EVGA

Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2018/09/22 02:08:47 (permalink)
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/report-telltale-games-shutting-down-the-wolf-among-us-2-and-stranger-things-canceled

Telltale Games- the studio behind The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, Tales From The Borderlands and more- will be closing. The studio currently maintains only a skeleton crew of 25 out of what once was an estimated 250 employees at peak. Sadly, the employees that were let go received no severance pay, while those remaining have been tasked with completing a single final project. Always sad to see a game studio close but you have to make games that are attractive to customers.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

13 Replies Related Threads

Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/22 15:31:30 (permalink)
    Not surprising at all and what's worse is it's 38 Studios all over again with the upper level management not knowing how to handle things. It's horrible how they screwed over every single employee working for them, including the fresh hires, while also apparently canceling a heavily hyped final season to TWD. Current rumors have it the final project involves a Netflix\Microsoft based Minecraft movie or something. Thankfully a ton of game devs\publishers have been reaching out in support as a result of this devastating closure.

Essentially what I think happened is they got too cocky which lead to them doing too many IPs at once. Which also lead to stretching their small staff and what money was left over too thin. They became a victim of not only their upper management but their own hubris.
    post edited by Killmur - 2018/09/22 16:08:09

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/22 17:45:52 (permalink)
    EA should buy them out and create Walking Dead: Battle Royale Zombie Edition. 
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/25 05:36:33 (permalink)
    kinda shame , they were pretty much the only people making those type of games successful. ( at least I thought so )

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/25 07:12:55 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    kinda shame , they were pretty much the only people making those type of games successful. ( at least I thought so )

Looks like nobody was making those types of games successful...

Really I am kind of surprised by this and was waiting for the final season to get the whole thing for Walking Dead. Now I am not sure I will pick up the title if the story is left unfinished.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/25 09:43:20 (permalink)
    They aren't even games. 
    Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/25 11:55:39 (permalink)
    Well they have come confirmed that they did stop working on the last season of TWD by mentioning they're looking for help to finish it. Even though they made it sound like they're doing it for the fans I feel it's more to stave off any possible repercussions from potential lawsuits and more than likely was told by the IP\franchise owner, Robert Kirkman, that they're required to finish it.

Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/27 22:36:01 (permalink)
    OMG!
    thank you for letting us know this!
    Can we still download our games from their site?
    My account does not seem to be valid anymore?
    Does anyone have a direct link to their download section?
    Man, I need to backup all of those game installers.
    :(

Thanks for any help!

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/30 12:05:35 (permalink)
    This company got pretty bad when they were just rolling out the same garbage with a new skin over and over again. I stopped buying their games, they got boring. 

fearpoint
    They aren't even games. 

Oh, but people argued they were... I even stated the games were boring as hell on the Steam forums, but you know how that goes. I wonder if people are still defending their games over there? Probably. 
    Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/30 13:58:06 (permalink)
    I think part of what hurt them was when Life is Strange came out with a better story and choice system implemented. Granted I never played the game but I've seen it played and I could tell Dontnod had something better going for episodic gaming. Even Hitman did as well. In fact I do believe IO Interactive even said despite it being episodic it sold pretty darn well. So yea it wasn't just internal issues but external as well that hurt them. What also hurt them was Jurassic Park and Game of Thrones bombing upon release. Not to mention the controversy behind taking Minecraft and turning it into a episodic game.

In short it was a massive laundry list of problems that lead to their demise and the screw over of every single employee.
    post edited by Killmur - 2018/09/30 14:00:52

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/30 16:54:39 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    They aren't even games. 

Anything someone decides is fun is considered a game. It just depends on what you think is fun.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/30 18:39:42 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    This company got pretty bad when they were just rolling out the same garbage with a new skin over and over again. I stopped buying their games, they got boring. 

fearpoint
    They aren't even games. 

Oh, but people argued they were... I even stated the games were boring as hell on the Steam forums, but you know how that goes. I wonder if people are still defending their games over there? Probably. 

You got perm banned because you criticized the precious. I got perm banned the other day on some steam forum for just saying the thread creator has a legitimate question and he should be allowed to make a thread about it. The hatred coming from game developers is absurd now. They hate gamers and aren't shy about making it known. I wish them all the worst. 
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/09/30 23:03:14 (permalink)
    Killmur
    I think part of what hurt them was when Life is Strange came out with a better story and choice system implemented. Granted I never played the game but I've seen it played and I could tell Dontnod had something better going for episodic gaming. Even Hitman did as well. In fact I do believe IO Interactive even said despite it being episodic it sold pretty darn well. So yea it wasn't just internal issues but external as well that hurt them. What also hurt them was Jurassic Park and Game of Thrones bombing upon release. Not to mention the controversy behind taking Minecraft and turning it into a episodic game.

In short it was a massive laundry list of problems that lead to their demise and the screw over of every single employee.

Did anyone think Telltale would not make Minecraft an episodic game? Second anyone said Telltale I knew what to expect five chapters spread out over about a year. In a way I also think that is what hurt the Game of Thrones game since it seemed to be about a season behind the show when it launched then felt two seasons behind when it ended. As for the storyline feeling like it wasn't as good as other games like Life is Strange it's really a good point. I have enjoyed the Telltale games I have played (mostly walking dead) but the style really kind of feels old compared to newer games like Detroit Become Human for the PS4 which was fun and different from most games I had been playing but after the credits rolled on it I can't say I wanted to really look at changing what I did on my first playthrough. 

Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Telltale Games Enters Majority Closure, Walking Dead Finale Reportedly Cancelled 2018/10/04 14:56:16 (permalink)
    Welp looks like word on the street has it that the skeleton crew has been laid off as of today. I wouldn't be completely surprised if not only a full blown lawsuit ensues but possible investigations on a governmental level happens. This whole situation stinks of major illegal going ons and that's definitely not good. I say this because several former employees have been coming forward talking about red flags and other such things happening at TTG. Because of what has apparently gone down today I wouldn't expect the last 2 episodes of TWD's final season to be completed after all.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile