• Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14

20 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 00:43:00 (permalink)
    I am not using the security key but you also need a PIN to use this as well. If you need better security than a PIN code alone then the security key can be quite beneficial. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 00:50:45 (permalink)
    Microsoft refused to recover my old MS/Outlook account, now Im locked out of my paid copy of Win10_home. I never thought to updated my info before moving from Oregon to Arkansas, "example, I didnt have my cell, address, updated" so MS refused to recover my old account.  Part of the reply from MS, was your account most likely got hacked, same crap happened to me with XBox Live on XBox360, and I lost that acount, even after talking to a live teck from MS years back....

Was just wondering about using this USB Key, after getting screwed over.....
    post edited by knightsilver - 2020/01/29 00:53:04
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 08:07:20 (permalink)
    What happens when the security key fails or gets lost ?   - it is more than is really needed for home use - but is an option.  Just make sure it is not the only way to get into your PC / Account. 

Same issues goes for those USB password tools ... they are handy; but, you had better have a backup plan

Can you "recover" / reactivate your phone - for 1 month ... with the same (previous) phone number ? 

May people currently keep the same phone number - no matter where they move to.

Phone companies .. usually ... avoid giving out recently abandoned phone numbers .. so even if you did not keep yours you .. might have the ability to get it back

Most sites allow many different ways to recover your account ... but Not retroactively:

Two factor authentication (text to your phone)

Multiple .. secondary email accounts - Not on the same platform (Microsoft) .. so your ISP, Gmail ...

Security questions - keep a copy somewhere safe that you can easily find if needed

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 08:44:53 (permalink)
    I did this to remove the login password on my new windows 10 install. Having to type in a password each time for a home pc is dumb.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 08:46:07 (permalink)
    It's also important to remember what can be lost before you go heavy handed with security devices for home users and the risks associated. These keys do not keep you safe from a computer virus stealing files. What they do is limit access if someone comes into your home or office. Do you think that is going to really happen and if someone did break into your home would they steal the laptop because it's a laptop they plan to sell or because they hope to get information off of it?

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 09:40:33 (permalink)
    Thx Sajin, Ill give that a try, I still think having to have a password or always-on crap from MS for Win10 is a freaking joke. And where crap is getting where ya need two-step, and recover from your phone, ur screwed if ya dont keep it up dated is crap.  Im just pissed. Whats next, having to be online just to take a bathroom break!!!!

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 09:43:14 (permalink)
    knightsilver
    Whats next, having to be online just to take a bathroom break!!!!

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 09:49:09 (permalink)
    Sajin
    I did this to remove the login password on my new windows 10 install. Having to type in a password each time for a home pc is dumb.

I kind of agree which is why I went with the pin. I don't think that I need massive security in my home since if someone came in I know they would go for the whole system.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 09:50:13 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Sajin

I kind of agree which is why I went with the pin. I don't think that I need massive security in my home since if someone came in I know they would go for the whole system.

Exactly.
    flasher4q
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1778
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 16:31:35 (permalink)
    I'm getting ready to do a fresh install on a new system and was going to use my old copy of Win 10. But I figured it was best to spend the extra money a get a new copy

Asus ROG Strix B550-F gaming
    Ryzen7 5800x
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 Gig 3600
    Samsung 1T 980 PRO PCIe 4.0
    Samsung 500Gig 970 Evo PCIe 3.0
    MSI GTX 1080Ti
    Thermaltake Pump/Res combo
    Primochill 2 120x2 Radiators
    Bitspower G1/4" Premium master fittings
    Corsair RM 850x
    CoolerMaster H500P Case
    EK-Quantum Velocity D CPU cooler
    Bose Companion2 Speakers

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 16:50:33 (permalink)
    flasher4q
    I'm getting ready to do a fresh install on a new system and was going to use my old copy of Win 10. But I figured it was best to spend the extra money a get a new copy

If you have a retail copy you can probably move it. 

Make a USB stick of the Newest version of Win 10 & install .. then move your license

Microsoft Answers

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 20:09:13 (permalink)
     Talked to MS support today, looks like Im buying a new copy!  Ill be making sure ive got all my online "bleep" double checked from now on.  
     The MS tech did tell me, for local
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14776-remove-password-local-account-windows-10-a.html

Any real reason to get Pro over Home?

Edit, Sajin, I should make a animation short, with someone needing a password to use the restroom, like Mighty Python style and get a 9000000 hits on utube!!!!

edit2: Im still looking at this: My memory can be pretty bad most of the time...
    https://www.yubico.com/

post edited by knightsilver - 2020/01/29 20:33:43
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/29 21:48:57 (permalink)
    knightsilver
    Any real reason to get Pro over Home?

Edit, Sajin, I should make a animation short, with someone needing a password to use the restroom, like Mighty Python style and get a 9000000 hits on utube!!!!

Nope.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/30 19:19:58 (permalink)

I wanted the best, so I got Pro.    

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/30 22:31:08 (permalink)
    What’s the key differences with home/pro? You get anymore control over privacy, updates, any closer to what we had in Win7pro?
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/31 00:04:47 (permalink)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/31 07:58:55 (permalink)
    Having "Group Policy Management" alone is enough for me to use Pro over the Home version...

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/01/31 22:47:59 (permalink)
    Not seeing Group Policy Management being useful for myself?
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/02/01 09:00:55 (permalink)
    If none of the items marked "No" in the Home column above (post #17) are important to you, then save a few bucks & go with Home instead of Pro.  That's pretty much what it boils down to imo.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: USB security key on Windows 10/MS 2020/02/01 10:26:30 (permalink)
    Does this help?

Dave takes a computer from a dumpster which has been set up using a Microsoft online account.  He doesn't know the former owner nor the former owner's account password.  He creates a new administrator account and deletes the old owner's account.  All without dealing with Microsoft support or any 3rd party programs.  If he can do it, you should be able to as well.

I am going to give a link so that it will start at a specific time in the video, instead of embedding the video here.  If I embedded the video, it would start from the beginning with stuff you wouldn't find relevant.
    https://youtu.be/-FszeHoK2Ck?t=420

(from 07:00 to 12:30)

If you have a SSD and the computer boots too fast, the 3 time "spinny icon" recovery mode boot method might not work for you.  In that case, you will need to use another method to boot into Windows 10 recovery mode.  There are multiple ways to get into Windows recovery mode.  From there, the rest of his methodology should work.

I think it is pretty easy to follow, but some stuff is missing.

Basically, what he did was whatever was necessary to get into the Windows Image Recovery process.  Then, when he chose to "Install a Driver", he instead renamed Utilman to something else and then renamed CMD to Utilman.  Then, he rebooted to a normal boot.  Then, when locked at that user's account screen, he clicked the Ease of Access icon in the bottom right which is supposed to help people with disabilities log in, but instead opened up command prompt due to his file name changes.  For some reason, command prompt opens up with full administrator privileges (seems like a Windows security bug to me), and then he used a command to open Netplwiz and create a new account.  Then, he used command prompt (because command prompt was currently running with administrative privileges) to change that new user's account to administrative privilege level.  Then, he rebooted, logged in as the new user, and deleted the other old user.  I would assume that he then renamed CMD and Utilman back in order to avoid further errors.  I also assume that at some point in the future Windows would make you sync the new account to a Microsoft online account; which you can presumably do to an old already-existing Microsoft account or to a new Microsoft account... I am not sure.  And, does Windows become deactivated at some point, or does it remain activated?  Very interesting questions to ask.

Good luck!  I would love to know your results.  I would especially love to know the results after you get it working; because I want to know what Windows thinks about having a new account which isn't currently linked to a Microsoft online account.

But, back to the root of your problem.  You need a password manager, man.  Get a password manager, store all your passwords in one place, and never lose access to accounts again.  While you are at it, change all of your account passwords to unique, long, random-generated gibberish, and then the chances of someone hacking any of your accounts are pretty much 0%.  A password manager takes one, strong password of your choice, and encrypts all of the other information in the password manager using that master password.  Choose a good master password.  Mine is ... you know... can't be too specific, but really long.

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/02/01 10:53:16

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile