Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Phily
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2015/08/13 07:26:20 (permalink)
Hello Community,

I've had my Titan X for about two weeks now.  I am looking to overclock it, but not sure where to start or what the max overclocking I should perform on air without putting it in jeopardy of ruining it.  Do I need to adjust any voltages or just  the GPU Clock Offset?  My ASIC is 70%.

Any help/feedback on where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Below is a screenshot of my Precision X default settings and GPU-Z with ASIC %.

47 Replies Related Threads

CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1788
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 09:14:30 (permalink)
    Are you being limited by temperature or voltage currently?  The sensors tab of GPU-Z will give you that info (no offense if you already know that).  It will throttle itself for temperature anyway, so no real worries there.

Others will have their preferred method of performing an OC.  I personally look for the OC without any voltage first.  I do 10MHz jumps and test for stability at each.  As soon as I hit my first unstable, I back up 5MHz.  If it is unstable, I drop down 1MHz at a time until it is.  If it is stable at the 5MHz drop, I go up 1MHz at a time to find the ceiling.  At that point, assuming I'm not happy with the OC, I look at the reason for the cap.  If it is voltage I start to add it incrementally and then retest from my last known good 10MHz increment.

I have not touched the memory on mine (...yet).

Mine boosted to over 1250MHz without me changing anything.  I added the AIO and it started hitting 1316MHz because temperature was my original cap cause.  I then starting to play around with the voltage.  I am now boosting over 1400 with my +100MHz OC and I believe I am at 108% power target.  I have no idea if it will go higher.  1400 was my goal and it is stable so I stopped.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
    Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 10:40:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for getting back with me!

I am new to overclocking, so please forgive me ignorance or lack of knowledge!

Not sure what you mean by being limited to temperature or voltage.  I took a screenshot of the Sensors tab for you to view.  Temp is 39.0C and voltage is 0.8870V (if I am reading it correctly).

I would like to start OC'ing with out any voltage as well!  I don't want to fry my new card! haha.  When you perform your 10MHz jumps, how do you test for stability?  Or better yet, how I will I know when it is unstable?

Below is a screenshot of the GPU under load with GW2.

Sensor at idle.

Sensor and Card under load.

EDIT:

Here is a screenshot under full load fighting a boss with over 100 people.

post edited by Phily - 2015/08/13 11:18:14
    CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 12:53:15 (permalink)
    Do you see where it says PerfCap Reason?  In the screen shot that has the blue?  That is the reason it topped out in that instance.  If you mouse over it you can read the cause.

Pwr: Limited by total power limit
    Thrm: Limited by temperature limit
    VRel: Limited by reliability voltage
    VOp: Limited by operating voltage
    Util: Limited by GPU utilization

If you know why you are limited, you can make adjustments for it.  So, if it said you were capped for Thrm, you could increase fan speed to lower temps.  Pwr and you could adjust your power target, etc.

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 15:01:57 (permalink)
    Start by maxing the "Power Limit" slider, and hit apply. This will allow your GPU to boost farther, and won't degrade your video card at all.

Next start increasing your core clock speed in ~25MHz increments, and hit apply. ***After each 25MHz bump, run a benchmark such as Valley and look for any artifacts. If there aren't any observed after 5 to 10 minutes, bump up the clock another 25MHz. Once you observer artifacts, either lower your overclock by 10MHz and test again, or add +10Mv.

It is also a good idea to have GPU-Z running in the background, or use the OSD (on screen display) to monitor temperature, core clock speed (to see if it is going down a lot), and those limits that CoercionShaman pointed out.
    Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 16:24:06 (permalink)
    CoercionShaman
    Do you see where it says PerfCap Reason?  In the screen shot that has the blue?  That is the reason it topped out in that instance.  If you mouse over it you can read the cause.

Pwr: Limited by total power limit
    Thrm: Limited by temperature limit
    VRel: Limited by reliability voltage
    VOp: Limited by operating voltage
    Util: Limited by GPU utilization

If you know why you are limited, you can make adjustments for it.  So, if it said you were capped for Thrm, you could increase fan speed to lower temps.  Pwr and you could adjust your power target, etc.

It's VRel.  See screenshot taken while in game.  I am confused though.  How is the card bottle-necking?  I do have a 4K monitor, but this card is supposed to be a beast!

So, with it topped out at VRel, what's the recommended step?

arestavo
    Start by maxing the "Power Limit" slider, and hit apply. This will allow your GPU to boost farther, and won't degrade your video card at all.

Next start increasing your core clock speed in ~25MHz increments, and hit apply. ***After each 25MHz bump, run a benchmark such as Valley and look for any artifacts. If there aren't any observed after 5 to 10 minutes, bump up the clock another 25MHz. Once you observer artifacts, either lower your overclock by 10MHz and test again, or add +10Mv.

It is also a good idea to have GPU-Z running in the background, or use the OSD (on screen display) to monitor temperature, core clock speed (to see if it is going down a lot), and those limits that CoercionShaman pointed out.

When you say "Power Limit" slider, are you referring to the 'Power Target' sliders in PrecisionX? 
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 17:09:44 (permalink)
    Yes indeed - sorry if I called it by something else, I stopped using PrecisionX and started using Afterburner months ago because it crashed my games.

Vrel looks like it needs more voltage to sustain the clock speed. But I am not too sure how that translates into actual use, because I almost always see a slight drop in GPU speed (~13MHz) and a small dip in voltage whenever I stress my 980 Ti. Let me try it on mine and see if I get the Vrel code too.

EDIT: Yep, I get the Vrel code as well, but it isn't any sort of problem at least for me. I assume it is just that initial 13MHz drop.
    post edited by arestavo - 2015/08/13 17:16:09
    Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 18:06:42 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Yes indeed - sorry if I called it by something else, I stopped using PrecisionX and started using Afterburner months ago because it crashed my games.

Vrel looks like it needs more voltage to sustain the clock speed. But I am not too sure how that translates into actual use, because I almost always see a slight drop in GPU speed (~13MHz) and a small dip in voltage whenever I stress my 980 Ti. Let me try it on mine and see if I get the Vrel code too.

EDIT: Yep, I get the Vrel code as well, but it isn't any sort of problem at least for me. I assume it is just that initial 13MHz drop.

Thanks for getting back with me.

I was not aware that I could use MSI Afterbuner with an EVGA card.  I thought I had to use precision X.  I noticed with I have precision x open, it crashes GW2.  Let me download Afterburner and try it.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 18:23:12 (permalink)
    Just make sure you close out and uninstall PrecisionX. Having both open will probably cause blue screens (and maybe even give you problems if they are just installed at the same time too).

Funny enough, GW2 crashing with PrecisionX was the primary driving force behind me changing to Afterburner. And just so you know, GW2 benefits more from a good overclock on your CPU than on your GPU. At stock my 3930K would have hitching when panning the camera around using the mouse - overclocked to 4.3GHz and it is smooth (it would probably take less, but that is this CPUs best OC for temps and voltage used).
    post edited by arestavo - 2015/08/13 18:26:16
    CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 18:38:11 (permalink)
    VREl is reliability voltage.  That is your card saying it is uncertain that it can maintain the current boost with the supplied voltage.  The only way to fix that that I am aware of actually means modifying your boost table which then means flashing the bios.  Maybe someone else can offer something different.  I read in a thread at some point that KBoost can help with that but I can't say that I am familiar with it.

Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 19:12:02 (permalink)
    CoercionShaman
    VREl is reliability voltage.  That is your card saying it is uncertain that it can maintain the current boost with the supplied voltage.  The only way to fix that that I am aware of actually means modifying your boost table which then means flashing the bios.  Maybe someone else can offer something different.  I read in a thread at some point that KBoost can help with that but I can't say that I am familiar with it.

Does this mean I should RMA the card with EVGA?  Currently, the card is not being overclocked, it is at stock presets.  If it cannot maintain the current boost with the supplied voltage that is it defective?
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/13 21:34:52 (permalink)
    I wouldn't think so, but you can always call EVGA's 24/7 tech support line and ask them - https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/ 
    Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 06:03:49 (permalink)
    I spoke with tech support and the informed me their is nothing wrong with the card.  The guy told me VRel is letting me know that its at the highest boost the card will support without overclocking. 
    CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 06:08:31 (permalink)
    Phily
    CoercionShaman

Does this mean I should RMA the card with EVGA?  Currently, the card is not being overclocked, it is at stock presets.  If it cannot maintain the current boost with the supplied voltage that is it defective?

Not if it is performing at and maintaining the advertised clock speeds.  And it is being over clocked by default as you have an SC.   Your boost was at 1290MHz when it happened.  The card only claims 1216MHz boost clock.  You are already above that.  My card gives VRel at times, but is still running over what it should have been anyway, so I can't complain about it.

EDIT:  Just saw your post from a few minutes ago.

Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 06:15:42 (permalink)
    CoercionShaman
    Phily
    CoercionShaman

Not if it is performing at and maintaining the advertised clock speeds.  And it is being over clocked by default as you have an SC.   Your boost was at 1290MHz when it happened.  The card only claims 1216MHz boost clock.  You are already above that.  My card gives VRel at times, but is still running over what it should have been anyway, so I can't complain about it.

EDIT:  Just saw your post from a few minutes ago.

Thanks for the information.  Ah, you are correct.  I didn't noticed the 1,290MHz.  So, I am getting a small amount over the recommended boost clock.

Based on your earlier recommendations, start with 10MHz jumps and test for stability.  Do I need to adjust the memory or voltage based on the screenshots I have provided?

CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 06:25:02 (permalink)
    You are going to have to increase your voltage as you are already hitting VRel.  Just increasing the power target at this point will probably give you more boost all on its own.  The card will limit with VOp as the reason if you hit the max voltage cap.  It is going to protect itself.

I just use steps of 10 because I find it easier to find the absolute stable OC with the smaller increases.  Arestavo was recommending 25MHz jumps.  Nothing wrong with that if you want to make that size of a jump.

Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 07:01:30 (permalink)
    CoercionShaman
    You are going to have to increase your voltage as you are already hitting VRel.  Just increasing the power target at this point will probably give you more boost all on its own.  The card will limit with VOp as the reason if you hit the max voltage cap.  It is going to protect itself.

I just use steps of 10 because I find it easier to find the absolute stable OC with the smaller increases.  Arestavo was recommending 25MHz jumps.  Nothing wrong with that if you want to make that size of a jump.

Okay, I will attempt that.  Just to make sure I understand what is the Difference between the Power Limit vs the Core and Memory clock?  Does the Power encompass both of them?
    CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 07:03:34 (permalink)
    I don't know if you have ever used the site, but overclock.net has some pretty amazing guides and info.  Those guys post up their own bios hacks and somebody has already tested everything at least twice.  NOTE:  I am not condoning or recommending flashing your bios with one that has been modified.  I am a very simple overclocker and have nowhere near the knowledge of many.  It may provide you with some useful information, though, and, at the very least, some interesting reads.

Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 10:08:37 (permalink)
    CoercionShaman
    I don't know if you have ever used the site, but overclock.net has some pretty amazing guides and info.  Those guys post up their own bios hacks and somebody has already tested everything at least twice.  NOTE:  I am not condoning or recommending flashing your bios with one that has been modified.  I am a very simple overclocker and have nowhere near the knowledge of many.  It may provide you with some useful information, though, and, at the very least, some interesting reads.

Thanks for the tips.  I will check out the site for some additional information.

Side note:  When I spoke with the EVGA tech, I told I get between 9-20 FPS in GW2.  He told me I should be getting way more than it.  He mentioned to check and make sure my RAM timings were correct (which I did).  I wonder if it is the card?

See screenshot of FPS.

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 10:12:14 (permalink)
    That isn't a picture of your GW2 video settings, the next tab down is what you should take a screen shot of.
    CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 10:14:59 (permalink)
    What he said.

I have VSync enabled and can hit 60 FPS consistently in GW2.  I haven't logged in for a bit, though.  Driver issue?  You definitely have something else going on there.

I will log in this weekend and see if I am abnormally low as well.

Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 11:09:54 (permalink)
    arestavo
    That isn't a picture of your GW2 video settings, the next tab down is what you should take a screen shot of.

CoercionShaman
    What he said.

I have VSync enabled and can hit 60 FPS consistently in GW2.  I haven't logged in for a bit, though.  Driver issue?  You definitely have something else going on there.

I will log in this weekend and see if I am abnormally low as well.

@arestavo and @CoercionShaman, opps, thanks for pointing it out.  Didn't realize I took the wrong picture.

Below is the a screenshot of the video settings.

I was always told to uncheck VSync as it limits you.  If you have it set, you should get higher frames.  Is this incorrect?

CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 14:19:39 (permalink)
    VSYNC limits your frames to the monitor refresh rate.  Why have your card do all that work and risk frame tearing if your monitor can only run at 60Hz (or whatever your refresh rate is)?

CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 14:40:17 (permalink)
    You definitely have some issues and I don't believe it is solely your card.

And I feel a bit stupid for recommending overclock to you.  I just clicked on your rig to see if your monitor was listed and saw your note about your working build on overclock.  Speaking of which... you need to update your rig page.  Still shows 2X7970s.

Are you still running the 3 Catleap monitors?  We never asked what resolution you where playing at and can't see the res in your screen shot.

CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 14:56:15 (permalink)
    I have no idea why I can't post in my screenshot.  I'm hitting 93 FPS with ambient occlusion, depth blur and high res textures also checked.  All the other settings are the same as yours.  I run in full screen as opposed to windowed full.

Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 15:11:13 (permalink)
    CoercionShaman
    You definitely have some issues and I don't believe it is solely your card.

And I feel a bit stupid for recommending overclock to you.  I just clicked on your rig to see if your monitor was listed and saw your note about your working build on overclock.  Speaking of which... you need to update your rig page.  Still shows 2X7970s.

Are you still running the 3 Catleap monitors?  We never asked what resolution you where playing at and can't see the res in your screen shot.

Sorry, my rig outdated.  I need to update everything.

Current rig:

i7 3770k
    24GB GSkill Ram 1600
    ASROCK Extreme 4 Z77
    Corsair closed loop cpu cooler
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Monitor is Crossover 434K 43" true 60HZ 4K
    4:4:4 Chroma
    DP 1.2
    3840 x 2160 Resolution.
    http://www.crosslcd.co.kr...mp=product&pg=434K

post edited by Phily - 2015/08/14 15:14:12
    Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/14 15:12:39 (permalink)
    CoercionShaman
    I have no idea why I can't post in my screenshot.  I'm hitting 93 FPS with ambient occlusion, depth blur and high res textures also checked.  All the other settings are the same as yours.  I run in full screen as opposed to windowed full.

I get the same with Full Screen, window, or window full screen.
    Phily
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/15 21:48:38 (permalink)
    I just happen to pull up GPU-Z while playing and a ton of pink (Thrm) came across the perfcap.

ssiperko1
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 195
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/16 10:55:45 (permalink)
    You can open a couple GPU's sessions and see both screens at the same time. 

I can't wait till my TX gets here. My KP's don't register a PerfCap Reason..... prolly cuz thars not much of one. 

SS

Z97 Classified
    4790k at 49 core/44 ring 1.290v/1.20v
    EKWB X360 kit +XTX240&XTX360 with 20 Mass Cool fans
    Lamptron FC5 Fan Controller V3
    32 GB G.Skillz at 2400 10-11-11-24-1T 
    2x 1TB EVO 840
    2 TB Hybrid Seagate hd
    ASUS Blu-Ray RW
    EVGA Titan X SC under EK block/BP
    EVGA 1200 P2 ps with green CableMod sleeved cables
    Caselabs Mercury S8 case
    Acer XB270HU 1440 g-sync monitor
    Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media Speakers
    Razer Tiamat 7.1 headphones
    Razer Death Adder mouse
    Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboard
    MadCatz Panther XL usb modded gaming joystick
    Win 7 Pro/Win 8.1 dual boot
    I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time. 

CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Titan X Overclock Recommendations 2015/08/17 07:01:53 (permalink)
    Phily
    I just happen to pull up GPU-Z while playing and a ton of pink (Thrm) came across the perfcap.

So it is throttling because it is hitting temperature cap.  It is showing 81°C and you can see it just dropped so it was probably at 83°C when it happened.  Did you set a custom fan profile?  It only shows 49% fan speed.  You are going to have to raise that.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile