EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30974
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 122
2020/01/08 13:30:51 (permalink)
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/

(excerpt)

How time flies... Is it really 2020?01.08.20, 12:57pm CST
I was trying to organize my Windows desktop the other day, deleting old links and text documents with little notes. I happened to come across one that had some FAH notes in it mentioning a little bug that I needed to fix (and apparently never got around to fixing). So, I looked into what was causing the bug, and fixed that easy enough. Then I had to retroactively fix about 300 teams, also not too difficult to fix. It probably wasn't noticeable to anyone as it only affected lower ranking teams.

One thing led to another, so I figured while I was on a roll I might as well keep fixing little things here and there. I'm currently in the process of several things, so you might notice the site run a little slow at times, or say it's closed briefly, over the next week or so. I'll be sure to post another update when I'm done. It's all really just behind-the-scenes stuff to processing scripts and data storage.
Before I forget, someone asked recently about getting the "First Record" info added to the XML Feed, so I did that last week. It's always been visible on a user's summary page in the top-right corner. I think I started tracking it around 2004-2005, so there won't be any dates older than that, even if you happened to start folding before then.

I also tweaked the little notification box that says, "The front page has been updated with new information!" to only display for two weeks after a new post, then it will disappear. I could have done it with cookies & and let the user dismiss it, but then I would have to code in cookie routines (which I never got around to). This just seemed easier and it won't display for an infinite time now.

I made a little change to the hover box when you mouse-over some of the stats. Before it was using a link with "javascript:void(0);" and style="text-decoration:none" and was kind of a kludge. I cleaned it up to just use a "span" tag, so now there's less HTML code and the mouse doesn't change to make it act like a clickable link (that doesn't do anything).

This past fall I did a big update to the web server, enabling some of the latest and greatest features like HTTP/2, brotli compression, TLS 1.3, and more. Previously, I left some non-HTTPS allowances for XML & Sig Images, but all that gets redirected to HTTPS now since that big update. Anyhow, hopefully page load times got a little better with that update.

Also before I forget, I guess it was back around Oct/Nov I got several PayPal donations all at once, I think they were from some folders on the LinusTechTips Team. Big thanks as always to everyone that's made a donation for helping out!
As always, if you notice anything incorrect please send me an email (via the "contact us" link at the top-right of the page).

Edit Title - to keep updates in 1 Thread (titel was) "Updates on folding.extremeoverclocking.com --May See Service Interuptions & Running  Slow"

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

8 Replies Related Threads

ProDigit
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Updates on folding.extremeoverclocking.com --May See Service Interuptions & Running S 2020/01/08 13:50:55 (permalink)
    Lol! I reminded them of the little notification on the top with the latest news (2018 news), was a little outdated.
    Grateful they fixed it.
    I also noticed it being a bit slow.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Updates on folding.extremeoverclocking.com --May See Service Interuptions & Running S 2020/01/08 16:19:29 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/

(excerpt)

How time flies... Is it really 2020?01.08.20, 12:57pm CST
    I was trying to organize my Windows desktop the other day, deleting old links and text documents with little notes. I happened to come across one that had some FAH notes in it mentioning a little bug that I needed to fix (and apparently never got around to fixing). So, I looked into what was causing the bug, and fixed that easy enough. Then I had to retroactively fix about 300 teams, also not too difficult to fix. It probably wasn't noticeable to anyone as it only affected lower ranking teams.

One thing led to another, so I figured while I was on a roll I might as well keep fixing little things here and there. I'm currently in the process of several things, so you might notice the site run a little slow at times, or say it's closed briefly, over the next week or so. I'll be sure to post another update when I'm done. It's all really just behind-the-scenes stuff to processing scripts and data storage.
    Before I forget, someone asked recently about getting the "First Record" info added to the XML Feed, so I did that last week. It's always been visible on a user's summary page in the top-right corner. I think I started tracking it around 2004-2005, so there won't be any dates older than that, even if you happened to start folding before then.

I also tweaked the little notification box that says, "The front page has been updated with new information!" to only display for two weeks after a new post, then it will disappear. I could have done it with cookies & and let the user dismiss it, but then I would have to code in cookie routines (which I never got around to). This just seemed easier and it won't display for an infinite time now.

I made a little change to the hover box when you mouse-over some of the stats. Before it was using a link with "javascript:void(0);" and style="text-decoration:none" and was kind of a kludge. I cleaned it up to just use a "span" tag, so now there's less HTML code and the mouse doesn't change to make it act like a clickable link (that doesn't do anything).

This past fall I did a big update to the web server, enabling some of the latest and greatest features like HTTP/2, brotli compression, TLS 1.3, and more. Previously, I left some non-HTTPS allowances for XML & Sig Images, but all that gets redirected to HTTPS now since that big update. Anyhow, hopefully page load times got a little better with that update.

Also before I forget, I guess it was back around Oct/Nov I got several PayPal donations all at once, I think they were from some folders on the LinusTechTips Team. Big thanks as always to everyone that's made a donation for helping out!
    As always, if you notice anything incorrect please send me an email (via the "contact us" link at the top-right of the page).

Thank you for the update

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Updates on folding.extremeoverclocking.com --May See Service Interuptions & Running S 2020/01/09 17:38:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting CoolGTX.  I check there every few days just to make sure things are working right. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Updates on folding.extremeoverclocking.com --May See Service Interuptions & Running S 2020/01/25 11:22:49 (permalink)
    another update was posted  18 Jan 2020 .. new update

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Updates on folding.extremeoverclocking.com 2020/02/12 15:23:32 (permalink)
    Big Update, Finally!

posted today 12 February 2020

(excerpt) -[use the link above for the Full story - this is a small part of the post]

I was finally able to push out a BUNCH of the code changes to the main server that I've been doing for the past month! Like I said before, this is mostly behind-the-scenes changes (the processing scripts probably got the most re-work). I rolled back a few of the incompatible changes temporarily so I could push out the other improvements. With the bump in the backend codebase, going forward I can now roll out smaller updates more frequently.

Before I forget to mention, you might have noticed things running a little sluggish these past couple weeks. I *finally* got around to writing a script to go through and prune the data for idle users. 'Idle' in the sense that they have no new points in the past 7 days. The script goes through each 'idle' individual, recursively deleting out duplicate records where their Points / WUs don't change. Basically I'm removing old records that are only where the team rank changed, for idle users. There is nothing that displays rank change beyond the 7 days time frame, so there's no reason to keep years and years worth of that data. The script starts a week prior so that the change in rank up/down display doesn't get affected. I did notice there were a few edge cases were it would show an idle user active that really wasn't, but that will clear up in a week's time. Anyhow, it's still going through the users but hopefully will be finished in the next day or so. I ran a query and while there are ~10,000 active users, that only represents about 2.2% of the users being tracked! The other ~451,000 / 97.8% are 'idle'. So, on the positive side I've probably reduced the user history table down to 1/3 what it was before, and still shrinking!

Let's see, what other changes... You might notice some changes to the graphs. Now the graph numbers only scale if the points go beyond one billion. I tweaked the layout a little and was able to consolidate a lot of the code (and some of the files even) so now they are much more consistent across the board. The code was such a hack before, and with each chart I made was a bunch of copy & paste duplicating a lot of common things. Now it's so much nicer and easier to manage.

Sig image code also got a lot of clean up. I switched the file type from gif to png as the files ended up being slightly smaller.

------------
    Anyhow, I need to do a little more tweaking to the graph code, then I need to take a look at the XML code and fix a couple minor things, sooner rather than later. Then finally hopefully I can tackle the UI files and style templates. Those are going to need some major overhauling. In the back of my head I'm thinking about how to make the site 'mobile friendly' as I know people would probably love to be able to flip through it easier on a cell phone or tablet, but that is still pretty far off right now. We'll get there though, eventually...
    A big thank you to the people that have recently sent me a donation since my last news post! Always appreciated!
    Please, please, if you notice anything incorrect or broken, please send me an email (via the "contact us" link at the top-right of the page).

UPDATE: Okay, I just ran the 3pm update manually and it appears to have gone smooth (as expected). Going to change it back to automated now, but I'll be closely monitoring the next update too.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Updates on folding.extremeoverclocking.com 2020/02/18 14:11:03 (permalink)
    New Update Posted: 18 Feb ---> "There will probably be a 30-min window when the site will be closed so I can get that done as fast as possible."

A couple small updates...02.18.20, 2:17pm CST
    I *finally* finished updating the search code (on the left sidebar). You can now search by: TeamID, Team Name, User Name, or (EOC) UserID. A single match will also auto-redirect to the relevant Team / User summary page. IDs must be exact matches too for obvious reasons. Hopefully the changes will make it a little easier to navigate.
    I moved the Users Active / Users Total graphs to be included with all the Points graphs on the Team Summary page. I figured this would make it a little more visible and easier to use, rather than having an extra page with only those two graphs. The link to the now outdated page in the sidebar (Team Users Info) has been removed.
    Still have about 52,000 'idle' users to process. The pace has picked up somewhat with the script, it's now averaging a little over 2,500 users an hour. So hopefully only one more day!
    I wrote a similar script to process 'idle' teams, though I made the code the more 'correct' way rather than the 'faster' way since there's obviously a lot less teams than users. It did not take nearly as long to run, but also there wasn't nearly as much data to prune out. I did a lot of testing and made double sure there were no visible differences in the stats before / after.
    I also re-wrote the sitemap generation script. It basically just generates an XML list of links for web crawlers to index. I know it's not flashy, but something that needed to be done.
    After the script finishes with the idle users I need to re-optimize the user history table, then I want to do a full backup of the FAH stats database. There will probably be a 30-min window when the site will be closed so I can get that done as fast as possible.
    If you notice anything incorrect or broken (especially with the search), please send me an email (via the "contact us" link at the top-right of the page).
    Back to the grind... Getting it done...

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Updates on folding.extremeoverclocking.com 2020/02/19 10:15:47 (permalink)
    Looks like those Updates, mentioned in above post are Happening Now   And the site is Back

503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to planned maintenance downtime.

We are doing some backups, should not take more than 30 minutes.

Please try again later, thanks for your patience.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Updates on folding.extremeoverclocking.com 2020/02/19 10:18:51 (permalink)
    Latest message:  Finally finished with the pruning!              02.19.20, 11:34am CST

I finished up pruning the idle users faster than expected, it really started picking up the pace last night. I guess it makes sense though as the newest users would have less history to go through. I needed to reorganize the partition structures for the history tables to add future years in, so I got that done rather quickly this morning (only took about 10 minutes).

I'm going to wait until after the noon update to run the backup since it's getting close to the hour and I don't want to have tables locked when the update tries to run.

I got a couple emails last night in regards to how all this pruning has created some anomalies. Let me try to explain without getting too technical.

First, for the user history (which was much larger) in order to make the recursive loop as fast and efficient as possible every time the points would change it would keep the 'newest' (aka last) record, rather than the more correct 'oldest' (aka first) record (which was done to avoid having to do an additional sub-query). If you happen to look at some of the idle users you might notice some "phantom" points show up at some previous point in time. No additional points were given, just the way the loop was written it has the potential to shift dates in time.

Second, for the team history I did write the query the correct way as mentioned above, but unfortunately there was a little bit of a logic oversight on my part in that recursive loop. While better than the individual stats, I failed to take into account the rank change in the initial lookup time frame. There was a little side-effect of some idle teams showing they changed rank within the past 7 days, even though they didn't.

Things should settle back down to normal in 7 days as that is the time frame for averages, rank changes, and such.

On the plus side, the user history table is down to a little under 81 million rows of data, and about 2.6 GB in size. When I started this almost a month ago it was almost a billion rows of data and 33 GB in size! I think the largest the table ever has been was almost 2 billion and 60 GB back in 2014. Bigger is not always better, especially with stale data just slowing things down and causing bloat.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile