EVGA

Helpful ReplyThree defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Author
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/04 23:58:07 (permalink)
Intoxicus
bavor
Intoxicus
Yes, and things can go wrong so it delivers the wrong amount of power if there's a defect with the motherboard. The GPU can ask for the correct amount of power then the mobo gives it too .uch because of a defect.

That isn't even remotely close to how it works.  

Not to sound mean or offensive, but it seems that you don't have a basic understanding of how the parts work or a basic understanding or electrical circuits. 

I do in fact understand the fundamentals of electrical engineering. My father is an electrical engineers and I grew up with this stuff. I learned how to OC a 386 as a child, I learned DOS by watching my dad and replicated what I saw him do, my dad taught to build PCs before age 10. Not to mention actually doing stuff like taking electronics classes in school, etc. 

As a former troubleshooter before I stopped doing Seismic Exploration I've learned to never dismiss what you think is not possible and try it anyway even if only to say you did it. I've solve enough issues by doing something that seemed silly and then finding the problem because that silly thing solved it or pointed me in the direction to a solution. 

When you're troubleshooting an issue you have to eliminate variables in a systematic fashion. And sometimes try things that don't seem to make sense at the time. 
Have you tried different cables? Different Motherboard? Different PCIe slot? Bios update for your mobo? Did you reseat all connections?
*Is it a PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 mobo? Is it set to the right PCIe version in bios?*

I would not be surprised if that GPU works fine in a different system and it's your motherboard. It is very possible there is an motherboard issue causing your overpowered PCIe slot.
I would also not be surprised if it is the GPU and you had a crazy streak of bad luck.

With all respect and Not to sound mean or offensive but when someone posts they're having the same problem repeatedly like you have I always ask myself "what is this person doing that might be causing it?"
Because when the same issue presents with different hardware that points towards either user error or other hardware as the cause. Maybe even both.

It is possible to get 3 defective GPUs in a row. But that's also extremely unlikely.
If it is the GPU you might want to buy some lottery tickets even though that's a gambler's fallacy ;)

First of all, you definitely don't sound like you have a basic understanding of any sort of modern electrical circuit.

Second, you didn't read the post or any of the other posts on the subject and don't have a basic understanding of modern electrical circuits if you think, "It is very possible there is an motherboard issue causing your overpowered PCIe slot." The EVGA 3090 FTW3 cards drawing more than 75 watts through the PCIEx16 slot a widespread issue across many EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 owners based on posts in this forum.  It was also a widespread issue with certain AMD cards a few years ago.  The motherboard causing the card to receive more power its just not how those parts work at all.  That just backs up my belief that you have no idea who these parts work and you didn't read the original post in this thread.

Third, your reply above where you said, "I would not be surprised if that GPU works fine in a different system and it's your motherboard. It is very possible there is an motherboard issue causing your overpowered PCIe slot." again further backs up my belief that you never read the original post before replying because if you read my original post you would not have said that for multiple reasons.

You basically are contributing nothing but noise and spam at this point.
Kylearan
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 00:01:25 (permalink)
AWK16
This issue was never addressed, let alone resolved, it’s still happening to a BIG # of people and a lot of them are on their second or even 3rd RMA and yet, the same issue persists.
So! If the so call “protection” that is triggering card to fail, by now, after having so many cards returned EVGA would know exactly where the issue is and how to fix it.

This seems to be a much bigger problem that is being “swept under the rug” and I suspect users will keep on dealing with the fallout sooner or later and unfortunately It will be at their expense.
This is not the same as we’ve have seen with 10/20 series cards, this seems much more frequent and wide spread issue.

As I said before, which no one seemed to reply to, it's highly likely it's something with the Nvidia drivers and a strange interaction with certain AIB's hardware that is causing this.
You can look at various forums and see that 3070 users are also getting the "black screen at idle + 100% fan" crash, and many of them are not eVGA owners, and almost all of them seem to be fixed by setting power management mode to prefer max performance (and then rebooting).

The fact that this is even happening means that something is causing the card to generate a critical fault and it's shutting down.
The fact that starting with 456.71, the number of 3080 and 3090 users that started also getting this type of crash completely exploded compared to drivers before.  On previous drivers, (456.98 and prior), usually only happened to multi-monitor users and certain panels.

So in the end, we don't know what's going on.  It could be some sort of component that is triggering a fault in eVGA cards (and possibly some others) but not in other cards, which only happen with certain drivers or driver settings.  Or of course I could just be full of hot air here.

I tried to search but I can't find any users with Founder's Edition cards (3090/3080) that have these random black screen+100% fan crashes.  (I don't know about 3070 or 3060 versions of these).
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 00:01:52 (permalink)
Intoxicus

Overcurrent protection could fail. Nothing is failure or defect proof.
It doesn't need or not need a boost converter to be defective and do something it's not supposed to.
That's kinda the definition of defective you do realize, that things don't operate as they should because of an inherent problem during manufacturing.
Stop assuming it came out of the factory perfect and like nothing can go wrong with it. **** happens, unexpected "impossible" **** happens, **** that should not happen does indeed happen.

I don't know how I can be clearer.  It's really aggravating.  The ONLY way the motherboard could provide "too much power" to the PCI-E slot is if the motherboard boosted the voltage to the video card.  It doesn't.  It can't.  It doesn't have a boost converter.  Thus it is impossible.

It is physically impossible for the motherboard to force too much power into the video card.  No defect could cause such a thing to happen.  The theory of electricity dictates that a simple conductor cannot force a load to draw more current.  If a conductor could force a load to draw more current, I think that we would have many very simple perpetual motion machines and infinite power. It cannot happen. It's not a question of "should not happen"; it's a simple fact of impossible to happen. It's a violation of the laws of physics. The current flowing in a circuit remains constant throughout the entire circuit. The current at the source is the same at the load, and is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance of the load. This is basic electricity stuff which you claim to know.

The video card is the load. The VIDEO CARD regulates how much power it draws from the PCI-E slot via the video card's power balancing circuitry. The video card is failing to balance power properly thus drawing too much power from the PCI-E slot. The conductor (motherboard) is unable to force the video card to draw too much power from the PCI-E slot. It is physically impossible no matter what theoretical defect you could imagine.

Overcurrent protection could fail. Nothing is failure or defect proof.

Certainly. But you are missing the point. The video card should not draw too much current in the first place. If the power balancing circuitry was working properly, it would be operating within the applicable standards.

One theory the OP had was that perhaps the motherboard IS cutting off power to the video card because the video card is drawing too much power from the PCI-E slot. That isn't a fault of the motherboard; that would indicate a fault with the video card. The video card power draw from the PCI-E slot has been measured at greater than allowed; to say that it is the motherboard's fault for theoretically shutting off power to the video card when the video card draws too much power, does not make any sense.

By accident you keep on confirming that the video card is the one with the issue, but somehow you don't realize it. Please take a basic electricity refresher before offering electrical advice.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/01/05 06:44:26

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 03:25:06 (permalink)
There are too many assumptions going on in here but than again, it happens every time on a new gen. 

EVGATech_AdamB said it best.  It's a small % and yes, we have seen very rare cases of bad GPUs one after the other but for the most part, majority are fine.

Check this thread here of working GPUs since online forums are usually places of troubleshooting when problems arise and not the usual place of positive reviews.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
krs360
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 04:25:04 (permalink)
Mine died to the red light of death last night at about 17:45pm (3090). The retailer is taking the card back for a refund as it's within 30 days of purchase.

I have a new EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming due from another retailer, hopefully tomorrow.

My first experience of EVGA cards is a sad one right now. It worries me that the only card left in stock was the very same card that just failed me. Hopefully it was a one off and all will be well with the new one.
pat182
  • Total Posts : 62
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 10:46:57 (permalink)
why arent they releasing a revision ? seems oblivious something is wrong
homestyle
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 228
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 13:10:25 (permalink)
Is EVGA sending new 3000 series cards as replacements?

If not, could it be that the cards are tuned to be sensitive to something and produce a blank screen and red light (to protect the card) when it doesn't like something and the cards are not broken but get reset by EVGA to stop some type of damage?
Then they get resent out.

These cards are new and if EVGA are sending out used cards then you have to wonder where they are getting this used stock.

Wierd that all the cards are failing in the same way and not failing with typical artifacts, or smoke, or burn marks. (yeah some people report smoke, but that is minority imo)
post edited by homestyle - 2021/01/05 13:14:06
richardgoncalves
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 14:17:31 (permalink)
homestyle

If not, could it be that the cards are tuned to be sensitive to something and produce a blank screen and red light (to protect the card) when it doesn't like something and the cards are not broken but get reset by EVGA to stop some type of damage?

These cards are new and if EVGA are sending out used cards then you have to wonder where they are getting this used stock.

Wierd that all the cards are failing in the same way and not failing with typical artifacts, or smoke, or burn marks. (yeah some people report smoke, but that is minority imo)

My replacement 3090 FTW3 Ultra was not new. It is working ... so that’s a plus; but again so did my original (for 5 weeks anyway)

Nothing wrong with a refurb; a lot of times whatever was going to break did and it’s been replaced with working components. Time will tell I guess.

The PCIE draw still peaks above 75w under load but it doesn’t stay there ... definitely a design flaw.

Would they RMA a card simply on that .. doubt it.

I don’t have the confidence I once had - I mean my 1080ti was, and still is, a bullet-proof workhorse.

These new 3080 and 3090 GPU seem brittle - though they don’t look it lol.
homestyle
Superclocked Member
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 14:29:03 (permalink)
richardgoncalves
homestyle

My replacement 3090 FTW3 Ultra was not new. It is working ... so that’s a plus; but again so did my original (for 5 weeks anyway)

Nothing wrong with a refurb; a lot of times whatever was going to break did and it’s been replaced with working components. Time will tell I guess.

The PCIE draw still peaks above 75w under load but it doesn’t stay there ... definitely a design flaw.

I don’t have the confidence I once had - I mean my 1080ti was, and still is, a bullet-proof workhorse.

Are you using 520w bios?

richardgoncalves
Superclocked Member
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 14:36:09 (permalink)
homestyle
richardgoncalves
homestyle

Are you using 520w bios?

Nope - original OC bios. Max power 107%

There’s a 520W bios? I didn’t even know that. I saw the 500W Beta bios; but didn’t bother with it since I saw so many posts about it not working.
homestyle
Superclocked Member
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 14:38:13 (permalink)
thought it was 520. my mistake
richardgoncalves
Superclocked Member
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 14:40:49 (permalink)
homestyle
thought it was 520. my mistake

It could be - I’m not sure. I wasn’t going to put a beta bios on an already sensitive GPU lol

My OC is light ... 100 core and 200 mem. I wouldn’t need 500w to drive that anyway.
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 14:45:30 (permalink)
richardgoncalves

There’s a 520W bios? I didn’t even know that. I saw the 500W Beta bios; but didn’t bother with it since I saw so many posts about it not working.

The 520W BIOS is the Kingpin BIOS
richardgoncalves
Superclocked Member
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/05 14:48:00 (permalink)
bavor
richardgoncalves

The 520W BIOS is the Kingpin BIOS

You can use this BIOS on a FTW3 Ultra without voiding warranty? And it works?
Gogod2020
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 272
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 02:45:44 (permalink)
Running my RMA card (brand new 3080 SN2012/China around 2000 numbers earliers than the one it replaced) and so far so good. Been monitoring GPUz in the background as well as event manager and I have the following observations:

1. Erratic behavior of the RMA'd card was there since the first time I installed it. Tons of critical errors at the event log, weird noise, 3rd fan wasn't working at first but started working later, the card was holding on in benches but with excruciating noise etc.
2. I downgraded my nvidia drivers to 457.71 (some say 457.98 hotfix works better for some games). So far so good in the following games:
WoW
Division 1
Division 2
GTA V
CoD Cold War
Forza Horizon 4
EuroTruck Sim 2
Cyberpunk 2077

Will keep you updated hopefully there won't be a problem down the line but I do think that if there is going to be a problem this will show right from the start. Hope this helps.

Intel Core 10700K, Z490 Aorus Elite AC v.1.0, GSkill 32GB 3000/CL14, EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair HX1200, Dell S2721DGF, DRP4, Be Quiet SW3 140mm pwm high speed x4, Be Quiet 500DX, Samsung NVME 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Samsung SATA 860 Evo 1TB
BaDBoY_uK
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 148
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 06:18:48 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
There are too many assumptions going on in here but than again, it happens every time on a new gen. 
EVGATech_AdamB said it best.  It's a small % and yes, we have seen very rare cases of bad GPUs one after the other but for the most part, majority are fine.
Check this thread here of working GPUs since online forums are usually places of troubleshooting when problems arise and not the usual place of positive reviews.

Your entire statement is an assumption I think? Where is your data? Also an EVGA employee stated something and you take it as fact? Ok
krs360
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 06:28:04 (permalink)
I mean it's quite clear that there is an issue with cards failing with the same issue. I was looking at the card when it died and I'm pretty sure there was some kind of electrical failure by one of the PCIE connection ports. It looked and sounded as if something popped/cracked. This forum isn't exactly large and we only see the small fraction of people RMAing cards for the RLOD.

I have another one arriving tomorrow and will update if I have any of the same issues
Kylearan
iCX Member
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 15:41:57 (permalink)
I posted this in two other threads, but you guys may want to look at this.

Looks like it's the Nvidia drivers (very likely combined with perhaps with some combination of a certain specific hardware component unique to eVGA--fuse /shunt or power balancing?) that is destroying your guys cards.

Take a look at this post.  Light load games crashing (but no 100%+screaming fans happening).

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1290615-3090-fe-instability-in-light-workloads/

I've mentioned this multiple times before but it seems like people simply don't take notice.
let's look at what we have here.

1) 6500C temp blips (started with the FIRST 457.xx driver.  456.98 hotfix did not have this problem).
2) some users reporting crashes with 457.xx series when they dropped.
3) 1080 Ti owners reporting extremely bad crashes, a few people reporting dead cards on the 457.xx branch.
4) Nvidia removing Adaptive and Optimal Power from Power Management mode, followed by a massive spike of people reporting idle black screen+100% "screaming" fan (meaning the fans are past the 100% manual speed) crashes.  This ALWAYS implies a critical core fault with either a critical temp or a core /current protection fault trip.
5) 3070/3070 Ti owners reporting tons of black screen +100% fan crashes browsing/youtube, since they can't use the older drivers with the original power management modes.

It's pretty blatantly clear that Nvidia's drivers are PARTIALLY to blame for this.  I hypothesize some interaction between the drivers and certain cards are killing components are causing fuses to blow.
compuclinic
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 15:57:53 (permalink)
Wow.. Thanks for posting.  I'm on my 2nd.   I suppose I'll push for refund if I end up getting another bad one myself!!  

2020 Pandemic build.
10900k @ 5.3 ghz All core  1.34v -(100 sp rating) 
Asus Maximus XII Formula -  EVGA RTX 3090 FTW   -  CORSAIR 1200i -  G.Skill Trident Royal z 4100 @cl15 -16-16-16 -  
2tb Corsair PCiE gen4,   1tb Samsung 960,   3x Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB 

Heatkiller Pro 4 -  Optimus XL Waterblock   EK 360 PE,  EK 360 XE, EK 480SE Radiators with a D5 pump.  

Samsung G9 Odyssey x2,  LG 34GK950F 144hz 1440p  and its 2560x1080 predecessor.    
Asus Chakram  -  Asus Strix Flare   -  
Sennheiser PC -350   Logitech Z906 5.1 
RGB to the max for the first time. 
compuclinic
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 16:23:28 (permalink)
Not to negate the issues w/ the cards but 100+ core + boost clocks could very well be the reason for instability lol.   Praying to god (even as someone with issues w/ this)  that people are not RMA'ing cards that won't do 100+ core PLUS boost clocks :D 

2020 Pandemic build.
10900k @ 5.3 ghz All core  1.34v -(100 sp rating) 
Asus Maximus XII Formula -  EVGA RTX 3090 FTW   -  CORSAIR 1200i -  G.Skill Trident Royal z 4100 @cl15 -16-16-16 -  
2tb Corsair PCiE gen4,   1tb Samsung 960,   3x Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB 

Heatkiller Pro 4 -  Optimus XL Waterblock   EK 360 PE,  EK 360 XE, EK 480SE Radiators with a D5 pump.  

Samsung G9 Odyssey x2,  LG 34GK950F 144hz 1440p  and its 2560x1080 predecessor.    
Asus Chakram  -  Asus Strix Flare   -  
Sennheiser PC -350   Logitech Z906 5.1 
RGB to the max for the first time. 
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 17:15:19 (permalink)
Kylearan

Looks like it's the Nvidia drivers (very likely combined with perhaps with some combination of a certain specific hardware component unique to eVGA--fuse /shunt or power balancing?) that is destroying your guys cards.

Take a look at this post.  Light load games crashing (but no 100%+screaming fans happening).

I've mentioned this multiple times before but it seems like people simply don't take notice.

1) 6500C temp blips (started with the FIRST 457.xx driver.  456.98 hotfix did not have this problem).
3) 1080 Ti owners reporting extremely bad crashes, a few people reporting dead cards on the 457.xx branch.
4) Nvidia removing Adaptive and Optimal Power from Power Management mode, followed by a massive spike of people reporting idle black screen+100% "screaming" fan (meaning the fans are past the 100% manual speed) crashes.  This ALWAYS implies a critical core fault with either a critical temp or a core /current protection fault trip.
5) 3070/3070 Ti owners reporting tons of black screen +100% fan crashes browsing/youtube, since they can't use the older drivers with the original power management modes.

It's pretty blatantly clear that Nvidia's drivers are PARTIALLY to blame for this.  I hypothesize some interaction between the drivers and certain cards are killing components are causing fuses to blow.

No, that's not it my friend. You found thread with few individuals that are dealing with faulty cards to begin with and them speculating just like you doing now. You have to remember that neither, drivers even if they are really bad or specific hardware in anyone’s system in combination will not kill your card, it’s the cards that have already faulty component that is bound to crap out

You have to remember that EVGA didn't upgraded anything from FE into their own cards , makes me wonder if they skimp out on something else.
In fact EVGA cards have serious load balancing issue and as simple as spike of power in which you can see even with card idling on desktop and a lot of them randomly  become doomed even when you not doing a thing.

Why you think everyone is still speculating rather than knowing already after so many cards going back and forth to EVGA and repeated customers and yet! Still happening and they can’t fix it.

Kylearan
iCX Member
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 17:24:17 (permalink)
AWK16
Kylearan

No, that's not it my friend. You found thread with few individuals that are dealing with faulty cards to begin with and them speculating just like you doing now. You have to remember that neither, drivers even if they are really bad or specific hardware in anyone’s system in combination will not kill your card, it’s the cards that have already faulty component that is bound to crap out

You have to remember that EVGA didn't upgraded anything from FE into their own cards , makes me wonder if they skimp out on something else.
In fact EVGA cards have serious load balancing issue and as simple as spike of power in which you can see even with card idling on desktop and a lot of them randomly  become doomed even when you not doing a thing.

Why you think everyone is still speculating rather than knowing already after so many cards going back and forth to EVGA and repeated customers and yet! Still happening and they can’t fix it.

Because that's how you solve problems.  Especially when neither you nor I are engineers who make motherboards or video cards.
You try to determine what is a common factor and try to look at trends, which is what I've been trying to do.
Keep in mind I'm trying to help the situation.  I don't own an eVGA card.  And to be real, frankly, it doesn't affect me one bit if they all go up in a nuclear chain of smoke.  But I'm still trying to contribute.  Yet despite your smoke bomb you just threw, you're still basically agreeing with me in the end.

It's also very rude to put words in someone's mouth.  I never claimed eVGA wasn't using a substandard part.  I intentionally tried to avoid calling eVGA out here, because that's nothing but toxic.  They may indeed be using a part not up to spec.  I do not know and neither do you.  What I CAN tell you is that when eVGA tries to determine what cards are blowing up, they don't just sit there playing some 5 year old game for 10 hours straight hoping the card blows up.  Companies have VERY expensive testing equipment that I doubt most users here can even afford to buy.  Oscilloscopes, probing devices, load testers calibrated to exact precision, in-line probes, various things to simulate and test output ranges and results.  And perhaps their tests are passing everything they're throwing at them.  BUT when you toss nvidia drivers into the mix, some interaction between the drivers and the cards are causing something to blow.  You conveniently refused to acknowledge this.

Why did you also refuse to acknowledge the 6500C temp blip?  Is that temp blip evga's fault or Nvidia's fault?  Since it happens on Founder's Editions and most/all other cards, it isn't evga's fault.  But it could very well BE THAT BLIP that is KILLING the cards and tripping something.  Don't you see now?  If people start using their head and put 2 and 2 together, we may be able to help eVGA determine exactly what is making the cards fail.
post edited by Kylearan - 2021/01/06 17:35:28
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 17:34:10 (permalink)
Kylearan
You try to determine what is a common factor and try to look at trends, which is what I've been trying to do.

The common factor is that the video cards are bad.  The video cards have a power balancing issue.  100% confirmed.  At least the ones which have power balancing issues, have power balancing issues.  It seems that some don't have power balancing issues.  So, likely, the issue is that EVGA designed the card to operate too close to the limit on the PCI-E slot, and then normal manufacturing and component tolerances are causing some to be too far out of spec.  All components have tolerances and it is quite evident that EVGA didn't properly take component tolerances into account.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/01/06 17:37:12

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

Kylearan
iCX Member
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 17:36:50 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Kylearan

The common factor is that the video cards are bad.

And water is wet and the sun is hot.  Tell me something I don't know.
What I'm trying to do is help determine WHAT is making the cards fail.  And I think that 6500C temp blip caused by bad Nvidia drivers is a good start to look at.  
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 17:38:03 (permalink)
Kylearan
ty_ger07
Kylearan

The common factor is that the video cards are bad.  The video cards have a power balancing issue.  100% confirmed.  At least the ones which have power balancing issues, have power balancing issues.  It seems that some don't have power balancing issues.  So, likely, the issue is that EVGA designed the card to operate too close to the limit on the PCI-E slot, and then normal manufacturing and component tolerances are causing some to be too far out of spec.  All components have tolerances and it is quite evident that EVGA didn't properly take component tolerances into account.

And water is wet and the sun is hot.  Tell me something I don't know.
What I'm trying to do is help determine WHAT is making the cards fail.

The cards are defective.  They have a power balancing issue.  It is a physical problem with the card itself.

There are 4 pages here.  You can catch up starting at page 1.
Kylearan
And I think that 6500C temp blip caused by bad Nvidia drivers is a good start to look at.

Negative. As AWK16 stated, the card should not physically break regardless of anything you proposed.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/01/06 18:38:10

FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/06 18:06:01 (permalink)
Kylearan
AWK16
Kylearan

Because that's how you solve problems.  Especially when neither you nor I are engineers who make motherboards or video cards.
Keep in mind I'm trying to help the situation.  I don't own an eVGA card.  And to be real, frankly, it doesn't affect me one bit if they all go up in a nuclear chain of smoke.  But I'm still trying to contribute.  Yet despite your smoke bomb you just threw, you're still basically agreeing with me in the end.

That's where you mistaking. You’re not helping or contributing by forwarding anyone to a thread where few guys speculating.

Let’s just say this issue which a lot of people have been dealing with since the launch day, look around here and how many months has been! Yah, how many driver revisions has been released since! Yet, this is persistent issue, but why there is only few of MSI or ASUS customers that have this ongoing issue compare to EVGA and FE which is huge ratio and Asus sold just as many cards is EVGA all over the world, mostly Europe.

Once again, how are you exactly helping anyone by repeating  someone else’s theory and while you doing that you drifting away from much bigger issue that again, we all should know by now.

Sorry It might sound rude, but you are either naive or ignorant
post edited by AWK16 - 2021/01/06 18:11:55
Gogod2020
iCX Member
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/07 05:27:28 (permalink)
Kylearan

I am currently on my RMA'd card with 457.71 drivers (Nvidia showing its 457.38) and it looks fine. No strange readings whatsoever. I did have ALL the described problems mentioned with my previous card. Somehow I think its entirely unrelated to nvidia power settings. The GPU should just work out of the box and not have to be tweaked for electricity settings in pcie slot etc.

Intel Core 10700K, Z490 Aorus Elite AC v.1.0, GSkill 32GB 3000/CL14, EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair HX1200, Dell S2721DGF, DRP4, Be Quiet SW3 140mm pwm high speed x4, Be Quiet 500DX, Samsung NVME 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Samsung SATA 860 Evo 1TB
ProCM
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/07 07:40:21 (permalink)
Just food for thought - I have the 3090 FTW3 Ultra and had crashes and black screen issues constantly.  Every game would cause bsod's, constant black screens that would eventually lead back to the desktop or just system lockups that forced a reboot.  I was about to RMA the card when I decided to just say, "screw it" and purchased an overkill 1600W PSU.  All of the issues went away and I've had zero issues since then.  The old PSU (not even old) was a 1000W EVGA P2.  I'd been using that PSU for 2 years with my 1080TI FTW3 without a single issue and it still works today in another PC with that 1080TI.  I speculated at the time that the 3090 FTW3 Ultra has some power reliability issues (maybe power spikes), but I'm not an electrical engineer.  Maybe picking up an overkill PSU to test with and then return is something to try? 
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/07 07:48:39 (permalink)
BaDBoY_uK
GTXJackBauer

Your entire statement is an assumption I think? Where is your data? Also an EVGA employee stated something and you take it as fact? Ok

Yes, I have been here long enough on many launches to see how many complaints show up in the forums.  It's not as big as people make it seem while EVGA sells thousands.  There are ways to see how much stock one retailer has of one SKU but I'm not sharing that info with you.

Take a back seat, thx.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Gogod2020
iCX Member
Re: Three defective EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards so far. How do I get one that works? 2021/01/07 08:57:13 (permalink)
ProCM
Just food for thought - I have the 3090 FTW3 Ultra and had crashes and black screen issues constantly. Maybe picking up an overkill PSU to test with and then return is something to try? 

I am in favor of overkill PSU but again my first card failed out of the box with a brand new HX1200 which is way past what my rig needs.

Very happy this worked for you and absolutely do tell people to go 850W +++ for 3070/380/3090 and NO daisy chains just to be on the safe side.

I will agree with the latter poster though that in a problem solving forum it’s only natural to see... problems. I am sure that the vast majority of cards is working beautifully and as intended.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile