EVGA

Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, *Bugs discovered*

Author
EpicProto
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/16 03:12:01 (permalink)
So, I've had my NU Audio card for about a month now.  Only real problem I've had with it is how buggy the software is.  A new extremely odd problem has recently popped up.  I've been playing games using the card with no problems, although, now, no matter what game, LOUD in-game noises cause what can only be described as the exact same sound you can make when you blow as hard as you can into a microphone.  I had disabled my on board audio when i installed this card.  I've had to now re-enable as the noise this card is making is a deal breaker.  What's odd is that i can switch my speakers/headset over to the on board audio jack and everything is peachy, no issues, but when i can switch it back over to the NU Audio card it's like someones blowing as hard as they can into a mic when game explosions or whatever happen.  I've set both the on board and NU to 16bit/48kz.  Something is not happy on this card/driver/or software.  I am on the latest v0.1.2.3 driver.  I've tried troubleshooting with windows settings, wiping the audio driver and doing a clean install.  Is it possibly defective?

Please help.
post edited by EpicProto - 2019/03/16 22:54:58

19 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/16 10:57:42 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forum
    " I've set both the on board and NU to 16bit/48kz."  Are you using Both at the Same Time?

When you uninstall NU Audio Software also Delete the Folder in Bold below under;
    C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\EVGA\NUA.exe_Url_i3bl4qpffiqnvi2irerktrvq1mtu3bul
    The Name after NUA.exe_Url may differ. Then Restart the PC and install the NU Software.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/03/16 11:06:40

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

EpicProto
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/16 12:15:53 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Welcome to the Forum
    " I've set both the on board and NU to 16bit/48kz."  Are you using Both at the Same Time?

When you uninstall NU Audio Software also Delete the Folder in Bold below under;
    C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\EVGA\NUA.exe_Url_i3bl4qpffiqnvi2irerktrvq1mtu3bul
    The Name after NUA.exe_Url may differ. Then Restart the PC and install the NU Software.

Both audio sources are enabled in the sounds control panel.  I mean that, i can unplug my speaker 3.5mm and plug into the on-board speaker port, windows automatically switches to realtek audio, then i can unplug and plug into the L/R to 3.5mm adapter on the NU, again windows switches automatically to NU card. This was just for the purposes of an A-B test to isolate the bug to the audio card.

So i've done a clean reinstall of the software and driver with deleting that folder.  Will check back with a update a little later.  After thinking about it some more, this started maybe around the same time i started messing with the EQ.  I have an external Schiit Valhalla 2 headphone tube amp for my Sennheiser HDXX's.  Tube amps really don't like low end bass, and i had noticed some clipping on the lower end.  I turned the EQ on the low low side down -2 until 500hz recently before this problem started.  Wondering if the EQ is just buggy.  I won't mess with it this time and see if things improve.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/16 12:28:05 (permalink)
    Why do you have both Enabled?
    That is almost like watching TV with an AV Receiver and having the Volume on the TV on as well 

EpicProto
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/16 12:34:29 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Why do you have both Enabled?
    That is almost like watching TV with an AV Receiver and having the Volume on the TV on as well 

there are 2 sources enabled.  There is only 1 set of speakers, i can only ever hear 1 audio source.  I physically swapped the speaker audio plug from the on-board to the NU card and vise versa, again, only for the purpose of an A-B test to see if this audio bug was happening on both or just the card.  Again, it only happens on the card.  Previously i had on board audio disabled in bios and this is how i'll run it again if i can get this sorted.  

no update just yet, i'm using my pc for work at the moment.  Squeeze in some gaming a bit later.
    post edited by EpicProto - 2019/03/16 12:37:23
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/16 12:37:54 (permalink)
    The issue most likely is being cased by having Two Different Audio Processors being active at the same time with or without speakers connected to an output is all I mean.

EpicProto
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/16 12:44:49 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    The issue I most likely cased by having Two Different Audio Processors be active at the same time with or without speakers connected to an output is all I mean.

No i get ya.  This started when the NU card was the ONLY enabled source of audio.  I just wanted to reference a different source.  If the on board audio was doing the same thing then the problem would obviously be elsewhere is all i was trying to figure out with that.
    EpicProto
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/16 16:38:26 (permalink)
    Small update.  Working just fine!  After an hour of glitch free sound, i went into the software's EQ and did the same reduction in bass, -2 from 32-500hz, restarted my game, and BOOM, glitchy audio returns.  Even resorting to default in the software and even a restart does not fix the bug.  Now after another FRESH install of the software everything is back to being fine.  DO NOT TOUCH THE EQ!!!  

Low bass still clips a little on default EQ and the Sound Color Digital Filter doesn't seem to produce any difference for me, may be bugged as well.

This is Corsair level quality software, come on EVGA.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/16 16:45:29 (permalink)

Yep! I say away form it as well.

EpicProto
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/16 22:53:03 (permalink)
    So after about 4-5 hours of use today gaming, listening to music, and messing with it, i can CONFIRM that the EQ menu is bugged.  

So far, what i can confirm on my own with v0.1.2.3 is:

-EQ alterations cause sound rendering glitches
    -It won't remember your LED "Speed" preference
    -Sound Color Digital Filter seems to do nothing, it will save your preference, but dosen't seem to change the sound (may just be my tone deaf ears though, kinda subjective)
    -Adjusting volumes in main menu causes minor sound artifacting

This is on a z390 asus hero XI, i9-9900k, and RTX 2080ti.

Hoping improvements will be made in the reasonable future.  Kinda wishing i had went with a Schitt Bifrost DAC in retrospect.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/17 21:49:40 (permalink)

EpicProto
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/17 22:57:36 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    The or  ?

the one with Wi-fi, but i use LAN.  It was cheaper than the non-wifi when i bought everything, crazy huh?  Just looked them up out of curiosity on newegg, the non-wifi is $84 more, that's ridiculous.  Same features plus pay more for less, lol.
    post edited by EpicProto - 2019/03/17 23:03:18
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/18 00:38:31 (permalink)
    Even though you use the LAN port is the wifi enabled and on?

EpicProto
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/18 20:16:46 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon
    Even though you use the LAN port is the wifi enabled and on?

No, disabled
    GGTV-Jon
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 19
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/18 22:15:24 (permalink)
    In windows or the bios as well?

EpicProto
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, started recently.... 2019/03/18 22:43:23 (permalink)
    GGTV-Jon
    In windows or the bios as well?

bios
    thewait
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, *Bugs discovered* 2019/03/26 22:42:47 (permalink)
    EpicProto
    So, I've had my NU Audio card for about a month now.  Only real problem I've had with it is how buggy the software is.  A new extremely odd problem has recently popped up.  I've been playing games using the card with no problems, although, now, no matter what game, LOUD in-game noises cause what can only be described as the exact same sound you can make when you blow as hard as you can into a microphone.  I had disabled my on board audio when i installed this card.  I've had to now re-enable as the noise this card is making is a deal breaker.  What's odd is that i can switch my speakers/headset over to the on board audio jack and everything is peachy, no issues, but when i can switch it back over to the NU Audio card it's like someones blowing as hard as they can into a mic when game explosions or whatever happen.  I've set both the on board and NU to 16bit/48kz.  Something is not happy on this card/driver/or software.  I am on the latest v0.1.2.3 driver.  I've tried troubleshooting with windows settings, wiping the audio driver and doing a clean install.  Is it possibly defective?

Please help.

I am currently using a pair of Sennheiser HD 660 S connected with the 1/4" jack to the Nu Audio card. Through the Nu Audio desktop app, my Headphone Volume is set at 70% and Master Volume is adjusted as needed (anywhere between 10% and 50% depending on the source). I also use many different EQs to match the content i'm using it with, from bass heavy to default to V-shaped.

I found for my current setup, if i set the Headphone Volume below about 60% I get the exact glitchy noises that you described when playing music "as the exact same sound you can make when you blow as hard as you can into a microphone." Anything above 60% Headphone Volume "fixes" the sound glitches (I set mine to 70% for a some extra headroom).

With these settings I found that I can turn the Master Volume up to 100%, for example, and not get any "artifacting" or glitches.  I suspect that using the EQ "requires" a higher output power (Headphone Volume) for certain types of headphones. 

I believe you mentioned that you use the L/R jacks to the 3.5mm to connect to the Nu Audio Card. From my understanding the Headphone Volume does not "manipulate" the L/R jacks output. They have a fixed power output that might be to weak to drive whichever headphones you have connected to them.
    EpicProto
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, *Bugs discovered* 2019/03/27 22:28:01 (permalink)
    thewait

I believe you mentioned that you use the L/R jacks to the 3.5mm to connect to the Nu Audio Card. From my understanding the Headphone Volume does not "manipulate" the L/R jacks output. They have a fixed power output that might be to weak to drive whichever headphones you have connected to them.

I use the L/R just as a preamp out to my powered desktop speakers, i use the amplified 1/4" jack on the card for the headphones.
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, *Bugs discovered* 2019/03/29 10:16:58 (permalink)
    thewait
    I am currently using a pair of Sennheiser HD 660 S connected with the 1/4" jack to the Nu Audio card. Through the Nu Audio desktop app, my Headphone Volume is set at 70% and Master Volume is adjusted as needed (anywhere between 10% and 50% depending on the source). I also use many different EQs to match the content i'm using it with, from bass heavy to default to V-shaped.

I found for my current setup, if i set the Headphone Volume below about 60% I get the exact glitchy noises that you described when playing music "as the exact same sound you can make when you blow as hard as you can into a microphone." Anything above 60% Headphone Volume "fixes" the sound glitches (I set mine to 70% for a some extra headroom).

With these settings I found that I can turn the Master Volume up to 100%, for example, and not get any "artifacting" or glitches.  I suspect that using the EQ "requires" a higher output power (Headphone Volume) for certain types of headphones. 

Master Volume should be set to 100% (or slightly lower if you need to manipulate it in a game/app), and the headphone volume set second.  At 100%, Master Volume is the default volume processed by Windows.  Any lower, and you're asking the operating system to suppress the volume level, which might also suppress detail or cause other artifacts to enter the system. 

After all, an amp can only amplify the signal at whatever volume level it comes in at.  The harder you make the amp work, especially when you artificially lower the volume, the greater the possibility that other things could create artifacts or introduce distortion into the audio; this is the case for the NU Audio Card, as well as far more expensive amplifiers.
    tim62
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Strange Audio Distortion/Clipping with NU Audio, *Bugs discovered* 2019/09/27 19:58:45 (permalink)
    I have the same exact issue with games and at a certain frequency there is crackling/distortion. Out of the box with only changing filter to a slow sharp rolloff , this cards sounds crackly when apex legends characters talk or shoot weapons. I have the headphones volume at 75%.   I have the asus b350F gaming, Evga PSU 450bt and hd650x headphones.  I disabled hd audio controller in bios. Installed latest drivers v0.2.0.7(firmware ver .2B. Bummer since I was using this with my Elac debut f2.0/ 250w power amp system aswell and music. I would like that add that listening to thunderstruck from ACDC resulted in a poor experience( using foobar ASIO, volume @100%) in certain parts of the song when the drums are playing a deep bass note, the sound just clips. Headphones were at 60% power.
    post edited by tim62 - 2019/09/28 07:24:28

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version    10.0.18362 Build 18362
    Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, 3825 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 5008, 6/20/2019
    SMBIOS Version    3.1
    Embedded Controller Version    255.255
    BIOS Mode    UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    BaseBoard Product    ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
    BaseBoard Version    Rev X.0x
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile