Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop?

Author
Red_Infern013
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 218
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2021/07/07 03:41:51 (permalink)
The general consensus seems to be that you don't take a vacuum cleaner to your laptop vents and fans (or any PC components) because of static electricity. But how true this actually is? and how does that actually work?

My knowledge of how static electricity works is pretty basic so please forgive my ignorance. Some mention static build up on the nozzle which if you touch pc components it may shock said component. So does that mean if I keep my distance and make sure to never touch anything with the nozzle I should be good. Or does the vacuum cleaner somehow shoot out electrical charges in the air while sucking that may build up on your components and maybe cause a short? Can you ground the tip of the nozzle somehow like placing a metal piece near the end of the nozzle and ground it to get rid of static electricity and make it safe?

I know these may seem like silly questions to some but where I'm currently located it's pretty dusty and I wanna clean my laptop heatsinks/vents without opening the laptop. Compressed air doesn't seem like a great option inside a closed chassis cause it'll only move dust deep inside and around, so vacuuming makes the most sense to me if I wanna get the dust in-between the heatsink fins and inside the fans.

AMD R9 3900x || Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin III CPU Air Cooler || Asus ROG Strix RTX 2060s Evo || MSI B450 Tomahawk Max ||  2x8gb Crucial Ballistix 3200Mhz || 1TB SanDisk Ultra 3d SATA SSD || EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1+

21 Replies Related Threads

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/07 05:03:28 (permalink)
    The build up of static electricity is caused by dust particles drawn into the plastic tube in vacuums. 

Do people still do it?  Yes, they try to keep the nozzle away from the vents.

Is there a chance of an ESD?  Yes, and sometimes the results are expensive.

ESD Vacuums are not cheap:  https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-DV3ESD1-DataVac-Anti-Static/dp/B000RMQJBK,
    which is why I use this:  https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Datavac-Safe-Electric-Duster/dp/B00U01YVYK

danlw
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 143
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/07 16:21:46 (permalink)
    It would be better to simply use canned air to blow out the dust.  Just make sure the laptop is off when you do it.

That said, I have used a vacuum cleaner, but your mileage may vary.  If you are in a cool dry environment, the risk of static buildup is high.  But if your environment has high humidity, you have less chance for static buildup.  The main thing is to keep it a few inches away to keep the static away.  Also keep the laptop plugged in so that if there is a discharge, it is more likely to hit the ground plane and be conducted safely away to ground.

Also, although it makes a cool sound, avoid the temptation to cause the fans to spin at high speed while vacuuming / blowing.  Its not good for the fans.
    Red_Infern013
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/07 18:34:50 (permalink)
    The air blower or a canned air is a no go in my opinion on a closed laptop. It'll likely get dust everywhere inside if the cooling system isn't air tight.

I just had a thought, taking the vacuum nozzle against the plastic grill covering fans and vents is very much similar to rubbing your laptop against your clothes while it's on your lap (not in a naughty way ;D) or putting it on any surface that is prone to static buildup like a carpet or most fabrics for that matter. And for years I've put my laptop on, well, my lap, the couch, the carpet, and the bed and nothing happened. Does that mean it maybe safe doing so as long as the nozzle isn't touching any metal?

Also what do you guys think about the idea of a piece of metal near the tip of the nozzle that is grounded. kinda like a ESD strap but for the nozzle, would that work in negating the static build up on the nozzle?

AMD R9 3900x || Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin III CPU Air Cooler || Asus ROG Strix RTX 2060s Evo || MSI B450 Tomahawk Max ||  2x8gb Crucial Ballistix 3200Mhz || 1TB SanDisk Ultra 3d SATA SSD || EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1+
    cdryden
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/08 06:26:04 (permalink)
    I just got a gaming laptop for work and have the fans running maxed out about every night while I sleep as I have it folding. So I probably need to get it on some kind of dust cleaning routine but I also have seen a ton of conflicting info on how to do this. I just vacuum out my ps5 and go on about my day and laptops/pc's have to be high maintenance lol. 

Alienware M17 R4
    • 10th Gen i7-10870H
    • RTX 3070 8GB GPU
    • 1TB SSD
    • 16GB Ram
    Red_Infern013
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/08 07:43:17 (permalink)
    cdryden
    I just got a gaming laptop for work and have the fans running maxed out about every night while I sleep as I have it folding. So I probably need to get it on some kind of dust cleaning routine but I also have seen a ton of conflicting info on how to do this. I just vacuum out my ps5 and go on about my day and laptops/pc's have to be high maintenance lol. 

I'm in a similar situation. I got an MSI GP66 with an rtx 3070 a few months ago and I need to clean those heatsinks (the cpu back heatsink blows considerablely less air than the other three so definitely needs a cleaning). I have no qualms with opening laptops, done it to my old one a dozen times to clean and change thermal paste and pads, but looking at the teardowns of the GP66 there's a very good chance that I'm breaking one or more of the plastic tabs while taking mine apart. 

If a vacuum is safe for a PS5 I don't see why it wouldn't for a laptop, maybe that's 1 point for the "it's ok to vacuum laptop" camp? :)

cdryden
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/08 08:36:59 (permalink)
    Red_Infern013
    I'm in a similar situation. I got an MSI GP66 with an rtx 3070 a few months ago and I need to clean those heatsinks (the cpu back heatsink blows considerablely less air than the other three so definitely needs a cleaning). I have no qualms with opening laptops, done it to my old one a dozen times to clean and change thermal paste and pads, but looking at the teardowns of the GP66 there's a very good chance that I'm breaking one or more of the plastic tabs while taking mine apart. 

If a vacuum is safe for a PS5 I don't see why it wouldn't for a laptop, maybe that's 1 point for the "it's ok to vacuum laptop" camp? :)

Haha while I agree, I believe the Ps5 has special dust sucking ports that I think are specifically isolated or grounded for this reason. That being said, I vacuumed out every port/gap/section I could find not just the special ones and nothing happened so as the kids say, yolo! Haha

Alienware M17 R4
    • 10th Gen i7-10870H
    • RTX 3070 8GB GPU
    • 1TB SSD
    • 16GB Ram
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11099
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/08 10:16:33 (permalink)
    Red_Infern013
    The air blower or a canned air is a no go in my opinion on a closed laptop. It'll likely get dust everywhere inside if the cooling system isn't air tight.

I just had a thought, taking the vacuum nozzle against the plastic grill covering fans and vents is very much similar to rubbing your laptop against your clothes while it's on your lap (not in a naughty way ;D) or putting it on any surface that is prone to static buildup like a carpet or most fabrics for that matter. And for years I've put my laptop on, well, my lap, the couch, the carpet, and the bed and nothing happened. Does that mean it maybe safe doing so as long as the nozzle isn't touching any metal?

Also what do you guys think about the idea of a piece of metal near the tip of the nozzle that is grounded. kinda like a ESD strap but for the nozzle, would that work in negating the static build up on the nozzle?

Years ago I worked for a retail chain doing their BLDG. maintenance HVAC, electric and NCR cash registers... 
    We used a vacuum with a bare internally ground #16 copper wire that went to the end of the vacuums wand.
    I have to say it worked as I never had an issue cleaning the mother boards, keyboards, fans and printers.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Blitzzwar
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/12 21:32:33 (permalink)
    I use one of these. Way better than canned air because it never runs out. https://www.amazon.com/Co...90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    EpicFail9000
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 109
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/14 07:28:39 (permalink)
    We stopped buying canned air after getting one of these at work.  Works great and no risk of getting the coolant liquid shooting out if you tilt the can wrong. 

crazyjohnny
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 191
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/15 13:02:42 (permalink)
    I had a nasty experience this January around my birthday.

A dedusting was long due and decided to use the help of the vacuum as I did it a few times before.

I was thorough and after I was done, I powered my PC, ran for about 10-15 minutes in RDR2 and after that, it completely shut down, and I could not manage to power it back on.

With some troubleshooting I came to the conclusion that the Motherboard and CPU were both out of commission.

A few friends who have some advance computer knowledge than I do, say that it was unrelated to the dedusting, but I cant believe it was just a coincidence.

Anyway,  I will soon receive an order for this product: https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/ref=ex_alt_wg_d?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01BI4UQK0&psc=1&pd_rd_w=DDgzr&pf_rd_p=4e1b46a8-daf9-4433-b97e-d6df97cf3699&pf_rd_r=XBKWGNS9X40SW3Q61YNT&pd_rd_r=5b5b8cde-e48c-47b3-99d4-723224a9985d&pd_rd_wg=eTvzW but from Amazon DE

I found great reviews on it and its perfectly suited to my needs, it has a good blowing pressure on two steps of intensity.

Perhaps I can provide some feedback after I will use it.

As far as I know, its safer and more efficient using a blower instead of a vacuum.

Jont11
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/18 08:39:01 (permalink)
    This may sound a little odd, but because of the volume of work we do we needed a fast method of cleaning PCB's and other components prior to diagnosis and/ repair.

We use an industrial dust extractor that is connected to a down draft table we fabricated. Everything from the table to the extractor is fully grounded and uses antistatic hose, connections and carry-on ground from house power. The work surface is covered in antistatic mat, drilled out to allow downdraft air flow. Multiple ground wires with alligator clips for grounding yourself and the parts to be cleaned.
    Now we just walk up, clip off, and set the item on the table, lightly brush heavy dust and the table does the work.
    I throw whole PC's on it, clip off and open the case and go to town with the brush.

That doesn't scare most people, but seeing us put PCB'S into liquid ultrasonic's will definitely raise an eyebrow from those who are unfamiliar with the process!! Always fun to do when the customer is with you too!!
    Cordorb
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 635
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/21 18:55:25 (permalink)
    Those amazon links sure have a lot of extra hex info

I just rub my cat on the plastic font panel and the dust just jump off  :-)

markedpk
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/07/24 14:35:26 (permalink)
    Can duster works just fine. Make sure to hold the straw part so you don’t shoot it into your pc
    R00thead
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 110
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/08/13 04:16:24 (permalink)
    A vacuum cleaner can produce a lot of static, best not to risk it. Always blow, never suck.
    crazyjohnny
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 191
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/08/17 09:07:52 (permalink)
    Alright, as previously promised, I said I will return with a review on the electric air blower, once it arrived in my hands.

I wanted a nice looking black one, due to lack of stock, I ordered a blue one that got damaged in transit, so on the new order, I was left with the lime green, which is the least favorite for me, but besides that, the product performs excellent.

I  had accumulated more dust than usual because my PC is set in a room with an exit to the balcony, and currently being renovated.

The cleaning process itself is very smooth, and I did not dared to use the second speed step because the first one was powerful enough.

With this kind of blower, I successfully managed to remove any remaining dust balls cluttered between the fins of my GPU, and I swear my rig never looked so clean since it was build.

I also used the opportunity to install a wifi board I recently received from a buddy.

Also note that this product comes with several nozzles and brushes which can come in handy for more precision cleaning on rough areas.

I am sure it can work wonders on a laptop too.

I hope this will prove helpful, and I attached some before and after pics.

post edited by crazyjohnny - 2021/08/17 09:23:45

Attached Image(s)

evga1081
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/09/06 05:36:56 (permalink)
    I have the metrovac duster and its awesome, definitely worth the purchase to get a nice deep clean on just about anything.
    BiOD0L3
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/09/13 16:02:30 (permalink)
    Air blowers are superior to vacuums for accomplishing the same task  (de-dusting your laptop)
    Nozler
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2043
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/09/13 19:03:38 (permalink)
    I bought one of those blowers too, good investment. And I've looked inside the intake from
    the bottom of a laptop or where ever it's located and on a couple of occasions have sniped
    the plastic mesh and reache din with tweezers or forceps and just pulled the blockage out.
    *cough cheat cough* then wack it with air funny thing when you get in a hurry and wth is a
    good glue for anyway 
    PS: Hold the fan when you blow it out don't want to damage it from high rpm
    post edited by Nozler - 2021/09/13 19:30:15

heatware

yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/09/19 12:29:00 (permalink)
    I've always just used an air compressor in my garage to blast my pc out and have never had an issue.  There is one concern to note:  make sure there is no condensation built up, so be sure to purge the compressor/lines before using it on your pc.

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    sing120
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/09/23 22:44:03 (permalink)
    i uss the vaccum cleaner to clean the air filter on the computer case only
    if you have a good air filter on your computer case, you dont have to worry the hardware inside your computer case
    Aapje
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: Taking a Vacuum Cleaner to your Laptop? 2021/10/01 14:46:57 (permalink)
    I've used the vacuum cleaner a lot to clean out my computers. Never had an issue with static electricity, although I have wooden floors, not carpet.

I do use a plastic nozzle, not metal.

If you are worried, I would just wear an anti-static bracelet while holding the vacuum.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile