Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2021/06/05 05:02:42 (permalink)
Okay, eBay recently kicked taking payments to your PayPal account to the curb and now eBay manages your payment. Now here is where the issue is and I think has to be illegal. When you sell an item, eBay collects tax on the item for the state the buyer lives in. The problem is eBay is charging the seller 12.55% on the collected taxes. When the money went to PayPal, eBay only sent PayPal the money the person paid for the item and kept the tax, although at that time eBay was still taking 10% of the collected tax out of your sell. So sellers are getting charged for eBay taking care of taxes the buyer owes, not the seller.

eBay has gotten worse and worse. They take a cut of the shipping fees now (shipping isn't free and eBay is making the shipping cost worse), you no longer get eBay bucks on purchases unless it's on a special, they kicked PayPal out and are now taking a 12.55% cut of the money collected, including the collected tax. eBay is making a killing here.

Example. I sold an item for $2,000 and eBay tacked on the tax of $205 and made me pay 12.55% on that $205 the buyer owes, not me.

Why is a seller getting charged for eBay taking care of the buyers tax burden and how is that legal? I'm ready to get with my State legislators about this, it has to be illegal. This is so wrong.

81 Replies Related Threads

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 06:17:10 (permalink)
    I only do ebay if I can't find what I need any place else.   And I never sell.  Too many crooked people out there for a sale to go wrong.

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    jnmoen77
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 109
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 07:01:24 (permalink)
    I buy and sell saxophone equipment and have completely given up on Ebay. All protections are heavily favored for the buyer, and there's too many scammers as stated above. And then you factor in all the fees you're mentioning - the whole thing is a nightmare. I don't understand why anyone is using it. I've moved my music sales to Reverb - a website which is for musician and audio equipment sales - which also has heavy fees, but nothing nearly as bad and seems more fair for both parties. Is there a similar sales site for second hand tech?

Cybersecurity, Saxophone, Video Games

GingerPopper
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 153
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 07:05:15 (permalink)
    Yeah ebay isn't the best for a whole lot of things. Maybe you should look into some other alternatives for the future, but I don't have enough experience to recommend you any that I have personally used, but from what I know many similar sites are being created so at least 1 has to be a hit eventuaally.
    Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8328
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 07:26:29 (permalink)
    I normally sell here in the "For Sale or Trade" section or Heatware Marketplace.  I had a terrible experience with eBay some years ago and they wouldn't support me...so I removed my account. 

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

tjzevga
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 07:52:36 (permalink)
    I rarely bought anything from eBay except I could not find the item some where else. Not a good experience in eBay.
    Dukman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1478
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 08:21:34 (permalink)
    I purchase quite a bit from eBay and was considering selling some items there.   Now?  Maybe not.

Heatware

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 09:24:35 (permalink)
    I agree with all of you, but not everything I sell is PC related so on the forums here is out.

However, what eBay is doing on the taxes collected has to be illegal.
    Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 09:28:17 (permalink)
    kram36: Are they listing that as a service fee, usage charge, whatnot, or that you are actually paying the state tax for the buyer?  Either way it would be akin to walking into a store, purchasing an item, and then tell the store to pay your sales tax.  You wouldn't get too far.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 10:12:59 (permalink)
    Flint 1760
    kram36: Are they listing that as a service fee, usage charge, whatnot, or that you are actually paying the state tax for the buyer?  Either way it would be akin to walking into a store, purchasing an item, and then tell the store to pay your sales tax.  You wouldn't get too far.

No man, you're not following.

Example:

Item cost $2,000, eBay collects the tax from the buyer to pay that buyers state tax which equals $205. So the total is $2,205 and eBay charges me 12.55% fee on the $2,205. Now I am not responsible for that buyers responsibility of paying their taxes, but I'm getting charged a 12.55% fee on it. It has to be illegal, even eBay charging a fee on your shipping cost should be illegal, but that tax deal though.

When I was getting paid directly to PayPal, eBay only sent me what I was paid for the item and kept the collected tax money and sent it to that buyer's state. So I wasn't paying PayPal a fee on the taxes, now that eBay will no longer let you use PayPal as a way to get paid, eBay's fees went from 10% to 12.55% and now they are including the buyer's taxes in the fee.
    post edited by kram36 - 2021/06/05 10:14:02
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 10:18:57 (permalink)
    kram36
    Flint 1760

No man, you're not following.

Example:

Item cost $2,000, eBay collects the tax from the buyer to pay that buyers state tax which equals $205. So the total is $2,205 and eBay charges me 12.55% fee on the $2,205. Now I am not responsible for that buyers responsibility of paying their taxes, but I'm getting charged a 12.55% fee on it. It has to be illegal, even eBay charging a fee on your shipping cost should be illegal, but that tax deal though.

When I was getting paid directly to PayPal, eBay only sent me what I was paid for the item and kept the collected tax money and sent it to that buyer's state. So I wasn't paying PayPal a fee on the taxes, now that eBay will no longer let you use PayPal as a way to get paid, eBay's fees went from 10% to 12.55% and now they are including the buyer's taxes in the fee.

Must be something new. Ebay not using paypal is a sign of ebay being a crookville city for people to do bad practices. PayPal protects you from this.
    Im glad im not using ebay anymore. Such as hustle just to get or sale an item.
    I would research more about if i was you.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 10:22:59 (permalink)
    atfrico
    Must be something new. Ebay not using paypal is a sign of ebay being a crookville city for people to do bad practices. PayPal protects you from this.

Oh trust me I did dude. I'll called them and gave them an ear full of what I thought and they just emailed me a link to make a formal complaint.

I think I can take this issue to my State legislators. It can't be legal.
    Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 10:39:00 (permalink)
    Got it, thank you for clarifying. 

When they made the change away from PayPal and raised their percentage, I wouldn't doubt that this was planned and they used their earlier spinoff of PayPal into a separate public company as a strategic move to totally control transaction fees.

I have not used Ebay in twenty years, once was enough after getting burned. 

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 10:44:02 (permalink)
    kram36
    atfrico

Oh trust me I did dude. I'll called them and gave them an ear full of what I thought and they just emailed me a link to make a formal complaint.

You can do that if a good number of users complaint...but if you have that pull go for it.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 11:10:15 (permalink)
    atfrico
    kram36
    atfrico

You can do that if a good number of users complaint...but if you have that pull go for it.

My State isn't even in the list of States eBay is required to collect taxes for. So I would imagine my State wouldn't be to thrilled about eBay charging me a fee for taxes the buyer is responsible for paying.
    ZubinSingh
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 11:24:46 (permalink)
    Yeah I'm not too big of fan of Ebay either, it's too risky in terms of unreliable sellers, scams and falsely advertised products. I've had a couple of bad experiences with their customer support as well, and with this on top of that, Ebay just isn't a good option
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 11:25:25 (permalink)
    what are the eBay terms, you as a seller agreed to .... (link please)

I agree with you, that the Sale price + sales tax = "eBay total" & eBay fees base on that number seems wrong

Thanks for the heads-up I did not know eBay made those big changes

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 12:07:32 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    what are the eBay terms, you as a seller agreed to .... (link please)

I agree with you, that the Sale price + sales tax = "eBay total" & eBay fees base on that number seems wrong

Thanks for the heads-up I did not know eBay made those big changes

eBay wouldn't allow me to list my item until I gave them my bank account information for them to send my money to. I have no idea if there was any agreement to this as it just took me to a page to put my bank account info into.

That brings up another issue. Sold four items on the 4th and eBay says the money should be available on the 7th (as long as there are no other issues). With PayPal that money was in my PayPal account instantly and I have a PayPal debit card so I could use that money instantly or send it to my bank account and PayPal would have it in my bank account the next day for free.

Oh and another issue, paying for shipping. When the money was sent to PayPal, I could use my PayPal balance to pay the shipping cost. Now since eBay is managing the money, you have to front the shipping cost and eBay requires you to provide a way to pay them for the shipping cost, if you want to use them to print the shipping label. They won't even deduct it from the money you got paid for the item.

jpender14
    • Total Posts : 100
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 21:02:37 (permalink)
    kram36
    Okay, eBay recently kicked taking payments to your PayPal account to the curb and now eBay manages your payment. Now here is where the issue is and I think has to be illegal. When you sell an item, eBay collects tax on the item for the state the buyer lives in. The problem is eBay is charging the seller 12.55% on the collected taxes. When the money went to PayPal, eBay only sent PayPal the money the person paid for the item and kept the tax, although at that time eBay was still taking 10% of the collected tax out of your sell. So sellers are getting charged for eBay taking care of taxes the buyer owes, not the seller.

eBay has gotten worse and worse. They take a cut of the shipping fees now (shipping isn't free and eBay is making the shipping cost worse), you no longer get eBay bucks on purchases unless it's on a special, they kicked PayPal out and are now taking a 12.55% cut of the money collected, including the collected tax. eBay is making a killing here.

Example. I sold an item for $2,000 and eBay tacked on the tax of $205 and made me pay 12.55% on that $205 the buyer owes, not me.

Why is a seller getting charged for eBay taking care of the buyers tax burden and how is that legal? I'm ready to get with my State legislators about this, it has to be illegal. This is so wrong.

Yeah they’re model is flawed for sure because this increases prices. I prefer to deal on Facebook marketplace tbh. I just look in various other cities and ask if they ship.
    jon_so8
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 102
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/05 22:13:59 (permalink)
    honestly I'm fine with that, paypal is convenient but they have crap customer service

Zulhardy
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/06 05:53:28 (permalink)
    eBay should disallow listings of any newly launched products at 2 or 3 times the price. I remember when eBay was a place where ppl sold their used items. Sigh...
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/06 07:23:50 (permalink)
    jpender14
    kram36

Yeah they’re model is flawed for sure because this increases prices. I prefer to deal on Facebook marketplace tbh. I just look in various other cities and ask if they ship.

I'm talking about being a seller, not a buyer and I don't use FB anymore, nobody should. And what the heck does your post have to do with charging fees to the seller on taking care of the buyer's tax burden and how it should be illegal?

jon_so8
    honestly I'm fine with that, paypal is convenient but they have crap customer service

Actually PayPal has great customer service. You're fine with paying a fee on someone else's tax burden? It should be illegal.

Zulhardy
    eBay should disallow listings of any newly launched products at 2 or 3 times the price. I remember when eBay was a place where ppl sold their used items. Sigh...

Oh jeezus, I just made a tread on how greedy eBay is and you think eBay is going to stop people from making them more money. And what the heck does your post have to do with charging fees to the seller on taking care of the buyer's tax burden and how it should be illegal?
    post edited by kram36 - 2021/06/06 07:48:19
    EyeDeeNo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 670
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/06 08:17:17 (permalink)
    Yes sir, since eBay has started managing the money themselves, I have delisted my items to see where this new change is going. Also have not bought anything as well.

Lenovo 710-25ISH IdeaCentre with an Intel Core i5-6400 ~ Win10 Home 64-Bit 21H2
    Lenovo 3642 Motherboard Intel H170 Chipset ~ BIOS FWKTA7A 11/7/2019
    FSP Group FSP250-30AGBAA 250w 80 Plus Bronze
    EVGA 04G-P4-6251-KR GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming VBIOS 86.07.22.00.50 ~ Precision XOC 6.0.9 ~ Game Ready 516.59
    G.SKILL F4-2400C15Q-4GNT Value DDR4 4x4GB Kit
    Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 MX500 SSD 1TB Firmware M3CR043 (Sabrent BK-PCBS) + Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 Barracuda HDD 2TB
    Pioneer BDR-209UBK Blu-ray Burner ~ Firmware 1.54 10/7/2020
    AOC E2475SWQE 23.6'' 1ms TN 1080p 60Hz Monitor via Athena CLH-DP0612MM28 DP + Samsung UN32J5500AF 31.5'' TV via Belkin F8V3311B15 HDMI
    Creative GigaWorks
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/06 09:04:44 (permalink)
    EyeDeeNo
    Yes sir, since eBay has started managing the money themselves, I have delisted my items to see where this new change is going. Also have not bought anything as well.

It's horrendous for the seller now. When the payment went to PayPal, my money was there for me to use instantly and I could use that money to ship the item. Now you have to front the shipping cost as eBay won't let you use the money from the sale to pay for the shipping.

My money is still not in my hands yet. 2 items will be delivered tomorrow on Monday, the day eBay may have my money available, but will it be in my bank account? The other 2 items will be delivered on Tuesday.

Here is showing where they charged me the fee on the taxes collected that the buyer owes, not me. I should not be paying a fee on that. Has to be illegal.

post edited by kram36 - 2021/06/06 09:06:22
    steven-1979
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 185
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/06 09:16:00 (permalink)
    ^ Am I the only one who quickly scanned his screenshot to see if he was scalping anything?
    Abbarsto
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/06 15:30:08 (permalink)
    Sell locally to trusted users on OfferUp, or whatever your preferred classifieds app is.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/07 11:10:28 (permalink)
    Selling on eBay just blows now. All 4 items are showing out for delivery for today and eBay is saying my Payout will happen tomorrow. But when will the money actually be in my bank account? The buyers are going to get the items before I even get my money.

Roxysims
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/07 13:05:46 (permalink)
    That's terrible. Best alternative to eBay for a seller?
    jimsta2k
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/07 15:04:11 (permalink)
    I noticed that as well...ebay charges fees on the entire amount, including taxes.... i don't know if its illegal, wonder if they can say it's a fee to cover paying your taxes for you? Gov't may not care so much then.... since someone is collecting and paying taxes to them. 
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: This has got to be Illegal 2021/06/07 15:14:55 (permalink)
    jimsta2k
    I noticed that as well...ebay charges fees on the entire amount, including taxes.... i don't know if its illegal, wonder if they can say it's a fee to cover paying your taxes for you? Gov't may not care so much then.... since someone is collecting and paying taxes to them. 

Except they are not paying the taxes for me, it's the buyer that owes the tax. So I'm getting charged for eBay to take care of the buyers tax obligation.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile