Author
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 122
2019/10/31 08:43:04 (permalink)
I'm Asking for Suggestions & Feedback from the EVGA Forums Community

I've been planning for a few years on my next TV upgrade from my current Samsung 55 inch 

The Samsung QLED Q7D look to be the sweet spot with the Current Samsung promotion pricing at all approved dealers.
Samsung 82" Class - Q7D Series - 4K UHD QLED LCD TV

Both Costco & Sams Club push the factory 1 yr warranty to 5 yr of in home warranty coverage & free shipping

The 75 inch & 82 inch are attractive, big & heavy.  I use HDMI to port the sound through my receiver

I do not have a home theater room & ambient light is an issue. 

1) these are 2019 models - when do the 2020 TV usually drop ?

2) Best wall mount system for this 96 lbs monster ? ---> Looking at the Kanto PMX700

3) Some TV model reviews seem unhappy with the current Samsung Remote / controls -- Is this an issue for you ? "OneRemote"

4)  Kanto PMX700 --> is there a Better mount out there ?  I only know of this because it was on the Samsung site ($264 with special discount)

5) Comcast does not offer 4K TV signal, so the Performance of upscaling is important to me

Feedback from anyone who owns a Samsung QLED, or an 82 inch TV or knows more than I've learned reading reviews (low bar here)

Anyone know of any special discount coupons that may save even more $$$ ?

Thank You for your input

(edit title remove 75 inch size - going with an 82)
(edit #2 title change  Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D  82 size & wall mounting & Calibration)
post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/11/03 16:51:21

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

RainStryke
The Advocate
  • Total Posts : 15872
  • Ribbons : 60
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/10/31 11:22:37 (permalink)
I just bought one of these. The panels on the Sony TV's are supposed to be some of the best... Mine isn't set up and installed yet, so I can't really give any actual feedback on it right now. The Sony 900 series is pretty nice, but their OLED panels are amazing.

The Samsung QLED TV's looked great but they wanted a bit too much... and that 82" model you are looking at didn't really look as nice as the other 80-85" panels they had next to them. I'd love a 9 series QLED from Samsung, especially since they can do 4K @ 120Hz. I didn't really think I would care much about the blacks when watching TV, but on these huge panels... It's very noticeable when you have a panel this large. That's what made me start looking towards Sony. -- With Samsung I feel like I know i'm going to get a decent user experience though... so if the smart TV interface is a factor for you, you should probably stick to Samsung.

The LG Nano Cell 86" TV they had was probably the best picture I saw when I was up there, but the price was $3200 the day I went shopping... If it were at the price it is now, I would have probably went for it.

If you have a Best Buy or any kind of electronics place that will carry these large panels, I highly recommend getting out to one of those stores and take a look at them to see what you want.Luckily I had a Nebraska Furniture Mart next to me and they display like 16 different TV's that are 80"+. Where Best Buy had a few, but not that many.

Main PC | Secondary PC
Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

z999z3mystorys
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4480
  • Ribbons : 23
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/10/31 11:57:31 (permalink)
1. From what I've seen, they don't release next years model til that year arrives, so maybe March or later (unlike say cars where the 2020 model is sold in summer 2019 or something) So I'd say another 6 months perhaps.
2. Haven't used a wall mount before, so can't offer any advice there of note.
3. the problems I've had with their one remote is that it may or may not decide to control other things, regardless of if you set it up manually (in fact for me, just letting it auto-control things work better than setting up it's universal remote settings)
4. same as 2.
5. In my experience compression does far more damage to the picture quality than it being at 1080p/4k, (and broadcast TV gets a lot more compression than streaming anything does when I had it anyway) because when I look closely, I see compression artifacts first, to the point where any other problems seem trivial (if I notice them at all) So I don't really know how well the upscaling works. Sure the new, better 4k TV looks a lot better than my Cheaper one, but in a way I don't think has anything to do with scaling. (the AI upscaling that Nvidia's Latest shield works very well however, far more than whatever Samsung has build in, as I can tell and improvement for one)
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/10/31 12:13:14 (permalink)
@ RainStryke

OLEDs do have great pictures; but, life & burn are reasons I avoid them.  I read that they are Best in dark rooms & ambient rooms are best served by LED

Too many stations have their logo constant On the screen ..... gerrrr & News station banners

Ive got a few choices & an in person view is the next step - thank you for sharing your observations - might go 75 inch if 83 looks washed

I also like the 9 series ...& 900 8K .... except the price $$$$$$

These Q7D have nice features: Direct Full Array 4X, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, 120 Hz, Motion Rate 240

Samsung link 82 inch Q7D

Do you plan on wall mounting your TV ?

@ z999z3mystorys

thank you for your reply, Yes - compression is a concern - I've seen artifacts that repeat when I backup the DVR

- I noticed the new Nvidia shield & AI upscaling  plan B for sure

- OK so your remote is ..... not a smooth experience ... is it a constant issue ... does Auto function OK

Comcast DVR box, Denon AVR-X3300W Receiver [On/Off & Volume] & ... new TV is all I want to control ... I can deal with TV on its own control

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 17474
  • Ribbons : 61
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/10/31 12:25:38 (permalink)
I have a Q7 series and absolutely love it.  I have the 75 inch version. No problems whatsoever with light from the windows during the day.   It has a smart hub that senses all my peripherals.   Picture is breathtaking.  I would get at least a 75.   The hub and the single small line that goes up to the TV makes cable management a piece of cake.   The only thing I wish I had is native picture frame pictures built into the OS like the next series has.   Which I think came out a year later.  I've had mine a little over a year.   Fast action movies do great.   Color quality is the best I've ever had.   If it ever breaks,  I would replace it in a heartbeat.    Prices are really good now on Q series.  

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/10/31 12:38:18 (permalink)
Delirious
I have a Q7 series and absolutely love it.  I have the 75 inch version. No problems whatsoever with light from the windows during the day.   It has a smart hub that senses all my peripherals.   Picture is breathtaking.  I would get at least a 75.   The hub and the single small line that goes up to the TV makes cable management a piece of cake.   The only thing I wish I had is native picture frame pictures built into the OS like the next series has.   Which I think came out a year later.  I've had mine a little over a year.   Fast action movies do great.   Color quality is the best I've ever had.   If it ever breaks,  I would replace it in a heartbeat.    Prices are really good now on Q series.  

Thank you for the feedback

I was looking at the 75 inch screen ones first - then my wife asks: What about this 82 inch one  ? I was shocked I'm like OK but the Q7D is better

Did not think she would go for a 82 inches screen.  You know the typical answer when talking new TV is : Whats wrong with this TV ?

So the good news is I just need to pull the trigger ...... and hope the Black Friday specials do not beat this price or offer a better TV for the same price

I need to get to the store & evaluate the picture quality firsthand

Anyone have words of Wisdom - about Calibration for the screen ?

Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/10/31 13:16:16 (permalink)
I didn't do much for calibration.  May of set the vivid setting.   82 if your space will provide for it.  Picture where your TV will hang..  How far back is the seating position.   I am about 20 feet back from my 75 and feel good about it.  I'd do an 82 at that distance too.   But at the time, the 82 was lots more expensive.   One other thing, if there is a black scene on TV,  you don't know your TV is one, its so black.   It's really neat you don't see any backlight at all 

dont' lay the TV flat when transporting.   always in the up position.  I'd pay for delivery for a TV that size so you know it gets to your door in good shape or they pay for it if it breaks.  Screens that size can fluctuate and crack if laid flat in transport

A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/10/31 13:29:57 (permalink)
Good point - distance from seating

Primary seating is say 12 - 15 ft depends where one sits -- Secondary seating in the great room @ 25 ft .... kitchen even farther

edit found these:
The science behind our TV size and distance calculator
cnet How big a TV should I buy?

I've been Debating delivery options:  #3 seems the easiest, I'm not in a rush

1) enclosed trailer (torsion axles) - still not the smoothest ride < 22 miles

2) Borrowing a friends "bus" the rear door would be perfect for loading, though I would need help loading that high up

3) Paid delivery to inside the house / free delivery - if I have to have the store ship the TV to me
post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/10/31 13:37:22

Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/10/31 13:37:53 (permalink)
I put mine upright in the back of my pickup.  I was on pins and needles for 10 miles.    I drove like an old lady.  worth it for delivery and have a couple of guys to help hang it if you are going that way.  

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/10/31 20:08:57 (permalink)
Anyone have any thoughts on the wall mount ? 

I have no idea if I'll need the full motion type - just thought I would keep my options open

PMX700
Full Motion TV Mount – Pro Series
TV Size 42″ – 100″
Max Weight 150 lb (68 kg)
Supports VESA 200×100 – 700×500
Extends 2.6″ – 31″ (6.6cm – 79.5cm)
Horizontal Offset 22″ (55.8cm) of total offset

TOOLLESS TILT MECHANISM

Effortlessly tilt your TV 12° forward or 3° backward with the PMX700’s newly designed toolless tilt mechanism.

SWIVELS UP TO 180 DEGREES

Achieve the best viewing angle regardless of where you’re sitting by swivelling your TV up to 90 degrees left or right, depending on screen size.

SLEEK CABLE MANAGEMENT

Four cable management raceways located on the bottom of each arm help to keep your viewing area tidy.

Product weight: 44.5 lb

Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/10/31 20:35:44 (permalink)
A tv that size. You dont need all that swivel stuff.  Keep it simple.  Ive yet to move my tv 

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/11/01 08:01:14 (permalink)
today I'm trying to make a trip to the local stores & see what these Screens look like in person

RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/11/01 10:29:50 (permalink)
Forgot to mention the wall mount... My 65" has a basic wall mount that can tilt a little bit, but not much. It's a real pain to get behind the TV and hook up anything like audio or a new HDMI connection. This time around I went with one that can be pulled out a little bit. The wall mount with the swivel was quite a bit more expensive and I honestly never see my self actually using it for this new TV. I can't wait, it's getting installed tomorrow morning. Just make sure you get one that allows you to pull the TV out a few inches, so you can get behind it if needed.
post edited by RainStryke - 2019/11/01 10:35:55

Main PC | Secondary PC

32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17

Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 75 & 82 size & wall mounting 2019/11/01 10:54:23 (permalink)
yeah, that's what I got.  the one that pulls out a few inches. 

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 82 size & wall mounting 2019/11/03 10:34:58 (permalink)
@ RainStryke
I checked the -  LG Nano Cell 86" TV - you mentioned while a BB.  The one on display had some dead pixels - Not a good first impression & I found many mixed reviews on line.  I agree the picture was nice.  Thanks for Mentioning that TV - or I'd have never even looked at it

The Samsung Q70 was a excellent picture   ... those Q80 are Nicer ... Not $1500 Nicer IMO

I confirmed with Samsung Support ---> that the Big Box Q7D is "Exactly the Same specs" as the Q70

My current 55 inch Samsung LED TV is 10 yr old (looked at Mfg date) and still outstanding 1080p picture

Going 82 inch size for sure (edit original Title to remove 75 inch)

Last Call for Comments & Suggestions ---> TV or wall Mounts ... placing my order is imminent

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 82 size & wall mounting 2019/11/03 13:10:09 (permalink)
Ordered from Sam's Club

Free 5 yr Samsung Warranty

Free delivery (Plus members)

3x Cash Rewards* for Plus Members ---> Cash back TV 3x promo = 6%

& even get the CC rebate

RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 82 size & wall mounting 2019/11/03 15:44:30 (permalink)
Cool GTX
@ RainStryke
I checked the -  LG Nano Cell 86" TV - you mentioned while a BB.  The one on display had some dead pixels - Not a good first impression & I found many mixed reviews on line.  I agree the picture was nice.  Thanks for Mentioning that TV - or I'd have never even looked at it

The Samsung Q70 was a excellent picture   ... those Q80 are Nicer ... Not $1500 Nicer IMO

I confirmed with Samsung Support ---> that the Big Box Q7D is "Exactly the Same specs" as the Q70

My current 55 inch Samsung LED TV is 10 yr old (looked at Mfg date) and still outstanding 1080p picture

Going 82 inch size for sure (edit original Title to remove 75 inch)

Last Call for Comments & Suggestions ---> TV or wall Mounts ... placing my order is imminent

The one I saw seemed flawless, but I know how that is... If I see a flaw on the display model it really drives me away from considering it as an option, cause no one wants to deal with a defective unit out of the box, running you through a return process that would be an absolute pain with a large TV.

I found the Wall Mount I went with: Here

It's perfect, I can get behind the TV if I need. It's holding this TV up with no problems at all.

My new Sony 85" is now installed and looks awesome. Just got it installed on Saturday.

Attached Image(s)

Main PC | Secondary PC

Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 82 size & wall mounting 2019/11/03 15:55:03 (permalink)
don't remember the cost but I believe I have the samsung no gap wall mount which does allow me to pull out the tv

RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D series looking at 82 size & wall mounting 2019/11/03 16:05:35 (permalink)
Delirious
don't remember the cost but I believe I have the samsung no gap wall mount which does allow me to pull out the tv

Oh nice, looks pretty good with it up to the wall that close. I see they make one for the 82"... Not sure if it's only for the Q9 series though:
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/television-home-theater-accessories/televisions/no-gap-wall-mount-for-82-q-series-tv-2019-q90r-q900r-2018-q900r-wmn-r30eb-za/

Main PC | Secondary PC

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/03 16:53:06 (permalink)
Thanks for all the Help guys

Now I need to learn about Calibrating the screen next. 

Does anyone know of a Good App that lets a newer cell phone do this ? (Samsung Note 8)

What is a good inexpensive kit - if such a thing exists ?

This look interesting:  How to Calibrate Your TV   &   Why TV Calibration Matters

Title updated again added Calibration & edit to fit title limit

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/05 07:52:44 (permalink)
This looks promising - though the wall mount looks a little small - may need to put plywood on the wall first to span two studs

Samsung    WMN5870XR Large Size Full-Tilt Wall Mount (76”+) 

Full-Tilt Wall Mount Designed for use with 2017-2019 76" & above Samsung TVs. Tilts 10 to 15 Degrees. Swivels Left and Right 20 Degrees.

Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/05 08:11:06 (permalink)
Cool GTX
This looks promising - though the wall mount looks a little small - may need to put plywood on the wall first to span two studs

Samsung    WMN5870XR Large Size Full-Tilt Wall Mount (76”+) 

Full-Tilt Wall Mount Designed for use with 2017-2019 76" & above Samsung TVs. Tilts 10 to 15 Degrees. Swivels Left and Right 20 Degrees.

That's the one I have.  I used heavy duty anchors at the four corners and made sure the center eyelets was secured into a stud.  It wont move and you won't need any modification.   Just make sure you find the stud, use the center eyelets to secure beafy screws and washers.    That one allows the TV to sit pretty flat to the wall, and you can pull the whole tv out if you need to and tilt.  But any Tilting with a tv that size makes me nervous.   

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/05 13:01:41 (permalink)
and the Winner is: Kanto PMX700 --> on the Samsung site ($264 with special discount)

Reasons:

1) Distance from wall not a big issue for me - my wall mounted Center & front speakers will stick out More from the wall @ 4.5 in.

2) I really like the idea of being able to move the TV arms up to 8 inches left/right of Center.  This should allow me to mount into 2-wall studs & still center TV

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/07 18:01:51 (permalink)
Wall mount arrived today ... that was fast

TV looks to be Tuesday ....

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/13 06:43:40 (permalink)
TV delivery - now moved to Thursday  .... sigh

RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/13 08:39:14 (permalink)
Cool GTX
TV delivery - now moved to Thursday  .... sigh

Nice! -- Make sure to really test it out when you get it. The wife and I have been watching a ton of Star Trek DS9 and I started to notice some odd backlight bleed through the whole panel. I found a black screen video to test on youtube and noticed it was really bad. It's going back on Monday and i'll get the next model up in replacement.

Attached Image(s)

Main PC | Secondary PC

aka_STEVE_b
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 17692
  • Ribbons : 69
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/13 11:12:39 (permalink)
RainStryke
 I started to notice some odd backlight bleed through the whole panel. I found a black screen video to test on youtube and noticed it was really bad. It's going back on Monday and i'll get the next model up in replacement.

Are you sure it's just not Ghosts !?!?   
 That is pretty severe looking bleed...

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/14 11:38:54 (permalink)
thanks RainStryke, I'll try that test

Still waiting for that pre-delivery Call 1/2 Hr before delivery by 4 ........ the day is getting late, at least it is above 40 again

RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/14 11:51:23 (permalink)
I'd call them at that point. They should tell you if they are running late, just as a courtesy, but not all delivery services do that...

Main PC | Secondary PC

RainStryke
The Advocate
Re: Suggestions & Comments Samsung QLED Q7D 82 size & wall mounting & Calibration 2019/11/14 21:54:41 (permalink)
Anything new?

Main PC | Secondary PC

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile