VIA CenTaur CHA NCORE AI CPU Pictured, a Socketed LGA Package

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/02/18 12:11:18 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/263978/via-centaur-cha-ncore-ai-cpu-pictured-a-socketed-lga-package

VIA's CenTaur division sprung an unexpected surprise in the CPU industry with its new CHA x86-64 microarchitecture and an on-die NCORE AI co-processor. This would be the first globally-targeted x86 processor launch by a company other than Intel and AMD in close to 7 years, and VIA's first socketed processor in over 15 years. SemiAccurate scored a look at mock-up of the CenTaur CHA NCORE 8-core processor and it turns out that the chip is indeed socketed.

Pictured below, the processor is a flip-chip LGA. We deduce it is socketed looking at its alignment notches and traces for ancillaries on the reverse-side (something BGAs tend to lack). On the other hand, the "contact points" of the package appear to cast shadows, and resemble balls on a BGA package. Topside, we see an integrated heatspreader (IHS), and underneath is a single square die. CenTaur built the CHA NCORE on TSMC's 16 nm FinFET process. The package appears to have quite a high pin-count for a die this size, but that's probably because of its HEDT-rivaling I/O, which includes a quad-channel DDR4 memory interface and 44 PCI-Express gen 3.0 lanes.

Personally I would imagine this is a low speed, low power CPU but I could be wrong. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

2 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: VIA CenTaur CHA NCORE AI CPU Pictured, a Socketed LGA Package 2020/02/18 12:53:58 (permalink)
    what makes it AI co-processor ?

thought the days of co-processor for CPUs was done long ago

Same CPU as in this thread ?  Or maybe based on this ?

VIA CenTaur Develops a Multi-core x86 Processor
    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3008834

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: VIA CenTaur CHA NCORE AI CPU Pictured, a Socketed LGA Package 2020/02/20 01:10:59 (permalink)
    it has eight x86 cores in it plus a ncore processor(neural core)

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile