EVGA

Trouble getting new video card to start.

Author
JADabandon
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/10/26 18:46:38 (permalink)
Hello good folks of the EVGA forums,
I have an older AMD FX 990fx motherboard and AMD 8350 cpu that I have just gotten up and running with Windows 7, so far so good.
I got it running with an old EVGA GTX 780 3GB that I bought a few years ago when they were new, never had a problem with it and it's still running well today.
Since this new-old computer is running so well I decided to buy a second EVGA GTX 780 3GB off of Amazon and see if I could get SLI going.
This video card that I just got off of Amazon was a refurb for $200, I went ahead and registered it incase I need to RMA it, which seems like it could be a possibility.
Because I am unable to get it to start up all the way, I have tried running it in several different configurations, in both of my pcie 16x slots, either with my old card or my new card in slot1, and just now with only my new card.
So far my computer will boot to Windows 7,but will go to a black screen, my keyboard will still respond, but no video.
Or after successfully uninstalling my old drivers in safe mode, which works perfectly fine, I was able to go back to regular mode in Windows 7,and was able to install some fresh drivers.
With just my brand new refurbished video card installed, and a fresh copy of the Nvidia version 388 driver, I was able to login to Windows 7 and tried running GPUZ to see what's going on.
It was able to list some, but not all of the details of my new video card, like it couldn't give me any temperature information.
When I went to device manager it would give I believe error 34, which if I remember correctly it means that windows could not allocate the resources to start the device.
Well I removed the video card and put my old one back in, everything is back to normal and I could run Fallout 4 once again.
So my biggest question here is, how much more should I mess around with this video card before starting the RMA process?
I only have one motherboard to test this card on, as I spent the past couple of years jumping between two states for work with my laptop, and I've been out of the loop with desktop computer stuff.
Should I drop Windows 7?
I've had several bad experiences with Windows 10 and I'm not looking forward to going back to it, but if it will give me a better experience with pci express management I'll do it, however I can also throw Ubuntu or Opensuse Linux on there.
Any suggestions?

19 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/10/26 18:53:13 (permalink)
    Try doing a manual install after cleaning the drivers out with ddu.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/10/26 19:26:18 (permalink)
    Run DDU -
    • Select: Safe mode (recommended)
    • Select: NVIDIA software and Drivers
    • Select: Clean with reboot

Loading Nvidia driver (offline, all background software is Off including security software)
    • Select: CUSTOM
    • Uncheck EVERYTHING except the GPU driver & PhysX
    • Check the CLEAN INSTALL box
    • Finish install
    • Reboot
    If DDU & clean install does not help - (I run Nvidia driver 372.90 on Win 7 - test it and see if the driver your using is the issue)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/10/26 22:48:13 (permalink)
    After install, did you do a mobo cmos reset? If not try that and then boot into your bios and setup your voltages, ram timings, boot devices etc... and then save and reboot that setup and see if that helps.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    JADabandon
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/10/27 07:49:01 (permalink)
    wmmills
    After install, did you do a mobo cmos reset? If not try that and then boot into your bios and setup your voltages, ram timings, boot devices etc... and then save and reboot that setup and see if that helps.

I have not done that yet, right now I'm jumping back and forth between safe mode and normal mode trying out that Display Driver Uninstaller.
    Nvidia driver 388 is still failing with my second video card installed.
    I had shutdown, switched my powersupply off, attached my second video card, went into safe mode, ran DDU, rebooted,
    Got into windows without a display driver installed, installed Nvidia driver 388 with just the base driver, physx software and the Nvidia audio driver (I don't have any other working sound card right now, sucks.)
    After rebooting, Windows 7 starts up, but either sits at a black screen where the login should happen, or completely crashes where I can't get a caps lock on my keyboard to see if the system is still responding.
    Btw after doing all of that, simply unplugging my second video card, the one that is refurbished from Amazon, I am able to boot up as normal with my original video card.
    I am going to try changing my video cards around, and try booting up with just the refurb card,
    Otherwise I'll go back into safe mode and run DDU again and try Nvidia driver 372.90 as Cool GTX recommended.
    JADabandon
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/10/27 09:38:45 (permalink)
    After DDU again, I left my refurbished card in by itself and installed driver 372.90.
    Now Windows 7 gives a very quick blue screen and immediately reboots once reaching the login screen.
    Safe mode still works as expected.
    I'm removing my ssd's that contains my Windows 7 and my Steam folder, I have another ssd that I'm going to try loading OpenSuse leap 42.3 on, I'll see what Linux can make out of this refurbished card.
    I'll test open sourced Nouveau driver and the Nvidia proprietary driver too.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/10/27 09:42:26 (permalink)
    Starting to sound like a defective video card. What happens when you try to do a manual install?
    JADabandon
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/10/27 15:14:24 (permalink)
    Can Nvidia drivers be installed from Windows Safe Mode?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/10/27 15:25:57 (permalink)
    I do not think so -- never tried

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

JADabandon
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/10/27 21:12:00 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Hmm, according to a quick google search it might be possible to do so, but the general wisdom is with Nvidia's modern drivers there is no reason to go into safe mode...
    Anywho, so I plugged my refurbished card back into my second PCIE 16x slot, let Windows 7 boot back into regular mode, I got to the login screen,
    typed in my password, my desktop loaded up, went to a black screen, caps locks still responding so I give it a bit, screen comes back on, I hear a ding
    that you typically hear when Windows finds new hardware and is going to install a driver for it.
    But then the screen goes black again, this time its totally locked up.
    So I figure I would just reset it and go back into safe mode and see whats going on, I go to the device manager and check out both cards,
    While in safe mode, the device manager doesn't report any problems, but of course the video cards aren't fully engaged,
    But, it is telling me that both video cards are using NVIDIA driver 21.21.13.7290 dated 9/16/2016.
    So I reboot back into regular mode and so far things seem promising, no more black screens or crashes...
    Only the video card that is sitting in slot #5 is reporting error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
    I also noticed that GPU-Z is showing two video cards, but the Nvidia control panel only shows one card and no option for SLI.
    Any suggestions on where I should go from here? Just keep on reinstalling the driver until something happens?
    Or should I just RMA this refurbished uncooperative video card?
    post edited by JADabandon - 2017/10/27 21:23:22
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/10/31 05:27:55 (permalink)
    JADabandon
    Cool GTX

So I reboot back into regular mode and so far things seem promising, no more black screens or crashes...
    Only the video card that is sitting in slot #5 is reporting error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
    I also noticed that GPU-Z is showing two video cards, but the Nvidia control panel only shows one card and no option for SLI.
    Any suggestions on where I should go from here? Just keep on reinstalling the driver until something happens?

Did you try swapping the cards to each other slots after you got the code 43 to see if the same code comes up if they are swapped? If so, that could point to the mobo slot having a issue. I asked about the cmos reset cause usually when you add new hardware to your system like a gpu, its good to clear out the bios settings/cache and let it redetect the current hardware on board to hand off to windows. Although, that means you have to resetup your bios settings. I suggest you do it manually, even if you are running stock, just to make sure you have a solid stable base to work from.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    JADabandon
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/11/02 20:46:22 (permalink)
    wmmills
    JADabandon
    Cool GTX

Did you try swapping the cards to each other slots after you got the code 43 to see if the same code comes up if they are swapped? If so, that could point to the mobo slot having a issue. I asked about the cmos reset cause usually when you add new hardware to your system like a gpu, its good to clear out the bios settings/cache and let it redetect the current hardware on board to hand off to windows. Although, that means you have to resetup your bios settings. I suggest you do it manually, even if you are running stock, just to make sure you have a solid stable base to work from.

Yup I tried removing my good working card and placed the refurbished card in slot 1 and tried cleaning out my old drivers and reinstalling fresh drivers, but at that point Windows would only start into safe mode, any attempt to login to Windows with the refurb card in and the drivers loaded would crash the system. If the drivers weren't installed I could log into Windows to the point of installing the drivers but then Windows would slowly lock up.
    I did not try clearing my BIOS too many times, as any time I used my good card, things just come together smoothly.
    Btw this motherboard is Quite worn out, I've had it for a few years, I just need to save up some money for a new board, but I need to decide if I want to stay with my AMD FX 8350 which I really like,
    or get with the modern times and buy a new AMD Ryzen processor.
    JADabandon
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/11/06 08:32:16 (permalink)
    I am finally getting my RMA for my refurbished GTX 780 off to a start, if EVGA can find another GTX 780 for me that would be pretty cool,
    but I did like how the tech support person did state that if they can not find one for me, they will replace it with newer card, which would be nice.
    He also did say that if they replace it with a newer card, that I can send it my original GTX 780 to match it with the newer card, so I can still do SLI.
    I will be Very sad to let go of my GTX 780, I've had it since 2014! And the GTX 780 is still a very good card!
    If I have to let it go to move on to a newer card, I better do as much Folding on it that I can!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/11/06 08:53:45 (permalink)
    Have you tried --> loading Windows default (gpu) driver at a resolution your monitor likes & standard 60 Hrz refresh ?

Then see if you can boot into Windows.  Sometimes black screen is because the Video card is attempting a refresh rate Not supported by the monitor

JADabandon
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/11/15 11:53:23 (permalink)
    Sorry about the late reply but yup I did try different refresh rates, while using my hdmi and display port cables it was defaulting to 60hz, but my Asus monitor supports 144hz at 1080p with Adaptive Refresh.
    Using my dual link DVI cable I can then select 144hz.
    JADabandon
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/11/15 11:57:56 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone who helped me with this!
    I just got my replacement card this morning and quickly plugged her in before leaving for work!
    My new replacement card worked in SLI mode right away on first try!
    I'm very happy to see her running so well with no hiccups or glitches!
    I may just yet be one of the last people in the northern hemisphere to go 4k. :p
    My only problem is that now I'm running one card with a waterblock and the other with the ACX fan. :p
    My original card with the waterblock I actually have to work hard to get it past 40c, my new card it's kinda sad to watch the Temps fluctuate, oh well, time to shop for a waterblock. :p
    post edited by JADabandon - 2017/11/15 12:00:01
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/11/15 14:02:47 (permalink)
    Glad it is sorted

Crank up those case fans, till you get the block - ACX will dump most of the heat inside the case

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/11/15 15:36:48 (permalink)
    JADabandon
    Thanks to everyone who helped me with this!
    I just got my replacement card this morning and quickly plugged her in before leaving for work!
    My new replacement card worked in SLI mode right away on first try!
    I'm very happy to see her running so well with no hiccups or glitches!
    I may just yet be one of the last people in the northern hemisphere to go 4k. :p
    My only problem is that now I'm running one card with a waterblock and the other with the ACX fan. :p
    My original card with the waterblock I actually have to work hard to get it past 40c, my new card it's kinda sad to watch the Temps fluctuate, oh well, time to shop for a waterblock. :p

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/11/15 19:50:19 (permalink)

Glad the replacement solved the problem.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    wonker89youare
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Trouble getting new video card to start. 2017/11/16 22:37:31 (permalink)
    when you buy from amazon.... they are a authorized retailer....... BUT if the seller on amazon if not amazon llc.... you WILL NOT receive the warranty.... for a 780.... i just learned this the hard way..... when you buy from amazon.... MAKE SURE the sellers is AMAZON LLC!!!! if not you can lose your warranty.... even if you are the first to use it and open it... please be careful from who you buy from........ lots of people dont know this.... and are shocked quite understandably when evga dont honor that warranty.... there ARE options available to you if you buy a newer card....... but the 780.... evga dont produce anymore...... MAKE SURE i cant stress this enough.... that the seller of the item... is from amazon llc......
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile