EVGA

Trying to determine if PSU is source of boot error

Author
mcconkeytg
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/10/25 17:24:44 (permalink)
Tried submitting a ticket but got weird "Do not have permission to submit a ticket".

Last week (after no issues or visible problems), my computer was failing to turn on properly. It would power on, appear to start to post for a couple seconds, turn off, turn back on and remain unresponsive (no beeps, no post, etc.). Now it tends to just power on and remain unresponsive. The cpu cooler, video card and PSU fans turn on, but the case fans do not (cpu cooler fan and case fans plugged into motherboard).

I have been going through the standard testing (minimize the components, and see if will boot), with no success so far. The PSU turns on with the jumper self tester.  I was wondering if there is any other simple tests I could do to help diagnose if the issue could be the PSU? I have a multimeter and am comfortable with electronics testing.

Specs:
     Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor         
    Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard     
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 CL9 Memory    
    Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    SanDisk Extreme Pro 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive         
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Card        

EVGA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

2 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 27090
    • Ribbons : 119
    Re: Trying to determine if PSU is source of boot error 2021/10/25 17:55:35 (permalink)

MB have any Debug Post Codes ?

Failed OC ... multi reboots kind of sound like OC or hardware issue

Failed W10 update ?  Might have snuck into your PC .... can give long pauses or "looks like nothing is happening"

W10 Black screen issue ?   Comprehensive Windows 10 Black Screen Trouble shooting Guide

Triple check every connection at device & PSU

Pull the GPU & test with the CPU iGPU ... test with a different cable & monitor - if available

disconnect everything not needed ...  it could be a short to ground ... case fans not spinning ... or a MB issue

bad KB, mouse, DVD drive, RAM, fan or cable .... many possibilities for these types of issues

Re Case fans not spinning ...... unplug ALL but one fan at a time to see if any of the fans has failed ....

----> better yet if you have an old PSU ... test the fans with a different PSU

FAQ
         How do I test my power supply?

ATX voltage tolerances 

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK 2xEVGA2080Ti EVGA1200P2  Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified 3-GPU Water cooled 1600P2 AIO Folding  X99 2x1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid, 1200P Thank you for your support I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee
    mcconkeytg
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Trying to determine if PSU is source of boot error 2021/10/25 19:26:04 (permalink)
    No post codes (mother board has onboard LEDs and beeps for clues, but none of those happening).

Did have a bit of OC, but reset the bios (even replaced the battery) so should have cleared that.

Wouldn't be a OS issue, this is happening with even the HDD removed. Can't even POST.

The PSU is old, but still under warranty, that is why I was asking best way to test it. I take it just check the voltage for each pin? Don't have any spare components just lying around to test with I am afraid.

post edited by mcconkeytg - 2021/10/25 19:35:44
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile