The End of MP3

Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2017/05/15 22:17:55 (permalink)

Apparently the MP3 is officially DEAD.   ...which is a little concerning since I have a heap of mp3 files...

So here's the story [source]

The MP3 — the digital file format accused of nearly killing the commercial music industry at the last century’s end — is effectively dead.

The Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits, a German institution credited with creating the MP3, recently announced the termination of its licensing program for related patents, essentially abandoning its oversight role with respect to the once controversial music format.

Despite being the de facto digital audio format for the better part of two decades, the director of the Fraunhofer Institute told NPR that the MP3 has since been usurped by Advanced Audio Coding or AAC, the MP3’s designated successor.

Compared with its predecessor, AAC is “more efficient than MP3 and offers a lot more functionality,” Fraunhofer director and MP3 co-creator Bernhard Grill told NPR this week.

“Most state-of-the-art media services such as streaming or TV and radio broadcasting use modern ISO-MPEG codecs such as the AAC family or in the future, MPEG-H,” Mr. Grill said. “Those can deliver more features and a higher audio quality at much lower bitrates compared to MP3.”

The MP3 format was considered a game-changer 20 years ago on account of allowing digital audio to be greatly compressed without causing a significant loss in sound quality. Aided by the increasing availability at the time of high-speed internet connections and the plummeting costs of data storage, the format gained popularity near the end of the 1990s as websites and file-sharing applications such as Napster enabled the wide-scale distribution of digital audio.

The file format was largely demonized by the decade’s end, however, after record labels and musicians alike raised piracy concerns and warned the MP3 would be the music industry’s end.

While the MP3 didn’t immediately disappear in line with the music industry’s wishes, Mr. Grill said AAC has since become the “de facto standard for music download and videos on mobile phones,” NPR reported.

Indeed, digital downloads generated $1.84 billion in retail music sales during 2016 while physical sales totaled $1.67 billion, the Recording Industry Association of America said in a March report. Currently, however, neither downloads nor physical media is making bank for the nation’s record labels: streaming services, rather, accounted for more revenue last year than digital downloads, compact disc and vinyl sales combined, Billboard reported.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

8 Replies Related Threads

charlesshaughnessy
    • Total Posts : 94
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: The End of MP3 2017/05/22 03:35:12 (permalink)
    Very interesting, I don't have any AAC files except stuff I download straight from my phone - so that's probably the culprit right there. If I had a choice, there are way superior sounding formats out these days, and it would be great to kill off AAC and MP3 sooner rather than later.
    somethingc00l
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 752
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: The End of MP3 2017/05/22 17:13:55 (permalink)
    Haha I love the way the media is spinning this story. What REALLY happened is the last patent on MP3 related tech in the US expired on April 16 2017: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing.2C_ownership_and_legislation

So legally, they can't license it anymore, as it is totally free to use now for anyone, no licensing fees required. If anything this will increase the use of MP3. Media trying hard to get everyone back on a patent encumbered format is hilarious to me. I'll stick with MP3.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18915
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: The End of MP3 2017/05/22 18:45:33 (permalink)
    somethingc00l
    Haha I love the way the media is spinning this story. What REALLY happened is the last patent on MP3 related tech in the US expired on April 16 2017: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing.2C_ownership_and_legislation

So legally, they can't license it anymore, as it is totally free to use now for anyone, no licensing fees required. If anything this will increase the use of MP3. Media trying hard to get everyone back on a patent encumbered format is hilarious to me. I'll stick with MP3.

Ahhhhh ok now that sounds about right from the most corrupt partisan press ever in the US.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11071
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: The End of MP3 2017/05/24 00:54:59 (permalink)
    Nereus
    somethingc00l

Ahhhhh ok now that sounds about right from the most corrupt partisan press ever in the US.

I will be using MP3 for a while.
    I have hours and hours of music and it is so nice to put it on a thumb drive and pop it into the cars head unit.
    Still sounds good to me.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10098
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: The End of MP3 2017/05/24 07:22:31 (permalink)
    Kind of off topic but I guess the guy who originally registered the domain MP3 did it because his user name for his website was his first and last name then a number so he registered it. Later he sold it for $500 to a guy who made it into a major site that sold for $15 million. Talk about not knowing you where sitting on a goldmine.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: The End of MP3 2017/06/12 21:45:26 (permalink)

MP3 will still be around for awhile.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    anarchy998
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3051
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: The End of MP3 2017/06/13 01:12:33 (permalink)
    Still using mp3, especially on my pc using a Xonar Essence STX 2 card with upgraded op-amps and custom codecs with a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's, sounds amazing.

i9 12900k
    Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 64gb
    WD Black SN850 1tb NVME
    Corsair 7000D Airflow
    EVGA 1200 P3 psu
    EVGA Nu Audio Pro
    Corsair H150i 360 Elite Capellix

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: The End of MP3 2017/06/13 01:52:00 (permalink)
    bill1024
    Nereus
    somethingc00l

I will be using MP3 for a while.
    I have hours and hours of music and it is so nice to put it on a thumb drive and pop it into the cars head unit.
    Still sounds good to me.

+1... me too. Try popping a burned disc with AAC or others into a cd player from years ago, like the Sony in my truck that converts a tape player, and all I get is bad disc.... bad disc..... bad disc, lol.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile