Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU?

Author
timmyboy04
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 242
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/07 18:12:48 (permalink)
Hey all. I'm curious as to what you all think about about this. 

If Nvidia/AMD or even EVGA or other board partners offered their cards in a "naked" option, would you purchase it?

By "naked" I mean, for example, a 1080 ti without the shroud, fans, heat syncs, heat pipes, backplate, etc. Nothing but the card itself, ready to be water-blocked or maybe you can purchase a cooler separately and install it yourself, maybe in different colors (looking at you EVGA) or crazy, custom made shrouds and backplates. These would not be factory OC'd as like Intel does with their CPU's, they leave that to the end-user. They also haven't included coolers in the box since Skylake.

Nobody would be "Stuck" with a card that they thought would work but now won't if airflow in their case changed, or if they decided to go SLI but can't due to space. They could just buy a different cooler! Want to change your color scheme? Donn't buy a new card and sell your old one, just replace the aesthetics! 

The boards would be sold at a discount (maybe $50 less) and of course the "accessories" would be sold separately ($50). Of course, ready to go cards would still be available.

I'm interested in what you all think. Here's the link to the strawpoll: (TEMPORARILY REMOVED STRAWPOLL LINK)
Please let me know what pros and cons you can think of.
post edited by timmyboy04 - 2017/04/13 12:29:58

28 Replies Related Threads

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11089
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/07 19:04:18 (permalink)
    yeah think I would as long as the warranty is the same or better than with the cooler.
    Many people who always put their cards under water would I think.
    It may hurt resale value since so many people stay with air cooling.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

timmyboy04
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/07 19:44:41 (permalink)
    As far as resale, The purchaser could just buy what they want and add it themselves. The seller paid less and so will the purchaser. I think it's a win-win.

Also, EVGA should be extremely interested in it because with all these new colored GPUs coming out, (and forced color schemes, looking at you, MSI) they can make a killing on them as an accessory. I bought a Black edition and could just change to white (like I would have if they didn't announce them after the preorders already started) it would save them time assembling cards, have more stock ready (money out the window) and just give them an overall edge in the marketplace because color schemes and customization is very important to their customers. No-brainier to me.
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11089
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/07 20:44:02 (permalink)
    Couple things, as a little time goes by and new GPUs come out, you may not be able to find a cooler in stock.
    Considering there are a couple different Classified, FTW, FTW2, FTW3, founders, kingpin, list goes on and on.
    If most all the GPUs were a set standard like a reference card, it would be easier.
    There is a liability to EVGA, MSA ect.. some dumb dumbs fire up their naked cards thinking they do not need a cooler.
    I know it sounds silly, but there are a lot of "silly" people in the world!

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/07 20:46:08 (permalink)
    Only if they have the HC WB In-Stock for each Naked Graphics Card.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

rshwayder
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/08 20:06:30 (permalink)
    Nope. They should never offer it either. Some idiot would plug it in naked, fry it, then pitch a fit. Then he'd pull it out of his PC, burn himself, sue EVGA, and we'd lose the Step Up program somehow. And he'd take our lunch money.
    timmyboy04
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/08 20:11:35 (permalink)
    rshwayder
    Nope. They should never offer it either. Some idiot would plug it in naked, fry it, then pitch a fit. Then he'd pull it out of his PC, burn himself, sue EVGA, and we'd lose the Step Up program somehow. And he'd take our lunch money.

Intel hasn't included coolers in the box since Skylake so how is this any different?
    rshwayder
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/08 20:15:28 (permalink)
    Different user level. Random_gamer01 can install a graphics card. Most wouldn't ever try to replace a CPU. They were never plug-and-play even when a heatsink was included.

It's also really hard to warranty a card that the end user has so much influence over screwing up.
    timmyboy04
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/08 20:24:30 (permalink)
    I disagree. Obviously CPUs aren't "universal" and not as interchangable as GPUs but nothing a bit of marketing and warning labels wouldn't solve easily. 

EVGA has never voided a cards warranty soley based on if it's been tampered, modded, disassembled, reassembled, etc. Only damage directly caused by the user. In fact, they encourage it. 

I can see how they would look at this and think what you are thinking,,,the risks. There is an amount of risk in selling a Hybrid cooler or Water block that requires modding by a potentially inexperienced user. But think of the possibilities. The custimization and don't worry about other peoples stupidity. Wouldn't you like to save money and have more freedom with what you do with your hardware? If not, I want what you have...
    yeungster
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/09 03:49:04 (permalink)
    Good pitch. I'm liking the idea. Maybe restricted to enthusiast cards (ie. 1070+) so the average Joe doesn't fry the card by accident
    123Testing123
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/09 04:29:58 (permalink)
    timmyboy04
    Also, EVGA should be extremely interested in it because with all these new colored GPUs coming out, (and forced color schemes, looking at you, MSI) they can make a killing on them as an accessory.

I agree with this, especially the 'forced color schemes' comment.
    With all of the acrylic and tempered glass cases that are out now, it's obvious people are paying more attention to the visual aspect of the various components that are being displayed. When you consider that, it becomes apparent (no pun intended) that being able to turn a few screws to change the color of a component becomes enticing.
    Now consider that some are choosing components based in large part on the appearance, or more to the point, the color scheme of the component. For instance, they may want an EVGA FTW3 GPU, but it doesn't come in white (for the masses that is), so they need to look to other manufacturers. This does happen. More than a few Galax 1080 GPUs have been sold because they were one of the few (if not the only) companies offering 1080's in white.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/09 07:04:25 (permalink)
    Yes, i would buy a "naked gpu" and i think the K|ngp|n card should be sold as such to push the masses that dont need it away from such a card, but that is just my opinion since those cards are legitimately built for extreme overclockers.

The reason a naked gpu is never feasible is specifically becaude of those users that bought hydrocopper cards not knowing they actually had to provide watercooling to their card... they actually thought the block did the cooling without any water actually being used.. i know some are going to say that isnt possible, because there were at least 5 cases of it over the last year and a half where users posted trying to figure out why their hydrocopper card was getting so hot... I think in the end, this would end in many disasters, because the bare card would need to be tested before being included in a loop or any sort of cooler other than air.
    timmyboy04
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/09 07:28:05 (permalink)
    yeungster
    Good pitch. I'm liking the idea. Maybe restricted to enthusiast cards (ie. 1070+) so the average Joe doesn't fry the card by accident

Yeah, that would be the way to!
    RchUncleSkeleton
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/09 08:28:56 (permalink)
    I don't think this would happen, as some people would assume they can run the card as is and fry everything. Believe me, I've seen people do it with K Sku Intel CPUs, who assumed they didn't need a cooler, since it didn't come with it.

With Great Power, Comes Great Mistakes
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/09 08:37:21 (permalink)
    rshwayder

User do that now with HC Models

timmyboy04
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/09 08:39:55 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Yes, i would buy a "naked gpu" and i think the K|ngp|n card should be sold as such to push the masses that dont need it away from such a card, but that is just my opinion since those cards are legitimately built for extreme overclockers.

The reason a naked gpu is never feasible is specifically becaude of those users that bought hydrocopper cards not knowing they actually had to provide watercooling to their card... they actually thought the block did the cooling without any water actually being used.. i know some are going to say that isnt possible, because there were at least 5 cases of it over the last year and a half where users posted trying to figure out why their hydrocopper card was getting so hot... I think in the end, this would end in many disasters, because the bare card would need to be tested before being included in a loop or any sort of cooler other than air.

Hydrocoppers are still sold though. Not sure this is very different.

I do agree that it would make QA checking more difficult and also testing a returned card to make sure it is functioning. There would have to be an easy way to test them but that would be on EVGA to figure out.

It's like saying Summit Racing shouldn't sell engine blocks that aren't pre filled with oil or have an integrated radiator because some people might think it's ready to go. (Exaggerating but you get my point)
    post edited by timmyboy04 - 2017/04/10 09:30:38
    timmyboy04
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/09 08:43:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input by the way. Good or bad. I'm going to defend my idea but I get where some of you are coming from. There will always be hurtles to jump through but I think there are ways to.do it right to minimize any catastrophic failures.

At the very least, maybe we'll get shrouds and coolers to buy separately from all this because that seems to be something everybody can agree on.
    gipothegip
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/11 07:52:11 (permalink)
    I honestly don't think I would, but I'm completely fine with EVGA's ACX cooling myself. I'm not a heavy overclocker, and I don't plan on getting an enthusiast level card either. So I really don't need the cooling options.

I agree with Scarlet Tech though, this would probably be best suited towards enthusiast level cards and heavy overclocking. A bare bones 1050 would be kind of pointless IMO, but a bare bones 1080 ti would probably make better use of the custom cooling options.

Not a bad idea, but might need to be reserved for the high end market, as I think that's the market that would most appreciate the option.
    post edited by gipothegip - 2017/04/11 07:55:46

maxfly
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/13 03:19:47 (permalink)
    if evga just partnered up with block mannies this would be a non issue. id buy a 1080Xp with an ek delrin/nickel block in a heart beat.
    then again they will jack the prices up so high no one could afford to buy one lol.
    orrrrr sell the bare cards and make peeps take and pass a wcing test prior to ordering. keep those folks on record as wcing pros and wed all get rich building cards for people!!!! YEAH!!!

seriously i think bare cards are great idea especially if they knock a bill or two off the cards in the process. keep up the discussion folks this is a rare good read lately!

I7 8086K- MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC-2x GTX 980 TI
    4x8GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000c19
    Samsung 500GB 960 EVO NVMe M.2
    WD Blue 1TB- EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    Thermaltake X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
    EK Supremacy EVO Nickel- EK-FC980 GTX TI x2
    XSPC RX360- HWLabs SR2 420- HWLabs GTR 240

MitchWh
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/13 08:21:20 (permalink)
    If the price is significantly lower than for a normale GPU, then yes. If not, i don't see a reason to buy a "naked" card.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/13 09:40:20 (permalink)
    MitchWh
    If the price is significantly lower than for a normale GPU, then yes. If not, i don't see a reason to buy a "naked" card.

To put your own Water Block or AIO Cooler on it.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/13 10:15:43 (permalink)
    No, you need to test your new card before putting it in a custom loop. 

Re-Sale issue would also be a concern as it would appeal to a much smaller segment of the market --- the same segment that wants the "New GPU" that your updating to.

Your poll has too much bias, in that only one answer is No and it does not even take into account the issues I mentioned.

A poll with a simple Yes or No would have been better IMO

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

timmyboy04
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/13 10:33:37 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    No, you need to test your new card before putting it in a custom loop. 

Re-Sale issue would also be a concern as it would appeal to a much smaller segment of the market --- the same segment that wants the "New GPU" that your updating to.

Your poll has too much bias, in that only one answer is No and it does not even take into account the issues I mentioned.

A poll with a simple Yes or No would have been better IMO

Just slap a Hyper 212 on it to test! ;) I'll remove the poll later. The discussion is better anyways. You all brought up good points that I didn't think of when I made it.
    Cyphercitix
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/13 12:55:32 (permalink)
    no, moslty because i like what coolers comapnys have to offer, and how could i say no to the FTW3, it's perty.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/13 14:40:13 (permalink)
    timmyboy04
    If Nvidia/AMD or even EVGA or other board partners offered their cards in a "naked" option, would you purchase it?

I wouldn't.
    Daddyjaxx66
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/13 21:09:12 (permalink)
    I'm done water cooling GPU's, too much of an expense at 140.. per block and way too much time.  Now if I could buy one naked, most of the time issue is resolved..... 20 tiny screws and always one or two that just don't want to unscrew.  I totally agree with Cool GTX.  You have to test the card first.  Imagine all the time building and leak testing the loop only to find a dead card. 
    PascalD
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/14 08:00:13 (permalink)
    I would, as long as the accessories stay available long enough to resell the card to non-WC users. Whoever is buying those cards is most likely going to WC anyways.
    JJ77ply1
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/16 22:52:04 (permalink)
    This sounds like a product that would only apply to enthusiasts, and would need to be some kind of special order to avoid a casual user overheating it. Something like having a SKU number listed that could only be ordered by phone with a bold disclaimer stating that the product requires some sort of additional heat dissipation apparatus.

AMD Ryzen 1800X
    MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
    Asus STRIX 960 4GB SLI 2-Way SLI
    32GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200Mhz
    Samsung 950 EVO 256GB(OS)/WD Black 4TB
    Corsair AX860i
    Cooler Master Storm Stryker

rlb9682
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1049
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Survey... Would you buy a "naked" GPU? 2017/04/16 23:23:25 (permalink)
    I'd buy one; all I do is remove the air cooler and add a waterblock anyway :) 

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile