EVGA

System keeps shutting down

Author
phantomiceman
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/11/10 15:21:32 (permalink)
hi i have a strange issue since adding a 3090 fe to my system. It keeps randomly shutting down whilst gaming as if just lost power. ive looked into this and i have read at Evga psu apparently have a known issue with the 3000 cards causing them to trip . I have a Evga supernova GS 850w psu which i purchased in 2016. Though only started using it from new last year. Is this a known problem with this specific model and is there anyway to resolve it?

8 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: System keeps shutting down 2021/11/10 17:55:36 (permalink)
    YES, if yours was an older make from a year or more back , there was an updated version EVGA put out to fix the issue ...

see --> 
    EVGA Supernova 850 GA power supply recall? - EVGA Forums

&  this - >  850GA + 3080 TI = over current? - EVGA Forums

Contact them to setup an RMA  replacement .

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: System keeps shutting down 2021/11/12 14:37:06 (permalink)
    GA power supplies have not yet been out for 2 years, so if it was purchased in 2016, it wouldn't be a GA unit.  I haven't heard about any GS units being affected, so if this is a similar issue, it's the first I've seen someone comment about it. 

Have you checked your 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails in the BIOS?  How do you have the connector attached to the PSU?
    phantomiceman
    Re: System keeps shutting down 2021/11/12 16:09:08 (permalink)
    its not a GA units its a GS or G. its strange as it says G on the box but registers as  850 GS on product registation as well on the scan website where i brough its from. The units been discontinued for a few years now and has been replaced by the lines we have now.

The card has two pcie cable connected to it. Initally i was running it off the one cable and  its seemed to run fine but when i started running into the problem i read somewhere that you have to connect it to two different VGA connectors on the PSU so did just that hoping the problem was then be resolved but then it reared its head once again. So i started looking into more further and following on from the earlier commentors comments as well other posts i realised that it was a common fault with PSU that are more than 1-2 years old.

I have raised an RMA. I wanted to go through the advanced route as i cannot afford to have a system down as i use it for my job but i was shocked to find out that im getting charged more than double the value of a PSU in collaterall . Im not even sure how thats justified. I can understand them taking a payment for the value of PSU in the caes that they dont get the actual unit, but how can you charge someone double the price of an item for security. Im not sure if that a deterrent to put people off claimig on warranty or what. Maybe someone can explain the logic behind this as im a little dumbstruck right now...

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: System keeps shutting down 2021/11/13 07:38:18 (permalink)
    phantomiceman
    .... i was shocked to find out that im getting charged more than double the value of a PSU in collaterall . Im not even sure how thats justified. I can understand them taking a payment for the value of PSU in the caes that they dont get the actual unit, but how can you charge someone double the price of an item for security. Im not sure if that a deterrent to put people off claimig on warranty or what. Maybe someone can explain the logic behind this as im a little dumbstruck right now...

It's to prevent scalping. Hopefully the double collateral will go away once things (hopefully!) return to normal.
    What people were doing was claiming warranty on products, selling the "broken" one for more than MSRP, receiving the replacement one, and then selling or keeping the replacement one. Either way, they were making money by selling 1 or 2 products for more than MSRP and just losing MSRP in collateral. It was essentially a loophole allowing them to get twice as much stock as anyone else.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

phantomiceman
    Re: System keeps shutting down 2021/11/13 17:09:05 (permalink)
    Which is fair enough in the context of GPU but i dont think anyones scalping PSU right now .. theres no shortage of them in the UK at least.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: System keeps shutting down 2021/11/15 12:18:38 (permalink)
    To more accurately state it, the increase in collateral is to prevent fraud.  Yes, scalping still looks appealing when you can sell a card for more than the MSRP, but less so when you're paying double upfront to receive a card to replace one you may have already sold, as ty_ger07 mentioned.  It is true that you are less likely to see scalping on our other products, but that doesn't mean people have given up committing fraud through our EAR/cross-ship RMA programs.  It's a hidden cost of every business that provides RMA options where you don't have to send in your products first.  Unfortunately, one of the easiest ways to ensure that a person actually wants to trade replacements is by increasing the collateral to price out people who are just looking to make a quick buck.

We know that this does come at an inconvenience for many people, which is why we include a complementary pre-paid shipping label now with the cross-ship option for the US/CA region.
    phantomiceman
    Re: System keeps shutting down 2021/11/16 11:58:15 (permalink)
    Unfortunnatley i wont benefit from the the freeshipping as im based in the UK. Out of curiosity does anyone know if theres a RMA location in the UK i was told by scan that they had one the UK it might be more appealing if it was being sent domestically rather than overseas to Germany.. My main concern is for the item to get lost in transit which can happen if its going overseas.
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: System keeps shutting down 2021/11/16 14:07:25 (permalink)
    phantomiceman
    Unfortunnatley i wont benefit from the the freeshipping as im based in the UK. Out of curiosity does anyone know if theres a RMA location in the UK i was told by scan that they had one the UK it might be more appealing if it was being sent domestically rather than overseas to Germany.. My main concern is for the item to get lost in transit which can happen if its going overseas.

We used to have a UK location, but it's unfortunately closed now.  It will need to be sent to Germany.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile