EVGA

Tech support question 2080 ti

Author
YeeDawg
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/04/15 00:41:54 (permalink)
I powered on my computer today and I got rainbow horizontal lines across my monitor. I restarted my computer and was able to get to my desktop; however, when I launched task manager it would not show my GPU. What made things weirder was when I launched GeForce experience it would show that I didn't have the newest driver installed. It showed me the express and customer install buttons, so it knew I had the driver files downloaded? Lastly, when I tried to launch EVGA precision X1 it would not do anything.
Luckily my good friend told me it might be corrupt drivers. So I started to uninstall them from programs and features. Right when I uninstalled the USB c driver my second monitor turned on and task manager showed that my GPU was installed. So I uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled them from GeForce experience. I did a custom install and opted for a clean installation. So far everything is running back to normal. Is there anything that I should be concerned about or are there any more steps I should take?
The OS drive in this build came from my previous build which had a gtx 970 in it. I never uninstalled the drivers for it when I swapped drives. I booted up the new pc and then clicked on "reset pc" and reinstalled everything that way. My theory on it (I might be wrong) is that it kept my GTX 970 drivers and just added some of the new drivers like USB C.
I vaguely remember that when I reinstalled GeForce experience it told me that the latest drivers were already installed so i didn't install them again since my 970 build. I could be wrong about this, it has been a few weeks since I built the PC.

TLDR: Turned on PC, got rainbow horizontal lines on monitor. Second monitor not turning on. Task manager not showing GPU. Uninstalled and did a clean install of drivers. Everything back to normal. Just wondering if there are further steps I should take.

6 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Tech support question 2080 ti 2019/04/15 14:30:49 (permalink)
    Glad to hear the driver reinstall fixed the problem. Hope it stays fixed. 
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Tech support question 2080 ti 2019/04/17 20:05:27 (permalink)

No. Looks like just reinstalling the drivers is sufficient. If something goes wrong again, then we can work with you on what further steps to take.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    YeeDawg
    Re: Tech support question 2080 ti 2019/04/17 23:34:48 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Glad to hear the driver reinstall fixed the problem. Hope it stays fixed. 

XrayMan

No. Looks like just reinstalling the drivers is sufficient. If something goes wrong again, then we can work with you on what further steps to take.

Yea, it seems like it fixed. Everything's been running like normal. If it was hardware related I probably should've noticed something by now. I think my old 970 drivers stayed and messed things up.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Tech support question 2080 ti 2019/04/18 00:29:07 (permalink)
    YeeDawg

Yea, it seems like it fixed. Everything's been running like normal. If it was hardware related I probably should've noticed something by now. I think my old 970 drivers stayed and messed things up.

That's probably what it was and I think a lot of complaints were similar to your case and confused it with having a bad GPU.  Glad you got it ironed out and hope others will find this post helpful.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    YeeDawg
    Re: Tech support question 2080 ti 2019/04/18 01:13:20 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer

That's probably what it was and I think a lot of complaints were similar to your case and confused it with having a bad GPU.  Glad you got it ironed out and hope others will find this post helpful.

Got lucky that my friend thought of it being a driver issue rather than hardware failure. Now I know for next time just run DDU and then swap hardware.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Tech support question 2080 ti 2019/04/18 03:26:27 (permalink)
    YeeDawg
    GTXJackBauer

Got lucky that my friend thought of it being a driver issue rather than hardware failure. Now I know for next time just run DDU and then swap hardware.

+1

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile