EVGA

Supernova 850 G+ - bad high pitch sound and excessively loud fans? (Edit: added audio links)

Author
ballardrl
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/07/24 07:42:48 (permalink)
Just got an EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 and an EVGA Supernova 850 G+ powersupply from the Newegg shuffle.
I installed both today in my existing PC (replacing a 1080 and a SeaSonic 650W PSU), and I've got 2 problems:

1. A super annoying intermittent high pitched whine / sound coming from the PSU, sound here:

youtube .com / watch?v=VTcIE-2ScL0

2. The PSU fan spins up like crazy under what I'd consider normal loads, sound here:

youtube .com / watch?v=fOozWYyXeH8

I started from desktop, then started Gears Tactics. At about ~0:30 the fans start ramping up and I'm past the menu screen and into the game.. By ~1:30 we're at full blast and there's barely anything happening on the screen, just waiting to take my turn. Same behavior when I run Flight Simulator 2020. At first I thought the GPU was super noisy, but no, it's the PSU.

Frame rate is capped to 117 on NVIDIA Control Panel, Gsync and Vsync enabled, all connected to a Alienware ultrawide monitor at 1440p. Nothing is overclocked.
GPU temp is ~50 at idle and gets to mid 60s when I start Gears Tactics.

So...is this whine normal? is the PSU fan going nuts like that expected behavior? Is there something wrong with my PSU? Anything else I should be checking?

I was into PC gaming in the late 90s/early 2000s, then took a long break. Am only getting back into PC gaming as of last year, so my troubleshooting skills are minimal and IDK**** to expect from these new video cards and noise. I just didn't expect the PSU to get this loud, especially when this never happened with the 1080 that I got from a buddy when I originally built this PC last year.
Any help is appreciated.
post edited by ballardrl - 2021/07/25 07:05:25

1 Reply Related Threads

nwills3000
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Supernova 850 G+ - bad high pitch sound and excessively loud fans? (Edit: added audio 2021/07/27 10:42:10 (permalink)
    I have the same GPU and same PSU with the same problem.

I couldn't get your Youtube links to work but it sounds like we have the same issue.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile