Author
Pastulio
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/07/22 23:12:05 (permalink)
Hello, again

Quick backstory: I've just acquired my first cellular-phone in more than thirteen years; Samsung Galaxy S8+. Included with it was a "Gear V.R.". Originally, I was going to throw it in the trash (EBay) because I had no intention of using it. However, after researching some functionality with it ... I'm glad I hadn't. More recently, I've switched to Windows10 (Regretfully. Not as much, now though [game related reasons]). Apparently, there is an application which you can use for your phone to connect the GearVR to your computer to stream your desktop, with NVidia.

Because the connections are all affiliated through the network, and not tethering(*[?]), I have been able to use my computer from nowhere near the tower, or a television. I went all the out to a chair in my backyard and was able to remotely use my computer, with this GearVR, without any (noticeable) hiccups / latency concerns (and, obviously, wireless keyboard+mouse).
So far, I have been successful in playing anything and everything not related to Steam/Origin. (I can load the games, from Steam/Origin, but am restricted to using keyboard+mouse [versus wireless controller].)

I connected a bluetooth controller (DS4) as well and have enjoyed games unaffiliated with Steam/Origin [i.e.: "OverWatch"/Gears of War 4"]--all from the convenience of laying back on a bed, with a gamepad in hand (and what almost feels like a private IMAX set-up all to myself).

In my SteamLibrary, I have a plethora of games to choose from,, but am wanting to load up 'DOOM' to experience it in a more immersive manner. Unfortunately, Steam has some sort of technical in-correction (I can't rightly call it a glitch, because it isn't). What I've deduced, by demo-ing "Call of Duty: Black Ops III" with this set-up (another title, through Steam) is that my gamepad, essentially, is not-priority; and the GearVR is the priority external-connected 'gamepad' ... confusing? Unfortunately, I do not rightly know well how else to put it.
In CoD:BOIII: When using the gamepad, I was able to load up Split-Screen Nazi Zombies. The controller was then controlling player 2 (bottom screen). The only way that I can play titles via Steam, with this set-up, is by situating myself at my desk with the keyboard and mouse. Which basically defeats the purpose of having in-home portable "virtual" gaming. Non-Steam titles (such as, "Gears of War 4"/"OverWatch") all seem seamless.  :)

Anyone else attempted such a set-up? / ran into this problem? / know of a means to bypass Steam and access my SteamLibrary content without having to use Steam to do so?
-Curious how to accomplish for yourself?-
http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3346231/play-games-samsung-gear.html <-Check it Out (with it, I am able to use my computer in it's entirety in a 'virtual' manner [excluding Steam/Origin])
post edited by Pastulio - 2017/07/22 23:33:28

3 Replies Related Threads

Pastulio
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Virtual Desktop Gaming, Reality? 2017/07/23 02:33:06 (permalink)
    Okay.
    A lot of effort and research of hours later, but I've finally succeeded. I now have a portable virtual computer. I am using a backpack, a laptop, a GearVR, bluetooth acoustic-noise cancelling headphones, a bluetooth universal qwerty-remote + mousepad, and a DS4 controller. I just got done with fragging Zombies in CoD and am going to investigate a creepy manor in RE7 ...
    After following the guide to get everything synchronized and compatible/cooperating, I had to manually "rename" a .dll file in some registrars. ... ... reading through the "NvStreamSrv" contents, I found some 'dll' files named rxgamepadinput and rxinput , changed the extensions from .dll to ".dll.old" (as suggested by someone from previous build via reddit) and now, everything is functioning.
    Best of luck to any and all looking to accomplish a similar set-up.
    GameON.
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Virtual Desktop Gaming, Reality? 2017/07/23 11:26:46 (permalink)
    WOW, that sounds pretty cool.  Personally not into VR (cant wear my glasses in it, and VR/3d works by messing with depth perception, which mine is VERY poor, so doesn't work right on me) but the genre does look pretty cool and has some definite potential.  Glad you are enjoying it, and it sounds like it is working really well for you.

For the sake of the community, maybe you could provide the links you made this work from and what additional steps you found to get it going, as there is almost always something the instructions didn't cover.  That could be a good How-To to keep around.
    Pastulio
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Virtual Desktop Gaming, Reality? 2017/07/24 23:32:08 (permalink)
    Certainly -- at least, I'll try as I can to support:

*NOTE* [Required Hardware/Equipment/Software(s)] You will need:
    - an NVidia chipset orientated GPU greater than or equal to at least a 600Series (i.e.: I used a 1080GTX to accomplish this)
    - "GeForce Experience" (software). Easiest method of acquisition: when installing your video-drivers (with affiliated NVidia GPU's) just select automatic-installation(*) [or manually install it, from the list]
    - a VR Headset (Gear VR / Cardboard -- I managed with the GearVR) compatible with a compatible phone(*). {I recommend a "Gear VR". If you do not have one, they range anywhere around the ~$20.00(U.S.)~ range via EBay -- *compatible "phone" required to use--or, buy 'used/refurbished' for cheap*, as a 100% designated VR-Headset screen)
    - WiFi Network
    - Additional personal-preferences of play (gamepads / joysticks / w.e.) method(s). (i.e.: Myself, I've switched to using an Xbox-One controller as it essentially is plug and play with W10 [now features BlueTooth connectivity, too], because of the option to enhance it to support a headphone+microphone [through the gamepad] -- making communicating from within a VR-Headset, without a convenient keyboard+mouse in reach, an easier obstacle to overcome.)
    - Did I mention this is the only redeemable feature (in my opinion) of Windows 10 [in-case it isn't obvious here: you will need Windows10 O.S. {supposedly}]?

Got your materials list in order and checked off?
    Great.
    Now: Follow the aforementioned link, for guidance on how to get your mobile-device (phone) suited to equip the VR with, to be able to connect to your designated gaming-computer (here, again: http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3346231/play-games-samsung-gear.html) {*Incase something should happen to that URL, esssentially: Install an application to your mobile-device called, "SideloadVR" which is in-essence a third-party version of GooglePlayStore(*).
    - From SideloadVR, (still on your mobile) locate an available application called, "Stream Theater"--which is an NVidia propietary software mod, but your phone will not recognize it as such (presumably); so you may need to allow restrictions/permissions before getting it to function accordingly. Keep at it, and remember: You're better than technology.
    - After ensuring that on your mobile you've successfully acquired the "Stream Theater" app: reconfirm your computer has "GeForce Experience" at-the-ready.
    - From your terminal, you will need to acquire your designated computer's "IPv4" address, if you don't know how to do this: Run your Command line -- if you don't know how to do this, just click your Windows-Start icon (bottom left of your monitor) once, once that is popped up, using your keyboard, type, "cmd", then tap "[Enter/Return]"(*).
    - Now, from the Command-Prompt: type, "ipconfig" and press "[Enter/Return]" ... a list of information will come up. Just concern yourself with the one that says, "IPv4  .......... 'xxx.xxx.x.x'" [by the way, 'x' is what is referred to as a variable. If you do not know/understand/comprehend this, give up now.]
    - Write down your IPv4 address -- because, a short-pencil beats a long-memory any day -- typically it will read something like this (for example) "192.168.0.'x'".
    - Now, load up "GeForce Experience" and locate your settings tab (image looks like a cog, located near the top right of the application). Go to the "SHIELD" tab, and look for an option which says "GAMESTREAM". You'll want to ensure that this option is enabled. Once confirming this, proceed to your headset.
    - *Double-check that your mobile-device is located on the same wi-fi network as your desktop*
    - Load "Stream Theater" from your mobile-device. Follow the instructions (solely: place in headgear). Once the software loads, it will show you an option to "add a pc" to start streaming from. Using your virtual-controls, tap to be brought to the next screen ... which is where you'll want to input the designated "IPv4" -- uh-oh! It's written on paper, somewhere in the real world! And you're now in the virtual world! Hopefully your memory can remember things from a time long past ... at this interval, that's an important digit required to proceed with!
    - Once having input the IPv4 digit (i.e.: 192.168.0.11), it will prompt you with a "PIN" upon attempting to connect to it (again).
    - Remove the headset -- "Welcome (back) to the real-world." -- and notice that "GeForce Experience" now has a pop-up window stating that a device is requesting permission to access your computer? You'll want to input the recently acquired virtual pin into the real-world software to imbue your physical computer with the mystical powers of transporting you to a virtual spectrum. Once having done so, there is no going back ... (without completely removing/uninstalling any/all related/pertaining files* affiliated with now both your terminal and mobile)

- Congratulations. When next you load "Stream Theater" from your phone and connect it to your VR headset, you'll have one door to pass through before being prompted with your game library.}**.
    After having confirmed/ensured everything to be compatible and functioning: the easiest method for full-control functionality without hassle, in my opinion, is by utilizing Valve's 'Steam's' "Big Picture".
    Want to actually use one of your joysticks with variants that may cause issue (namely, "Steam" / "Origin")? If so,
    Next you'll want to locate your install files to rename a few of them to allow multiple joysticks/gamepads to function simultaneously without error (from my experience).
    Depending on your O.S. architecture (x32 / x64) you will need to locate your directories in either your "Program Files" folder, and/or "Program Files (x86)" folder. From within the contents of either of the two of these index's, locate your "NVIDIA Corporation" folder. Once here, you'll see a folder designated, "NvStreamSrv" ... here, you'll notice two '.dll' files named, "rxgamepadinput" and "rxinput" ... at the end of the extension (.dll), rename it so both look like, "...nput.dll.old". Depending on updates, you may need to do this again in the future.

Once done with these steps, it is as simple as loading Steam Big Picture from within your headgear and using your preferred gamepad (DS4/Xbox360/w.e.) to control Steam (and any compatible game) with.
    *When not using a gamepad, and making use of my desktop in a virtual manner (keyboard+mouse & not playing video-games), the easiest method I found to accomplish the task, is to load something trivial that doesn't demand much performance from your VR Stream Theater (i.e.: BeJeweled) ... once the game is launched and open, simply alt+tab / windows-key / *don't-close* ... ... now, you're at your standard desktop interface -- IN VIRTUAL REALITY (or really--to me, anyway--what just feels more to be a giant-screen secluded IMAX theater)
    Enjoy, have fun.
    Best of luck.

*Side-Note*|To reiterate: this is a feature offered by NVidia, and the StreamTheater is 3rd-party software which is compatible to the (*)NVIDIA SHIELD STREAM(*) option [except, instead of streaming to a "shield" it will make it stream to your VR]

*UPDATE* NOT USING "NVIDIA" GPU?
    There are a few other methods which supposedly can achieve similar results with. Unfortunately, I do not invest in Video-Cards not manufactured by EVGA ... so I know little / have virtually (no pun) no experience in the matter. However, in my researching's, I did chance upon various articles/forums discussing the matter. 

You may want to look into such softwares as, "Intugame" / "TrunusVR" ( https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/3y7mc2/how_do_we_stream_pc_to_gear_vr_amd_cards/ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsyDFCuFQKo&t=28s )
    Best of luck, to all.

*If anyone can suggest / recommend perhaps a simpler method, please feel free to share/recommend/suggest
    :)
    post edited by Pastulio - 2017/07/25 00:00:47
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile