[Solved] Unhappy customer. 1080 FTW Hybrid

Author
Fitfit
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/06/23 15:39:51 (permalink)
Hello,

I purchased a GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid a month ago and received it on the 22nd of May, just before the 1080ti Hybrid became available on the EVGA EU shop.

The card was performing fine, but the 120mm radiator fan has been sounding like a turbine with high pitch since I installed the card. I then decided to contact the support using the website integrated feature, after registering my product.

I had to speak with a lot of different representatives, because of the way the ticketing system is designed, and in the end, my issue is still not solved. I was told two weeks ago that a replacement fan would be sent, to avoid sending back the card since it was performing fine. After waiting two weeks without any sign of the fan and no news, I decided to make a new ticket. It turned out the fan was not sent because it was not possible/cancelled for some reason, but nobody had informed me of this.

The only possible solutions to solve the issue would then be:
- Fixing myself the issue
- RMA the card
- Step-up the card (around 50 days left)

With any of these solutions, I have to spend additional money from my pocket.

For the RMA, according to EVGA's policies, I would have to pay to send back the card, which would cost more than just buying a new 120mm fan myself and replacing the factory defective one. I would also have to take the risk receiving a recertified/repaired card instead of the one I have which is perfectly working fine.

Also as mentioned earlier, after my purchase the 1080ti Hybrid became available for sale. No step-up is available to that model for some reason. I was also not informed that I could send back the card at that time, ask for a refund, then buy a 1080ti directly (the end result and overall procedures would have been the same as a step up in the end). Why isn't it possible/offered to do a step-up to a 1080ti? Would not this be easier for customers in the same situation as I am currently?

All this to say my problem is not solved, and I think this is inadmissible for a customer like me to have to spend money to fix a defective on arrival product, especially for such expensive product. I put in a lot of efforts to solve this quickly and efficiently. I even recorded sound captures and was confirmed that the noise was not normal.

In the end it was useless.

EVGA makes quality products and I have always been pleased by the stability of the components and the performances delivered, but the customer service does not appear on par with that. It's the first time contact the EVGA support and I must say that I am disappointed.

I've been building computers for people using EVGA parts, and this is the only Issue I encountered so far in years, yet the only "acceptable" solution would be to fix the card myself.

I also did not mention that the fixation screws were not fitting with my Corsair C70 case because they were not long enough. I had to use longer screws I had in stock (I already informed EVGA about that).

This is inadmissible for a product I paid 678,99€ for (+25€ for the 2y warranty extension).
I tried to send this complain directly to EVGA using the proper website section but there is an error 154 with the servers and the form won't post. I always heard that EVGA had a good after sales service, but in one month of time my issue was not solved.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
post edited by Fitfit - 2017/07/13 12:30:39

Motherboard ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 - Bios 2.72
CPU Intel i7 4790K @4700mhz
Cooling Corsair Hydro H110i GT [280mm]
RAM Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 1600
Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING
(previously EVGA GTX 760 SC)
Primary Drive M.2 NVMe 2To WD_BLACK SN750
Case Corsair C70 OD.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless 600W
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red
Mouse Steelseries Sensei 62150

7 Replies Related Threads

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Unhappy customer. 1080 FTW Hybrid 2017/06/23 17:10:39 (permalink)
    Hello,

I apologize for the trouble to acquire a replacement Hybrid fan. I will email you directly with a resolution to send you a replacement fan.

I have not heard of problems with mounting the Hybrid radiator to the case. Although, I do not have a corsair C70 to test with. 

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Unhappy customer. 1080 FTW Hybrid 2017/06/23 18:54:52 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums!

The step up program is only available to step up to reference cards, and for the 1080 Ti that includes the 1080 Ti FE, blower edition, and Black edition - the Hybrid will never be available to step up to, as per the terms of the step up program. You can still step up to a reference 1080 Ti and enjoy a 20 to 30% performance boost, and you can put an EVGA Hybrid kit on or get a universal GPU bracket (like the Kraken G10 or G12) and put on a compatible AIO cooler with your choice in fans on - it's pricey with either, but the universal GPU bracked and AIO cooler will very likely fit the next card that you purchase.

As far as the fan whine - I've had bad luck with other, non-EVGA, fans when I set them as intake with a radiator. I get a buzzing from the fan when I do that, and the only way to get rid of it is to turn the fan around (set it to exhaust). It's likely due to cavitation caused by the intake through the fan grill and the RPM of the fan - perhaps the same is true for your fan in your computer case?

Hopefully MDecker will be able to help you out with a replacement fan, and that fan actually fixes the issue that you have.
    post edited by arestavo - 2017/06/23 19:02:17
    Fitfit
    Re: Unhappy customer. 1080 FTW Hybrid 2017/06/24 08:45:21 (permalink)
    Hello,

Thank you for your help. I have been contacted by M.Decker and a replacement fan will be sent.

@arestavo
    The card radiator is mounted with the hoses facing down. The system is mounted as such: outside <- case rear 120mm fan emplacement <- radiator <- fan <- air .
    I do not think the case causes the noise. There a similar setup on top with a 280mm radiator and no noise. The whine noise comes from the fan itself, maybe the bearings.

[Not related to my issue, but part of my complains]
    For the step up, I do understand why the Hybrid card is not part of the program. I don't understand the reasons behind that.
    When I received my card, If I had decided to cancel the purchase, then send back the 1080 FTW card, then buy a 1080ti Hybrid instead, the end result would have been the same as a "cross shipping step-up" (even if it does not exist).  It would have been even better to do that way because it means the 1080ti Hybrid newly purchased would have been sent at the same time as I would have sent the 1080 FTW back. But this process would have been quite complicated. In EU your have 14 days upon receipt of the goods to cancel a purchase legally.

Why not just allow that in the step-up process? It makes no sense to me as a customer. Especially since now, the other cards I used before are gone, and I cannot afford to stay without a GPU.

Case Corsair C70 OD.
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Red
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Unhappy customer. 1080 FTW Hybrid 2017/06/24 09:57:11 (permalink)
    Fitfit
    [Not related to my issue, but part of my complains]
    For the step up, I do understand why the Hybrid card is not part of the program. I don't understand the reasons behind that.
    When I received my card, If I had decided to cancel the purchase, then send back the 1080 FTW card, then buy a 1080ti Hybrid instead, the end result would have been the same as a "cross shipping step-up" (even if it does not exist).  It would have been even better to do that way because it means the 1080ti Hybrid newly purchased would have been sent at the same time as I would have sent the 1080 FTW back. But this process would have been quite complicated. In EU your have 14 days upon receipt of the goods to cancel a purchase legally.

Why not just allow that in the step-up process? It makes no sense to me as a customer. Especially since now, the other cards I used before are gone, and I cannot afford to stay without a GPU.

The Step-Up Program is a one of kind Program that is Provided Solely By EVGA.
    You do not need to Understand the reasons behind the Program only to be thankful for it as with you do not need to Understand why God does what God does.
    No Other Company has this type of Program for Their Customers so your "complains" are invalid, follow your 14 day EU Law.
    http://ec.europa.eu/justice/consumer-marketing/files/crd_arc2014_factsheet-consumer_general_en.pdf
    These 14 days start counting from the day the consumer receives the goods, and the consumer has the right to cancel the purchase for any reason.
    It is Not to Trade In the Purchase or Upgrade the Purchase or Goods.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/06/24 10:59:01

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Fitfit
    Re: Unhappy customer. 1080 FTW Hybrid 2017/06/24 15:17:11 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    ... you do not need to Understand why God does what God does.

Sorry if I did hurt your feelings.

bcavnaugh
    These 14 days start counting from the day the consumer receives the goods, and the consumer has the right to cancel the purchase for any reason.
    It is Not to Trade In the Purchase or Upgrade the Purchase or Goods.

Indeed, I agree with that. You misinterpreted what I said.

Case Corsair C70 OD.
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Red
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Unhappy customer. 1080 FTW Hybrid 2017/06/25 17:20:15 (permalink)
    Fitfit
    bcavnaugh
    ... you do not need to Understand why God does what God does.

Sorry if I did hurt your feelings.

He will live. He's a big boy now.            

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Fitfit
    Re: Unhappy customer. 1080 FTW Hybrid 2017/06/26 10:01:15 (permalink)

EDIT:

I received the replacement fan which makes much less noise.
    The whine is gone.

Special thanks to Mr. Decker

post edited by Fitfit - 2017/07/13 12:29:31

Case Corsair C70 OD.