The People's Bank of China Made All Crypto-Related Transactions Illegal

Author
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 45
2021/09/24 12:17:54 (permalink)
Tom’s Hardware - The People's Bank of China Made All Crypto-Related Transactions Illegal

“Financial institutions can no longer have any involvement with Bitcoin, Ether, and other cryptocurrencies

China has finally expanded its crypto-crackdown outside the mining industry. The People's Bank of China (PBOC) today declared that all transactions involving virtual currencies—with one major exception that we'll discuss in a little bit—are illegal.

The PBOC said when it issued new crypto-related rules in June that ‘virtual currency trading speculation activities disrupt the normal economic and financial order, breed the risk of illegal and criminal activities such as illegal cross-border asset transfer and money laundering, and seriously infringe on the property safety of the people.’

However, much of the Chinese government's attention went to cryptocurrency mining operations, which have been outlawed in provinces throughout the country. But now it seems the PBOC is finishing what it started three months ago, with the regulator issuing an extensive statement that reads in part:

‘Virtual currency does not have the same legal status as legal currency. Virtual currencies such as Bitcoin, Ether, and [Tether] have the main characteristics of being issued by non-monetary authorities, using encryption technology and distributed accounts or similar technologies, and exist in digital form. They are not legal and should not and cannot be used as currency in the market.’

It also said that ‘virtual currency-related business activities are illegal financial activities,’ that ‘the provision of services by overseas virtual currency exchanges to Chinese residents through the Internet is also an illegal financial activity,’ and that ‘there are legal risks involved in virtual currency investment transactions.’

The statement also repeatedly mentions the PBOC's intention to collaborate with other Chinese regulators and law enforcement agencies to ‘severely crack down’ on illegal activities, financial and otherwise, related to virtual currencies. It also wants to restrict access to online information regarding the use of those currencies.

But it's worth noting that not every virtual currency will be affected by the PBOC's new restrictions. There is one major exception: the digital yuan known as e-CNY. These new restrictions mean e-CNY won't have any true competition, whether it's from cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin or stablecoins like Tether, within China.

Promoting the state-backed virtual currency hasn't been the official motivation for cracking down on cryptocurrencies, of course. Instead, China's leaders have repeatedly said that environmental concerns led them to shut down mining operations and, in the PBOC's case, that cryptocurrencies undermine the country's financial structure.”

My thoughts:  This should not be a surprise to anyone.  The first crackdown was a warning, now the only legal cryptocurrency is the e-CNY.

Another excerpt about this:

“Researchers recently estimated that China accounts for more than 75% of Bitcoin's hashing power or calculations, fueled by China's access to hardware and cheap power. The Wall Street Journal noted that the mining is bolstered by hydropower centers in Sichuan and Yunnan as well as coal from Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia.”  (Source:  zdnet - chinese-government-declares-all-cryptocurrency-transactions-illegal/

8 Replies Related Threads

sing120
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: The People's Bank of China Made All Crypto-Related Transactions Illegal 2021/09/24 13:20:55 (permalink)
    china has banned all the platform that can trade crypto
    crypto is no longer uptrend in the market
    it is so crazy
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: The People's Bank of China Made All Crypto-Related Transactions Illegal 2021/09/24 14:14:58 (permalink)
    This should remove a lot of GPU demand in China for mining rigs. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: The People's Bank of China Made All Crypto-Related Transactions Illegal 2021/09/24 16:29:38 (permalink)

good

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: The People's Bank of China Made All Crypto-Related Transactions Illegal 2021/09/24 17:11:15 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    This should remove a lot of GPU demand in China for mining rigs. 

You still have the industrial level mining sites in Vietnam, Canada, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, etc., as well as smaller players around the world.  So, there is till a lot of demand out there for ASIC and GPUs.

But with the PRC miners out of the picture, it can only help.

z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: The People's Bank of China Made All Crypto-Related Transactions Illegal 2021/09/24 20:35:26 (permalink)
    I do wonder how much of a crypto black market will start to appear there, or how many resources will be used to enforce that law.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: The People's Bank of China Made All Crypto-Related Transactions Illegal 2021/09/24 21:51:40 (permalink)
    z999z3mystorys
    I do wonder how much of a crypto black market will start to appear there, or how many resources will be used to enforce that law.

China does have a lot of control over internet access. I am sure they could find miners with very little effort if they wanted to and they should be able to track the money made. As for other countries I am sure that mining will exist but you take our China and the value will drop a lot.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2021/09/24 21:54:44

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: The People's Bank of China Made All Crypto-Related Transactions Illegal 2021/09/25 00:15:48 (permalink)
    I'm sure China will monitor energy consumption and go after individuals and companies who are taking more power than they should.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: The People's Bank of China Made All Crypto-Related Transactions Illegal 2021/09/25 03:45:48 (permalink)
    z999z3mystorys

Probably not much as the penalties would not be conducive to good health.  They have all the resources they need to enforce this.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile