UK Step up, my experience post Brexit

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
DataNode
  • Total Posts : 83
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2021/04/07 12:29:26 (permalink)
Hi all, starting this thread due to some ambiguity in the process I discovered.

I have removed this detail owing to the summary later being the final one. I was going through the process when I posted this ;)

I summary;

I chose UPS Express Saver. I literally have no idea what to expect, I have spent all weekend researching this and half of today.

The only conclusion I can come to is that there are so many options, the custom agents will do what they want anyway, I thought I might have more chance with an independent courier not attached to the postal systems (they charge on delivery usually Deutsche post / RoyalMail and in effect DHL) which is odd considering the advice I was given.

Maybe what I do can help someone else, either not do what I did or follow what I did depending on the result.

The other forum entries are looking bleak :(

In the cases of FedEx / UPS and DHL, they all advised me to contact EVGA to check why they wouldn't produce the label for the return and have customers pay it, I phoned and asked the same, but they seemed to not be in a position to change the system.

Good luck everyone.

I don't know why their own shipping partner isn't contacted as they provide a service to EVGA, they will have an account with them. I would suggest EVGA contact them to ask for support in light of this as a service provider, tell them the situation, ask them what they can offer to help their customers. I have had to do these sorts of things with various E-commerce companies I have helped run or started for others. But maybe they already did all this?

Sad times, I hope EVGA can read the above and look how they can manage this problem to their logistics expert for whom they provide business to enable their business ...  

They don't have to struggle with this problem, neither do we.
post edited by DataNode - 2021/04/11 10:35:11

62 Replies Related Threads

rookoo
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/07 13:03:04 (permalink)
    Best of luck, chiming in here in hopes of getting some kind of statement from EVGA, as i'll be in the same boat before long.
    Savarok-
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/07 14:44:49 (permalink)
    Good Luck!

We all appreciate the massive work you are putting into this.
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/09 06:47:53 (permalink)
    I spoke with an EVGA rep at customer services yesterday as well, just before I sent it.

We went over the options, I can assure you they were helpful. But clearly they are at the hands of customs, so there are no definitive answers. Everything is new and returns are a grey area if you ask me.

This ended up in my decision to declare it as valued and not take risks in loss or damage, I couldn’t afford to loose it.

It seems DDP was essential and I used key wording on the commercial invoice, after delving through various tax forms.

I opened the box and did these bits again!

If you research returns, in customs support on GOV website it is not exactly clear on Brexit rules, it focuses on the other way round eg businesses receiving from EU returns, it really doesn’t surprise me that consumers are not really considered, I would have to hope things become clearer soon.

I looked to understand VAT and Tax exemptions the other way round as an indication to how UK were treating Europe literally to get an idea of what the rules could be.

Whether my commercial invoice was even read or not is another matter, I have no idea.

I will detail some of the commercial invoice and the decision making processes I used in a final piece below.

All in all, the news that might reassure UK customers, IT WAS delivered today.

I do feel sorry for those having issue, I think there are many incorrect options to select, small nuances and anyone you speak to including me, probably doesn’t have the answer.
    post edited by DataNode - 2021/04/09 06:51:26
    Savarok-
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/09 09:29:12 (permalink)
    Great progress, the only hurdle now then is if you get stung with taxes when the card enters the UK.
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/09 10:19:43 (permalink)
    Yep, I hope not, but still, I will let you all know.
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/09 11:32:49 (permalink)
    Not sure when actual point of sale was, presume when they took money, in the case of brexit, I probably would have been ok with paying earlier ... but I just don’t think that would ever have been possible. The cards are so few and far between.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/09 12:23:05 (permalink)
    DataNode
    (abbreviated)

If you research returns, in customs support on GOV website it is not exactly clear on Brexit rules, it focuses on the other way round eg businesses receiving from EU returns, it really doesn’t surprise me that consumers are not really considered, I would have to hope things become clearer soon.

I looked to understand VAT and Tax exemptions the other way round as an indication to how UK were treating Europe literally to get an idea of what the rules could be.

Whether my commercial invoice was even read or not is another matter, I have no idea.

I will detail some of the commercial invoice and the decision making processes I used in a final piece below.

All in all, the news that might reassure UK customers, IT WAS delivered today.

I do feel sorry for those having issue, I think there are many incorrect options to select, small nuances and anyone you speak to including me, probably doesn’t have the answer.

Thank you for sharing all those details with the forum members.

You bring up a good point ... that they seem to have forgotten the end consumer & warranty returns, with specific steps to that end.

Maybe you should share your experience with your representative in Parliament & ask that guidance be created for consumer's warranty returns.

Though it would probably not happen quickly, raising your concerns & experience to those with the power to get things done - can, Help make it happen

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/09 12:25:06 (permalink)
    Disclaimer: this describes the process I used, as an example. There may be omissions or mistakes. Any actions resulting from copying this process are your responsibility. This is not the way or only way to do your step up. I advise you to seek advice from EVGA, customs officials and delivery companies where possible, follow their instructions first and foremost.

This example shouldn’t be used as reference against a future outcome and all responsibilities lie between you the customer and EVGA.

1. Choosing the courier
    - I didn’t want to have the parcel to hand off to DeutschePost. I used the example of RoyalMail in the UK. If a mistake happens and or there are duties or tax to pay, payment is required to release delivery, I suspect this is the same for Germany. (This is based on intuition or best guess)
    - I chose UPS, Express Saver

2. EVGA have requested that DDP is chosen and will help (Delivery Duties Paid)
    - https://eu.evga.com/warranty/shipping/ (see special brexit notice)

3. I purchased delivery document packets around the start of C19 for returns to various other e-commerce facilities. I also followed purchased packaging instructions to the advice provided by EVGA (see the email and references provided in the step up procedure) Inside the outer packaging I placed the original box and card with all original protection. ( I kept it all ) this might seem obvious but it ensures it is a clear return at least. I believe this is also mandated in the return process.

4. Process on UPS
    - selected express saver
    - ship to company EVGA
    - ship to name RMA Dept.
    - address as advised by EVGA
    - added phone number in 0049 format
    - other address information, I put RMA and the number, this messed up the labels and the commercial invoice so I advise against this point. Label only printed RMA # which means it only has 5 characters for the label!! Eg leave this blank, there are plenty of other places the RMA will be shown.
    — PARCEL
    - weighed the package entered kg weight
    - declared value was value of invoice amount (when I purchased it)
    - add reference “RMA #[YOUR_RMA_NUMBER]
    — INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING OPTIONS
    - description of goods “EVGA Graphics Card - returning”
    - reason for shipment “I am returning items”
    - signature required
    - do not reroute to collection point

Documents, click “get started” (this is the commercial invoice part)
    —COMERCIAL INVOICE
    - filled in again the same full value, origin is goods manufactured in (so for me China)
    - put serial number eg “08G-CXX-XXX-13”
    - line description this time was “EVGA Graphics card - returning to Manufacturer”
    - units each
    - next is important, go back and edit comercial invoice you can then see more options.

- added declaration:

“Item being returned, unaltered for authorised exchange with Manufacturer, originally purchased xx/xx/xxxx

RMA #[YOUR_RMA_NUMBER]”

- changed intercoms to DDP at this point too, these options were not there on first entry.

— next bit is all the packing.

Printed 6 copies of the commercial invoice, double checked it for mistakes. Signed/ dated them.

Added to the side of the box EVGA label for the step up.

Added three commercial invoices inside
    Added three commercial invoices to documents enclosed pouch. Printed label for UPS and stuck that in another docs enclosed so all three labels were visible. Only half the commercial invoice was visible down to the item line in the docs enclosed for commercial invoice.

Good luck, this is what I think is correct, as above it’s your responsibility to declare your goods, I take no responsibility for failures, costs or damages incurred.
    post edited by DataNode - 2021/04/13 10:04:59
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/09 12:45:19 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Thank you for sharing all those details with the forum members.

You bring up a good point ... that they seem to have forgotten the end consumer & warranty returns, with specific steps to that end.

Maybe you should share your experience with your representative in Parliament & ask that guidance be created for consumer's warranty returns.

Though it would probably not happen quickly, raising your concerns & experience to those with the power to get things done - can, Help make it happen

Not a problem, I want to hear people succeed. It’s not the best of times right now, people turn to hobbies and other escapes. These items contribute to that help. It’s the least I can do.

I agree that it needs to be raised, I had a brief moment in time this week as I am off from work currently, the only thing that will stop me normally is time. Most of the detail is here or has been written to form a proper statement anyway.
    post edited by DataNode - 2021/04/09 13:29:56
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/16 09:57:29 (permalink)
    Step up dispatched, I suspect it will arrive Monday.
    johnny2shoes
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/16 13:20:41 (permalink)
    I'm interested how it goes, just bought a GT 710 from scan just to get in the queue for 3080. Expect a long wait but worried about duty fee costs and if its worth it
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/16 16:33:58 (permalink)
    If you look at T&Cs your only committed after point of sale IIRC. So makes sense to be concerned by the unknown aspects. Due to shortages, it will take some time anyway, so when it gets round to it you might know a bit more what to expect. Some options are probably more attractive than others depending what card you have now. A GT710 has little resale value. So I would do both, keep looking, enter step up queue and be willing to write off the cost of the GT710 should find a 30xx online, if you aren’t able the step up arrives faster you can make an informed choice. I am in uk as are a few others who are close to or in my case about to receive a card. You will be better informed than we were ;)
    post edited by DataNode - 2021/04/16 16:35:12
    johnny2shoes
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/16 23:01:53 (permalink)
    Thank you for the reply. I have a gtx 780, I don't upgrade often, so 3080 should last me another 8 years. I'll keep checking online and perhaps things will settle in a few months, hopefully!
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/16 23:38:00 (permalink)
    That’s even better then, it sounds like you purchased it with another way to get the cards. I would just pop the step up in now while you can, if you exceed the days to register for warranty or exceed the day’s for step up, you can’t do anything. It costs you nothing to be in a queue. Weigh it up later and still try to get what you want or change it to a 3080 or 3090 or some sort of Ti. If those become available and you can step up. Then also continue to look if you want it. Indeed a 3080 will last a while. Next gen might be 2yrs from now anyway, major spec bump is usually 1yr. But it’s different times we are in, more serious competition from Radeon, supply constraint and a slight boom in video gaming.

Either way good luck 🤞
    johnny2shoes
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/17 00:32:13 (permalink)
    Already signed up, soon as it came through the post.

I'm not in too much of a rush, seems a like a good but none stressful way of getting one. I've just read that TMSC expect shortages of their chips until 2023 so it's not going to get any easier.

Good point on the Ti, if they do get announced, I could cancel the 3080 step up and join the queue for the ti. I think nvidia should wait a while until demand settles before announcing another model. Hopefully scalpers will get bored and supply improves. I blame covid, everyone sat around with nothing to do so have the time to jump on drops for profit. No doubt they don't tell the tax man!

The 90 doesn't attract me due to the much higher cost for a smaller gain. I run single 1440p monitor so vram not a big issue. Gtx 780 only has 3gb so 10gb will do me!!
    Adam1V
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/17 08:18:34 (permalink)
    johnny2shoes
    Good point on the Ti, if they do get announced, I could cancel the 3080 step up and join the queue for the ti.

Dont forget the 90 days still continues to count, even while still in the queue. So if the ti is available AFTER your original 90 days and you cancel you wont be eligible to join the ti queue.
    johnny2shoes
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/17 10:09:33 (permalink)
    Ah thank you didn't think of that and don't think you can just change cards
    Adam1V
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/17 10:15:42 (permalink)
    Changing cards or “joining a new available queue” is perfectly allowed, but it’s only a valid option if your still within your 90 days.
    If your close to your 90 day limit I’d suggest it’s a very risky thing to do.
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/23 00:32:31 (permalink)
    Parcel is out for delivery this morning, zero updates in the transition from one tracking to the other. However, a new tracking number and message from parcelforce today.
    johnny2shoes
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/23 10:41:49 (permalink)
    All sorted?
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/23 11:30:50 (permalink)
    Got the card, it has a 3090 shroud on a 3080, fan2 is at 100% and doing my head in. Other than that great 👍

Sorry, I am really pissed off, they should have better quality control than this.

I will try to update the firmware and contact their support.

I wonder if I get a hydro cooler it fixes the issue.

But I don’t really want to pay for their mess. Maybe if they send me one for free? A DOA (not fit for purpose) after patiently waiting months and trying to help others, not sure this really worked out for me in the end.
    post edited by DataNode - 2021/04/23 11:41:16
    johnny2shoes
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/23 11:56:50 (permalink)
    That's unfortunate, I'd have thought the 3090 shroud wouldn't fit the 3080. I know scan sell the aio kit, it should solve the issue.

Worth raising though, not sure they will let you keep it given the value but might get lucky

Any update on the customs aspect? Did you have to pay any duty?
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/23 12:30:02 (permalink)
    None yet, so presume none to pay under the exchange program.

I am tempted to phone them and explain the issue. If the aio works, it might be a better option, than returning it!

I would want them to accept it is broken before I do anything to it though...
    post edited by DataNode - 2021/04/23 12:31:38
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/23 14:43:44 (permalink)
    I contacted support, with link to video. Will see what they say, the shroud does seem to fit, I thought I was lucky but, the SLI is missing so it’s not a 3090...

If the aio fixes the issue it is fine by me... my other pc is full WC anyway and this has aio on cpu.

Plenty of room for GPu aio as well
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/26 06:00:15 (permalink)
    I am not really comfortable in modding the card that arrived mismanufactured. I paid a lot of money in total and waited so long :-( I think it is best it goes back and I wait another year.

I hazard a guess they will put this right, but I can’t get through on the phone and it is costing me trying to do so.
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/26 06:07:17 (permalink)
    Ok got through, they were helpful enough to start the process ... fingers crossed
    whji1991
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/27 09:00:45 (permalink)
    Hi Data! Really appreciate your efforts to help others.

I'm about to pay for my step up and just wondering could you provide a quick summary of what you did i.e. who you shipped with and how much you paid.

Plus how did you make the package up/get EVGA to mark the new one up to avoid/reduce the risk of hefty import duties.

Best regards,

Will
    whji1991
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/27 09:08:21 (permalink)
    I have read your initial posts so appreciate some questions have been answered. It was more laziness on my part asking for a TL:DR summary.

Really just after price / and if you had to pay import /export duties as well as the step up fee.
    DataNode
    Re: UK Step up, my experience post Brexit 2021/04/27 09:14:36 (permalink)
    Hey no problem:

Summary is:

Used UPS follow the full detail in the post as to what I did though it is important and shows how to do DDP (delivery duties paid) for warranty.

Paid £0 export or import as it was warranty and ensured I did DDP as the item going back out is return and I paid duty on original import.

Again, there isn’t much of a short cut, cost overall about £25 to send it, there are cheaper ways probably.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile