Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/03/04 06:50:15 (permalink)
TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona | TechPowerUp

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), one of the largest manufacturers of silicon, is seemingly making plans to build as many as six of its US-based fabs in Arizona. According to the unconfirmed report coming from UDN, TSMC could be building its Arizona-based factories for much larger capacities. Based on TSMC's classifications, the MegaFab-class of factories is the one with 25,000 WSPM output. According to the report, TSMC plans to build six additional facilities in the area where the Arizona fab is, and have a GigaFab-class (even larger type) factory present on US soil. Currently, the company operates six GigaFabs and all of them are based in Taiwan.

The GigaFab class factory is supposed to have over 100,000 WSPM output, and by building one in the US, TSMC could get much closer to big customers like Apple, NVIDIA, and AMD. Reports are saying that TSMC's primary target is 3 nm node production on 12-inch (300 mm) wafers. All six of the supposed facilities are expected to output more than 100,000 wafers at their peak, making it one of the largest projects TSMC has ever done. The Arizona location is supposed to serve as a "mega fab" facility and it is supposed to start manufacturing silicon in 2024. This information is, of course, just a rumor so you should take it with a grain of salt, as this type of information is usually only known by top-level management.

If true this could take a lot of pressure off of its lone Taiwan fab and increase its customer base in my opinion. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

11 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/04 07:50:27 (permalink)
    that would be great  ( long term )

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/04 08:03:02 (permalink)
    yeah and you won't see improvement for years in chip supply until then

thinking about it is not building - which takes 3yrs so do math - like 5? 6?

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/04 08:22:57 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious
    yeah and you won't see improvement for years in chip supply until then

thinking about it is not building - which takes 3yrs so do math - like 5? 6?

probably take 2 yrs for just the studies & permits

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/04 10:49:18 (permalink)
    This plus +$15 minimum wage being pushed is going to be a disaster for tech pricing in the next decade. The expense is always handed off to the consumer.
    MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/04 12:06:34 (permalink)
    FOXCONN promised a huge manufacturing facility in Wisconsin that turned into a joke.

Ask yourself... what motivation does Taiwan have in building fabs in the US?

Right now, with all the world’s advanced node manufacturing capability, they are the safest place on earth. Everyone needs them.

To placate China they are building a non-US fab, in Taiwan, that has zero US components in order to supply Huawei.

Quite rationally, everything they do is about making *themselves* indispensable. Why move anything to the US?

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/04 12:45:43 (permalink)
    totally agree

US cannot be the worlds master....
    they failed at everything - cripes with the rate China is advancing they will win the space race too
    US abdicated it role years ago by not being more fair, more translucent and less power hungry

you are not out to rule the world - the days of forcing your will on others is over

you want change then give something to get something
    quit the rhetoric you send to poorer countries

carrots always work better than whips
    post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2021/03/04 12:48:04

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/04 14:24:16 (permalink)
    MasterMiner

US grants and subsidies.  Increased manufacturing output in the future leads to greater profit for them in the future.  And being able to construct those fabs in the near term for cheaper due to US's desire and willingness to help make that happen... why wouldn't TSMC consider it?
    Xavier Zepherious
    you want change then give something to get something 

The US is going to give something (grants/subsidies) to TSMC (or others) to get something (advanced industrial manufacturing capabilities).  The US government is getting this money from consumers by charging consumers a fee when the consumers buy such a competing product which is manufactured outside of the US.  The US is not directly punishing the other counties or forcing anything on them.  No whips are being used.  The US is punishing the consumers (not the companies nor countries directly) for the consumerism they choose to engage in, and then are redirecting the money collected into building up other options, via grants and subsidies, for greater future US consumer choices.
    It's going to take a while, and it may be painful, but it is a process which has good potential for improvement in the end.
    Why are you so skeptical?

I am not going to touch the Huawei part.  That is too complicated and is wrapped up in security concerns and property theft.  I can't comment on that.  If you want to argue that, maybe we can also argue about carrying a water bottle through the TSA check station.  Is it a conspiracy to increase water bottle sales?  Or is it just a matter of compromise necessary to enhance security?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/03/04 21:03:32

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/04 20:15:27 (permalink)
    Heh, this rumor has been growing exponentially... first it was two, then four, now up to six Gigafabs... Before people get carried away TSMC has only confirmed a SINGLE 5nm capable fab. TSMC is waiting on the US gov to provide incentives for that fab. TSMC isn't going to plan for six fabs before they know what the incentives for doing so would be, and six would be an absurd capacity. The real number is one, and may grow to two...

MasterMiner
    FOXCONN promised a huge manufacturing facility in Wisconsin that turned into a joke.

Right now, with all the world’s advanced node manufacturing capability, they are the safest place on earth. Everyone needs them.

To placate China they are building a non-US fab, in Taiwan, that has zero US components in order to supply Huawei.

Quite rationally, everything they do is about making *themselves* indispensable. Why move anything to the US?

Foxconn doesn't produce semiconductors, and in fact they never really committed to any one product except monitors. But yes the whole Foxconn deal is an utter joke.

Taiwan has motivation because they already produce chips in the US, and the US is one of the largest markets for both chip buyers, and companies placing the chip orders. Secondly, by producing a larger volume of chips in the US, they can skirt around trade tariffs, which are currently affecting GPU prices precisely because the GPUs are imported. 

TSMC is HQ'd out of Taiwan and the vast majority of their production comes from Taiwan. Naturally they will continue to expand their facilities there since they already own the land for doing so. It's absurd to think it has anything to do with China, not the least of which is because TSMC already owns at least two fabs in China.

Have water, will cool. 
    MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/05 07:57:56 (permalink)
    If America can build the latest and greatest chips in large abundance at home - then what incentive is there for America to risk war with a superpower?

China today is not the China of even 10 years ago. They mean serious business.

Building the most advanced chips in America removes Taiwan from the critical list.

When the rubber hits the road - hard calculations are made. Treaties go out the window.

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/05 09:23:43 (permalink)
    Huh?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: TSMC Could Build Six GigaFabs in Arizona 2021/03/05 09:56:34 (permalink)
    Make it happen u hippies😼. Now!!
    We need jobs in the states.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile