EVGA

Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing?

Author
irenicus785
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/08/02 12:48:02 (permalink)
As the title incompletely states, I'm trying to begin my 1st open-loop water cooling journey.

I need a bit of guidance.

I checked EK's configurator to get an idea on the amount I would have to spend, not happy, around 1k?!?!?! Lol.

https://www.ekwb.com/cust...shared/oW61084a1510487

I'm mostly a Cosair ecosystem (with a commander pro and a bunch of LL and ML fans and LED's), so one thing I'm a bit sad is that LED's will be a mess mixing with EK. (Maybe I can figure out the LED mess later.)

I checked Cosair's site, but they don't offer a waterblock for 3080ti ftw3 at all.
Question: (is the 3080FTW3 and 3090FTW3 waterblock the same that fits 3080ti ftw3?)
Cosair's configurator recognized 3080ti selection but makes it seem like the 3080ti ftw3 card is an alien and I'd have to 3d print my own waterblock or something.
They charge roughly 500-600 without a gpu waterblock which makes their configuration crap... (But I love the cosair LED eco system with icue etc!)

Can I just separately buy EK's GPU waterblock and mix with Cosair's $600 configuration? I don't need to worry about weird fittings/mix metal stuff corrosion stuff?
post edited by irenicus785 - 2021/08/02 12:49:27

12G-P5-3967-KR 6/3/2021 7:44:34 AM PT Yes

CPU ~Intel 12700k (no OC)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 5600

CASE: Cosair 680X Crystal (glass/high airflow)
GPU ~EVGA 3080ti FTW3

PSU ~EVGA 1000 WATT Sli/Ready
MOBO ~ASUS Strix Gaming E [Z690]
Monitors ACER Predator Gsync 144hz 1440p
OS ~ Windows 11 Pro
AIO: corsair capellix h115i 280mm

22 Replies Related Threads

GTXMan
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 228
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/02 12:55:55 (permalink)
    EK's 3080/90 FTW3 block fits the Ti.

Yes you can get the EK block and Corsair everything else or mix and match if you prefer the aesthetics. I can't name any parts that are still around that use anything but copper (that comes into contact with water at least) so there's no issue with mixing metals. 

Frankly I think Corsair's CPU blocks look f'ing ridiculous - like a smiley face. You could use EK or something else for CPU as well and do Corsair for the rest but if you like their CPU blocks too, by all means go for it.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Current rig: DCS4VR 3.0
    Thermaltake Core P5 || 7700k + Aquacomputer Kuplex Cryos NEXT w/ VISION || EVGA XC Gaming 2080Ti + EK Vector block/backplate || G-Skill Trident Z 32GBs DDR4-4000 || ASUS Maximus IX Code || LG 38GL950G-B|| Logitech G900 || Sony WH1000-XM4 || VIVE Pro
    irenicus785
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/02 13:23:59 (permalink)
    GTXMan

Yes you can get the EK block and Corsair everything else or mix and match if you prefer the aesthetics. I can't name any parts that are still around that use anything but copper (that comes into contact with water at least) so there's no issue with mixing metals. 

Frankly I think Corsair's CPU blocks look f'ing ridiculous - like a smiley face. You could use EK or something else for CPU as well and do Corsair for the rest but if you like their CPU blocks too, by all means go for it.

LMAO, yes Corsair's CPU block does look a bit weird, haha a bit funny!

2x 280 rads or one 360 rad? EK seems to believe it's best I grab 2x rads.

Cosair recommends 1, but I added 2x 280 (top and bottom) to match EK and it comes up to $810 without GPU block/backplate. Hmmz...

GPU ~EVGA 3080ti FTW3

OS ~ Windows 11 Pro

Gotspeed_2000
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 818
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/02 13:41:03 (permalink)
    If you are doing this for a first time, the EK stuff for the most part is good.  You should follow the EK thread here about cards being bricked by their product and how to avoid it.  Users here have gone through great lengths to identify the issues and now EK has produced fixes to reduce these bricking issues.  EK stuff is really good overall and widely available.  You can look at amazon or other retailers to find parts.  If you are doing this as a first time and costs are concerning, I would recommend soft tubes due to experience challenges and to reduce the need for additional fittings where the bends/connections could be difficult with hard tubes.  

Just as a note, system prep is important in a open loop system.  That along with making sure to buy the correct fittings for the tube sizes you are using is important.  I would strongly recommend making sure to buy fittings and tubes from the same manufacturer to ensure proper fitment.  Also, I'd do a bunch of research on you tube on what others have done when building in your PC case or starting out.  It can help you plan better and prepare you for your loop planning.  Mixture of parts is an issue if you add aluminum so you want to be sure to avoid aluminum if possible.  But more importantly you want to make sure the fittings you use are quality fittings with their plating techniques because those failures will cause issues in your loop.  Most fittings are nickel plated, so how thick and how they plate them will determine how long those fittings last.  Youtube again is a great resource of information.  Just be sure to understand that information shared there can come from a variety of sources, most good, some bad so you'll need to do your own research in addition.  The reputable ones who do open loop are great sources of info.  I like Jayz2cents as he has been doing open loops for quite a while.

I just did my first open loop hard tube system recently and did a ton of research.  I still bought a bunch of parts extra in case I needed them due to my open loop system complexity.  In my system I have EK rads and pump/res with Optimus blocks.  For compression fittings and hard tubes I went with Primochill and other fittings from EK.  If I had to do it over again, I would have done the EK tubes and compression fittings instead but I'm fine with what I have done already.  I used youtube alot to figure out what I wanted to do and to plan my system and what my system should be.  Once you figure out a parts list, you can start to get pricing for the parts you want so you can do a budget.  From there you can figure out where and if you need to cut some costs.  I used an excel spread sheet to manage my cost and for my shopping list when ordering parts.  Amazon was a great help with free shipping, but they didn't have everything though.  Amazon, Performance PC in Florida, and NewEgg are places I would use to research parts and costs.  

If your budget allows, I would recommend looking at Optimus water cooling for your water blocks for both you CPU and GPU.  I used their blocks and they are great.  The fit and materials are second to none.  Also the CPU block is very good at the price they sell for.  The wait times can get long for them, but I don't regret those purchases one bit.  The GPU block is a bit more pricey, but when you look at what it comes with and the materials it helps justify the cost.  

post edited by Gotspeed_2000 - 2021/08/02 13:45:12

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
    I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
    ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
    ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
    64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
    1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
    EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
    30 Lian Li AL120 fans
    2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
    Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
    Samsung G7 32" Monitor
    EVGA Z20 Keyboard
    Glorious Model O
    irenicus785
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/02 14:13:01 (permalink)
    Gotspeed_2000
    If you are doing this for a first time, the EK stuff for the most part is good.  You should follow the EK thread here about cards being bricked by their product and how to avoid it.  Users here have gone through great lengths to identify the issues and now EK has produced fixes to reduce these bricking issues.  EK stuff is really good overall and widely available.  You can look at amazon or other retailers to find parts.  If you are doing this as a first time and costs are concerning, I would recommend soft tubes due to experience challenges and to reduce the need for additional fittings where the bends/connections could be difficult with hard tubes.  

Just as a note, system prep is important in a open loop system.  That along with making sure to buy the correct fittings for the tube sizes you are using is important.  I would strongly recommend making sure to buy fittings and tubes from the same manufacturer to ensure proper fitment.  Also, I'd do a bunch of research on you tube on what others have done when building in your PC case or starting out.  It can help you plan better and prepare you for your loop planning.  Mixture of parts is an issue if you add aluminum so you want to be sure to avoid aluminum if possible.  But more importantly you want to make sure the fittings you use are quality fittings with their plating techniques because those failures will cause issues in your loop.  Most fittings are nickel plated, so how thick and how they plate them will determine how long those fittings last.  Youtube again is a great resource of information.  Just be sure to understand that information shared there can come from a variety of sources, most good, some bad so you'll need to do your own research in addition.  The reputable ones who do open loop are great sources of info.  I like Jayz2cents as he has been doing open loops for quite a while.

I just did my first open loop hard tube system recently and did a ton of research.  I still bought a bunch of parts extra in case I needed them due to my open loop system complexity.  In my system I have EK rads and pump/res with Optimus blocks.  For compression fittings and hard tubes I went with Primochill and other fittings from EK.  If I had to do it over again, I would have done the EK tubes and compression fittings instead but I'm fine with what I have done already.  I used youtube alot to figure out what I wanted to do and to plan my system and what my system should be.  Once you figure out a parts list, you can start to get pricing for the parts you want so you can do a budget.  From there you can figure out where and if you need to cut some costs.  I used an excel spread sheet to manage my cost and for my shopping list when ordering parts.  Amazon was a great help with free shipping, but they didn't have everything though.  Amazon, Performance PC in Florida, and NewEgg are places I would use to research parts and costs.  

If your budget allows, I would recommend looking at Optimus water cooling for your water blocks for both you CPU and GPU.  I used their blocks and they are great.  The fit and materials are second to none.  Also the CPU block is very good at the price they sell for.  The wait times can get long for them, but I don't regret those purchases one bit.  The GPU block is a bit more pricey, but when you look at what it comes with and the materials it helps justify the cost.  

Thanks man, super helpful!

Yes, I've been rewatching Jayz watercooling vids as of late (he is rebuilding skunkworks again,) and this is what initially motivated me to try my hand at open-loop-systems, finally ditching AIO.

One thing I noticed, everyone sorta skips the actual twisting/fitting portion of the tubes and fittings... Maybe it is as simply as it looks, push them in place, then twist the fittings? (no one ever shows this part, even Jay although he goes to great lengths discussing it!)

It seems like I'll be spending at least $700+, and yes, I'm going def soft-tubing all the way.

(It really surprised me on EK's site, although soft-tubing was selected and recommended, I still managed to rack-up $1000+ for the recommended components.)

One last thing I need to do, (which you mentioned) is to find someone on the YouTube with an efficient open-loop using the my 680x Crystal temp-glass... I only ever the 570x and AirFlow cases... But never mine! =(

I'm trying my best to stick with one solid brand so that I can benchmark my trouble and source all components and have 1-throat to choke in a manner of speaking if something doesn't 'fit'

It seems like I'm at a loss with Cosair as I will need to source my GPU block elsewhere, but thats as far as I'm willing to swap components while starting out.

I'll take a look Optimus brand to also get another idea on parts/costs looks.

Good****.

GPU ~EVGA 3080ti FTW3

OS ~ Windows 11 Pro

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2365
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/02 14:25:40 (permalink)
    I was going to write up something nice here, but then I read Gotspeed_2000's post and...well...that's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I haven't done a GPU block myself, but I have an Optimus CPU block and reservoir; their parts are of outstanding quality (you just can't be in a hurry to get them usually).

So all I can really add is that I just did my first open-water loop as well and to make it easy on myself, I used the EKWB black rubber tubing (they call it ZMT or "Zero Maintenance Tubing" (EPDM Rubber)) with their compression fittings. You snug the tube over the barb to bottom it out, and tighten the collar until it bottoms out...it's very difficult to mess up. I've used the same tubing with Koolance fittings before (work stuff, not a computer) and while none of them leaked or anything, the collars don't bottom out, so I just cranked away at them for a while and had no idea how tight they had to be.

One last that a lot of people bring up, but is worth bringing up even more is to make sure you plan how you're going to fill and drain your loop. Between prep, flushing, filling, changing things, maintenance, etc. you will fill and drain your loop. Make it as easy on yourself as possible with a valve somewhere near the bottom. I set mine up with EK's pop-valve (not a lever-valve) and I have an extra tube with a fitting pre-installed on it. I just take the plug off the valve, screw in the extra tube, and pop the valve open, draining the fluid into a jug at the other end of my extra tube I keep around just for this purpose. Easy peasy. 

Oh, and to answer your rad question (I guess I did have plenty to say after all), EK's slim-rads are not reviewed very well for performance (the standard rads are good though). If you want a slim-rad, go to HWlabs black ice GTS or Koolance's slim-rad. You can google reviews for them, but the TLDR: those two are the best slim rads and for some reason EK's configurator likes to suggest slim rads. That said, if all else is equal (brand/thickness/etc.), a 280 is not much worse than a 360, so two 280's will be better than one 360. Also to consider, 140mm fans generally have a much more pleasant tone (and are often quieter/air-flow) than 120mm fans, so it is easier to get more cooling for less annoyance with 140mm fans. Also, make sure you pick fans designed more for pressure than air-flow that are made for radiators.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    GTXMan
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/02 14:42:19 (permalink)
    irenicus785
    GTXMan

LMAO, yes Corsair's CPU block does look a bit weird, haha a bit funny!

2x 280 rads or one 360 rad? EK seems to believe it's best I grab 2x rads.

Cosair recommends 1, but I added 2x 280 (top and bottom) to match EK and it comes up to $810 without GPU block/backplate. Hmmz...

You can get away with a single 360 but unless going water for you is more about noise and aesthetics while OC'ing is less a priority, the assumption is you're moving to a custom loop to maximize performance so you need to maximize cooling. 9700K isn't exactly a monster but it's no slouch and given the 3000 series' notoriety for temps a single 360 isn't going to cut it if you want to push both and keep temps low(er). 140mm setups are weird to me unless you're space constrained so I think the best bet is 2 x 360.

As with poster above I'd probably stick to tubes and fittings from same manufacturer, assuming you're going rigid. Although technically there should be no issues as long as the sizing matches, companies will always tell you they can only guarantee a perfect fit for their tubes with their fittings. If you're using soft tubes this is a non-issue.

Also agree about Optimus but I didn't even bother mentioning it because based on your original post you don't sound ready to spend over $600 just for the two blocks. Plus, to me spending top dollar to squeeze a marginal amount of an older chip like the 9700K doesn't make a lot of sense for a first-time build where you're trying to keep a reasonable budget.
    post edited by GTXMan - 2021/08/02 14:47:34

Thermaltake Core P5 || 7700k + Aquacomputer Kuplex Cryos NEXT w/ VISION || EVGA XC Gaming 2080Ti + EK Vector block/backplate || G-Skill Trident Z 32GBs DDR4-4000 || ASUS Maximus IX Code || LG 38GL950G-B|| Logitech G900 || Sony WH1000-XM4 || VIVE Pro
    Gotspeed_2000
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/02 18:35:44 (permalink)
    Very good point about the fill point and drain point Nike.  I forgot to mention that in the planning of the loop but it's super important as it will allow you to maintain your loop in the easiest manner possible.  

When it comes to fittings, there are options out there you can go from.  It really is that easy to twist on the fittings with hard tubes as long as you buy the tubes from the same company that makes the fittings.  The rubber orings and the tube diameter matching makes a world of difference.  While buying the parts for an open loop may not be the cheaper option, if done right you wont have to buy it again while getting maximum performance for quite a while.  D5 pumps can last a long time with maintenance and cleaning.  Fittings will wear depending on the fluid used along with the manufacturer's process.  But doing it right will pay you back by saving money not having to buy replacement parts as often in the future.  Plus the performance increase in cooling is the real benefit.  If you are going for looks and performance then you will be paying a lot more than needed when compared to performance based only.  But going for that stealth look does help save some money and that will carry you into the future if you use those savings on higher end parts.  

Nike covered the rads, but those fans are also important as to the overall performance of the loop.  If you already have decent static pressure fans then you can wait to buy those.  I use Unifans because I like the looks.  I know Noctua's have greater air pressure, but I'm okay with the fans I got in the system configuration I made.  Just need to balance the design with your budget and current parts and you should be good.  

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
    I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
    ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
    ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
    64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
    1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
    EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
    30 Lian Li AL120 fans
    2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
    Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
    Samsung G7 32" Monitor
    EVGA Z20 Keyboard
    Glorious Model O
    GTXMan
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/02 20:25:21 (permalink)
    Check your PM - sent you a message if by chance you were looking at getting the EK Nickel backplate.

safan80
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 322
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/02 20:31:40 (permalink)
    irenicus785
    As the title incompletely states, I'm trying to begin my 1st open-loop water cooling journey.

I checked EK's configurator to get an idea on the amount I would have to spend, not happy, around 1k?!?!?! Lol.

https://www.ekwb.com/cust...shared/oW61084a1510487

I'm mostly a Cosair ecosystem (with a commander pro and a bunch of LL and ML fans and LED's), so one thing I'm a bit sad is that LED's will be a mess mixing with EK. (Maybe I can figure out the LED mess later.)

I checked Cosair's site, but they don't offer a waterblock for 3080ti ftw3 at all.
    Question: (is the 3080FTW3 and 3090FTW3 waterblock the same that fits 3080ti ftw3?)
    Cosair's configurator recognized 3080ti selection but makes it seem like the 3080ti ftw3 card is an alien and I'd have to 3d print my own waterblock or something.
    They charge roughly 500-600 without a gpu waterblock which makes their configuration crap... (But I love the cosair LED eco system with icue etc!)

Can I just separately buy EK's GPU waterblock and mix with Cosair's $600 configuration? I don't need to worry about weird fittings/mix metal stuff corrosion stuff?

If you are just looking for parts to build your own custom loop I suggest you check out https://www.performance-pcs.com/
    They are pricey, but they have everything you will need.
    slev21
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/03 01:11:57 (permalink)
    Hi Irenicus785

I am building my first water cooled loop too, I am still waiting on some parts to arrive, here in the Uk there is a shortage/backlog of items, hopefully I won't have to wait much longer for them.

I went with Optimus for my 3090 ftw3 block and lga 1200 cpu block, I decided on the EK quantum kinetic tbe d5 pump/reservoir and as Nike has already mentioned I also went with 16/11 zmt tubing but I preferred the EK quantum torque 12/16 fittings so I went with those, Radiators I got two 480mm for the front and two 360mm for the top, all 4 are Thermaltake cl pacific 64mm deep.
    With this being my first water build I also needed a 4.0 riser cable + EK leak tester .. so many extra's.

I've jumped in at the deep-end but I am enjoying building my new rig, I hope you have lots of fun too with your loop!.

talon951
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1026
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/03 03:02:07 (permalink)
    One thing I'll add is the EK configurator is very optimistic for estimated water temp.  You will never achieve that number without running some crazy 3k rpm fans.  Even dual 280's will not get you great temps without a lot of fan speed.  The best I achieved with a 360 and 280 (both slim) was 10-12C water delta with fairly high fan speeds (1500-2000 rpm, Noctua A12's and Arctic P14's).  This was with a 5800x and 3090 in the loop.  3090 running at 390w.  Going up to 450-500w on the 3090 would push that delta to 15C.  Good enough, but nothing amazing.  
    kissTheApex
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 624
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/03 14:25:12 (permalink)
    How do you guys rate Corsair 5000D (not the airflow model) as a case for full loop?

It keeps popping up for sale at $100 and I’d like to get one if it’s not that bad at that price.
    Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/03 15:33:41 (permalink)
    I would go with the 5000D Airflow.  You still need air moving through the case.

Clovis559
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 563
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/03 15:38:37 (permalink)
    Though I'm not into cases, I would recommend a peek at the 7000D. It seems to have just a little extra space to work with and is not so cramped. It's a bit pricier also.
    skyline090
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 155
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/03 16:42:29 (permalink)
    The EK waterblock for the FTW3 3080/3090 is massive and it does not fit in a lot of cases due the the port housing hitting the side panel of the case. The block will fit in an O11D XL and may in the 7000D. I suggest making sure the case you use is compatible with whatever block you go with. I have seen many that do their build only to be stifled by a case that is too small.

irenicus785

The EK 3080/3090 FTW3 waterblock is compatible with the FTW3 3080ti (https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/waterblock/3831109832981)
    I have a complete EK loop minus the pump, which is the Corsair XD5. I run two Commander Pro's and 2 RGB hubs.
    One commander pro handles the RGB for the EK blocks as well as the fans for my 240mm rad. You can buy adapter cables that will plug into the Comm. Pro or rgb hub. ebay store piratedog_tech sells a variety of adapters.
    The other commander pro runs the push/pull fans on the 360mm rad.

I recommend buying more fittings than you think you'll need, along with extra tubing and coolant if this is your first build, and $1k is about right. I think I spent $1100 on my loop all said and done.
    If I could change one thing about my build, it would be the case. I am happy with it but would have loved to have two 360mm radiators in hindsight.
    post edited by skyline090 - 2021/08/03 16:51:52

Custom loop w/EK blocks - 12900k, 4090 FE, z690 Apex, G.Skill DDR5 6600 c32, EVGA 1000 P6, Lian Li O11D XL

irenicus785
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/03 23:27:46 (permalink)
    talon951
    One thing I'll add is the EK configurator is very optimistic for estimated water temp.  You will never achieve that number without running some crazy 3k rpm fans.  Even dual 280's will not get you great temps without a lot of fan speed.  The best I achieved with a 360 and 280 (both slim) was 10-12C water delta with fairly high fan speeds (1500-2000 rpm, Noctua A12's and Arctic P14's).  This was with a 5800x and 3090 in the loop.  3090 running at 390w.  Going up to 450-500w on the 3090 would push that delta to 15C.  Good enough, but nothing amazing.  

Good to know! I was like... Damn, their configurator is sooooo cool, assuming to tell me exactly what to expect down to the estimated cooling capacity!...

I thought to myself, finally, Skynet is *real*, I can just sit back and press-buttons and 'EK' will carry me along through their configurator with my wallet in tow, lol.

I decided to source majority of the parts from Cosair instead of EK, rounds up to 800+, but I still need to grab a GPU block from somewhere. I imagine ill pay at least 180-300 for a gpu block, so I may be climbing over initial costs from EK $1000 quote.

I plan to grab 2x 280mm rads, (top and bottom), with 4x140mm fans to match. (Using EK's recommendation, just with Cosair parts.)

I was going to go with ML fans, but ill just grab 4xQL fans instead for the esthetic on the rads... If it seems that cooling sucks or appears subpar, I'll buy new fans down the line.

Despite what Cosair and EK mention, I'm going to try to mount the Resv inside the front of the case, at the front somehow... (I don't want my resv hidden in the back, fack that!)|

Oddly enough, my gpu (3080ti ftw3) never reaches above 403watts (MSI OSD) even when I see it spike to 99 usage at 69c Max Temps on some titles like, (Days Gone) and (Doom Eternal) @ 1440p / 144hz...

Is my gpu faulty? I saw some threads earlier back in June where folks were in a tizzy about the whole PCIE 1/2 pulling proper wattage while the 3rd was pulling subpar wattage. (I didn't want to read too much into it, seemed like a rabbit hole and I truly am no expert on the matter.)

With all of the amazing responses to the thread, I'm going to look around before I settle on EK's block - I just wish Corsair had a damn GPU block! Like, come on man... Get with the newb program for old-heads like me.

slev21
    Hi Irenicus785

I am building my first water cooled loop too, I am still waiting on some parts to arrive, here in the Uk there is a shortage/backlog of items, hopefully I won't have to wait much longer for them.

I went with Optimus for my 3090 ftw3 block and lga 1200 cpu block, I decided on the EK quantum kinetic tbe d5 pump/reservoir and as Nike has already mentioned I also went with 16/11 zmt tubing but I preferred the EK quantum torque 12/16 fittings so I went with those, Radiators I got two 480mm for the front and two 360mm for the top, all 4 are Thermaltake cl pacific 64mm deep.
    With this being my first water build I also needed a 4.0 riser cable + EK leak tester .. so many extra's.

I've jumped in at the deep-end but I am enjoying building my new rig, I hope you have lots of fun too with your loop!.

I checked optimus's site earlier last week... Its a beautiful block, everyone was right! Lol, its a bit pricey, true, but i don't mind paying a bit more for quality! (Not settled on it just yet, but I may be swayed just yet.)

Lol, yes and extras... I did add a drain valve to my costs analysis for both EK's config and Corsair's config... Lol extra fittings for 90 degree bends, mhm, just keeps adding up! (I'm not too sad about this, at least I know its the right thing to do!)

Man, btw, congratz on your first and new build! You have a beefy system with lots of rad-powah, haha!

safan80

If you are just looking for parts to build your own custom loop I suggest you check out https://www.performance-pcs.com/
    They are pricey, but they have everything you will need.

Noted! Checking this site out now. More ideas and more places and more configurators is never a bad idea.
    I plan to spend and hopefully begin working on this by late September, much appreciated!
    post edited by irenicus785 - 2021/08/03 23:49:00

GPU ~EVGA 3080ti FTW3

OS ~ Windows 11 Pro

irenicus785
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/03 23:38:25 (permalink)
    skyline090
    The EK waterblock for the FTW3 3080/3090 is massive and it does not fit in a lot of cases due the the port housing hitting the side panel of the case. The block will fit in an O11D XL and may in the 7000D. I suggest making sure the case you use is compatible with whatever block you go with. I have seen many that do their build only to be stifled by a case that is too small.

The EK 3080/3090 FTW3 waterblock is compatible with the FTW3 3080ti (https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/waterblock/3831109832981)
    I have a complete EK loop minus the pump, which is the Corsair XD5. I run two Commander Pro's and 2 RGB hubs.
    One commander pro handles the RGB for the EK blocks as well as the fans for my 240mm rad. You can buy adapter cables that will plug into the Comm. Pro or rgb hub. ebay store piratedog_tech sells a variety of adapters.
    The other commander pro runs the push/pull fans on the 360mm rad.

I recommend buying more fittings than you think you'll need, along with extra tubing and coolant if this is your first build, and $1k is about right. I think I spent $1100 on my loop all said and done.
    If I could change one thing about my build, it would be the case. I am happy with it but would have loved to have two 360mm radiators in hindsight.

Damn, this is good to note! I was certainly worried about clearance. I'm surprised to read the gpu blocks may have these issues too, fack, I just sworn the air-cooler was the most of my worries. (Figured going water and removing the air cooler would always grant + more room!)

I have a backup plan, vertical mounting is an option on the Crystal 680x with 2 slots avail by default - if horizontal mounting sucks, I'll try keep this option in mind... I have a feeling I'm going to have to make adjustments and this won't fully go according to plan, lol.

(I bought a riser cable-mod pcigen3, 2 months back just in case.)

Hell, the stock 3080ti ftw3 aircooler barely fit horizontally against my 360mm rad (front mounted) in the Crystal 680x now... I managed to fit, but its barely centimeters away from the rad grill, lucky, but a bit way too close for comfort.

(I still have my 570x case sitting around incase all of this stuff just won't fit the beautiful 680x chasis.)

Thank you for the direct link! Super useful! My budget has already skyrocketed, lol.

You raised a great point... Adapters to retrofit EK RGB into Corsair Comm Pro... Wow. I may change brands after all? Shucks... A lot to think about now, haha, glad I came to this forum.

Noting, I may need to buy a 2nd Comm Pro, goodstuff, great cheat sheet!

You guys are great!

Clovis559
    Though I'm not into cases, I would recommend a peek at the 7000D. It seems to have just a little extra space to work with and is not so cramped. It's a bit pricier also.

Yes, I was eyeing the 7000D - I just love the temp-glass look, but I understand... I'm certainly fitting a elephant into a tiny case for sure!

Ultimately, if this all fails, I may go back to my 570x, or yea, source a 7000D. Good point to consider!
    post edited by irenicus785 - 2021/08/03 23:40:24

GPU ~EVGA 3080ti FTW3

OS ~ Windows 11 Pro

Dwarfy
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 704
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/04 03:25:13 (permalink)
    As a first time I'd recommend going for a kit and adding what you need to add say gpu to it, Alphacool do some great stuff and I think corsair do a kit too
    kissTheApex
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 624
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/04 10:05:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the case recommendations guys. I think the best bet is OD 11XL.

I think I’ll pass on the case until I have the HC card in hand (I may end up with one of two alternatives). For the hybrid, I can just leave the side glass open for now. When case is closed, temps are 58-ish max (max power ~430W), so it’s not like it is horrible.

OP, sorry for the thread side track, since it was related, I thought it would be inline with the general idea.
    post edited by kissTheApex - 2021/08/04 10:06:48
    irenicus785
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/04 12:50:37 (permalink)
    Dwarfy
    As a first time I'd recommend going for a kit and adding what you need to add say gpu to it, Alphacool do some great stuff and I think corsair do a kit too

Yep, I'm going full Corsair Configurator kit thus far, but will source the GPU block from either EK/Dominus - I haven't decided on that part yet, heh.

My original idea was to go full Corsair until they fronted on a 3080/3090/3080ti FTW3 gpu block, jerks... (lol)

I want to add 'New' or more custom parts as I go... I just wanna get off the ground with a full kit so I can see where I go wrong or can improve etc... I wanna join the rank of all of you Avengers in WaterCooling biz; its time! I want better cooling and more control, more RGB!

kissTheApex

I think I’ll pass on the case until I have the HC card in hand (I may end up with one of two alternatives). For the hybrid, I can just leave the side glass open for now. When case is closed, temps are 58-ish max (max power ~430W), so it’s not like it is horrible.

OP, sorry for the thread side track, since it was related, I thought it would be inline with the general idea.

Hah, don't worry, I don't mind - I may have to consider new case options, so its very relevant actually!
    post edited by irenicus785 - 2021/08/04 12:55:14

GPU ~EVGA 3080ti FTW3

OS ~ Windows 11 Pro

GTXMan
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/04 15:22:38 (permalink)
    irenicus785
    Dwarfy

Yep, I'm going full Corsair Configurator kit thus far, but will source the GPU block from either EK/Dominus - I haven't decided on that part yet, heh.

My original idea was to go full Corsair until they fronted on a 3080/3090/3080ti FTW3 gpu block, jerks... (lol)

I want to add 'New' or more custom parts as I go... I just wanna get off the ground with a full kit so I can see where I go wrong or can improve etc... I wanna join the rank of all of you Avengers in WaterCooling biz; its time! I want better cooling and more control, more RGB!

kissTheApex

Hah, don't worry, I don't mind - I may have to consider new case options, so its very relevant actually!

Just FYI if you're set on Optimus, the FTW3 blocks aren't regular inventory right now because of high demand but they're doing drops every Friday around 12pm (eastern). Just refresh intermittently after 12pm until you see it available to add to cart if you want to grab one because within a few days they're usually sold out and it's a 5-6 week lead time for delivery.

Zen_Punk
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re: Trying to openloop water-cool, but sourcing parts are a bit confusing? 2021/08/04 15:56:04 (permalink)
    Looks like you got some great ideas and answers.
    One I can recommend is to buy a really thin pair of mechanics gloves.
    Those fittings will really tear your fingers up.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile