Helpful ReplyTerrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card

Author
thedoor
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/01/09 14:57:51 (permalink)
Hi folks,

I've read a bunch of other threads but can't seem to find a solution that works for me. In my case, my Nu Audio card creates a tremendous amount of noise through the speakers whenever the GPU is doing anything. So if the desktop is completely idle, there's no noise I can hear at all. If I browse, scrolling in particular can create noise. And if you start up anything in the background (a gpu benchmark, for example), the noise is very distracting and a terrible experience for something that I thought was a premium sound card. It is far, far worse than my onboard sound (granted on an old, but very premium motherboard), and unfortunately I am past the return period since EVGA only gives 14 days.

Any tips? So far I have tried:
- Messing around with all of the settings in the app (I usually have all the stuff turned off, like Surround, Noise Cancellation etc).
- Trying every single sample rate.
- Making sure the power connector for the card is on it's own cable.
- Changing PCIe slots.

I don't think it is PSU related, as load on the CPU for example (which can easily eat 250W, more than my EVGA 1070) does not create any noise.

Is there any way to, I don't know, shield the card?

Thanks!
Fed
jfw06013
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 586
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Terrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card 2021/01/09 17:06:26 (permalink)
I have no problems with my Nu Audio card and crunching Folding at Home while playing a game.
No noise issues.
Try re-installing the drivers.
Do you have a short or bad component on your motherboard?
Bad SATA power plug or PSU?
Conflicting drivers (or out of date)?
Check for viruses or trogens too.
Talk to EVGA tech support.

That's the best I can do for now.

MhzManiac
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 772
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Terrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card 2021/01/09 19:08:48 (permalink)
Cpu bus noise is being amplified. Not something to expect from such a high end card. What board are you using and what slot is it installed?

That is me in the picture, anyone else ever pet a live Lion?
EVGA Z390 FTW (Bios 1.08)  i9-9900KF 8 core, 32G Corsair Vengeance LPX Dual Chl 3000 XMP-1 ,  
Intel SSD6 M.2 2TB, Samsung 840 PRO 1TB / 512G SSD,   Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super , Win 11 Pro 64, EVGA Supernova 1300 watts, NZXT Phantom 820, Strix Raid DLX 7.1 surround, Corsair H100 Liquid , Dell S2417DG /S2409W / Acer XB241H Predator / Samsung C24F390 Curve/ Oculus Rift S VR
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: Terrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card 2021/01/09 23:04:10 (permalink)
Welcome to the forums.

See How to troubleshoot if I am experiencing issues with my EVGA NU Audio Card? in the EVGA FAQs.

You said you changed PCIe slots, but try the card in a PCIe x16 slot instead of another x1 slot if you haven't done that yet..PCIe x1 interface will fit/work in a PCIe x16 slot.

Set your PCIe slots to Gen3 in the mobo BIOS if that's an option..The card is Gen2 but Gen3 is backward compatible.

If all else fails, Contact EVGA.

And yes, you should post your system hardware and OS.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

thedoor
Re: Terrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card 2021/01/10 13:04:52 (permalink)
Hey all,

Thanks a bunch for all your advice. Sorry if I sound frustrated, I came here only once the hair-pulling started :) I think the fact that this doesn't go away in different slots and the fact that the onboard sound doesn't suffer from this really eliminates a lot of the options that were laid out, don't you agree?

After reading all your tips:
- I checked, the driver I have is the latest one from August. I reinstalled it anyway.
- I have no reason whatsoever to think the PSU is causing this. If you have thoughts as to how one would check this, I'm all ears. Voltages are solid, and the PSU is nowhere near its max.
- PCIe slots-wise, it is currently in the 1x slot I have but as I mentioned I tried the others too. Some slots on my mobo go to the CPU and are PCIe 3, but others are PCIe 2 and go to the chipset. The only one I haven't tried is the one that turns off the M2 slot if it's used.

My machine deets:
6950X (@4.6, 1.27V)
ASUS Rampage V Extreme
64GB of Patriot Viper RAM
EVGA 1070 Black
Samsung 970 EVO
Corsair HX1000i PSU
Everything is watercooled (custom loop)

I haven't registered this card so apparently I can't contact EVGA support. I kind of have to make a call as to whether I think that chance is worth it, because currently all things point to me having to resell this card to someone else and I don't want to use up the registration.

If we step back from solutions for a sec, what is the actual likely cause? Considering loading the CPU doesn't cause a problem, only the GPU, do we think it is coming from PCIe interference? Or, and I'm really grasping for straws/out of my depth here, does a GPU also create EM fields that can somehow be picked up by the card? If this is the problem, is there even any hypothetical solution? Or SOL?

One minor addition - I cranked up my speakers to levels I don't use, and there is a hissing/buzzing even at idle. I re-tested the GPU and CPU loading after doing so, and the GPU sounds start to get real interesting (there is a sort of intermittent louder pulsing within the noise), while the CPU load, weirdly, actually reduces the noise. Also, this may be self-evident to those of you who are more well-versed in this stuff, but if I mute the sound in windows, the noise does not change at all. As a layman in sound things, this tells me the noise is not being generated by the system or apps or whatever, but rather is electrical in nature.

And slightly off-topic: do USB sound cards still suffer from interference through the USB port, or are they much more immune to this kind of interference?
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Terrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card 2021/01/10 14:10:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby thedoor 2021/01/10 22:13:24
If you have spread spectrum disabled in your motherboard BIOS, just for fun, if you enable spread spectrum, do you hear any difference?  If you don't hear a difference with spread spectrum enabled vs disabled, I am less likely to believe that it is noise coming from the PCI-E system, and more like to believe that you are simply hearing electromagnetic interference coming from the video card.  Preventing electromagnetic interference is pretty much a process of removing the device causing the interference (not feasible in this case unless you planned on replacing the video card anyway for some other reason), or shielding the two via a grounded metallic box surrounding one or the other (not very feasible either).  Shielding is very doable, but it requires sheet-metal skills and requires care not to accidentally make the shield short something out.  Also, a shield can be pretty ugly.

Which NU Audio card are you using?  If it is the earlier model with a front-panel audio header, disconnecting the front-panel audio header can sometimes make a considerable difference.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/01/10 14:13:39

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Terrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card 2021/01/10 15:09:36 (permalink)
Have you checked the motherboard for new drivers? It really seems odd since mine work perfectly but drivers besides for the card itself could easily be the issue.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

thedoor
Re: Terrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card 2021/01/10 22:13:14 (permalink)
ty_ger07 thank you so much, now we're talking! I was not thinking about BIOS settings at all as something that might help. I went into my BIOS, spread spectrum was on Auto, which I believe means Disabled since the chip is overclocked. I turned it on. There is definitely a difference: the overall static/hissing/buzzing background noise is present, but much abated. The intermittent pulsing noise, however, seems to still be present in the same way, maybe a little quieter. There is also a very clear additional noise when doing stuff like moving around windows. Overall, I would still call this a pretty substantial improvement! I think we just left unusable territory.

The card is this one: 712-P1-AN01-KR (sorry can't paste links yet) and I only have the SATA power plug connected.

Potentially a stupid question but: isn't the metal cover on the Nu card much like the shielding you are describing? If yes, should I try to ground it?

Hoggle - appreciate the advice, but this mobo hasn't had updates since like 2016 (at least on ASUS's site). I've picked up updated drivers piecemeal here and there on first-party sites like Intel, but suffice it to say it seems no one cares about this platform anymore (except for a BIOS update in 2019 for the Intel vulnerabilities, I've got that BIOS).

Now that spread spectrum has had an effect, I will also re-experiment with PCIe slots, see if there is an interplay between spread spectrum and the slots.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Terrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card 2021/01/11 11:09:20 (permalink)
The back side isn't shielded.

I would expect that if you made a backplate or otherwise shielded the back, things would improve.  It's hard to know for sure.

If you don't have the line-in and mic-in muted, mute those (if possible).  The mic-in especially is a concern with such long exposed traces on the back of the card.

An easy-ish way to shield the back would be to plasti-dip the whole back of the card ... really, really well so you don't accidentally short anything by the next step ... apply a layer of aluminum foil tape over the whole back on top of the dried plasti-dip, and make sure that you curve the foil tape over the back edge onto the surface of the rear IO plate so that the top surface of the aluminum foil tape grounds to the rear of your computer case when you install the card into your computer.  You should be able to peel the plasti-dip back off in the future, so it shouldn't cause the warranty to be void, as long as it doesn't also peel the stickers off.  Maybe cover the stickers in weak tape first, so the plasti-dip peels the weak tape off instead of the stickers.

The new model has a backplate over the PCB.  And the new model doesn't have a front panel header.  Those two changes could have possibly been made partly because of interference complaints.  You aren't the only one who has reported interference with the old model.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/01/11 11:52:26

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Injuis
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Terrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card 2021/01/23 16:48:45 (permalink)
I'm going through this problem with my NU Audio Pro 7.1.  Suddenly developed buzzing/squealing noises under GPU load.  I've gone through a number of troubleshooting steps that may help you diagnose the issue.
  • If you are using more than a stereo setup, does disconnecting the surround or center/sub channels stop the noise?  It does for me.
  • Do you get the same noise through the headphone output?  
  • Have you tried a audio signal transformer?  That can help eliminate the possibility of a ground loop.  Although, if it fixes it, I would advise against using it as you do lose significant tone, even with expensive ones.
  • Continuing with ground loop identification, you can also try lifting the ground from your computer (JUST TO TEST FOR GROUND LOOPS, not a permanent solution!)
  • It looks like the spread spectrum suggestion helped - I used for diagnosing EFI.  Basically pulled the card out of the case and surrounded it in metal that grounds to the case.  Didn't work for me but it was useful in determining if EFI was an issue.
 EDIT - EVGA removed my link for the device I used in the last suggestion.  Search Amazon for "GLOTRENDS 1X to 1X PCI-E Extension"
post edited by Injuis - 2021/01/23 16:51:15
timmyboy04
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: Terrible interference/noise with Nu Audio card 2021/02/20 09:26:52 (permalink)
Has anybody had an issue like this with an older sound card that was resolved by upgrading to an EVGA model with proper backplate and better shielding?

I have a xonar essence stx and it has a buzzing only through the mic and line in but not on the analog output. I got complaints about it and the only way to resolve it is to use onboard audio for mic and the xonar for output.

I'd like to upgrade but only if I can be confident that a higher quality card will solve the issue. Would like to hear a success story if it exists...
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile