EVGA

The tech industry is bracing for a potential shortage of passive electronic components

Author
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 45
2021/10/15 12:36:51 (permalink)
TechSpot - The tech industry is bracing for a potential shortage of passive electronic components

“The tech supply chain is still coping with the perfect storm of factors that has led to jammed up ports and severe bottlenecks in the flow of raw materials and components needed to build products with electronics inside. Production slowdowns in China and other Asian countries due to energy restrictions and Covid-related lockdowns are already impacting suppliers of passive electronic components and chips, but some are hopeful about their ability to navigate the coming months without any major disruption.

By now it’s no secret the tech supply chain is experiencing the cascading effects of material, component, and shipping container shortages, as well as increased energy prices, Covid-related factory lockdowns, rapid shifts in environmental policies, unrelenting demand for electronics and semiconductors, the rapid digitalization of companies and public institutions around the world, and a slew of other factors.

The chip shortage has been a lot more prominent in the news over the past year, but other essential components have also been in short supply. Passive electronic components like resistors, capacitors, and inductors were already a bit hard to come by in late 2020, and the situation could get worse towards the end of this year.

Back in December, Walsin Technology reopened its manufacturing plant in Malaysia after several disruptions related to lockdowns in the region. However, just one month later, a fire hit Taiwanese’s multilayer ceramic capacitor (MLCC) factory in Dongguan, China, raising concerns around the supply of MLCCs and chip resistors.

By April, those fears had mostly been put to rest. Large passive component suppliers like Yageo, Walsin Technology, Chilisin Electronics, ABC Taiwan Electronics, and Tai-Tech Advanced Electronics were optimistic about their ability to supply passive components for their clients in the second and third quarters, with capacity utilization sitting at around 80 to 90 percent.

Fast forward to August, and renewed lockdowns in Asia were yet again threatening production of passive components. Last month, the effects of the summer restrictions came into focus as Japanese suppliers of aluminum capacitors were forced to operate at a greatly reduced capacity and lead times skyrocketed to more than six months.

Towards the end of September, China implemented an energy crunch that forced several suppliers for tech giants like Apple, Tesla, and Qualcomm to reduce or even halt production. As we enter the fourth quarter, Taiwanese companies are concerned about these disruptions, and the most optimistic among them expect to, at most, maintain the current level of production throughout the rest of the year.

For instance, Yageo believes it will be able to satisfy demand for MLCCs from automakers and other industrial clients, as its factories are located outside of the areas in China that have been subjected to power cuts. At the same time, Walsin’s progress on building a new plant in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, is well underway, which is going to aid the supply of MLCCs and chip resistors in the coming months. This is good news for automakers in particular, which have been the hardest hit industry so far.

However, China’s aggressive power cuts still have the potential to create problems, as we’ve seen with the massively reduced output of high-purity silicon from the region. This has sent prices through the roof compared to just a year or even a month ago, and the same happened for rare earth metals and other raw materials like copper, tin, aluminum, and cobalt, which are used for chip packaging, mounting and connecting electronic components on printed circuit boards, and more.

Some suppliers will be able to take a hit on their profit margins, but most will feel compelled to hoard components and raise prices, which in turn could lead to higher retail prices for all electronics as soon as next year. Coupled with an acute shortage of skilled workers, this could have ripple effects on several industries. The cherry on top is a shipping crisis that will make this year’s holiday shopping season a nightmare for people who don’t plan ahead or are unwilling to consider locally-produced goods.”

My thoughts:  This article sums up the cascading effects of all the shortages.  Shortages will continue and prices are going to continue to rise for everything.  So, we might as well be prepared when new GPUs/CPUs are released.

The last sentence may be worth heeding as it is going to be a problem for all retailers.

7 Replies Related Threads

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: The tech industry is bracing for a potential shortage of passive electronic components 2021/10/15 12:55:09 (permalink)
    Yeah, if you thought last holiday season was different, this one will be the one everyone remembers as the “Empty Shelf, not Elf, Season.”

yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: The tech industry is bracing for a potential shortage of passive electronic components 2021/10/15 13:10:53 (permalink)
    Gotta bring MFG back to the US...  problems just compounding on top of other problems, bottlenecks, etc.

Cost of shipping containers from Asia are up 4x rn.

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: The tech industry is bracing for a potential shortage of passive electronic components 2021/10/15 13:29:27 (permalink)
    (excerpt from OP post)
    "Some suppliers will be able to take a hit on their profit margins, but most will feel compelled to hoard components and raise prices, which in turn could lead to higher retail prices for all electronics as soon as next year."

the answer for this first world problem of I have to have it NOW!  = Boycott, if the US consumer would just cutback on nonessential purchases for 60 - 90 days ... the message of ---> this is BS and we refuse to accept it - would be heard loud & clear

World & US Consumption is not at pre-pandemic levels  - no reason other than price gouging ... are there issues? Sure, but Most if Not all are man made

look how long it took the West Coast Ports to go to (back to?) 24/7 operations ... OMG what Genius thought of that after Months of delays

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: The tech industry is bracing for a potential shortage of passive electronic components 2021/10/15 13:30:32 (permalink)
    yaymz
    Gotta bring MFG back to the US...  problems just compounding on top of other problems, bottlenecks, etc.

Unfortunately, this has been a problem that was about 40 years in the making.  Although that answer is correct, it is not an immediate nor an easy thing to now unwind.  I am not even sure if comeback if we have the factory workers to do the tasks.  Companies have transferred this power in search of more profits.  This will take a portion of those profits earned and I am unsure if the shareholders see it as you do.  The dysfunction that this has created is also a source of increased revenue, which shareholders really like.

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: The tech industry is bracing for a potential shortage of passive electronic components 2021/10/15 13:32:45 (permalink)
    I wonder how many components are in the hundreds of ships waiting to unload.  This could create an oversupply that will in effect swing the prices back to consumers.  The goods stacked up there will have an impact when they are released into the economy even if it after the holiday.

yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: The tech industry is bracing for a potential shortage of passive electronic components 2021/10/15 13:48:32 (permalink)
    Grey_Beard
    yaymz

Unfortunately, this has been a problem that was about 40 years in the making.  Although that answer is correct, it is not an immediate nor an easy thing to now unwind.  I am not even sure if comeback if we have the factory workers to do the tasks.  Companies have transferred this power in search of more profits.  This will take a portion of those profits earned and I am unsure if the shareholders see it as you do.  The dysfunction that this has created is also a source of increased revenue, which shareholders really like.

Yea I agree here.  I know they are trying to put down a silicone plant in AZ, but at best case that would be 5 years before a single chip is pumped out.  Definitely won't happen overnight.

Grey_Beard
    I wonder how many components are in the hundreds of ships waiting to unload.  This could create an oversupply that will in effect swing the prices back to consumers.  The goods stacked up there will have an impact when they are released into the economy even if it after the holiday.

Thought about this as well.  Begs the question on if we will see some crazy "After Holidays Sales" say in... March??  Retailers will need to offload this inventory by some means.

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: The tech industry is bracing for a potential shortage of passive electronic components 2021/10/15 14:51:05 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    (excerpt from OP post)
    "Some suppliers will be able to take a hit on their profit margins, but most will feel compelled to hoard components and raise prices, which in turn could lead to higher retail prices for all electronics as soon as next year."

the answer for this first world problem of I have to have it NOW!  = Boycott, if the US consumer would just cutback on nonessential purchases for 60 - 90 days ... the message of ---> this is BS and we refuse to accept it - would be heard loud & clear

World & US Consumption is not at pre-pandemic levels  - no reason other than price gouging ... are there issues? Sure, but Most if Not all are man made

look how long it took the West Coast Ports to go to (back to?) 24/7 operations ... OMG what Genius thought of that after Months of delays

yaymz

Thought about this as well.  Begs the question on if we will see some crazy "After Holidays Sales" say in... March??  Retailers will need to offload this inventory by some means.

We have heard the manufacturers say they are producing at near 100% capacity, but the supply is still dry. The scalpers irritate me, but they are a product of the vessels yet to unload more so than anything else. I too get irritated with our immediate gratification society, but I have to admit that my household inventory for items has increased somewhat, so I am contributing to this too, just not $2,000 GPUs or other large items.  Once the ports get this stuff unloaded, it will be a different story.  Could take until next June, given that you also need to get the products unloaded to the stores or houses by tractor trailer, but I feel the tsunami is there, it’s just we cannot see it since it has eclipsed the sun. 

This might turn into the best time to even build a computer as the technology most paid 150% or more for is now readily available for 75% of retail.  We can hope that our patience will be rewarded.
    post edited by Grey_Beard - 2021/10/15 14:53:26

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile