EVGA

Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2022/05/27 23:58:28 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/295334/thermal-grizzly-announces-contact-frame-for-intel-alder-lake-promises-to-reduce-temperatures-by-up-to-10

Thermal Grizzly has developed a new Contact Frame designed specifically to fix bending issues present with Intel's latest 12th Gen, Alder Lake CPUs. Developed in partnership with overclocking extraordinaire Der8auer, the new Contact Frame promises to lower operating temperatures on Intel's Alder Lake. According to the company, this improvement is achieved by fixing that platform's independent loading mechanism (ILM), which has been proven to slightly deflect the integrated heatspreader (IHS), reducing its heat transfer capability.

As tested by Igor's Lab, the new contact frame for LGA 1700 reduced the operating temperature of Intel's Core i9-12900K by as much as 10.19 °C - from 70.48 °C without the Contact Frame and towards 60.29 °C after it was installed. The CPU was configured to run popular stress test Prime95, with Small FFT at a fixed 5 GHz frequency on its P-cores. The processor's E-cores were deactivated so as not to compromise the results, while the memory subsystem was run at DDR5-7000. Thermal Grizzly's Contact Frame isn't the only product in this category, and the company is introducing their product at €39.90 for the German and European markets (~$36 ). Enthusiasts have likely spent more in cooling upgrades that delivered a lesser final operating temperature result.

The price might seem high, but if want to reduce your temps this might be a good solution. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

102 Replies Related Threads

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/28 02:20:49 (permalink)
    Is going from 70.48°C to 60.29°C going to give you any performance increase? The CPU isn't thermal throttling at 70.48°C.
    lastsamurairick
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2419
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/28 03:38:27 (permalink)
    Hope this helps lots 12 Gen Intel users. 10.19*C that significant drop in Temps

Intel 10900k @ 3.7 Stock
      EVGA Z490 Dark 
      EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3070Ti FTW3
      G SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL 32GB
      EVGA 1000G5
    ObscureEmpyre
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 972
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/28 10:41:29 (permalink)
    kram36
    Is going from 70.48°C to 60.29°C going to give you any performance increase? The CPU isn't thermal throttling at 70.48°C.

Maybe not a performance gain, but I’d take a 10° shave off temps. Could prevent my room from getting hot so quickly, and possibly give my room fan and HVAC system an opportunity to keep up with venting heat out of the room.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/28 13:03:28 (permalink)
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36

Maybe not a performance gain, but I’d take a 10° shave off temps. Could prevent my room from getting hot so quickly, and possibly give my room fan and HVAC system an opportunity to keep up with venting heat out of the room.

This does not decrease the amount of heat your CPU is putting out. It's just getting extracted better from your CPU and is still putting the same amount of heat into your room. So you would be heating up your room more quickly.
    ObscureEmpyre
    SSC Member
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/28 13:23:09 (permalink)
    kram36
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36

This does not decrease the amount of heat your CPU is putting out. It's just getting extracted better from your CPU and is still putting the same amount of heat into your room. So you would be heating up your room more quickly.

That would be why I said what I said about my room not getting hot as quickly, giving my fan and HVAC a better opportunity to deal with it.

Miguell
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1112
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/28 15:59:40 (permalink)
    i don't have Hvac system..i wish!! its an apartment and the building management does not allow AC's  ( you will se none on the outside of the building)
    my GF has asma so a indoors portable AC is not the solution! i don't want her sick!

and is getting hotter! 
    JUNE is knocking on the door and my living room temps in MAY reach almost 30ºC  this is gonna be a hellish Summer!

and like KRAM36 said.. this is just "transferring" in a more efficient  way the heat from the CPU to our environment...
    and i do use their thermal grizzly kryonaut paste on my gpu and CPU....

at least i have a fan tower to "help"
    post edited by Miguell - 2022/05/28 16:02:15

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830
    Display: 32" AOC Q3279VWFD8 @2560x1440@75Hz
    Cpu: Intel Core i7-8700
    Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML120L - RGB
    Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
    Vga: Asus Dual RTX 4060 Ti 16GB Advanced Edition
    Ram: 32GB DDR4  G.SKILL - RIPJAWS V @3200Mhz
    Sound: Hama uRage soundZbar 2.1 Unleashed  - (Optical)
    Storage: 500GB SSD M.2 A2000  NVMe  Kingston (OS) + 8TB (4+4) HDD X300 Toshiba (Data)
    Psu: SeaSonic M12 700W
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/28 16:45:33 (permalink)
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36

That would be why I said what I said about my room not getting hot as quickly, giving my fan and HVAC a better opportunity to deal with it.

What did you not understand in my post? Your room will heat up quicker. This will dump the heat from the CPU into your room quicker because of the better heat transferring this device offers.
    ObscureEmpyre
    SSC Member
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/28 17:07:34 (permalink)
    kram36
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36

What did you not understand in my post? Your room will heat up quicker. This will dump the heat from the CPU into your room quicker because of the better heat transferring this device offers.

Less heat inside the case that leaks out and/or gets pushed out via the case exhaust fans. It’s still going to reach a point of saturation, but there wouldn’t be as much heat waste inside the case to bleed out.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/28 18:31:29 (permalink)

Mixed reviews from what I can see - works for some, does nothing for others. From what I am reading, tests from Der8auer showed it varied somewhat from CPU to CPU on the same motherboard, and I'm also seeing some discussion that it depends on the motherboard pcb and how flexible it is (the thinner the pcb, the more flexible it is, and the more likely you may be impacted by the bending issue). The EVGA Z690 boards use 10 layer pcb, so the bending issue is less likely to be a problem, but ymmv.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/28 20:33:35 (permalink)
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36

Less heat inside the case that leaks out and/or gets pushed out via the case exhaust fans. It’s still going to reach a point of saturation, but there wouldn’t be as much heat waste inside the case to bleed out.

There is not less heat, it's supposedly (after Nereus's comment) going to help pull the heat away from the CPU better. You're still getting the same amount of heat dump into your case/room or whatever you want to come up with next.
    donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 10:42:31 (permalink)
    I have the  Thermalright one, and it does work my lid was bowed pretty bad over the course of the past 4 months, idles were 40-50c per core, load gaming 80-90c, Benching was the danger zone over 100c when the bow got really bad....
    Here is my PC after about two days of the correction bracket on. PC had been on for 12hrs, with 4-6hrs of gaming GW2/CP 2077 followed by some benches Prime95, 3 runs of 3Dmark Spy with my glass case panels off. Temps raise a little bit with the glass on think the lid is still correcting, if it ever fully corrects it fully no clue. My turbo is pretty much at a steady 5-5.2ghz not forcing it.

Also going to add for whatever reason my vcore does not fly up to an insane levels constantly during the worst of the lid bowing with this correction bracket on. Also since my EK Elite’s plate is now touching most of the surface area of the cpu it’s not constantly dumping mass amounts of really hot air into my office. I can leave my phone on top of my case and it stays cool to the touch and does not lock due to over heating like when I first upgraded to this system in January. So it will affect the ambient rooms in the room since your pc is no longer a heat dump and pump as the heat is not building up and has a place to go. So the cpu is not hitting the 80-100c constantly. As you can see on my temps over 12hrs with 4-6hrs+ of that gaming and benching below.

tempslow2.jpg (3440×1440) (discordapp.com)
    post edited by donta1979 - 2022/05/29 10:54:08

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 10:52:51 (permalink)
    donta1979
    I have the  Thermalright one, and it does work my lid was bowed pretty bad over the course of the past 4 months, idles were 40-50c per core, load gaming 80-90c, Benching was the danger zone over 100c when the bow got really bad....
    Here is my PC after about two days of the correction bracket on. PC had been on for 12hrs, with 4-6hrs of gaming GW2/CP 2077 followed by some benches Prime95, 3 runs of 3Dmark Spy with my glass case panels off. Temps raise a little bit with the glass on think the lid is still correcting, if it ever fully corrects it fully no clue. My turbo is pretty much at a steady 5-5.2ghz not forcing it.

Also going to add for whatever reason my vcore does not fly up to an insane levels constantly during the worst of the lid bowing with this correction bracket on.

It's interesting to consider the fact that the bowing problem happened over 4 months. The impact over time is something that should be considered when reading reviews or hearing people talk about it when they have a new system out of the box. It might not show much improvement day one but after a few months maybe the bracket would make a difference. 

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 10:57:32 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    donta1979

Also going to add for whatever reason my vcore does not fly up to an insane levels constantly during the worst of the lid bowing with this correction bracket on.

It's interesting to consider the fact that the bowing problem happened over 4 months. The impact over time is something that should be considered when reading reviews or hearing people talk about it when they have a new system out of the box. It might not show much improvement day one but after a few months maybe the bracket would make a difference. 

It happens the second you put the cpu in, never saw the 30c range on any core gaming in CP 2077 even 4 months ago I thought the 40c range cores hit was amazing. Just over time the with the pressure to the lid the bow gets worse and worse… if you have to take the cooler off and the cpu out for any reason the cpu bow and higher temps start to get worse at an accelerated rate… when it starts to get really bad like in my case vcore was a constant 1.38-1.46v… my board was even ignoring the settings I put in on voltages and would pump them up past what I set them to…

This video shows the bow as soon as you lock the cpu in with the Intel mounting bracket. Just over time the bow gets worse and worse. You are 100% correct reviewers don’t do a come back and look they go through hardware like socks and consumers just go by the initial temps. Then over time goes by see the problems that come up due to something like this.

https://youtu.be/isoIuSUGm7s
    post edited by donta1979 - 2022/05/29 11:28:45

Heatware   

My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 14:07:34 (permalink)

Can't find the Thermal Grizzly contact frames in stock anywhere. Plenty of the Thermalright ones though, and possibly a lot of counterfeits from the look of it..

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 15:29:49 (permalink)
    Nereus

Can't find the Thermal Grizzly contact frames in stock anywhere. Plenty of the Thermalright ones though, and possibly a lot of counterfeits from the look of it..

Only place some of my friends have seen them was in the EU and they sold out fast think it was on their UK Amazon. My buddy in the UK has had his i9 12900k for the past 2-3 months and his is starting to bow, temps just started to rise… he had to get a Thermalright correction bracket from Aliexpress as well. Believe a Chinese vendor is also selling them here in the USA on Newegg.

Right now though the thermal grizzly one is nowhere to be seen. It took a month or so to be able to buy the Thermalright one on Aliexpress. Someone shared a link for another site shortly after the launch in Asia but you had to be careful. Like some of the vendors on the site they shared charge 100-200 shipping…it’s why I waited for them to show up on Aliexpress.
    post edited by donta1979 - 2022/05/29 16:03:02

Heatware   

My Build
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 18:41:53 (permalink)
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36
    ObscureEmpyre
    kram36

Let's think about this. If you use this device with the same cooler and same fan, it is supposed to lower the CPU temperature. What does that mean? This thing is supposedly able to get the heat from the CPU into the heatsink faster. What does that mean? It will heat up your room faster.
    Heat waste? What? Waste is the heat the CPU created. You are moving that heat into your room faster. How does that make your room cooler?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 19:15:21 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

Let's think about this. If you use this device with the same cooler and same fan, it is supposed to lower the CPU temperature. What does that mean? This thing is supposedly able to get the heat from the CPU into the heatsink faster. What does that mean? It will heat up your room faster.
    Heat waste? What? Waste is the heat the CPU created. You are moving that heat into your room faster. How does that make your room cooler?

Easy answer if the heat does not have a full plate to transfer heat, well the cpu kind of becomes a heat dump, first the case fills up with hotter air, your boost clocks even on your gpu get lower, the gpu will heat up more dumping more heat into the radiator than already is being done, then the CPU has it has become a heat pump dump, the places it is transferring the heat is two points a tiny bit of the top of the cpu and the bottom, with the majority of the center lid having a big bow in it. As a result, it's a lot hotter so temps say from the overly heated cpu without a lot of places to go two small points, well the room/office will heat up since hotter temps are now being pushed out in mass. Even the radiator instead of sucking in cooler air is being blasted with hotter air. All that heat builds up and has to go somewhere as everything heats up more as a result.

Before the major bowing of my lid for example, I could place my cell phone on top of my pc, and even during gaming/benching to full load the phone would remain cool to the touch and not turn off with an overheating message. My office was a lot cooler as the hot air gets sucked out though an exhaust vent and it was not so much or so hot it could not suck it out fast enough. Fast forward about 4 months of the five months of owning the 12th gen I9, major bowing idle temps of CPU were at 50c, gaming temps 80-90c range, Benching to a few select more demanding games temps went well over 100c. My turbo clocks lowered on the cpu, my boost clocks on the GPU started to rise, my office got hotter if I put my phone on top of my case it would get so hot it would go into overheating mode. 

If you efficiently move the heat properly on the cpu by correcting the lid, temps will drop as the heat is once again getting moved fast enough, the heat dump/pump effect do not happen of it building up. 

That is what they are getting at, with the cpu lid majorly bowed my office probably like them got a bit uncomfortable too much heat was being pumped up and due to not enough heat getting out fast enough things got a lot hotter than they should have like my office normally sat at 74-77f before the lid bow, during the worst of the lid bow I was in 8X-90f temps in my office... now they are back down to 74-77f after the lid correction bracket installation after a few days. Possibly I am guessing happening to them too thus their post and comments to this whole argument over what they said. What they said does make sense when you look at exactly what is happening.

post edited by donta1979 - 2022/05/29 19:34:05

Heatware   

My Build
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 19:58:18 (permalink)
    donta1979
    ty_ger07

Easy answer if the heat does not have a full plate to transfer heat, well the cpu kind of becomes a heat dump, first the case fills up with hotter air, your boost clocks even on your gpu get lower, the gpu will heat up more dumping more heat into the radiator than already is being done, then the CPU has it has become a heat pump dump, the places it is transferring the heat is two points a tiny bit of the top of the cpu and the bottom, with the majority of the center lid having a big bow in it. As a result, it's a lot hotter so temps say from the overly heated cpu without a lot of places to go two small points, well the room/office will heat up since hotter temps are now being pushed out in mass. Even the radiator instead of sucking in cooler air is being blasted with hotter air. All that heat builds up and has to go somewhere as everything heats up more as a result.

From the perspective of the room: BZZT WRONG!
    Think of this: if the CPU's heat was being blasted out "in mass", why is the CPU so hot? You can't push a bunch of heat out and have a hotter CPU. If you try to push a bunch of heat out, with bad CPU contact, the heatsink will cool off right away.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/05/29 20:11:10

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 20:00:13 (permalink)
    The US has a serious STEM problem.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 20:08:09 (permalink)

Let it go.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 20:11:37 (permalink)
    Let it go.

donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 21:03:23 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

Think of this: if the CPU's heat was being blasted out "in mass", why is the CPU so hot? You can't push a bunch of heat out and have a hotter CPU. If you try to push a bunch of heat out, with bad CPU contact, the heatsink will cool off right away.

Not if it has at least two points of minimal contact more heat is built up on the cpu temps get hotter those higher temps are still being transfered to the heatsink of the cooler just not fast enough, no point of contact at all you are correct. That is not the case. Ambient temps do not raise magically on their own in a room without a higher temp heat source pumping into the room raising temps over 10 to almost 20f. Then magically go down once a bracket is placed on the cpu. 

Next if you want to throw insults come talk to me when you retire at 40, hold a bachelor and master's in computer science alone. Then you can talk to me about my lack of higher education and how much smarter than you are than me if you want to be snooty.

Heatware   

My Build
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 21:44:08 (permalink)
    donta1979
    ty_ger07

Not if it has at least two points of minimal contact more heat is built up on the cpu temps get hotter those higher temps are still being transfered to the heatsink of the cooler just not fast enough, no point of contact at all you are correct. That is not the case. Ambient temps do not raise magically on their own in a room without a higher temp heat source pumping into the room raising temps over 10 to almost 20f. Then magically go down once a bracket is placed on the cpu. 

Next if you want to throw insults come talk to me when you retire at 40, hold a bachelor and master's in computer science alone. Then you can talk to me about my lack of higher education and how much smarter than you are than me if you want to be snooty.

I have no idea how this device caused your voltages to go down (maybe better contact with the CPU socket pins, you did a bios update that fixed the CPU voltages at the same time?) but there is where your heat loss went.

Also ty_ger07 is correct, with a smaller contact patch of the CPU heatsink actually on the CPU, the heatsink will stay cooler. What do you think this device is for? It's do give the heatsink a better contact patch to the CPU cooler on the CPU and pull the heat away from the CPU more efficiently and the cooler will be running hotter.

You can stop with the bachelor and master's in computer science high and mighty bs, this is all just basic physics that any decently educated computer person should understand.
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/29 22:28:29 (permalink)
    kram36

I have no idea how this device caused your voltages to go down (maybe better contact with the CPU socket pins, you did a bios update that fixed the CPU voltages at the same time?) but there is where your heat loss went.

Also ty_ger07 is correct, with a smaller contact patch of the CPU heatsink actually on the CPU, the heatsink will stay cooler. What do you think this device is for? It's do give the heatsink a better contact patch to the CPU cooler on the CPU and pull the heat away from the CPU more efficiently and the cooler will be running hotter.

You can stop with the bachelor and master's in computer science high and mighty bs, this is all just basic physics that any decently educated computer person should understand.

Yeah its been odd on voltages I honestly think it was due to the mass amount of pressure of the mounting hardware over the last four months causing some fun I had very little contact to the AIO by the end of it just enough to transfer the heat on two sides but not enough to get it off fast enough and it was extremely hot, so hot with the air it wash pushing out it kept my room 10-20 degrees hotter than the rest of the house, almost like I was outside. Even my 2 air ducts connected into the main AC duct I installed and the exhaust port intake in my office to suck out the hot air did nothing. It would cause my phone go to into overheating mode on top of the pc. Whereas before the bow got bad or was an issue I could leave my phone on top of my pc charging and it would stay cold to the touch.

Yes on it being basic physics yet my degrees covered a lot more than that, how many people actually use that to make it into the AAA Video game industry as a developer? Start a small studio and sell it to Microsoft? Though all of that to retire at 40 years old in just over a decade? Not many. If someone is going to insult me and use a lack of STEM in the USA, science, technology, engineering and mathematics being someone who is educated in those areas with my background I'm going to say something. If they are not on my level or even a quarter of it well maybe put foot in mouth. So its far from BS with my accomplishments alone also not too many people knock out two degrees in two years, graduate at the top of their class, and have a job waiting for them the day they graduate in the AAA industry they didn't have to even apply for. The AAA studio came to me asking if I would work for them. So yes I am going not going to put up with someone thinking they are smarter than me when apparently they are not. Basically calling me stupid without actually saying/typing it.
    That part of the conversation is done.
    post edited by donta1979 - 2022/05/29 22:46:57

Heatware   

My Build
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/30 05:44:35 (permalink)
    donta1979
    Ambient temps do not raise magically on their own in a room without a higher temp heat source pumping into the room raising temps over 10 to almost 20f. Then magically go down once a bracket is placed on the cpu.

Watts consumed by the CPU is heat. If you do the same task, the CPU produces the same amount of heat (within margin of error), regardless of how good or bad the heatsink contact is.
    The only reason the room is hotter or cooler is because either 1) you are experiencing what you expected to experience (placebo) or 2) some other reason.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/30 06:07:25 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    donta1979
    Ambient temps do not raise magically on their own in a room without a higher temp heat source pumping into the room raising temps over 10 to almost 20f. Then magically go down once a bracket is placed on the cpu.

Watts consumed by the CPU is heat. If you do the same task, the CPU produces the same amount of heat (within margin of error), regardless of how good or bad the heatsink contact is.
    The only reason the room is hotter or cooler is because either 1) you are experiencing what you expected to experience (placebo) or 2) some other reason.

He claims this device caused his voltages to go from 1.46v to 1.27v, that is where he lost the heat being created and dumped into his room.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/30 08:07:03 (permalink)
    kram36
    ty_ger07
    donta1979

He claims this device caused his voltages to go from 1.46v to 1.27v, that is where he lost the heat being created and dumped into his room.

That would do it.
    Not because the CPU is hotter. Because the CPU is creating more heat.

firerain
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 288
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/31 05:56:20 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    The US has a serious STEM problem.

Just wow, sometimes it feels like you are talking to a wall.

Pc0 Legion pre built / 3090Fe / 10900k
    Pc1 8700k /2x EVGA 3080 TI / EVGA Z375 micro
    Pc2 EVGA x99 micro / E5 2678 v3 / 3080 / EVGA 3060, EVGA 1660 ti
    Pc3 EVGA x99 micro / E5 2620 v3 / EVGA 3080, 1650
    Pc4 HP pre built AMD R5 3500 / 2060 ko
    yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Thermal Grizzly Announces Contact Frame For Intel Alder Lake, Promises to Reduce Temps 2022/05/31 12:31:22 (permalink)
    austin86

the bigger problem is folks thinking they need to buy this, the folks that can't find washers and buy them online or better yet the folks that try to measure a 1mm washer and realize its not exactly 1mm...
    Just remove the socket cover and bolt the heatsink down evenly, its not going to move around inside the socket without the cover, other parts will brake before the CPU slips inside the socket.

I don't believe this is the best idea.  Washer mods were being tested 4 months back, and while they helped improved temps, the newer CPU holder that holds down all edges of the CPU seem to perform much better.   The issue stems from bowing out on the corners of the cpu which simply bolting down the CPU won't solve.  The bowing is gradual from what I hear so you would have thermal paste gaps over time.

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile