V1 Tech backplates

Author
jcbullen
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 142
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/28 10:13:51 (permalink)
I was wondering if anybody had any experience with custom V1 Tech backplates, specifically these ones:

http://www.v1tech.com/shop/backplates/evga-design-backplates/

It says they have magnetic attachements, does that mean it uses magnets to directly attach to the backplate that is already installed on the card?  Is the bottom "accent" layer translucent so that the backplate RGB will shine through, or does it completely block the RGB from the card?

I'm getting the white 1080 ti, and I want to put a white backplate on it so these seem like they might be pretty neat.

25 Replies Related Threads

DRY_ICE
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 160
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/28 10:30:55 (permalink)
    Conventional wisdom would say magnets directly on sensitive electronics is/can be bad, but I wouldn't call myself the magnetism expert either.

I don't think I'd trust my GPU with a magnetic hat but I've never heard of these and I'd be curious to see if anyone knows anything about these as well.

109below.com
    MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/28 14:16:11 (permalink)
    Those actually look pretty cool, I have no experience with them however.
    ragevirusqq
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 446
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/28 14:25:39 (permalink)
    DRY_ICE

I don't think I'd trust my GPU with a magnetic hat 

this is rad and made me LOL. The mental picture i had of a GPU with a magnetic hat was nice. TY for this

CaseLabs SM8 - X99 Classified - EVGA 1080ti - 5930k @ 4.5 - 32GB Hyper X predator - 480mm x2 and 360mm rads for super low fan speed and quiet operation- EK blocks and pump/res - All Bitspower black fittings - 1Tb samsung 850 evo 2tb total ssd space - EVGA 1300G2 - Predator X34 - Mayflower Objective 2 DAC/AMP - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Sennheiser HD6xx - Mackie CR4 monitors
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/28 22:03:01 (permalink)
    jcbullen

http://www.v1tech.com/shop/backplates/evga-design-backplates/

"Everything is made on a first come first serve basis. We are currently backed up. Please expect a 2 week processing time for all orders.Thank you!"

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 05:00:18 (permalink)
    I looked up a few videos on youtube, and the backplates do look pretty cool, but now I'm considering alternatives.  I know that EVGA states that for a card to keep its warranty, it must be returned in the original state.  If I were to remove the backplate, and spray it white with plasti dip, would it still be under warranty?  The backplate could be taken off and the plasti dip could be removed so it would still be unmodified.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 05:04:46 (permalink)
    jcbullen
    I looked up a few videos on youtube, and the backplates do look pretty cool, but now I'm considering alternatives.  I know that EVGA states that for a card to keep its warranty, it must be returned in the original state.  If I were to remove the backplate, and spray it white with plasti dip, would it still be under warranty?  The backplate could be taken off and the plasti dip could be removed so it would still be unmodified.

As long as you remove the plastidip before sending it back, your warranty will be fine. Just make sure you dont damage anything while working on it.
    jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 05:18:34 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    jcbullen

As long as you remove the plastidip before sending it back, your warranty will be fine. Just make sure you dont damage anything while working on it.

Awesome.  It's nice to see a company that doesn't have a rigid "no fun" warranty policy.  This will be my first EVGA GPU and one of the main draws was the constant praise for customer care.  
    sethleigh
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 796
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 05:46:52 (permalink)
    DRY_ICE
    Conventional wisdom would say magnets directly on sensitive electronics is/can be bad, but I wouldn't call myself the magnetism expert either.

I don't think I'd trust my GPU with a magnetic hat but I've never heard of these and I'd be curious to see if anyone knows anything about these as well.

Well, I wouldn't do it either, but really it's a changing magnetic field that generates a voltage, not just a magnetic field, so maybe it's just fine as long as your parts are stationary with respect to the magnets.

Happy EVGA customer.  Affiliate Code: 0Y7-1VU-ATW2

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

DukeCLR
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 254
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 06:33:09 (permalink)
    Wont covering up the back plate interfere with it thermal performance, I was thinking about putting a decal or some kind of design with white duct tape on mine.  These custom made ones definitely look nice, the back of the GPU is a great spot for some designs. 

PhanTeks Enthoo Evolv TGE
    Intel Core i7 8700k @ 5.0
    EVGA Z390 FTW
    EVGA GTX 3080 FTW3
    GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb
    EVGA CLC280
    PSU EVGA 850 T2

jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 07:07:54 (permalink)
    DukeCLR
    Wont covering up the back plate interfere with it thermal performance, I was thinking about putting a decal or some kind of design with white duct tape on mine.  These custom made ones definitely look nice, the back of the GPU is a great spot for some designs. 

The gamernexus review of the SC2 experimented with covering up all of the holes in the shroud on the front of the card and saw a negligible difference in the thermals.  I think if that didn't really make a difference, then putting something over the backplate probably won't make much of a difference either.  Then again, I'm no expert and you would need to test before and after to see if it actually affects anything.
    DukeCLR
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 254
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 07:10:55 (permalink)
    jcbullen
    DukeCLR

The gamernexus review of the SC2 experimented with covering up all of the holes in the shroud on the front of the card and saw a negligible difference in the thermals.  I think if that didn't really make a difference, then putting something over the backplate probably won't make much of a difference either.  Then again, I'm no expert and you would need to test before and after to see if it actually affects anything.

It would be an interesting experiment, I may try that when I get my SC2, with all those sensors you could probably get some good data.

PhanTeks Enthoo Evolv TGE
    Intel Core i7 8700k @ 5.0
    EVGA Z390 FTW
    EVGA GTX 3080 FTW3
    GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb
    EVGA CLC280
    PSU EVGA 850 T2

MikeBGeyer
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 07:39:48 (permalink)
    DRY_ICE

I bet that's a magnetic hat in your profile pic which makes me believe you are lying to me and are actually a magnetism expert. Where I work if you can spell magnetism your an expert.
    123Testing123
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 09:41:46 (permalink)
    MikeBGeyer
    Where I work if you can spell magnetism your an expert.

(Where's the doggone like button!)
    DRY_ICE
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 09:56:12 (permalink)
    MikeBGeyer
    DRY_ICE

I bet that's a magnetic hat in your profile pic which makes me believe you are lying to me and are actually a magnetism expert. Where I work if you can spell magnetism your an expert.

You caught me - I'm trying to keep all the magnetic hats to myself. They're outstanding tbh.

109below.com
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/29 10:09:34 (permalink)
    Say it! Car Ramrod! Say it!

You didn't say it!

They've got a site-wide 20% off coupon code for the next 2 days - dreamhack 

Also, free USPS shipping for me...not bad!

I'm seriously debating their inverse mirrored red EVGA backplate.
    post edited by arestavo - 2017/04/29 10:12:37
    123Testing123
    iCX Member
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/30 04:16:27 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    jcbullen

Regarding the FTW3's backplate, there is a 'tamper seal' in addition to a 'serial # label' on the outside--the side that shows and thus would be the one that gets plasti dipped (see the GamersNexus video at ~2:45: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBjTi0uj64E&t=627s). How are you going to deal with them? Do you plasti dip over these labels and if so, what happens to them if you attempt to remove the plasti dip for service?
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102250
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/30 04:42:45 (permalink)
    The person I trust the most with making custom backplates is coldzero in Portugal. I have recommended his work for years. He only has a Founder's Edition custom backplate for the 1080ti at this time. If anyone provides him custom measurements he can make a backplate for any card.

http://www.coldzero.eu/452-founders-edition

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

123Testing123
    iCX Member
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/30 05:01:41 (permalink)
    I signed up for a white version of the Elite FTW3 and would really like to compliment the card with a white backplate. I've not seen the V1Tech backplates in person, but from videos and website pics, they look very good. Two issues concern me about marrying a V1Tech backplate with an FTW3:

1. Thermal: According to the Gamers Nexus FTW3 Tear-Down video, the backplate does serve to dissipate heat. How much and how effective it is in doing so was not mentioned. If you place a plastic/acrylic sheet over the backplate, it's certainly going to if not completely stop then at least impede airflow from the many holes in the backplate as well as negate the metal to air thermal transfer either partially or fully. You might be able to balance the effects with increasing fan speeds, but then noise suffers (not to mention ears).
    2. Aesthetics: The backplate will have to have "EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti" cut out to match same on the original backplate so that the RGB light will shine through.  Not sure how effective that will be, both in accuracy of execution and RGB light shining through from below the original backplate.

Not really worried about the magnetic issue (V1Tech uses magnets to hold their backplate onto the card's original backplate) as they would have encountered and worked through any problems in this area already or would have stopped using magnets altogether.

Anyone have any ideas re: the above?

Thanks...

jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/30 09:29:56 (permalink)
    123Testing123
    I signed up for a white version of the Elite FTW3 and would really like to compliment the card with a white backplate. I've not seen the V1Tech backplates in person, but from videos and website pics, they look very good. Two issues concern me about marrying a V1Tech backplate with an FTW3:

1. Thermal: According to the Gamers Nexus FTW3 Tear-Down video, the backplate does serve to dissipate heat. How much and how effective it is in doing so was not mentioned. If you place a plastic/acrylic sheet over the backplate, it's certainly going to if not completely stop then at least impede airflow from the many holes in the backplate as well as negate the metal to air thermal transfer either partially or fully. You might be able to balance the effects with increasing fan speeds, but then noise suffers (not to mention ears).
    2. Aesthetics: The backplate will have to have "EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti" cut out to match same on the original backplate so that the RGB light will shine through.  Not sure how effective that will be, both in accuracy of execution and RGB light shining through from below the original backplate.

Not really worried about the magnetic issue (V1Tech uses magnets to hold their backplate onto the card's original backplate) as they would have encountered and worked through any problems in this area already or would have stopped using magnets altogether.

Anyone have any ideas re: the above?

Thanks...

Yeah, I watched that after I posted so it seems that it may impede the air flow or heat dissipation.  I highly doubt it would make a significant difference, but who knows?  I do plan on plasti dipping the backplate when I get my card, so I'd be happy to necro this thread and post some before/after testing results.
    jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/30 09:31:31 (permalink)
    123Testing123

Regarding the FTW3's backplate, there is a 'tamper seal' in addition to a 'serial # label' on the outside--the side that shows and thus would be the one that gets plasti dipped (see the GamersNexus video at ~2:45: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBjTi0uj64E&t=627s). How are you going to deal with them? Do you plasti dip over these labels and if so, what happens to them if you attempt to remove the plasti dip for service?

I don't have any experience working with plasti dip, but from what I've seen it looks like it peels off pretty easily, and I doubt that adhesion of it would be stronger than the adhesion of a sicker.  Maybe somebody who has done this before could speak to this based on their experience.
    123Testing123
    iCX Member
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/30 12:45:34 (permalink)
    jcbullen
    I do plan on plasti dipping the backplate when I get my card, so I'd be happy to necro this thread and post some before/after testing results.

...or start a new thread.
    Either way, I'm sure many will be interested in your results--I know I will!
    123Testing123
    iCX Member
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/30 12:48:59 (permalink)
    jcbullen
    123Testing123

I don't have any experience working with plasti dip, but from what I've seen it looks like it peels off pretty easily, and I doubt that adhesion of it would be stronger than the adhesion of a sicker.  Maybe somebody who has done this before could speak to this based on their experience.

You could be right. I'm sure those labels are designed to not peel off easily. However, I don't have any experience with plasti dip either, so I don't know.
    jcbullen
    Superclocked Member
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/30 14:47:23 (permalink)
    123Testing123
    jcbullen
    I do plan on plasti dipping the backplate when I get my card, so I'd be happy to necro this thread and post some before/after testing results.

...or start a new thread.
    Either way, I'm sure many will be interested in your results--I know I will!

Yeah, that would work too.  I'm leaving for vacation right when the card is shipped :( so I won't be able to get it plasti dipped until early June, but I'll definitely report back.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2017/04/30 22:54:29 (permalink)

If you buy it from there, be sure to post your experience with that company. Others in the past have also asked about that company.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    percyzala
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: V1 Tech backplates 2021/09/08 14:05:09 (permalink)
    I use  instead, basically same thing but better price ( I think they copy V1 but hey, i'll take it). Printing quality is great and fits perfectly on my GPU. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile