EVGA

Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver?

Author
NMcKee
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/01/24 21:18:25 (permalink)
First, I hope I'm posting this to the right section?

I noticed a problem I was having with my desktop the other night that I was hoping someone here might have some insight into what may be going on with it. The card in question is an EVGA Geforce 760 (Superclocked) which is currently running a dual monitor setup (DVI: Dell 1701 LCD monitor; HDMI: Samsung S24B350 LED Monitor).

The other night, I had a game running on the LED monitor and was trying to watch a video on the LCD when the LCD suddenly went into a black screen and behaved as though it were trying to find a connection. I tried turning it off and turning it back on again after a few minutes and nothing came of that, so I tried going into the nVidia control panel as well as the Screen Resolution option under Windows and it detected the monitor and settings as though everything were fine--no issues detected. At the time, I then assumed something may have been going on with the monitor, itself. However, as the game was minimized at at idle in a manner of speaking, the LCD monitor resumed behaving normally. I have also checked the cables and everything appears as it should.

However, when I resumed the game (which, again, was running on the LED), the LCD appeared fine yet there was flickering on my LED as I was playing, which then led me to think that maybe it's the video card or possibly a driver issue?

Last night, when I turned that system on again and only had up a browser window with a very basic webpage (just text and a few jpegs on the site) on the LCD, I noticed the same issue (there was nothing even minimized nor running on the LED monitor at the time) where it went black again and as with the previous night, the monitor itself appeared to be behaving as though looking for a connection or that it had lost it. As with the previous night, both monitors were showing up normally under both nVidia's control panel as well as on the Screen Resolution under Windows (and Windows was detecting both monitors without issue).

I'm almost afraid at this point to turn that system back on again, but I rely on that computer (and literally can't afford to replace it nor any of my hardware). Unfortunately, the only thing still under warranty in that system at this point is probably the SSD drive, which I just installed a few weeks ago to replace a dying, old mechanical HD I originally had in there and was acting up. :/ Also, the inside of desktop was cleaned recently.

I was wondering if someone may have an idea as to what's going on with it that's causing this problem?

My hardware specs:

- Windows 7 Pro  (64 bit)
- Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
- Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR3 1333
- Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866
- Intel i7-2600 (Sandy Bridge)
- Enermax ETS-T40-BK CPU Cooler
- Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 (750W)
- EVGA Geforce GTX 760 (Superclocked)
- Asus DVD-Writer (DRW-24B3LT)
- Asus Blu-ray Writer
- Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND (SATA 2.5) SSD
- Western Digital (Blue) 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0 3.5" HD
- Western Digital (Black) 3TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0 3.5" HD
- NZXT H2 case
- Dell 1701 LCD monitor (DVI)
- Samsung S24B350 LED Monitor (HDMI)

15 Replies Related Threads

donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/01/26 20:20:18 (permalink)
    Hard to say you are running a really old os, only 2gb of ram, on a very dated system, the psu I imagine is as old as the rest. It could be a lot of things. Sadly as our systems age things start to give out. Your setup looks a tad bit older than mine that I am replacing as soon as the new system comes in. Your issue could be the GPU, it could be the motherboard, it could be the PSU, or it could be the display cable or even the display. You will have to troubleshoot it with extra parts to find out what it is until you find the issue. and it could be a couple with hardware that old, one thing goes out and when it went out it could had damaged something else. Or it could be something as simple as reseating some hardware that over time has gotten lose.
    post edited by donta1979 - 2021/01/26 20:22:52

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/01/27 12:25:47 (permalink)
    likely culprits for that could be the monitor cables , the monitors themselves,  or the videocard/ & it's output ports.

*cheapest is to replace the monitor cables & test out for awhile .
    Next would be to run only 1 monitor for a bit, see if it ever does it again . ..then the other 
    etc..

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    NMcKee
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/01/28 04:04:35 (permalink)
    As I mentioned, building new really isn't an option for me as I literally can't afford it right now. Plus, I have some software and peripherals on that system that won't work with Windows 10 or are incompatible with it. Also, my PSU isn't of the same age as my motherboard and CPU (my motherboard and CPU are actually the oldest components in that system--everything else was either added, upgraded, or replaced at some point over the years for various reasons; even my monitors are of different ages). If I had any other systems around that even had any compatible parts, I would try your suggestion, Donta1979. However, that desktop is actually the "newest" desktop (and only Intel desktop) I have access to. All the hardware in there was actually reseated and cleaned out a few weeks ago (along with the case and casefans).

aka_STEVE_b, I'll see if I can scrounge up some DVI and HDMI cables to try out. However, as I mentioned what typically seems to happen is I'll have one monitor up and then the other cuts out or acts up (and not always the same one) and each time it happens, both nVidia and Windows are detecting both monitors normally (the fact that both monitors are involved is what has me wondering if this may be a video card issue?). I have also since tried uninstalling and reinstalling my nVidia driver (using a clean install) to no avail as the problem continued and have also tried my monitor drivers and the problem persists. Regardless, I'll try the cables and see how that goes for now and in the meantime, have been trying to limit my usage to just one monitor at a time. Thank you for the suggestions! :)
    xiZeroPoinTix
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/01/28 15:41:40 (permalink)
    i noticed you said your card is superclocked. I had that issue with mine and I had to either drop the clocks or raise the voltage to gpu.
    NMcKee
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/01/29 04:13:31 (permalink)
    Admittedly, what you're describing is way beyond my skillset unfortunately. :/
    Thanks for the suggestion, though! :)
    post edited by NMcKee - 2021/01/29 04:23:01
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/01/29 17:01:22 (permalink)
    That's some high-clocked RAM for that processor, did you ever verify it was fully stable?

OCCT has a GPU artifact scanner and a system memory error checker, but I'd recommend running Memtest86+ for a proper mem test. If it's slow you can just let it run overnight and check it for any detected errors in the morning. 

Have water, will cool. 
    mr_scary
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 426
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/01/29 20:46:29 (permalink)
    I'm sure his ram running at a default setting I would think, one is 1333 the other is 1866. 
    however that may be the issue... 

Check the properties to see if there is an error code for your GPU 
    Right Click (Start)  >> Choose (Device Manager) >> Expand (Display Adapters) >> Right Click on your Graphics Card >>
    can't remember for Windows 7, go to device manager.
    Check device status for error code.... or this device is working properly..

Also are you getting any kind of anomalies at boot screen, when passing from BIOS.

Did you by chance update your drivers recently?

You were gaming on one monitor, and watching a movie on the other. is this correct? 
    I'm guessing it was something to do with that. 

Probably nothing wrong with the hardware, I have systems as old 15yrs. going 24/7 and no failures. 
    some times a bad capacitor starts squealing or something.. 
    In fact my streaming PC is older then yours, X58 i7-920 .. 

I think something along the lines of 
    1. Driver 
    2. Watching a movie while gaming. 
    3. due to outdated OS.. 

Hmmmm. come to think of it my Wife keeps complaining that her PC loses signal to the Amazon Fire TV... 
    Like it goes to sleep, and wont wake the display.. I'll have to look into that. 
    I figured it was the Fire TV, so I just set it to not allow the display to sleep.. 
    I'll check with her and see if it's still doing it.. Hers is running Windows 10 up to date, but the system is G31 | Q6600 slightly overclocked..

post edited by mr_scary - 2021/01/29 21:09:33

NMcKee
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/01/31 18:59:57 (permalink)
    From what I remember, the faster speed RAM may be running at a slower speed by default (to "match" the slower speed RAM I have in there), but I could be wrong about what speed it's running (ie whether it's at the default or the slower speed). I received the faster RAM as a gift, but it's been in there for a few years now and I've never had any issues with it nor with any instability since it's been in there (at some point, I'd hoped to have replaced the slower pair with a pair to match the faster pair, but never had the money for it). I should also mention that gaming is actually a secondary function of my desktop nor historically had been even the most taxing thing I've run on there (although, these days, gaming has been the more taxing function but still remains secondary to what else I use that computer for).

I have run Memtest86 (I actually have it installed on my Linux bootloader as I've used it quite a bit in the past and with different systems I've had over the years) and even ran it at the time that the faster RAM was installed as well as recently and no issues have ever arisen on that front (I typically have let it run a number of times over a period of hours just to be sure).

I have checked out my device manager and no error messages there and everything appears to be normal. Also no issues with my boot screen nor BIOS. Regarding my drivers, the only update I've made was to the video card driver, but only after this problem arose in the off-chance that somehow my driver may have been the culprit (I did a "clean" install of it as a precaution). It also did not "cure" the issue as the problem continues.

Yes, I was trying to watch something on the other monitor while gaming when this first happened (in retrospect, I'll admit I probably shouldn't have). However, in the past, I had done so with another game (ie may have had a video such as a walkthrough up on one screen and a game on the other), but admittedly had never done so with the game I had running when this problem first appeared. Also, other than just after I installed the new driver (when I tried to run a video +the same game and ran into the exact same issue), I have not run any videos nor games at the same time as a precaution as again, I've no idea what's causing this problem. In the time since this first happened, however, I now have noticed the issues sometimes when I've had a just a web browser open in one screen (again, just straight HTML +jpegs) and a game running on the other screen or will have a video on the LCD yet the LED will be completely idle with absolutely nothing running on it (not even minimized). The only difference between the two screens when I've noticed issues is that the LCD will typically go black and acts as though it's looking to connect or lost the connection (despite Windows and the nVidia control panel claiming that everything is supposedly "normal" and is detecting that screen and settings correctly) while the LED at the time that happens is running normally. Yet, when the LED begins exhibiting issues, the LCD appears fine while I'll see white lines or flickering going on across my screen (again, everything appears to be "normal" according to Windows and the nVidia control panel). That's what makes me wonder if something may be going on with my card?

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/01/31 20:49:08 (permalink)
    Alright, good to have the RAM ruled out particularly given you're not sure of what it's even running at! Even 0.001% of instability will eventually build up to problems six months later, I've been there before with RAM. 

I'm starting to agree with everyone else, it sounds more like a cable issue. If it was the GPU then Windows would be resetting the GPU driver, and that shows up in the event log. Since you indicate that's not happening it sounds like the GPU is operating fine, but it's having trouble keeping the signal integrity within spec for one of the displays. It's not unheard of for cables that were borderline in signal integrity to slowly go further out-of-spec as they age. Or maybe one of the pins wears down and begins to make poor contact in the connector. You should also make sure there's not a lot of EMI going on... WiFi, wireless mouse/keyboard, fluorescent lighting, or anything else broadcasting signals near the cables as EMI can also help push an already poor signal beyond spec.

Have water, will cool. 
    NMcKee
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/02/01 00:19:41 (permalink)
    The only lighting in the room has LED bulbs and the light fixture is really far away from the tower. There are also no wireless devices of any kind and wifi is actually disabled, as the
    construction of the walls can be described as being sort of like a Faraday cage.

However, I'm still working on trying to get access to some spare DVI and HDMI cables to try out to see if that may help.

Thanks again!
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/02/01 04:56:17 (permalink)
    What web browser are you using that had the flicker? Of course using Windows 7 Pro it's hard to say if it can be tracked back to a "Widespread" known issue if it's driver or software that is causing the issue since use of Windows 7 has dropped so much.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

NMcKee
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/02/01 19:36:49 (permalink)
    The screen actually blacked out when I had the browser open. When the flickering happened (which only happened to the LED/HDMI--the blackouts were on the LCD/DVI), the screen it happened to either had nothing up on it or had a game up (but nothing on the other screen). Regardless, the browser was Firefox.
    NMcKee
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/02/07 22:06:27 (permalink)
    I have an update to report on this. I moved my tower so that the side panel is now facing me (to make it easier to work and deal with swapping out cables, etc.) and heard what sounded like a really loud fan noise (not quite as loud as a jet engine, but definitely much louder than is normal) yet the system was on idle at the time and the case panel felt cool to the touch. Unfortunately, I don't know which fan it is that I'm actually hearing given just how many devices (including the case, itself) have fans toward the back of the case (which is the region where the noise appears to be coming from). The noise started soon after the computer was up and there was absolutely nothing running on the system at the time.

I also tried swapping out the DVI cable (still working on getting another HDMI cable to try as well) and while initially it seemed OK, my LED monitor began acting up in the process of trying to play a game (think colors appearing completely off or almost corrupted--think specs of flickering followed by or interspersed with occasional white, horizontal bars appearing at random and flickering and almost 8 to 16-bit color options versus the full spectrum and bright pink/magenta where it should have been greens among other odd distortions of that nature along with some values appearing inverted (blacks/dark colors where it should have appeared as highlights or lighter values, etc.)) and the response seeming almost sluggish at times or very sluggish (to where I began wondering if my game locked up on me--turned out that thankfully, it hadn't). The LCD was also exhibiting sometimes sluggish behavior as well during this time, but appeared to respond better overall by comparison. When I minimized the game and waited a few minutes before getting back in again to try and take a screenshot or photo, the graphics reverted back to normal again, so I'm left wondering what may have caused it as I've never seen that happen before.
    post edited by NMcKee - 2021/02/07 22:09:37
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/02/08 06:06:42 (permalink)
    That sounds more like corruption from an intermittent contact on one of the GPU solder bumps underneath the GPU core package, but it's hard to say without a photo. Here's some examples of specific types of hardware errors: http://www.playtool.com/p...tifacts/artifacts.html

Have water, will cool. 
    NMcKee
    Re: Video Card Acting Up or Bad Driver? 2021/02/12 04:36:54 (permalink)
    I was hoping to get a photo, but unfortunately wasn't able to. Thanks for letting me know and for the link, though!

Also, while I can't financially afford it (especially now with the current issues attaches to the video card shortages I've been hearing and reading about), if I end up having to look to obtain a new card to try and replace what I have in there now (for when/if I can get the money for it and somehow the shortages issues that have been an ongoing issue somehow comes to an end), any advice as to what models to look into based upon my current specs?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile