | HAF X
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 11:25:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 11:39:05
jeffyt

Should I maybe just increase my fan curve? Ugh.. I really like quiet fans though.. lol
Also another question from that same thread... how do you check different temps? Like he posted left/top memory etc.. could I get those readings or are those for the FTW3 only?

You could play around with the fan curve.  I think your temps are fine.  It's when maybe they might start baking and rising up after hours of gameplay you might not notice.  Again, these GPUs can handle up to 88c-89c and the GPU will protect itself via thermal shutdown.  If the Vram gets really warm/hot, that could start artifacts as well and cause crashes, etc.  I've seen many show high temps in those areas but in order to have more temps sensors across the PCB, you would need to have a Ultra Gaming iCX2, FTW3 and Kingpin as those are the only ones that come with the iCX2 sensors that give you GPU, VRAM and VRM temps.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 11:27:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 11:39:07
That fan adapter would only serve well for a blower style card. Your card is sucking air from below and blowing out against that fan blowing in and threw the sides of the card. Prob better then nothing I guess since it's the only thing helping pull air in as the weak 200mm fan is blocked from the drive bays.

Newer style cases dont have drive bays blocking the front fans anymore as they made room for 360/480 radiators.

You might be able to move the front drive bay if you can move the drives up top.

I have an older half x case that was better for air flow as it had a side fan blowing right at the card.. but now they dont do that anymore with the glass panel trend. Same 200mm fans in the front and top. Fine for an older pc.. used it for a media pc.

Also used it for a while on my sons pc with a 140mm fan blowing cool air directly at the card.. kept a 1080 classified nice and cool.. and before that a pair of 980s.

So if that case has a steel door or plexy glass door maybe cutting a hole for a 120/140mm fan or 2 will no doubt help a ton.

Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 11:46:24 (permalink)
GTXJackBauerYou could play around with the fan curve.  I think your temps are fine.  It's when maybe they might start baking and rising up after hours of gameplay you might not notice.  Again, these GPUs can handle up to 88c-89c and the GPU will protect itself via thermal shutdown.  If the Vram gets really warm/hot, that could start artifacts as well and cause crashes, etc.  I've seen many show high temps in those areas but in order to have more temps sensors across the PCB, you would need to have a , and as those are the only ones that come with the iCX2 sensors that give you GPU, VRAM and VRM temps.

OK got it, makes more sense considering the 88c thermal limit too. I mean, Intel/nvidia has said their stuff is good near the 90s, so I was a bit shocked when I saw the suggestion that my case might be baking my stuff.
I'll definitely need to report back after a few hours of intense gameplay to make sure the temps do stay in line. Would you say an hour is enough or try for 2-3? Recently been going through shorter and shorter sessions, back/neck pains ugh.. lol
AHowes
That fan adapter would only serve well for a blower style card. Your card is sucking air from below and blowing out against that fan blowing in and threw the sides of the card. Prob better then nothing I guess since it's the only thing helping pull air in as the weak 200mm fan is blocked from the drive bays.

Newer style cases dont have drive bays blocking the front fans anymore as they made room for 360/480 radiators.

You might be able to move the front drive bay if you can move the drives up top.

I have an older half x case that was better for air flow as it had a side fan blowing right at the card.. but now they dont do that anymore with the glass panel trend. Same 200mm fans in the front and top. Fine for an older pc.. used it for a media pc.

Also used it for a while on my sons pc with a 140mm fan blowing cool air directly at the card.. kept a 1080 classified nice and cool.. and before that a pair of 980s.

So if that case has a steel door or plexy glass door maybe cutting a hole for a 120/140mm fan or 2 will no doubt help a ton.

Yeah those 200/230mm fans never seemed to strong to me. I also have a few limited because the noise is too much at full speed for that size. (super sensitive ears lol)
I was thinking of possibly mounting the drives up inside the CD bay somehow but eh.. I think it's better to wait for a new case hehe
I honestly don't like the glass designs now... I don't know if they absorb heat "better" over time or what but Gamernexus does some great case reviews and I don't think anything has come close to the HAF X for air GPU cooling because of that side fan.

EDIT: By the way... do you think that GPU duct could be causing issues where hot air is blowing back onto the memory or some part of the GPU where I can't monitor? Like the FTW3 has more sensors but mine just has 1 general GPU temp sensor. What if my right/top/left memory is overheating or something and happens to be right next to that GPU duct? That black plastic part that's really close to the heatsink.. could that be a possibility? I mean I know it's not touching, the first RTX card lasted over 6 months and other cards like my 1080ti have worked for years... but maybe I should just remove it anyway? Just mount the 120mm fan alone if possible? The 200mm side intake blowing directly on the GPU should be enough fresh air for it anyway if the 120mm fan won't fit alone, right?

Thank you guys for all the input so far! You guys are great!

post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/11 11:53:00

Intel Core i7-7700k | Gigabyte 2080ti | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Corsair RM750i | HAF X
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/11 11:59:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeffyt 2019/05/11 12:09:27
GPU and memory chips are pretty much on the left/middle of the card. The end is all just the vrm area.

Could try with the duct off that fan to see if it helps since it is blocking air from passing threw the fins on the rear of the heatsink.

Yeah if you want quiet the only way to do that is with water cooling and lots of rads with quiet fans.

A hybrid kit might help if you can mount the rad at the rear fan spot.. blowing cool air in threw the rad.

Dont matter now but the 2080ti ftw3 wasn't bad at full blast fans. Much quieter then the older 1080ti ftw3.

Next time go with tripple fan cards.. but by then they could all be hybrids the next round as the cards get hotter and hotter.

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/12 05:57:57 (permalink)
Small update, played some Division 2 last night for about 2 1/2 hours with the last 30 min running MSI Afterburner benchmark. Temps were around 73-75 on the GPU around the 2 hour mark. The clock was around 1890-1950 and I also dropped one setting, Volumetric Fog to low, which resulted in ~20% GPU usage drop and I didn't see the 131-149% power spikes anymore. I think it was mostly around 90-110%, some 120% spikes.

11-05-2019, 21:53:08 TheDivision2.exe benchmark completed, 132952 frames rendered in 2244.234 s
                     Average framerate  :   59.2 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   29.6 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   60.5 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   29.8 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   28.6 FPS

Did notice a tiny amount of stutter since I use vsync and it looks like I averaged 59 fps, so I'll drop nvidia control panel settings to Performance instead of Quality for texture filtering and hope that'll get the 60 average as I've never liked to run any OC on the GPU at all.

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 07:25:21 (permalink)
jeffyt
Small update, played some Division 2 last night for about 2 1/2 hours with the last 30 min running MSI Afterburner benchmark. Temps were around 73-75 on the GPU around the 2 hour mark. The clock was around 1890-1950 and I also dropped one setting, Volumetric Fog to low, which resulted in ~20% GPU usage drop and I didn't see the 131-149% power spikes anymore. I think it was mostly around 90-110%, some 120% spikes.

11-05-2019, 21:53:08 TheDivision2.exe benchmark completed, 132952 frames rendered in 2244.234 s

Did notice a tiny amount of stutter since I use vsync and it looks like I averaged 59 fps, so I'll drop nvidia control panel settings to Performance instead of Quality for texture filtering and hope that'll get the 60 average as I've never liked to run any OC on the GPU at all.

What resolution are you running at? Why do you use vsync? 

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 07:38:30 (permalink)
jasoncodispoti
jeffyt

What resolution are you running at? Why do you use vsync? 

He's using 4k at 60hz thats why the v-sync.

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 08:24:59 (permalink)
jasoncodispotiWhat resolution are you running at? Why do you use vsync?

AHowes

Yes 4k at 60hz, I can't stand the screen tearing. I've heard about scanline with RTSS where you can hide the tear off screen but they say it's only good for 60-70% GPU usage. Anything higher and it still tears normally I think.

I've had some more luck with RTSS FPS limit which seems to have stabilized the frame timing/pace but still averaging the 59 fps unfortunately. 425 drivers have a smoother feeling, but it's been a short test since DDU and installing 425, so it may be placebo for now. Plus I'm a little worried about security so I'll update to the newest 430 drivers soon after some more testing.

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 08:59:23 (permalink)
jeffyt

AHowes

Yes 4k at 60hz, I can't stand the screen tearing. I've heard about scanline with RTSS where you can hide the tear off screen but they say it's only good for 60-70% GPU usage. Anything higher and it still tears normally I think.

I've had some more luck with RTSS FPS limit which seems to have stabilized the frame timing/pace but still averaging the 59 fps unfortunately. 425 drivers have a smoother feeling, but it's been a short test since DDU and installing 425, so it may be placebo for now. Plus I'm a little worried about security so I'll update to the newest 430 drivers soon after some more testing.

Oh that explains the low frame rate... 

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 11:00:34 (permalink)
jeffyt

AHowes

You will want to stay @ 59/60 FPS since that's all your screen can handle at refreshing.  Anything beyond that isn't visible on your screen and only uses up your GPU for nothing.  If you want higher FPS, you'll need a screen with a higher refresh rate than 60hz.  You want to match the Hz with FPS.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 13:44:30 (permalink)
Well guys I'm at a lost of words... everything has gone to crap again.
Started getting tons of crashing every 5-10 min in Division 2 then 1 bsod. I DDU, installed the newest 430.64 drivers but it just keeps crashing.

Still getting the same Event 13 in Event viewer...
The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 5, TPC 1, SM 0): TEX FORMAT Errors

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Sigh.. I have no idea what's going on as I was able to play for hours last night... I had a feeling a new PSU wouldn't do anything.
I just kinda wanna give up and buy a mouse/kb adapter and go console or something this is depressing.

jasoncodispotiOh that explains the low frame rate...

GTXJackBauerYou will want to stay @ 59/60 FPS since that's all your screen can handle at refreshing.  Anything beyond that isn't visible on your screen and only uses up your GPU for nothing.  If you want higher FPS, you'll need a screen with a higher refresh rate than 60hz.  You want to match the Hz with FPS.

Yeah... I'm trying to get a stable 60fps because of vsync. When it drops below 60, it stutters.
If I unlock FPS, I think I get around 80-90 fps.
post edited by Sajin - 2019/05/14 12:10:00

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 13:47:43 (permalink)
Maybe time for windows re install?

If you have locked up enough in that game maybe the game install is messed up now. Have you tried to reinstall the game fresh? If its steam I believe theirs a file checker for the game that can scan to see if the install is fine or corrupt.
post edited by AHowes - 2019/05/13 13:49:54

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 13:51:03 (permalink)
memory dump, bsod
dropbox .com/s/kr9h3t3duycbjqq/MEMORY.7z?dl=0

I've deleted the My Documents thing for Division 2 but not reinstall the game... I guess I'll try that but the Event ID 13 is the same as before so eh.. Ill prob try another fresh windows install later tonight.. dont have much left to lose now I guess

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 14:37:29 (permalink)
welp seems like dropping core/memory -200 and -300 from STOCK has got it working for over 20 min now.. it was to the point of crashing every 5 min... I'll test later tonight.. but event 13 seems to lead to GPU hardware issue... so honestly I feel like this was just a case of EVGA sending me 3 broken cards man. all 3 have very similar serial numbers and are re-certified. nightmare status

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 15:45:37 (permalink)
I found 19,619 Event ID 13 errors - dropbox.com/s/2se69hsmst9ssgx/lol.evtx?dl=0
and it starts from 4/12, the same day the first "re-certified" card arrived.
PSU probably had nothing to do with it.

1st card
    dead fan
    09/29/18rma start
    10/04/18liveredreplacement

2ndcard
    flickering
    04/10/19rma start
    04/12/19deliveredreplacement

3rd card
    artifacting
    04/20/19rma start
    04/24/19deliveredreplacement

4th card
    artifacting
    05/08/19rma start
    05/10/19deliveredreplacement

Division 2 has been running for about an hour with the only difference being -200/-300 from STOCK speeds. I think it's just degrading memory.
post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/19 07:39:29

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 15:59:25 (permalink)
Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA.
I have Four Cards with Micron Memory Instead of Samsung Memory and I have no issues with them.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 17:04:24 (permalink)
Went 1 hour in Division 2, full game play, no afk, the only change has been the -200 and -300 downclocks and an average of -1 fps, so it seems like a bad factory OC or degrading hardware/memory so far.
post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/19 07:40:08

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 17:15:25 (permalink)
What version of Windows are you using? 

Edit: That dump file that you provided indicates that the blue screen occurred due to a DPC_Watchdog_Violation which typically indicates some type of hard drive issue, most of the time firmware or driver issue... Investigating stand by. What SSD drive do you have? Or HDD? Or both?
post edited by jasoncodispoti - 2019/05/13 17:20:12

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 17:25:38 (permalink)
jasoncodispoti

Edit: That dump file that you provided indicates that the blue screen occurred due to a DPC_Watchdog_Violation which typically indicates some type of hard drive issue, most of the time firmware or driver issue... Investigating stand by. What SSD drive do you have? Or HDD? Or both?

Honestly, I appreciate it but I feel like if the only change I made was -200/-300 on clocks of GPU that fixed it... I mean.. how could it possibly even be anything else?

Anyways, I'm running Windows 10 and I have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB as main windows/game drives. With two storage HDD, 8tb and 3tb.  WDC WD30EZRZ-00WN9B0 and WDC WD80EFZX-68UW8N0

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 17:47:07 (permalink)
Well if that's the only change and its stable now. Its gotta be another bad card.

Keep testing.. and contact evga again about it and hopefully without you even suggesting it, they send you a new card this time.. if not, ask for one.

Have they even tested the cards your sending back to report one what they found?

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 17:55:39 (permalink)
AHowes
Well if that's the only change and its stable now. Its gotta be another bad card.

Keep testing.. and contact evga again about it and hopefully without you even suggesting it, they send you a new card this time.. if not, ask for one.

Have they even tested the cards your sending back to report one what they found?

I think you are right and unfortunately I don't think anything was wrong with the PSU in the first place.

I still have the game open, I've alt-tabbed a few times and nothing has crashed yet. Honestly at this point, I'm not sure if I should just keep the card at -200/-300 since it actually works at downclocked speeds... who knows how long the next RMA card works.. unless they finally agree to sending me a brand new one instead of refurbished. or I guess until this one stops working even at those downclocked speeds.

Let me just summarize to clarify:
I get a 2080ti 6/7 months ago from Newegg. 1 dead fan. RMA it.
2nd card works great for 6/7 months.
Both of these cards came in brand new, retail packaging.
2nd card had a random 'flicker' that was different than a standard black screen, it was a broken up image.
-Existed since the beginning but was getting worse.
RMA 2nd card about a month ago.
3rd card arrives and lasts 8 days. Artifacts.
4th card arrives and lasts 14 days. Artifacts.
Replaced the PSU with EVGA 850w and 5th died within ~2 days
Downclocking has brought it back up for a while

The only card EVGA has confirmed artifacting so far is 3rd. Waiting for 4th/5th card results.
post edited by jeffyt - 2019/05/19 07:45:29

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 17:59:20 (permalink)
jeffyt
bcavnaugh
Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA.
I have Four Cards with Micron Memory Instead of Samsung Memory and I have no issues with them.

And I bet none of them were RMA or refurbished? Either way I'm sure there are a lot of 2080ti's with Micron, they just tend to be reported more than Samsung.

Anyways, just went 1 hour in Division 2, full game play, no afk, the only change has been the -200 and -300 downclocks and an average of 1 fps, so it seems like a bad factory OC or degrading hardware/memory so far.

This is with your Motherboard Set to Auto on the CPU and Memory or are you Overclocking your CPU and Memory on your Motherboard?

"clarity: 1st card: newegg, retail packaging. 2nd card: evga, retail packing 3rd/4th/5th: evga, RMA re-certified/refurbished non-retail very basic packaging."
So you are now on your 5th Card?

jeffyt
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 18:10:56 (permalink)
bcavnaughThis is with your Motherboard Set to Auto on the CPU and Memory or are you Overclocking your CPU and Memory on your Motherboard?

"clarity: 1st card: newegg, retail packaging. 2nd card: evga, retail packing 3rd/4th/5th: evga, RMA re-certified/refurbished non-retail very basic packaging."
So you are now on your 5th Card?

I haven't touched my CPU/memory overclock in probably over a year or longer but I do it manually for CPU with multiplier of 48 and I forgot the vcore atm but I think I was able to stability test at 1.28. Memory I use XMP and 3200 like the stick is rated. I've done 7+ hour memtest86 with multiple passes and no errors but I've heard I need to do it for over 24hours. but again I really don't think any of this would be an issue if dropping cores -200/-300 has stabilized for all these hours...

Yes I am on the 5th card. The 5th card is in my system and is on the -200 and -300 clocks.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 18:12:56 (permalink)
I would set your Motherboard Back to the Defaults and Remove any Overclocking.
Or at lest set it back to the Max Turbo Frequency  4.50 GHz
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97129/intel-core-i7-7700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html
4.8 GHz is going to be to high for an RTX Card on Older Processors.
And make sure the Intel® HD Graphics 630 is Disabled in the Bios.

Best of luck on your 5th Card.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/05/13 18:17:01

jasoncodispoti
SSC Member
Re: Want honest opinion about my four 2080ti RMA 2019/05/13 18:17:01 (permalink)
jeffyt
jasoncodispoti

Honestly, I appreciate it but I feel like if the only change I made was -200/-300 on clocks of GPU that fixed it... I mean.. how could it possibly even be anything else?

Anyways, I'm running Windows 10 and I have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB as main windows/game drives. With two storage HDD, 8tb and 3tb.  WDC WD30EZRZ-00WN9B0 and WDC WD80EFZX-68UW8N0

Something has to be at play here there is no way that you have received this many bad GPUs. Couple of things to keep in mind here... One if the PSU was not working correctly is possible that it has damaged other devices within your system that could now be causing the issues that you are experiencing. Second thing is Windows does not like crashing or a lot of hardware changes, both of which you have had a lot of. 

Your not going to like this, but its time to bring out the nuclear option...
  1. You will need to go into the BIOS and reset all settings back to factory defaults and them leave them unchanged. 
  2. Update the BIOS to the most recent version, 7A62v17 https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-M3#down-bios
  3. Re-install Windows 10, complete clean install of the OS using the Windows 10 media installation tool found here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. (may want to create the media prior to doing steps 1 and 2)
  4. Once the install is complete you need to install all of the applicable drivers for the motherboard which can be located here, https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-GAMING-M3#down-driver&Win10%2064.
  5. Reboot PC.
  6. Install Nvidia Drivers. 
  7. Reboot PC.
  8. Check for and install all Windows 10 updates. You will need to keep repeating this step until you no longer find additional Windows updates to install. 
  9. Download and install the Samsung Magician software, open the software and confirm that your SSD health is GOOD and that its running the latest firmware, software can be located here https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/magician/.
  10. Download and install OCCT found here, http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download. After you have installed OCCT you are going to want to run the OCCT test for 1 hour using a Large Data Set. This will help to confirm that the CPU, motherboard, and RAM are stable and not having issues. 
  11. It would be ideal if you could test the ram to 98% coverage using Karhusoftware's RAM Test application, but this is a paid application and you can skip if you feel that you most. The application can be found here, https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/.
  12. Now we need to test the GPU using something like 3DMark's FireStrike Extreme on a 1 hour loop would be ideal, but once again this is a paid application. If you dont want to purchase 3DMark than go ahead and use FurMark and run the stress test for 1 hour. You can locate and download Furmark from here, https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5462-furmark.html.
Goes without saying that the above steps will result in data loss so you should create a full backup of your system prior to doing anything that I mentioned above. If it all possible I would NOT install any other software on this PC until you have completed all of the above testing. Assuming that all tests pass I would not install any additional software expect for a game or two and I would not make any changes to any default settings (this includes anything that you are doing to limit screen tearing). I know that this is not ideal, but at this point I dont really see where there is any other option... We need to eliminate the software, motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc as be the root cause of your issues this testing methodology should narrow down the problem area.

I know this sucks man, but just keep looking forward! 
post edited by jasoncodispoti - 2019/05/13 20:20:14

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile