EVGA

The Keystone- a Magnetic Analog Mechanical Keyboard with AI-enabled Adaptive Typing

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/07/16 09:02:41 (permalink)
https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/295033-new-analog-keyboard-switches-promise-lifespan-of-1-billion-presses

The Input Club Keystone Mechanical Keyboard is an unparalleled leap forward in typing and gaming technology. It will launch on Kickstarter on July 16th, 2019 at 8 AM PST. This project is the future of mechanical keyboards. We believe that there is more to the main tool everyone uses for work, playing games, and connecting with others. Input Club is a group of engineers and designers who drive innovation in the field of input devices. The team formed in 2014 because there was very little innovation in the keyboard space. Our team has developed special mechanical keyswitches, open source keyboard firmware, and some of the more iconic keyboard designs to hit the marketplace. The Keystone is the next technological lead forward for keyboards - it is our flagship keyboard showcasing the best and most sought after features in a keyboard.

Interesting to see how this turns out. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

9 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: The Keystone- a Magnetic Analog Mechanical Keyboard with AI-enabled Adaptive Typing 2019/07/19 19:03:25 (permalink)

1 billion presses. Hard to say how many times we all hit our keys. Anyways, the KB looks ok.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: The Keystone- a Magnetic Analog Mechanical Keyboard with AI-enabled Adaptive Typing 2019/07/19 19:20:54 (permalink)
    The Open Source software, ability to modify the keyboard behavior via firmware flash and no longer require the use of software to remember the behavior change, and AI-enabled adaptive typing are features which actually make me interested in this keyboard compared to the other keyboards already announced with the same type of switches. Those other keyboards only seemed to market features which seemed pointless to me.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: The Keystone- a Magnetic Analog Mechanical Keyboard with AI-enabled Adaptive Typing 2019/07/19 20:50:49 (permalink)
    'AI-enabled adaptive typing' sounds like a built-in keylogger to me. 

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: The Keystone- a Magnetic Analog Mechanical Keyboard with AI-enabled Adaptive Typing 2019/07/19 21:09:05 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer

Well, it is supposedly Open Source, so that concern should easily be disproved.  According to the marketing, the AI-enabled adaptive typing is supposed to adjust the switch activation keystroke length based on your typing habits; a feature which actually makes the design of the switches have some worth.  The previous marketing for functionality of the unique switch design, provided by other vendors, seemed pointless to me.  This marketing actually seems to provide a worthwhile use for the unique key switch design in addition to simple longevity.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: The Keystone- a Magnetic Analog Mechanical Keyboard with AI-enabled Adaptive Typing 2019/07/19 23:00:27 (permalink)
    XrayMan

1 billion presses. Hard to say how many times we all hit our keys. Anyways, the KB looks ok.

It's hard to say but people are still using IBM Model F keyboards from the 80's which have a cult fallowing. Lexmark spun off of IBM and continued to make the Model F and added USB support before selling the left over parts to a third party which still makes the Model F but it's not got the quality it once had. On my Z10 I am more worried about having to replace the key caps as the letters wear out then having to buy a new keyboard because I have worn out a switch. Odds are also I will replace the Z10 after a few years just because of dirt buildup but I don't think it will have any problems with the switches.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: The Keystone- a Magnetic Analog Mechanical Keyboard with AI-enabled Adaptive Typing 2019/07/20 06:46:14 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer

Na, it's just buzzword adoption of mobile predictive typing. Donno why this requires a hardware buy. This could be pure software and have wider adoption rate. IMHO, bad core concept to tie this to some random keyboard hardware supplier.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/07/20 06:54:53
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: The Keystone- a Magnetic Analog Mechanical Keyboard with AI-enabled Adaptive Typing 2019/07/20 06:57:07 (permalink)
    Kickstarter ---> I'd wait for actual product & users to reviews

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: The Keystone- a Magnetic Analog Mechanical Keyboard with AI-enabled Adaptive Typing 2019/07/20 09:15:20 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    GTXJackBauer

Na, it's just buzzword adoption of mobile predictive typing. Donno why this requires a hardware buy. This could be pure software and have wider adoption rate. IMHO, bad core concept to tie this to some random keyboard hardware supplier.

No, software could not be used to produce the result being marketed.  The hardware requirement is for use of switches with analog signals which change in amplitude depending on the distance that the key is pressed.  Standard switches do not provide the computer with analog deflection data.

I am quite sure that the product will live and die by whether or not the software delivers.

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: The Keystone- a Magnetic Analog Mechanical Keyboard with AI-enabled Adaptive Typing 2019/07/20 11:46:33 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Kickstarter ---> I'd wait for actual product & users to reviews

I have to agree. Most of the time I would avoid kickstarter but have backed some stuff that has been done by a company seeing if community interest existed. As for the product itself I am wondering about how the spring feels for a keypress. Mechanical keyboards normally have the pressure release at the activation point sometimes even with the "clicky" sound. With a spring your not going to get that same feel. I know they have an option to click but I would want a review to see how that works with the AI. What I wouldn't want is to have a mechanical keyboard that feels like your typing on a membrane mesh laptop keyboard. People like mechanical because of the feel of typing on it not that it will last 50 million presses for each key before they wear out.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile