Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/09/27 23:59:53 (permalink)
https://gamerant.com/gaming-hardware-supply-chain-shortage/

Technology is an ever-evolving industry due to the many innovations that developers find each and every day. As part of that, new, powerful processors and more are produced by companies like Nvidia, AMD, and Intel in order to keep up with the advances to everyday products. Due to COVID-19, many lockdowns have hindered supply chains that create the hardware like Nvidia's GPUs necessary for devices such as high-end gaming computers. Unfortunately, reports are coming in that say that with the coronavirus variants going around, the issues with production are only getting worse.
The supply issues happening with Nvidia and AMD have been known for some time, with how the CEO of Nvidia has said shortages might persist into 2023. The cause is that the supply chains have been hit with mandates in order to either limit production to meet COVID-19 regulations or have had to halt production altogether. These issues with production have hurt almost every major industry around the world, but now the short supply of hardware is about to affect almost every tech consumer imaginable.

According to a report by PC Gamer, on top of the silicon shortage hardware manufacturers like Nvidia have had to work with, most aluminum manufacturers have yet to be restored to full functionality after COVID-19 lockdowns. While silicon had already hurt most graphics card production, aluminum is used for things such as resistors, coils, and capacitors. While those may sound like minor pieces to a motherboard or graphics card, the presence of them is needed for most hardware to function, which means more products can't be made.

While the well for these parts isn't exactly dry, the wait time for manufacturers to get their hands on them has skyrocketed. That's resulted in a bottleneck when it comes to production in regards to demand. Unfortunately, while this means that GPU shortages will continue, it also leads to a potential problem beyond just gaming PCs in that these capacitors are needed in almost every modern tech device available. That means the shortage can affect things from car electronics to even smartphone production.
It's troubling to think about the things consumers use in their daily lives not being readily available due to production shortages, but the reality may come sooner than anyone could have ever predicted. Where the issues on the supply line used to lead to the potential of products like the Rumored AMD RX 6600 release being delayed, now the situation is growing into the worst possibility imaginable, and fast.

Potential buyers should note that these production line issues with companies like Nvidia won't be truly felt for a fair while, and once the production line catches up, could actually lead to an oversupply of products in 2023 to meet old demand. For now, gamers should stay mindful and careful when it comes to their hardware, as there may be a chance what they have now won't be replaceable in the near or far future.

In my opinion the short term effects means that shortages will continue. This will have an effect upon any electronics made this year. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

10 Replies Related Threads

mouse53
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 159
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: The Gaming Hardware Supply Chain is Facing Yet Another Shortage 2021/09/28 07:46:10 (permalink)
    It would look like the Covid thing is being capitalized on to make more profit, but that is just an opinion.  People are back to work and materials for manufacture were not in short supply until now.  It will always be something, plus Bitcoin isn't blameless. We can only helplessly watch as this unfolds. One would think those that depend on us being able to have the hardware to play and work in the computer industry would be mindful of their futures.
    CausticEd
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re: The Gaming Hardware Supply Chain is Facing Yet Another Shortage 2021/09/28 09:09:51 (permalink)
    you are always such a beacon of good news
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: The Gaming Hardware Supply Chain is Facing Yet Another Shortage 2021/09/28 10:30:56 (permalink)
    ...and 5 - 10 years or so from now , we'll be reading about the anti-trust lawsuit on these companies due to conspiring to artificially inflate costs using made up reasons.... 
    ...And the cycle repeats  ....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    nomoss
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1559
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: The Gaming Hardware Supply Chain is Facing Yet Another Shortage 2021/09/28 12:25:10 (permalink)
    Wow the conspiracy theories.

Ask Ford how hard it is to get aluminum and tell me again that it's all "made up"

Associates code:  9OYA1P1FRHQ3SGN
    Imgur    modsrigs:  Chemical X   RedWing   Utonium   TY for the +1s! 

cneuhauser
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1334
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: The Gaming Hardware Supply Chain is Facing Yet Another Shortage 2021/09/28 12:27:16 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    ...and 5 - 10 years or so from now , we'll be reading about the anti-trust lawsuit on these companies due to conspiring to artificially inflate costs using made up reasons.... 
    ...And the cycle repeats  ....

I need to buy you a drink one of these years... always right on point!

I think there's more going on here than the pandemic slowing production. Consumer confidence is low, one of the largest unemployment rates in history has been recorded, and people aren't buying like they used to. Furthermore, no one was buying ANYTHING during the strict lock downs across the globe; but food, clothing, and other essentials have been in good supply.

I wouldn't have thought much of it if the shortage in electronic components would have gone on for 6 months or so, but we're a year or more down the line. Saying that production will be slowed thru 2023 is absolutely horse sh*p. I don't see a shortage in light bulbs, batteries, or other simple electronic devices. The fact of matter is that "humans" have very little to do when manufacturing circuit boards/wafers etc., it's all done by machine.

Yeah... not believing it!

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
    ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
    i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
    GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
    2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
    Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
    Windows 10 Ultimate  
    EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
    Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
    Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
    B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
    cneuhauser
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1334
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: The Gaming Hardware Supply Chain is Facing Yet Another Shortage 2021/09/28 12:33:07 (permalink)
    nomoss
    Wow the conspiracy theories.

Ask Ford how hard it is to get aluminum and tell me again that it's all "made up"

Ford's sons are complete morons (see Detroit Lions), also see their production run of the Focus RS (wrong headgasket dude, because Han's and Fran's were putting square pegs in round holes). Furthermore Ford was facing shortages in WWI and WWII due to the those respective war efforts. Also, Ford has pulled way back on compact cars, and is devoting its efforts to their truck production models. If you mean to tell me that ford is struggling to meet it's production demands because of aluminum, I think you're full of BS.

The shutdowns for the pandemic lasted about 6 months; and most of the very strict guidelines were far less than that amount of time.

Anyone seen Blood Diamond?

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
    ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
    i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
    GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
    2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
    Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
    Windows 10 Ultimate  
    EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
    Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
    Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
    B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
    evga1081
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: The Gaming Hardware Supply Chain is Facing Yet Another Shortage 2021/09/28 13:50:50 (permalink)
    Steve is spot on. Too much technological advancement that is utilized to draw as much out of consumers as possible, all the while those same advancements not making their way into consumer protection environments.
    mouse53
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 159
    Re: The Gaming Hardware Supply Chain is Facing Yet Another Shortage 2021/09/28 17:49:16 (permalink)
    I never said conspiracy, but you are welcome. The stress they cause us though all this crap is bad enough,  but thinking we are too stupid to figure what they are doing is a bit much. We only have what the media tells us for information. It sucks whatever you think is going on. Greed.
    JuanPotato
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: The Gaming Hardware Supply Chain is Facing Yet Another Shortage 2021/09/28 20:22:30 (permalink)
    Just when I was thinking about buying a new car and pc.
    Ghaschke
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: The Gaming Hardware Supply Chain is Facing Yet Another Shortage 2021/09/30 08:54:35 (permalink)
    hahah yes! so true 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile