EVGA

Helpful ReplyWARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad.

Author
alex.williams
  • Total Posts : 75
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/04/17 21:49:19 (permalink)
I highly recommend you take out the battery even if it's working to prevent damage to your machine and just use it with AC power. I had this happen with 2 Dell Venue Pro tablets. There's no way to set keep battery at 75%, which I think could've prevented this from happening. I'm going to call evga tmrw to see if they can replace the trackpad.
alex.williams
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/04/17 21:51:26 (permalink)
Sorry, thought I had images on the first post, images here:

Attached Image(s)

vistarshook
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 344
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/04/17 22:14:22 (permalink)
Real Bummer. I also not happy with my purpose. Not battery bulge (yet) but I did get a defective screen.

EVGA SC17 4K G-SYNC | i7-7820HK | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Samsung 960 Pro 2TB + 2TB Micron 1100| Firestrike | CB15@4.9GHz
Razer Blade 14 FHD | i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Samsung SM961 1TB | Firestrike

apsese
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/04/18 03:25:29 (permalink)
Good thing you noticed this as it is very dangerous.

finally a signature without that associate code
alex.williams
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/04/19 10:06:23 (permalink)
vistarshook
Real Bummer. I also not happy with my purpose. Not battery bulge (yet) but I did get a defective screen.

I'm now using it as a VMware Linux server and HTPC since portability is lost; since also the trackpad is not working, I'm using a logitech wireless RF keyboard to connect to it.

Ugh, sorry to hear that, dead pixels or led dimness? I got mine with a few dead pixels but never liked the display regardless since it was matte and used it with my Dell S2740L glossy monitor, now it's plugged into my Sony Bravia TV that's 10 years old and still working brilliantly.
alex.williams
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/04/19 10:15:22 (permalink)
apsese
Good thing you noticed this as it is very dangerous.

I was RDP'd into the SC17 for a month and noticed it started to act wacky, like Windows Explorer not showing files and not showing any network PC's, etc...so I opened it up and noticed that. As that happened with my Dell Venue's too when the battery bulged...but worse with the Dell Venues, it not only damaged the NIC card, but it also bulged against the IPS display pushing it out damaging the screen. Also, to an old Ipad, took pics of that too of the damage.

This isn't planned obsolescence, it's planned destruction. State AG's need to get involved, this isn't like the battery is dead so you can't just use it portable anymore because no one makes that battery, it actually damages your property. All my previous Dell's and HP's and Compaq's (16 years old) still have a battery in them because the casing prevented that, there's no reason these batteries need to be constructed this way the way they are now other than the obvious, damage your machine in a year or so, so you're forced to buy a new one.
xvga1
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/05 06:25:05 (permalink)
Really interested to know what happened there. Did it go dead all of a sudden? What did you do after?
qbert123
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/05 18:19:34 (permalink)
I also have this issue with my SC17 but I dont have the tool required to open up my laptop to find out if it is the battery (ordered and will know by Thursday). I also have the added bonus of my laptop dying today so maybe it is related.

post edited by qbert123 - 2020/05/05 18:21:45

Attached Image(s)

alex.williams
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/06 09:42:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2020/05/06 10:28:31
Same as mine, mine didn't die, but acted erratic.

Here are the steps to remove the battery:

Steps:
1. Shutdown your laptop / unplug it.
2. Place laptop on a soft towel, with the rear cover facing you. Remove the rear cover screws.
3. After the bottom case is opened/removed, look for the cable from the battery to the motherboard and disconnect it (it's very obvious.) To remove the cable, a plastic fork or credit card will work...just be gently and rock the corners, don't pull from the center until your 85% out / loose) I used the ifixit pick.
4. Unscrew all the screws that hold the battery and remove.
5. Compress air clean everything while your there.
6. Put cover back on / screw and insert power cable and turn on.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/06 10:30:43 (permalink)
Thanks for sharing the step to disassemble

Obviously if your under warranty .. I would just send it in ... backup your data first

so are replacement batteries available for purchase ?

Is the charger overcharging ... if laptop is left plugged in all the time ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

alex.williams
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/06 10:53:31 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Thanks for sharing the step to disassemble

Obviously if your under warranty .. I would just send it in ... backup your data first

so are replacement batteries available for purchase ?

Is the charger overcharging ... if laptop is left plugged in all the time ?

Thanks as well, but looking here: https://www.evga.com/warranty/laptops/

The battery only has a 1 year warranty. I think for all of us, it's been more than a year. Even if it was a 5 year warranty, I would never put in that type of battery again due to the damage it can create, unless if it was in a steel cage like batteries prior to the "Crapple" standard. In addition, Dell has added in the BIOS a way to set the battery when to stop charging like at 65%, stop charging and run AC directly, which I asked here a long time ago when I got it to add that too, but was never done, so if you have it plugged in all the time, it will be constantly charging. Again, that's not a guarantee, these batteries can go at anytime for any inherit defect or by design by cheap components/manufacturing giving it only a 1 year lifespan before failures occur, just enough to be outside of the warranty. Unplugging it is really not a solution either, as with my Dell Venue tablets and one ipad, the battery still swelled when unplugged. The Ipad and Venue Pro was a disaster, took out the screen and the NIC card.  I still have a Compaq and bunch of old HP's/Dells/Fujitsu Lifebooks and a Toshiba Tecra from 2000 (with Win2k) with batteries that don't have this issue. Yes, the batteries are dead, but they didn't swell and damage the laptop, most still work fine, and the others can work, they just need new fans or they will overheat in use because of fan failure after 20 years.

Lastly, shipping would cost more than just providing evga a serial # and sending in the damaged battery rather than the whole laptop. But again, why take another chance? Why can't we go back to the battery design that was effective for decades?
qbert123
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/06 10:54:07 (permalink)
The problem I have is it wont get past the boot screen to backup or access my data my data, I can get into the bios just fine though. It will get to the EVGA logo splash screen with the loading circle thing and just restart; it will do that until I manually shut it down to stop it. I tried loading up a linux distro thinking it was a windows loading error and it also just shuts down once it starts to load. Since I use the computer for work I cant just send it in for repair with all my work data on the hard drives without first backing it up and putting a fresh copy of windows on it.

alex.williams
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/06 11:05:13 (permalink)
qbert123
The problem I have is it wont get past the boot screen to backup or access my data my data, I can get into the bios just fine though. It will get to the EVGA logo splash screen with the loading circle thing and just restart; it will do that until I manually shut it down to stop it. I tried loading up a linux distro thinking it was a windows loading error and it also just shuts down once it starts to load. Since I use the computer for work I cant just send it in for repair with all my work data on the hard drives without first backing it up and putting a fresh copy of windows on it.

Is this with the battery plugged in? I highly recommend don't keep it on and keep the laptop open so if it expands further, the pressure will go through the trackpad to relieve it, if you close it, it may damage the screen too with the trackpad pushing into the screen. The voltage / amperage may also damage your machine with the defective battery...just shutdown and take out the battery as soon as you get the driver. Call EVGA and tell them you have to due this to prevent further damage. Imagine shipping this with a defective battery installed, it's a real hazard with all the throwing around the laptop will take in transit. Again, I wouldn't replace the battery, just run it off of AC, as the replacement would probably fail too, esp. since if EVGA has a stock of batteries for warranty replacements, they are probably all 1-2 years old already.
qbert123
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/07 08:38:14 (permalink)
Sent a ticket in to EVGA and they told me there is nothing they can do about the battery since it is no longer under warranty. I just feel as this goes beyond a warranty issue and this level of problem presents a reason to recall the laptops for all their customers.

*edit* my battery also was bulging, more on the left half than the right. I ended up removing it which fixed the tract-pad issue, but computer still wont boot. Figure I basically stuck with a lemon now so Ill just scavenge what I can from it. Anyways lesson learned, never going to buy another gaming laptop again since once something goes wrong there is no easy part fix.
post edited by qbert123 - 2020/05/07 13:44:54
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/07 14:41:58 (permalink)
I made a reminder to pull my SC17 out and check it. I will probably take the battery out and put it in a lipo battery bag either way. I hope it isn't already swollen and that my SC17 isn't already damaged.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/09 20:08:03 (permalink)
I pulled out my SC 17.  It has been sitting in its box for over a year.  No obvious signs of damage.  But I don't dare plug it in.  These laptops are notorious for draining their batteries, and I am sure that the battery is drained dangerously low.  As soon as I plug it in, it could start a dangerous chemical reaction.

What good is a laptop if the battery can no longer be trusted?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

xvga1
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/05/15 12:32:53 (permalink)
ty_ger07
I pulled out my SC 17.  It has been sitting in its box for over a year.  No obvious signs of damage.  But I don't dare plug it in.  These laptops are notorious for draining their batteries, and I am sure that the battery is drained dangerously low.  As soon as I plug it in, it could start a dangerous chemical reaction.

I have only pulled it out recently to properly use it. I have been charging it every 02 weeks or so, to avoid damaging battery because of low charge. Please do that if you care about battery. I think once per week should be better since I started noticing my battery charges only to 95% despite doing what I did. 
topdog__evga
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/06/27 09:51:01 (permalink)
Had to remove my battery today.

Beware, if it's been a while like that, the metal chassis of the laptop case is actually keeping the battery cells somewhat compressed.  When you finally do open it, the cells will likely expand a bit further.  There were indentation marks from where it was pressing on other things, looked like a potential puncturing risk as well.  Overall, it was about 3x as thick as it should be.  Had this been a plastic chassis or where the screw threads were, they would have ripped/stripped themselves long ago.

I've never let the battery discharge for long periods of time (it's probably only been fully out of power and shut itself down about 5 times in total, and each time recharged again shortly after).

Just something about the power draw / thermal design of these laptops I think.  Sometimes under load the battery would get super hot, and even the charger would also get super hot (too hot to hold without burning) and even also shutdown itself.  I have a few chargers, all official, and there's nothing notably wrong or defective about any of them.

Now I'm just tethered to a power cord :(

Attached Image(s)

topdog__evga
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/06/27 09:53:10 (permalink)
Another angle of it.  For some reason I couldn't get the server to accept the shrunken image size before to be within the 500Kb limit.

Attached Image(s)

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/06/27 12:06:03 (permalink)
xvga1
ty_ger07

I have only pulled it out recently to properly use it. I have been charging it every 02 weeks or so, to avoid damaging battery because of low charge. Please do that if you care about battery. I think once per week should be better since I started noticing my battery charges only to 95% despite doing what I did. 

Fully charging a lithium battery is nearly as bad for the battery as allowing it to drain until the voltage cut-off point.  No thanks.
In either fully charged or fully discharged state, it is less chemically stable.
I ended up charging mine up to about 70%, and then removed the battery.
With the battery removed, it should not discharge significantly for a year or more. If it still does discharge rather rapidly while being removed, there is something wrong with the battery or the battery's built-in battery management circuitry.

And, once per week you are charging it?  Since it discharges in about a week (this is well documented), if you charge it once per week, you are essentially cycling it from completely full to completely empty, once per week.  Those cycles alone will kill it; might be worse for the battery than just leaving the battery discharged (hard to be sure).

topdog__evga
I've never let the battery discharge for long periods of time (it's probably only been fully out of power and shut itself down about 5 times in total, and each time recharged again shortly after).

All you need to do is leave the laptop anywhere unplugged from the AC adapter for a week, and it will be dead.  The laptop has some sort of design defect which drains the battery.  The always-on USB power might be a source of the battery drain, but there is probably also something else.  It's not because of sleep or hibernation or rapid start or any Windows doodads; even with those disabled, after turning the laptop fully off, the laptop drains the battery within a week.

That is why I have now partially charged the battery and then removed it.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/06/27 21:25:01

Spirery1070
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/10/24 07:01:11 (permalink)
Just took my battery out as the track pad was starting to rise up and it was 3 times the size always on a cooling pad always on power as gaming on the battery was pointless.It says on the battery don’t exceed 45c and the system temp when gaming reaches 55 flawed design they should of been recalled tbh my wife’s 10 year old  laptop battery lasted longer and she used it more with no cooling mat and it was fine .
post edited by Spirery1070 - 2020/10/26 13:37:31

EVGA SC17 4K i7 GTX 1070 GSYNC

Meatypaws
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/10/26 09:44:16 (permalink)
Well...Now I know why my trackpad is popping up. There goes the "portability" of my laptop. Nothing EVGA can do atm. Warranty ended a year ago. I won't bother buying a new battery then. Thanks for the info everyeone!
Spirery1070
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/10/28 02:17:24 (permalink)
It was always just a mobile desktop tbh gaming on the battery only lasted 22 mins laptop made by gamers for gamers rofl.

daemarre
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2020/11/02 21:42:23 (permalink)
Sad to hear.  Like you, my battery seems shot too.

My situation is different.  I have so many "toys" that I have barely used this laptop.  Bought it Dec 2015, maybe used it a few days that month, put it in a box, used it once a year or two later, put it back in box, then went to use it this past Fri (10/23) and the battery is not recognized and not charging.

I have experienced swelling though, with other devices.  My Motorola Razrr (not the flip), my ipod touch, and a Samsung galaxy tablet.  Leaving them on a charger without using them for weeks, months, years will cause the battery to swell and eventually start popping things like the screen or other parts... and the dangerous part is that the battery could BURST, causing damage and/or fire!!!  So now, I do not keep devices on charge or in 'docking stations' anymore.  I turned the power strip off for all of my portables, like my 3DS, PSP, PSP go, PS VITA, etc...  

One thing that I am going to try (with my laptop battery) is to 'jump charge it'.  I am going to try to check the voltage to see if I get a reading (I realize I won't get a reading if it has a solid state switch though) and if I get something< I will try to 'charge' it until I get it to the proper voltage, then see if the laptop will recognize it.   

I first learned about that stuff a few years back when I went to use power tools that have sat in their boxes for a year or so and then the batteries weren't charging (brand new out of the box).  Seems if they fall below a certain voltage you can 'hot wire them' to another power source (best to use equal type) to bring them up to a recognizable voltage and then the charger will usually 'authenticate' them and start charging them.  Had that happen with some Milwaukee M18 Fuel batteries, a Dewalt 20V battery, and an Echo 48V battery... none would charge (brand new out of box) but after jumpering the right pins to soft charge them and bring them up from a super low (or non existent) voltage to around the proper voltage, 18, 20, etc.. then the charger took over.

**NOTE** that is dangerous and can cause the batteries to explode!  I would recommend anyone trying that to A) use eye protection and B) do it outside .   Good luck!
dothedew72
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2021/02/20 09:01:42 (permalink)
Meatypaws
Well...Now I know why my trackpad is popping up. There goes the "portability" of my laptop. Nothing EVGA can do atm. Warranty ended a year ago. I won't bother buying a new battery then. Thanks for the info everyeone!

This shouldn't just be a warranty issue, they used cheap parts and there's tons of posts on these forums and elsewhere about this issue. It's a common issue because of their cheap parts and theyre too cheap to do a proper recall or replacement. 
Swollen batteries are fire hazards. Period. I brought this up to their support and they said "well there's no reports of our batteries causing fires".... because despite that swollen batteries are a known danger, because it hasn't happened yet to THEM it's  fine. **** EVGA. 
Spirery1070
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2021/02/21 21:47:59 (permalink)
Would never go evga again after this laptop lucky i took mine out last year when the track pad started to lift wife has a old hp and that batterys fine never had a problem with any laptop batterys before.Tbh the laptops should be recalled got mine as a replacement for my asus wish i just got my money back.

BizSAR
EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 1712
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2021/02/25 22:52:15 (permalink)
Has anyone found a replacement battery?

BizSAR
EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
Spirery1070
Re: WARNING EVGA SC17 LAPTOP Battery Swelled and took out trackpad. 2021/02/26 06:18:27 (permalink)
Nope not in the uk

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile