Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 10
Author
MADOGRE
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 14:25:06 (permalink)
How its the 1gb of memory, is it an issue?
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 14:42:53 (permalink)
Grayth
VERY cool so far; definitely fantastic for line work. I've only had a couple of problems: One is that some apps (Artflow) pick up "normal" styluses as being the eraser. Thats to bad, because right before they switch, the fat stylus behaves like a nice wide brush; I could see using it in combination with the normal one for some neat results. 

The second is that when the tablet it totally flat on a hard surface (like a desk), the palm rejection goes a little nuts if I place the full weight of my (rather small) hand on it, and just rejects everything, stylus included. I notice the issue goes away if I'm holding the pad at an angle, or if I rest my hand lightly on the Note. I wonder if I got a finicky one or if thats just how the design goes. When I realize what I'm doing and adjust for it though, it draws amazingly well (at least so far I'm concerned the pressure thing might get more finicky). 

You can also try enabling stylus mode (small icon with hand/lock, at lower left when Stylus is removed) This will not allow any palm input.

sajinor
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 377
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 15:29:04 (permalink)
I am part of this owners club and just got mine today. 

I also got the Slide Cover, but cannot get it installed. I must be a bit of a moron, as the reviews indicate it is as easy as "sliding it in". However, I cannot get the placeholder out in the first place. I have tried pushing it out with my thumb, finger nails in the slot and q-tip and it has not budged. I don't really want to use a paperclip as it will gouge the heck out of the tablet if it doesn't move. What am I doing wrong? Everything else has been great so far, but I want my screen protection!

Primary: i9-10200x @ 4.8, LianLi Galahad 360A, EVGA x299 FTW-K, 256GB DDR4 2666, EVGA RTX 3090, LianLi O11 Air

KittyNode: i5-10400 @ 4.0, Arctic i13, ASUS ROG Strix B460I, 16GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1650 Super, Fractal Node 304
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 16:02:13 (permalink)
Glad to see everyone is enjoying their tablet! I'm going to ask a mod if this can be the official thread and ask some reviewers if I can post their videos here.

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

twong128
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 16:11:32 (permalink)
Just received my Note 7. The package is nice.

Unfortunately, after I opened the box,  I immediately found there is a rather large black spot on the Note 7 screen. If I touch
the screen, the black spot moves and changes shape. Seems like there is moisture inside the screen glass.

Is this normal and do I need to return to Newegg?

Really disappointed.

-Tom
phoenix5724
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 16:25:15 (permalink)
twong128
Just received my Note 7. The package is nice.

Unfortunately, after I opened the box,  I immediately found there is a rather large black spot on the Note 7 screen. If I touch
the screen, the black spot moves and changes shape. Seems like there is moisture inside the screen glass.

Is this normal and do I need to return to Newegg?

Really disappointed.

-Tom

I would return it as long as it isn't just a bubble under the protective coating :)

My tablet looks great and is working well so far but the cover that came with it was broken, it appeared that the packaging got damaged at some point and one of the pins broke.  NewEgg was great about setting me up with an RMA and taking it back.

twong128
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 16:56:28 (permalink)

>I would return it as long as it isn't just a bubble under the protective coating :)
I did remove the protective plastic clear sheet. The spot is inside the screen
and has the shape of an eclipse about 1" across and 1/2" high. It is rather noticeable.

Also maxvanblade reported in another thread:
>Got it today. Had a spot in the middle like the screen inside was touching something but over about 1/2 hour it went away.

Hope the spot will go away soon.
very disappointed if I have to return it back to Newegg :-(
Grayth
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 17:02:03 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF

You can also try enabling stylus mode (small icon with hand/lock, at lower left when Stylus is removed) This will not allow any palm input.

Oh, I'm definitely doing this. My problem is not that the palm leaves marks, is that sometimes for some reason sometimes when my palm is down it'll totally stop taking pen input as well; it will make no marks at all. I've noticed that at these times, even when I remove my palm and it starts writing/drawing again, it won't take the eraser. Its as if all the pen processing wigs out for a bit except for basic pen drawing. Then other times it works as well as anything I've ever seen. Its odd. 

MADOGRE
How its the 1gb of memory, is it an issue?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask this, since I'd been doing just fine with my 2012 Nexus 7. I got the Note 7 just for the enhanced pen input. No issues that I can tell, but I haven't done anything crazy intensive yet. 
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 17:19:29 (permalink)
sajinor

I also got the Slide Cover, but cannot get it installed. I must be a bit of a moron, as the reviews indicate it is as easy as "sliding it in". However, I cannot get the placeholder out in the first place. I have tried pushing it out with my thumb, finger nails in the slot and q-tip and it has not budged. I don't really want to use a paperclip as it will gouge the heck out of the tablet if it doesn't move. What am I doing wrong? Everything else has been great so far, but I want my screen protection!

Did you fill out the form?

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2032
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 17:22:20 (permalink)
Hi sajinor,

I recommend placing the tablet screen face down on a towel or something soft and flat to avoid scratching the screen. Once this is done hold the tablet down and use a ball point pen in the small groove on the side of the black plastic piece that you are removing. If you place a gentle pressure on the pen while sliding towards the end of the tablet closest to the groove the plastic should slide out and allow you to then pull it with your hand.

I hope this helps and please be careful with the pen when sliding it not to poke yourself. 

sajinor

post edited by EVGATech_ChrisB - 2013/11/22 17:35:31

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2032
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 17:29:32 (permalink)
Dear twong128,

I am very sorry to hear that you are having a issue. I can confirm that this is likely not water or moisture as these are unable to enter the area that you are referring to during the manufacturing process. I can assure you that you do not need to return this to Newegg as we are here to work with you.

Please let me know if you should have the same problem after a little bit of use and I will work with you directly. Chrisb@evga.com 

twong128

>I would return it as long as it isn't just a bubble under the protective coating :)
I did remove the protective plastic clear sheet. The spot is inside the screen
and has the shape of an eclipse about 1" across and 1/2" high. It is rather noticeable.

Also maxvanblade reported in another thread:
>Got it today. Had a spot in the middle like the screen inside was touching something but over about 1/2 hour it went away.

Hope the spot will go away soon.
very disappointed if I have to return it back to Newegg :-(

phoenix5724
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 18:23:13 (permalink)
Did you notice it before removing the plastic? I left mine on so far. I assume screen protectors will be made at some point.
twong128
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 18:45:36 (permalink)
>Did you notice it before removing the plastic? I left mine on so far. I assume screen protectors will be made at some point.

Yes. It is noticeable even before I removed the protective plastic sheet.
The bubble is actually inside the screen glass. When I touch the bubble and the surrounding area,
it changes shape. Seems like some moisture is trapped inside the screen.
twong128
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 20:05:26 (permalink)
Just completed the RMA process with Newegg to return my defective Note 7.
Newegg was quick to approve the RMA but I was charged $10.75 for return shipping via UPS
and $4.50 for restocking fee. I was spoiled by the easy refund from Frys, for example, so
I am not happy to be so penalized by Newegg for returning a defective product.
I still like the Note 7 but I won't be buying it from Newegg. I hope Note 7 will be available for sale at
Bestbuy or Frys some time soon.

BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/22 20:49:51 (permalink)
twong128
Just completed the RMA process with Newegg to return my defective Note 7.Newegg was quick to approve the RMA but I was charged $10.75 for return shipping via UPSand $4.50 for restocking fee. I was spoiled by the easy refund from Frys, for example, soI am not happy to be so penalized by Newegg for returning a defective product.I still like the Note 7 but I won't be buying it from Newegg. I hope Note 7 will be available for sale at Bestbuy or Frys some time soon. 
even better buy it straight from evga!

Corwyn_123
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/23 07:53:15 (permalink)
I pre-ordered my Tegra Note 7 on Nov 15 3 day shipping, so I expected in on Friday. Tuesday it didn't ship, but on Wednesday, I received an e-mail stating that they were now in and my shipping was being changed, at no additional charge, to Next day. It shipped Thursday, I received it Friday, just as I expected when I placed the order. I can't complain at all about the excellent customer service I've received.

I now have my Tegra Note 7, I've been using it since I received it, and so far, I'm not dissatisfied with my decision to purchase one. Granted, it's been less than a day, but I've barely touched my 10" tablet in a long time, I found it too bulky to carry around and use everyday. This one fits in my back pocket, it's light enough to carry and use for everyday use. I've played a few games on it, browsed the web, and used it for various functions already including watching a movie with my Chromecast (1080p) via Netflix.

The only issue I've experience with it so far is after plugging it in to charge, it wouldn't respond to touching it with my fingers or stylus, this was easily corrected by closing the flip cover and holding the power button for 10 seconds, then powering on again. I haven't seen or experienced any issues the (unfortunately very slanted) reviews have stated, I'm quite happy with the Tegra Note 7 so far.
post edited by Corwyn_123 - 2013/11/23 07:57:45
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/23 09:38:03 (permalink)
Who is Walter and James?

fm123
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 131
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/23 10:14:19 (permalink)
Got it yesterday and have been playing around a bit.  My 3DMark Ice Storm Unlimited score is 16400.  I have a Nexus 7 to compare to, and the speed is much, much faster.

I ran Real Racing 3 (great to watch the opening sequence, not sure how to replay it as it only starts after install is done), Dead Trigger 2, and some other games.  These all seemed fine and the tablet doesn't get that hot either.  I have a Shield, and they looked the same graphically and the sound was good.  Shield has better sound, but this tablet has good sound.

Very fast web browsing.  I think I can use this in place of starting up the computer much of the time.

The stylus works well, but the Android drop down notification shades I keep hitting with my hand, so that interrupts the input at times.  So the app/mode should be able to optionally shut them off like games do (I mean, I hope they provide this kind of option, or there is an app that does this, for me).  There is little in the way of apps for the stylus, so I had to down load some and will have to keep testing.  Papyrus, Stylus Beta, MyScript Calculator.  I found that using Google Keep with Stylus Beta allows filling in quick notes and lists pretty easy.  Not quite settled on what app to use, Write, Papyrus or similar app as I keep hitting the drop down shade.
post edited by fm123 - 2013/11/23 10:17:11
GreetingsEarthling
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/23 11:38:06 (permalink)
twong128

Just completed the RMA process with Newegg to return my defective Note 7.
Newegg was quick to approve the RMA but I was charged $10.75 for return shipping via UPS
and $4.50 for restocking fee. I was spoiled by the easy refund from Frys, for example, so
I am not happy to be so penalized by Newegg for returning a defective product.
I still like the Note 7 but I won't be buying it from Newegg. I hope Note 7 will be available for sale at
Bestbuy or Frys some time soon.

For the record I asked EVGA on Twitter if this device will be sold in stores and they replied "not at this time". However I would note that for the remainder of the holiday season, the device will be backed by Newegg's "Iron Egg" return policy which does not require you to pay shipping costs for returns. For the record, this is one reason I didn't pre-order, because only the standard return policy applied to the pre-order.
gohack
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/23 23:25:34 (permalink)
Well I got mine in today, and so far, so good, w/no issues to report.

I'm waiting for a screen protector to be released by someone for the Tegra 7 Note. I'm also waiting for the optional EVGA Slide Cover to get back in stock at Newegg as well.

- Dell Inspiron 5676 Desktop; AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU; (2x) Dell GTX 1070 Video Cards; 32 GB DDR4, 500 GB Samsung 970 Plus M.2 SSD; OEM 850 Watt Power Supply; Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard (AW768); Logitech Ball Mouse (M570); Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 

- Alienware Aurora R8 Desktop; Liquid Cooled Intel i9-9900K CPU; (2x) EVGA RTX 2060 XC Ultra Video Cards; 32 GB DDR4; 500 GB Samsung 970 Plus M.2 SSD; EVGA 850 Watt Power Supply; Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard (AW768); Logitech Ball Mouse (M570); Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

EBTurner
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/24 00:46:21 (permalink)
Issues, Maybe

Loving the tablet so far. Have encountered a problem with the SD card though. Finds everything I've put in it so far (tried up to 32G Class10) just fine. I can mount and unmount, but no options for actually moving anything onto it, not in Settings/Storage and not with any app or their settings. No options to erase/format or anything like that either. Its like the card(s) is there, but not there.

Tried AppMgrIII (App2SD) which has worked and is working fine for me on my Android phones, but gives me a "Device not Supported" error on the Tegra Note.

Not sure now if its a hardware or OS/firmware issue.

I thought one of the draws for this was the "clean" Android OS, and it was a selling point for me. I guess I figured it would have all those little options & controls enabled that could be enabled.

Anyone else seeing this sort of problem, or am I just missing something? Any advice would be appreciated

Update: EVGA Support is pretty awesome. Still no clear answer on why some of the "Move to SD" options are unavailable, but some good info nonetheless, and a quick response.
post edited by EBTurner - 2013/11/24 01:26:24
gadgetboi
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/24 05:24:33 (permalink)
Received my Friday, use it through 1 1/2 charge cycles so far, no issues. Gaming performance is great. Feels really solid and I personally like the heavier feel than my Nexus 7.
I made some screen caps of Benchmarks. Here's one , my Note had a higher score then the reference Note. I will post the others when I meet the posting requirements.

post edited by gadgetboi - 2013/11/24 05:27:26

Attached Image(s)

fm123
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 131
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/24 09:20:31 (permalink)
EBTurner
Issues, Maybe

Loving the tablet so far. Have encountered a problem with the SD card though. Finds everything I've put in it so far (tried up to 32G Class10) just fine. I can mount and unmount, but no options for actually moving anything onto it, not in Settings/Storage and not with any app or their settings. No options to erase/format or anything like that either. Its like the card(s) is there, but not there.

Tried AppMgrIII (App2SD) which has worked and is working fine for me on my Android phones, but gives me a "Device not Supported" error on the Tegra Note.

Not sure now if its a hardware or OS/firmware issue.

I thought one of the draws for this was the "clean" Android OS, and it was a selling point for me. I guess I figured it would have all those little options & controls enabled that could be enabled.

Anyone else seeing this sort of problem, or am I just missing something? Any advice would be appreciated

Update: EVGA Support is pretty awesome. Still no clear answer on why some of the "Move to SD" options are unavailable, but some good info nonetheless, and a quick response.

I don't have an SD card installed, but I seem to recall the app move to SD card came to Shield on the 4.3 update.  I could move Asphalt 8, Madden NFL, Real Racing 3, etc... So it may have to do with the Android version.

I found the USB jack doesn't fit too good. Anyone else notice that?

Well at least this reference product is coming out in different forms for people to choose from.  The people here are early adopters.
post edited by fm123 - 2013/11/24 09:23:11
gadgetboi
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/24 10:18:08 (permalink)
fm123

Mine seems to want to insert best starting at a slight angle, other than that, its a good fit and no other issues.

SFF - ITX | Fractal Node 304/MSI Z87 itx | i5 4670K | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 |NVIDIA GeForce EVGA GTX 750Ti SC | 120GB HyperX SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SDD/HDD | Win7 x64 | Corsair TX750w

EVGA Tegra Note -Tegra 4 -4.4.2 | HTC One X+ -Tegra 3 -4.2.2 | Asus Transformer Prime TF201 -Tegra 3 
phoenix5724
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/24 10:22:46 (permalink)
I don't have a full review but since receiving it on Friday I've used it for web browsing and have played with the stylus.  I'm really glad I made the decision to go this way over the nexus 7.  I really haven't noticed a problem with the screen at all, everything looks good enough for me! 

rchrdcrg
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 105
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/24 10:56:43 (permalink)
Hey folks, just stumbled across this forum, and right here is another happy Note 7 owner. Basically, most of the faults mentioned in reviews, like the poor screen or cheap build quality, are not nearly as bad as those biased reviewers made it seem. I've been playing tons of games as that's what I got it for, but I'm loving the stylus input as well, especially with Swype, and a 7" tablet is much easier to carry around than my hulking 10" Acer A500.

My complaints are mostly software related. There is some really annoying dynamic compression on the sound which kinda defeats the purpose of having decent speakers, and at very low volumes it just cuts the sound out, making songs that fade out cut off early. The stylus, while awesome, could use a few small tweaks as well; even with hand input off, if my Palm is resting right on the edge of the screen then the pen won't work. I've also had a problem with some apps (eg. GT Racing 2) thinking this is a Shield, so they are unplayable as they assume you have the Shield's controls, but that's an app developer issue (and I've already emailed Gameloft about it).

Here's my big question... anyone figured out how to root this thing yet? I'm doing without several root apps right now that I would really like to be using. Anyway, yes, another satisfied customer. Now if they would just ship my stinking cover then I'd be all set!
gadgetboi
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/24 12:09:51 (permalink)
rchrdcrg
Here's my big question... anyone figured out how to root this thing yet? 

Saw on XDA last month the Chinese version "Homecare Fly One Nvidia Tegra 4 Tablet" was rooted. Looks like someone was asking about applying it to the EVGA model yesterday, but no follow-up since. 
SAMOEDADDY
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2718
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/24 12:14:41 (permalink)
BF3PRO
SAMOEDADDY
I also got notice that my 3 Tegra's were going to be shipped and was charged. My boys will not be excited for Christmas.
why won't they be excited?

I meant to say that they WILL BE!!! I received all three a couple days ago. I have to honestly say that the color is not very vibrant, but it is a very smooth and responsive tablet. I was pretty impressed at the graphics for the games geared for Tegra chip. It is well worth the price they are selling. I would have gotten the Nexus 7, but the Tegra beats it by alot. And the purpose for the tablets are gaming. 

"NO SUCH THING AS FUTURE PROOF"
Be Quiet! Silent Base 802 Black Window * MSI X570 MEG ACE * Amd 5950x * Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC * 64GB DDR4 GSkill * Corsair H115i Pro * Evga Supernova GT 1300 * Logitech G35 * Win 11* Samsung 49" Monitor
EBTurner
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/24 15:25:03 (permalink)
"...I don't have an SD card installed, but I seem to recall the app move to SD card came to Shield on the 4.3 update.  I could move Asphalt 8, Madden NFL, Real Racing 3, etc... So it may have to do with the Android version.

Well at least this reference product is coming out in different forms for people to choose from.  The people here are early adopters..."

fm123 - thanks for reply. Yes its probably a software issue. I've managed to move just a few things over to SD with a popular file manager app, but for some reason there appears to be no native functionality at all for this in the installed OS, as there is on many other Android devices. I imagine most devs will address it before long, especially as the re-branded units from the mainstream names start to hit the shelves.

Of course I am hoping the next evolution of Android will get Pushed to the Note soon anyway... <hint hint> And I am also very much hoping the re-branded units will be close enough in physical form that the aftermarket ruggedized cases will be compatible, when they come out. I plan to use mine in the field a lot in a telecom heavy construction environment, and I am seriously needing all the protection I can get for it. (Still wishing it had Gorilla Glass....)

The usb is also a bit worrisome for me. Hopefully it will loosen up a bit before something breaks. 
post edited by EBTurner - 2013/11/24 15:27:56
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Tegra 7 Note Owners Thread! 2013/11/24 17:56:02 (permalink)
Due to some people thinking it would be hilarious to sabotage the Spreadsheet I'm locking it and if you would like to be added to it just ask on here and I will add you.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile