EVGA

Liquid Cooling - Looking for the best.

Author
KULBaracudda
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/27 13:02:24 (permalink)
The beginning topic has changed drastically so please pass by the first few posts where I was looking for a card that is no longer available new through EVGA and get to the cooling information below.
My thanks to those who tried to help me with a frivolous endeavor.

****** Old thread beginning******
[[Been looking all around and can't find information on when the EVGA Titan X Hydro Copper will be available again. I've been looking and all I can find are a few used and that just won't go in my machine.

Any update on this? I'm patiently (not) waiting for it to become available to put a couple into my new rig...that is only waiting on the vid cards.]]
post edited by KULBaracudda - 2017/04/12 11:42:33

(Current Rig)
  • EVGA GTX 960 4MB
  • Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero
  • i7-4790K
  • H105 extreme performance CPU cooling with wide Rad
  • G Skill Trident X 32MB
  • Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Military Green Steel case

12 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Titan X Hydro Copper availability?? 2017/03/27 15:02:17 (permalink)
    Pretty sure the cards are EOL. They won't be coming back into stock anytime soon. THIS is probably you best option at this time.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Titan X Hydro Copper availability?? 2017/03/27 15:19:00 (permalink)
    https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/ show they have them and in stock ATM.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Titan X Hydro Copper availability?? 2017/03/27 15:22:17 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/ show they have them and in stock ATM.

I think the OP is looking for the cards with the blocks already installed & not just a water block itself.
    KULBaracudda
    Re: Titan X Hydro Copper availability?? 2017/03/27 18:18:10 (permalink)
    Sajin
    bcavnaugh
     show they have them and in stock ATM.

I think the OP is looking for the cards with the blocks already installed & not just a water block itself.

Quite right in assumptions.
    I'm still a little new to liquid cooling other than the Fully contained options. (Currently running a H105 on my CPU) or I would probably love the link that was sent earlier... but I honestly don't know enough to follow that and get the best equipment, let along how to effectively use them.

If anyone knows a link to a great training video or such that can get me started on a better knowledge base that would be greatly appreciated.

(Current Rig)
    • EVGA GTX 960 4MB
    • i7-4790K
    • G Skill Trident X 32MB
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Titan X Hydro Copper availability?? 2017/04/04 13:16:49 (permalink)
    KULBaracudda
    If anyone knows a link to a great training video or such that can get me started on a better knowledge base that would be greatly appreciated.

This one is a little old but was fairly decent http://lifehacker.com/5940236/a-beginners-guide-to-water-cooling-your-computer

I've seen guides that claim watercooling is done purely for aesthetics. This is true for some people, but it isn't the only reason (certainly not the most common) and I wouldn't trust guides making that claim. I am an avid long time watercooler and I do it for proper cooling under 24/7 hardware loads. Watercooling (especially DIY loops) are expensive, so be prepared for the cost before decide to dive in.  

Given the costs if you are going to watercool ya would ideally have a CPU+GPU loop. The most gains in temp drops tend to be from GPU cooling.

Some quick tips:
    • Don't use basic PVC tubing you find at a hardware store. It's a pain to work with, yellows in a year, and doesn't seal well. You will be happier spending more for quality tubing. (took me years to learn this one, was a cheapskate )
    • All tubing will eventually discolor after a few years of heavy use, so some people prefer opaque tubes so it isn't visible.
    • I personally prefer the Laing D5 pumps, they have one of the best track records for longevity of any pump. But that's just me, and D5's don't suit small loops/systems well.
    • Don't mix metals in you loop (avoid silver coils for this reason). IE, cheapest radiators tend to be aluminum, you want one with a copper core (alu fins are fine, water won't touch those).
    • Distilled water with algaecide is pretty much all you need.
    post edited by kougar - 2017/04/04 13:19:23

Have water, will cool. 
    KULBaracudda
    Re: Titan X Hydro Copper availability?? 2017/04/04 14:06:38 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for the insight Kougar... greatly appreciated. I intend to make it nice and clean looking but asthetics are a byproduct for me. I MAY put a luminescent dye in but that's really only because the case I purchased has a large side window...and that's not even a definite..lol

If I may pick your brain load of experience that would be so very helpful. (Others inputs as well)

First off, I've been looking around and the EKWB site seems to have great reviews and relatively decent prices if the items are as good as some claim. (Not afraid of putting needed funds into this rig to do it right the first time) Any thoughts on that particular company?

I am seriously considering running 2, either average or smaller sized, reservoirs. 1 for CPU and 1 for dual GPUs. My case has the room for 2 as well as 2 full sized radiators and still have fans to move air through the box for general cooling and hopefully positive inflow. (I went with the Corsair Air 740.  )

As for not mixing metals, I hadn't thought of it but that does make sense. I've got the AVG hydro copper blocks already... and had planned on a copper block for the rad. Is there a better connection metal? The Nickel looks nicest but that doesn't mean much... I plan on not using any plastic type locking connectors as they would be more prone to stripping, tweaking and malforming under accidental over tightening... as my experience with mechanical irrigation systems has taught me.

Lastly, distilled water is obviously a "good choice" ...but is it the best? Is there a solution that's out there that may or may not be water based that works exceptionally without damaging any parts of the cooling equipment?

Thank you in advance for any and all input! I'll go watch that video when I have more time to focus on it.

Edit:

After reading up.. if I go with the dual Res/Rad idea... a single or dual D5 looks like it would be more than adequate for each. (keep in mind.. money isn't the problem for this build and longevity plus all around overclocked cooling is the primary focus here.)
    post edited by KULBaracudda - 2017/04/04 14:57:03

(Current Rig)
    • EVGA GTX 960 4MB
    • i7-4790K
    • G Skill Trident X 32MB
    Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Titan X Hydro Copper availability?? 2017/04/05 22:57:17 (permalink)
    Copper insides is what Kougar is referring to.
    If you have full copper block for gpu, and a copper block with nickel outside, with a copper radiator, that is all copper. Its the insides that count.
    If you have 1 or 2 copper blocks, and use an aluminum radiator, the different metals will cause a caustic like effect and needs to be cleaned every 3 to 6 moths. Also, if any of the caustic 'crud' gets into the pump, it can break the pump.
    Same inside metals wont have this caustic gunk buildup, and extends having to clean only every year or 2, some have gone 3 years without having to clean, but iirc that was with speacial coolant.
    And, yes, you can get special coolant. Look it up, read reviews, see whats right for you.

I persanally went from my own water system to allinone solutions, since the aio solutions will last as long as my computers, throw them away when the no longer work, and its about the same money as buying a new block + the hassle of draining and installing.
    Of course this doesnt apply to video cards, as there have only been a couple true aio solutions made, and they are video card specific.
    But, since you can buy an evga card with an aio, why not do that instead?

Ask others, a personnally made system takes time, money, and management, but cool better.
    AIO solutions are worry free, for the most part, and have a 1 time cost, but dont cool as well, for the most part.
    post edited by Dave3d - 2017/04/05 23:00:19

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Titan X Hydro Copper availability?? 2017/04/06 17:25:56 (permalink)
    EKWB makes decent stuff, but they also charge a a bit more for it. I don't have personal experience with their stuff to add unless I count the Titan Black hydro which I think uses their block. Had a bad experience with that card dying in two years, and rumor on these forums was that EVGA had a falling out with EKWB or something. I don't pretend to know. EVGA partnered with Swiftech for the GTX 480 Hydro block and that GPU is still running F@H today so make of it what you will. I'm waiting for Volta or a Volta TI Hydro before I try for a third Hydro card to expand my Hydro sample size.  That said I've been eyeballing an EKWB top or rez/D5 combo unit for awhile now to tidy up my system routing and get a bit more performance from my old Laing D5. 

Regarding your coolant question, everybody that makes WC gear has their own coolant and coolant additives. If you like the color or a coolant that already has preventative additives then go for it, but just keep in mind raw performance won't be improved by using fancy coolants. I have been out of the loop long enough I couldn't recommend any particular coolant, you'd need to check out a dedicated watercooling forum (many exist!). I remember some of the cheapest stuff being hawked around by no-names had dyes that would break down within a year or two. 

Regarding websites, here's a quick list of places that sell Watercooling gear. Amazon is starting to carry a lot of stuff as well. Prices don't differ much for EKWB stuff between sites, but you can save money by buying older gen blocks (lose <5C off performance for the Apogee line) or other discontinued stuff. 

http://www.performance-pcs.com/
    http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html
    https://modmymods.com/
    http://www.swiftech.com/
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/

A single D5 should be plenty for a standard loop, a dual pump config is overkill unless you're going to run multiple radiators or loops. I won't argue with Dave3d, he's right in that AIO's or CLC's are simpler, don't require maintenance (if they even allow it) and do well enough. The tradeoff is the lifespan as they tend to last 3-5 years, which isn't a problem if you upgrade systems frequently. I build a rig for the long haul so I'm happy to DIY. My Laing D5 pump is ten years old and still going. 

Have water, will cool. 
    KULBaracudda
    Re: Titan X Hydro Copper availability?? 2017/04/12 11:32:38 (permalink)
    Awesome information and insight Kougar. Again it is greatly appreciated.

I do indeed intend to run a dual pump/pump/res/rad system, both being independent. (total of 4 pumps in 2 unique cooling lines... still considering just one each though and the integrated pump/res may get a glance) I feel that the heat displacement won't flow to the next component that way and if one does indeed have issues with flow then it won't have an adverse affect on the other. (I'm also looking for longevity) As far as the dual pump on each... There will be a longer tubing from the back side of the wide case making for more fluid to pump and though it may not seem much, the extra load may wear a pump out sooner (talking an extra year of work for slow degradation) and if in fact one of the two systems has a single pump failure the other in line will do the job quite well and keep from losing components.

Researching has shown me that both standard pumps are capable but the D5 seems to have the better aspects, in my theories anyhow. Not interested in an older gen just to save money (this time around it's not regulated by funds) unless it's actually a better unit.. but the way the industry has continued to improve by what I've read that won't likely be the situation. I'm not sold on any particular brand and I know that marketing can make an Edsel seem like a Porche. So still looking for that bit of information everywhere that shows if one brand seems to have fewer issues or a lower fail rate along with top performance but there seems to only be individual testimonies that aren't compiled into a "Know all final answer"... Yes, I know this is a pipe dream, but there doesn't seem to be much of any consensus that outweighs another that isn't some form of social marketing.

I also agree with Dave3d about the enclosed systems. My H105 does a proper job to say the least and has far outdone all of my past experiences with some of the best air cooled items over the last 17 years on all of my OC CPUs from the old Athlon 1 core 1.1GHz to my current quad core i7-4790K. However there is no play with it. What cooling it gives is what it gives. The newer units sometimes have a variable rate pump but that only marginally changes the effectiveness.

Once again, this is all very helpful and appreciated. I hope that it helps others as well!

Just realized that the topic has drastically changed here.. I may look into at least changing the topic information and editing my first posts so that the information here is not lost to those in need.

(Current Rig)
    • EVGA GTX 960 4MB
    • i7-4790K
    • G Skill Trident X 32MB
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Titan X Hydro Copper availability?? 2017/04/12 13:44:45 (permalink)
    KULBaracudda
    Sajin
    bcavnaugh
     show they have them and in stock ATM.

Quite right in assumptions.
    I'm still a little new to liquid cooling other than the Fully contained options. (Currently running a H105 on my CPU) or I would probably love the link that was sent earlier... but I honestly don't know enough to follow that and get the best equipment, let along how to effectively use them.

Well we all know what assumptions mean now a days.
    I hope you get what your are looking for.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Gam3r26
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re: Liquid Cooling - Looking for the best. 2017/04/28 15:45:00 (permalink)
    I am not a fanboy or anything, but here is my 2 cents, you cant go wrong with and Alphacool or XSPC kit.  I always hear good reviews about those 2 watercooling brands.  My suggestion do research and settle on the manufacturer that meets your needs =)
    KULBaracudda
    Re: Liquid Cooling - Looking for the best. 2017/04/28 16:14:53 (permalink)
    Thanks. That's exactly what I'm doing. The information here helps to make the decision that will be mine ti make. The back order of cards is finally being shipped soon so it's coming down to the final choices. All the info here has helped on one end or the other. 😊

(Current Rig)
    • EVGA GTX 960 4MB
    • i7-4790K
    • G Skill Trident X 32MB
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile