Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
DamonDelp
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/09/17 14:25:19 (permalink)
I see so many comments spreading doom and gloom, predicting the "death of EVGA", as if any CEO in their right mind would intentionally destroy their own company. These commenters always get stuck on the "80%" figure that appeared in the PC Gamer article and others have mentioned on platforms like YouTube. Just know this one fact: Revenue/sales and profit are not the same thing.

If the profit margin is small on graphics cards, and involves too many unknown variables (price point/advertising/release date/quantity/etc) that are out of your control, it is not the end of the company to sever ties with this product.
Especially if the profit margin on other products dwarfs the profits from graphics cards.

Example:
EVGA reports $50M in total gross revenue/sales for the year.
Graphics cards are 80% ($40M) of that revenue/sales. From those sales, 3% ($1.2M) is profit.
Other products are 20% ($10M) of that revenue/sales. From those sales, 70% ($7M) is profit.
That means out of the total profit ($8.2M) EVGA earned for the year (to pay employees and keep the lights on), they're still retaining more than 85% in profits going forward.
And by removing the complexity of their unfair partnership with NVIDIA, they can repurpose their resources to focusing on other products that are doing well and expand their product lines and/or create a new line for some other product they don't offer yet.

So please. Stop the misunderstanding and the panicking (ie EVGA IS DEAD!).

I have a lot of respect for EVGA for making this call.
NVIDIA makes a good product, but we all have experienced their disregard for the gaming community as they enjoyed the sales to the crypto mining community.
NVIDIA intentionally manipulates availability to keep pricing high, and they are reportedly doing the same with the 40 series.
Let's not pretend NVIDIA cares about us.
Thanks to EVGA (a company with legendary customer service and warranty/upgrade programs) we know NVIDIA doesn't care about their business partners either.

Windows 11 Home (64-bit)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Intel Core i9 9900K (3.6GHz)
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E (LGA1151)
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32GB (3600MHz)
CORSAIR HX750i (750W 80 Plus PLATINUM PSU)
ASUS ROG PG278QR (2560x1440)

43 Replies Related Threads

AJ090
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/17 16:29:48 (permalink)
    First of all, none of us know for certain what is going to happen with EVGA in the future.  That said, every single one of your assumptions is likely wrong.

The Gamers Nexus video on this EVGA news led me to the exact opposite conclusion of the one you came to.  I've seen several people...you included...claim that "no CEO in their right mind would intentionally destroy their own company".  In that case, I guess you are saying that Andrew Han "isn't in his right mind" because IMO that is exactly what he is doing.  The host of Gamers Nexus even went so far as asking Andrew Han in his native language about EVGA abandoning GPUs entirely in an attempt to get him to open up more than he had during their meeting, and he succeeded to some extent.  Andrew Han reportedly said that dropping Nvidia (and in turn, all) GPUs "was about respect, not about money".  He also claimed that he wasn't retiring, but he also told Gamers Nexus that he "wanted to spend more time with his family".  Finally, he said that he had no interest in selling EVGA "because he didn't want the company to fall into the hands of investors who would abandon EVGA's high quality customer service and ruin their reputation".

What do I take from all of that?  That Andrew Han is literally READY AND WILLING to either bankrupt EVGA, or just close the company down himself rather than deal with anymore of Nvidia's BS, rather than retiring and handing the company over to someone else to run and let them deal with Nvidia's BS, and rather than selling the company to someone else.

So frankly, my personal belief is that EVERYTHING you just wrote in your comment is absolutely wrong.  I think Han WOULD (and IS going to) bankrupt EVGA...all because he essentially doesn't want anyone BUT HIMSELF to operate a company with the name "EVGA".  He could retire right now, hand the CEO position over to someone already working for EVGA who IS willing to deal with Nvidia's disrespectful BS, and let the company continue making Nvidia GPUs while he "spends more time with his family".  He CHOSE not to do that.  And in doing so, I don't think there is any chance at all of EVGA surviving as a company beyond the next year or two (unless they actually are going to start making AMD GPUs, which Han said they had no interest in doing).
    dragomirc
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 760
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/17 16:45:09 (permalink)
    Well, all AIB partners are treated equally by Nvidia. 
    So why EVGA quit first?
    Maybe because other AIB CEOs are more skilled, ambitious, a problem solvers, not quitters. 

And no one is panicking, people just wondering how their warranty will be honored, nothing else.

Also, people like me are just sad and nostalgic.
    Ciddharthas
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/17 16:47:57 (permalink)
    Yeah the fact that Han seems to think that they're somehow going to manage not firing anyone (which he explicitly stated) despite having something on the order of 200 employees with nothing to do now (I'm making that figure up based on the fact that EVGA employs roughly 280 people so far as I know), and zero plans to tap markets where those employees could use their services (which he also explicitly stated) does not exactly instill me with confidence that he is in his "right mind".  He also flat out told Steve Burke that they have no intention of working with AMD or Intel on their GPU's either.  Half of his statements don't make sense or directly contradict other statements that were made.  Even if EVGA survives, it will come at a great cost, namely a the jobs of tons of employees that helped make EVGA such a great company, which Han (based on his public statements) doesn't seem to really give a crap about.

Yes, it's true that if the 80% part of the company that focuses on GPUs wasn't making money because of Nvidia's crappy practices, then their *bottom line* might not suffer, but all the employees who will be out of a job will most certainly suffer.  While EVGA does have a (very) few other product lines, they built their reputation on and are known for having the best GPU's and the best customer service.  They might still be around in five years, but I'd be surprised if they are, and I'd be even more surprised if they're anything more than a marginal company unless someone with more sense than Han takes over.  If they needed to ditch Nvidia, I get it, but the smart thing for them to do would have been to pave a pathway into being able to do other stuff first that could utilize those employees, aside from a couple of keyboards, mice, power supplies... and motherboards that I'd love to like but that I frankly don't.  They might recover (and I truly hope they do), but I wouldn't put my money on it, and I wouldn't count on them recovering to the point where they're actually *thriving* at any point in the near future.

I was looking forward to getting an EVGA 4080.  None of the other brands hold a candle to EVGA's quality, so I'm not sure who I'll end up going with now.  I've been screwed over by Asus in the past and have lost confidence in MSI, so I stopped buying their products a while ago, but it looks like I might have to bite the bullet and go with Asus this time.
    post edited by Ciddharthas - 2022/09/17 16:49:30

CPU: i7 10700k @ 5.0 GHz with 360mm Corsair H150i Elite LCD cooler
    MB: MSI Z490 Meg Ace
    RAM: 64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 3466 MHz
    GPU: 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid
    Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i (1000 Watts)
    Primary Monitor: LG CX48 (4k OLED)
    Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Elite RGB
    Headset: Arctis Pro Wireless
    Mic: Elgato Wave 3
    VR: Occulus Quest 2
    ObscureEmpyre
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 972
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/17 17:21:38 (permalink)
    Ciddharthas
    I was looking forward to getting an EVGA 4080.  None of the other brands hold a candle to EVGA's quality, so I'm not sure who I'll end up going with now.  I've been screwed over by Asus in the past and have lost confidence in MSI, so I stopped buying their products a while ago, but it looks like I might have to bite the bullet and go with Asus this time.

I was and still am planning on skipping the 4000 series, but it begs the question of who I’ll end up buying from in the future. Like you, I’ve been screwed over by Asus and MSI, and I’ve had quite the lackluster experience with Gigabyte. What’s more, my bad experiences with the aforementioned companies aren’t confined solely to GPUs. And with EVGA bowing out of the GPU market, I’m beginning to question my enthusiasm for PC building and gaming on PC.

Returning to console gaming is becoming more and more appealing as time goes by. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if I buy just laptops going forward for the sole purpose of web browsing when doing so in my phone gets too annoying. I can’t exactly fault or blame EVGA, but the decision to abandon ship is deeply felt and it’s ramifications wide-spread from everything I’ve seen and read over the last 24 hours. It was good while it lasted, and here’s to hoping the market is still navigable going forward.

NotoriouS^
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/17 17:30:49 (permalink)
    ObscureEmpyre
    Ciddharthas

I was and still am planning on skipping the 4000 series, but it begs the question of who I’ll end up buying from in the future. Like you, I’ve been screwed over by Asus and MSI, and I’ve had quite the lackluster experience with Gigabyte. What’s more, my bad experiences with the aforementioned companies aren’t confined solely to GPUs. And with EVGA bowing out of the GPU market, I’m beginning to question my enthusiasm for PC building and gaming on PC.

Returning to console gaming is becoming more and more appealing as time goes by. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if I buy just laptops going forward for the sole purpose of web browsing when doing so in my phone gets too annoying. I can’t exactly fault or blame EVGA, but the decision to abandon ship is deeply felt and it’s ramifications wide-spread from everything I’ve seen and read over the last 24 hours. It was good while it lasted, and here’s to hoping the market is still navigable going forward.

Simple, buy GALAX

i9 10900K | MSI MEG Z490 ACE | EVGA RTX 3090 K|NGP|N Hydro Copper | G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz 32GB | Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 | PNY XLR8 2TB NVMe M.2 | EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 |

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/17 18:21:18 (permalink)
    NotoriouS^

Simple, buy GALAX

How is that simple when GALAX is not readily available in the local market? Do we just hop over to the Asian market, or is GALAX moving to the US market?

Last time I could find a GALAX, I had to live in Okinawa for 3 years, and their brand was fantastic, but it is not simple to get something that isn’t readily available to everyone.
    donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/17 18:54:07 (permalink)
    Do you know what it's like to be at retirement? Since Andrew Han forced Keith Rochford out after Keith built everything. Well Andrew Han has done very good for himself over the years. He has the money to let the company die and fall in on itself. He is done and made that very clear on the GN interview. Then losing a large chunk of revenue, sorry but it cost money to pay people who have been with EVGA for the past 10-20+ years. There is no way they can keep everyone on just motherboards and that department is dead in the water, power supplies, cables, cases and so on. If Han had the sense to start that off a long time ago back when he took over EVGA yes they could that is not the case. EVGA does not really make anything its all other company's products who make their stuff sadly. Did you listen to the GN interview at all? He is very done, not in debt, can walk away with all his money days ago and be fine. The fact he lied about Vince aka Kingpin are you really going to believe Andrew Han after that? Lying about the guy who made EVGA cards the best around that he has a plan. With Vince telling Patrick ummm no I do not have a plan I do not even know what I am going to do.

Next lets look at his statement they will fullfil warranty. Been over to b-stock as of late? The product pages? See the liquidation prices? I have. They will not have the hardware to honor RMA's for 3 years, let alone 5, 7 or 10. The fact they still offer the extended warranty right now is kind of scary and shady. I was going to buy my 7 year and kind of super hesitant because I know for a fact, they will not have 3090 TI's sitting around for 7 years nor will EVGA probably be around that long. The fact people's cards that have broken in less than 30 days that did RMA's and got a used b-stock card back when the policy is 30 days or less you get a new card. I have high doubts of support in the future. For the comical aspect of it lets say EVGA stays open with a small staff, with little products here and there. What are they going to call themselves? How about all the customers they can no longer help be it bios/firmware updates, they cannot offer a warranty to everyone that has issues because Andrew is currently selling everything to get rid of it for his walk away. EVGA's reputation will be tarnished, it is already bruised right now over this move as customers are going oh crap.

Andrew Han does not have the backbone or balls to stand up and talk to the community/consumers about the company his partner really built he took credit for in the interview. He had a closed door meeting with some reviewers no recording no nothing so the reviewers have to go from memory to maybe notes. He put poor Jacob out there to tell everyone on the forums. Nothing on EVGA's social media, their discord has become a zoo of angry customers, worried customers and trolls. So where is Andrew Han? Oh hiding like always behind his ego.

Sad thing is there is no going back now, this is the end. Nvidia don't play we saw that in the past when an aib toes the line.... Andrew Han is nowhere near on the level of nvidia to really do anything, nvidia will go ok bye, then the chips once allotted to EVGA will go to nvidia and their AIB partners who will gladly take any extra money they can get out of the once EVGA consumer audience. He should had put his feelings aside, appointed a board of current long-time staff to run the company as a board since he is not going to sell while he enjoys his retirement and family time. Showing up to make sure things are running ok, but his old partner co founder Keith would had been better at that honestly...
    post edited by donta1979 - 2022/09/17 19:20:31

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    paavonurmi
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 650
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/17 20:31:59 (permalink)
    dragomirc
    Well, all AIB partners are treated equally by Nvidia. 
    So why EVGA quit first?
    Maybe because other AIB CEOs are more skilled, ambitious, a problem solvers, not quitters. 

And no one is panicking, people just wondering how their warranty will be honored, nothing else.

Also, people like me are just sad and nostalgic.

I would guess EVGA quit first because the majority of their business is graphics cards and Nvidia has squeezed them to the point they are losing money on them. Asus, Corsair are much bigger and more diverse companies so for now that can survive Nvidia's thumbscrews, but I would not be at all surprised to see more AIBs get dropped by Nvidia. 

There can be some strange aspects to certain industries that people may not be aware of, that is the manufacturer has 100% of the power over the companies selling their product. I work in an industry like that and here are a couple examples.

Company A is the power house and makes the majority of the worlds widgets. Wal Mart buys 75% of their widgets from company A and 25% from company B. Company A goes to Wal Mart and tells them they need to buy 100% of their widgets from them and stop buying product from their competitor company B. Wal Mart says no, we like doing it this way. Company A tells Wal Mart you either buy 100% of your product from us or we will stop selling to you, and good luck finding a manufacturer that can supply you with that amount of product because we are the only ones with that capacity to manufacturer that amount of widgets. This is something that happened a few years ago,

Company A was really a division of an ever larger company and they decide to sell that division of the company. We now have the new Company A and they decide to literally fire most of their customers because they don't want to waster their time and money dealing with small companies. It's hard for people to imagine a manufacturer telling the majority of their customers selling the product they make to go pound sand but it absolutely happens. This all went down earlier this year.

Think about a supplier being in the position to bully a gigantic company like Wal Mart. Now imagine what a gigantic company like Nvidia can do to a relatively tiny company like EVGA. We are all super bummed about EVGA,
    especially those of us that were BFG users and found EVGA after they went away, it's familiar stuff to us.

I get the emotions are high right now but comments about the CEO not trying hard enough or being a quitter are honestly short sided IMO. If you have to lose money selling video cards then there is no future in it.
    post edited by paavonurmi - 2022/09/17 20:40:00
    RiChess
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3665
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/17 21:39:08 (permalink)
    EVGAs other product lines are probably going to take a huge hit. The only reason I bought into any of their other products was because they had me hooked as a lifelong GPU customer, that was the only thing they did better than anyone else. Every non GPU product I buy from them I'm more than happy to buy from another company. They've destabilized their reputation, and rightfully have people wary of how much longer the company will survive. Buying anything EVGA right now is a gamble that the company will even exist long enough to honor the warranty, and I'm not interested in making that bet.

Heatware Profile 
    Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus Mobo - AMD 5900x CPU - Dark Rock 4 Pro Cooler - EVGA GTX 2080 XC - G.Skill V 3600mhz 32GB - EVGA 850w - GS SAMSUNG 1TB SSD - Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/17 23:20:56 (permalink)
    DamonDelp
    I see so many comments spreading doom and gloom, predicting the "death of EVGA", as if any CEO in their right mind would intentionally destroy their own company. These commenters always get stuck on the "80%" figure that appeared in the PC Gamer article and others have mentioned on platforms like YouTube. Just know this one fact: Revenue/sales and profit are not the same thing.

If the profit margin is small on graphics cards, and involves too many unknown variables (price point/advertising/release date/quantity/etc) that are out of your control, it is not the end of the company to sever ties with this product.
    Especially if the profit margin on other products dwarfs the profits from graphics cards.

Example:
    Graphics cards are 80% ($40M) of that revenue/sales. From those sales, 3% ($1.2M) is profit.
    Other products are 20% ($10M) of that revenue/sales. From those sales, 70% ($7M) is profit.
    That means out of the total profit ($8.2M) EVGA earned for the year (to pay employees and keep the lights on), they're still retaining more than 85% in profits going forward.
    And by removing the complexity of their unfair partnership with NVIDIA, they can repurpose their resources to focusing on other products that are doing well and expand their product lines and/or create a new line for some other product they don't offer yet.

NVIDIA makes a good product, but we all have experienced their disregard for the gaming community as they enjoyed the sales to the crypto mining community.
    NVIDIA intentionally manipulates availability to keep pricing high, and they are reportedly doing the same with the 40 series.
    Thanks to EVGA (a company with legendary customer service and warranty/upgrade programs) we know NVIDIA doesn't care about their business partners either.

Some of us have invested a bit of time and effort into the EVGA community. So naturally those of us who have, and who have seen this in the tea leaves for a bit, are concerned over the future of EVGA. Others, not so much.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

turwo
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 00:43:30 (permalink)
    I got in the queue for a 3050 and I was never notified of it being available. Now they are not even in stock.

Glad I decided to stop buying EVGA a year ago.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 14:29:50 (permalink)
    moving to General Discussion

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Michapolys
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 199
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 14:45:45 (permalink)
    It's fine guys. Look what happened to DFI... and EPOX... and Abit... and BFG... and I think I should stop...
    post edited by Michapolys - 2022/09/18 14:47:03
    jackrabbit2022
    • Total Posts : 25
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 15:25:25 (permalink)
    GPUs are like a gate-way drug for EVGA. Those profits mean nothing without knowing the debt EVGA holds.

Being right is a good thing! And bragging about being right, is even better!
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 15:43:47 (permalink)
    In 2019 EVGA laid off employees due to poor business choices. You still think EVGA going to keep all 280+ employee's around after exiting graphics card market. EVGA has small motherboard section, re-branded power supplies and mediocre gaming peripherals left to keep the company afloat.

Michapolys
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 16:05:50 (permalink)
    MSim
    In 2019 EVGA laid off employees due to poor business choices. You still think EVGA going to keep all 280+ employee's around after exiting graphics card market. EVGA has small motherboard section, re-branded power supplies and mediocre gaming peripherals left to keep the company afloat.

... not to mention that most of the PSUs on their line are mediocre at best, with just a few good platforms standing out. The high wattage G2, P2 and T2 for example, and at least on paper, the NEX1500 that in practice was plagued with QC issues and the OEM, although well known in the PSU industry, ended up closing down a while after the NEX1500 was made.
    jackrabbit2022
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 16:08:16 (permalink)
    MSim
    In 2019 due to poor business choices. You still think EVGA going to keep all 280+ employee's around after exiting graphics card market. EVGA has small motherboard section, re-branded power supplies and mediocre gaming peripherals left to keep the company afloat.

OMG! EVGA has 280+ employees and that is all they make for profits

EVGA may be planning to go bust. I would like to know the level debt they hold.

Michapolys
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 16:10:16 (permalink)
    Maybe EVGA plans to go all out on the motherboard business again. They were known to do some great stuff like the x58 classified for example.

We shall eventually find out... sooner or later.
    post edited by Michapolys - 2022/09/18 16:11:51
    ObscureEmpyre
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 972
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 16:14:28 (permalink)
    jackrabbit2022
    MSim
    In 2019 due to poor business choices. You still think EVGA going to keep all 280+ employee's around after exiting graphics card market. EVGA has small motherboard section, re-branded power supplies and mediocre gaming peripherals left to keep the company afloat.

OMG! EVGA has 280+ employees and that is all they make for profits

EVGA may be planning to go bust. I would like to know the level debt they hold.

Supposedly, not much. I by no means have direct knowledge, but Steve (GamersNexus) mentioned in his video about all this that EVGA has very little overhead, and seems to be in a good position for a company that’s about to voluntarily go under. I mean, I hope EVGA doesn’t go under. I’m just not sure how they can survive, or at least how they can survive with the current level of quality when it comes to service. I’ve been thinking maybe they can branch more into the motherboard market, but then I got to thinking that every major motherboard company also has a GPU division.

kc191938
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 19:04:19 (permalink)
    DamonDelp
    Example:

People are only buying the other products (20%) because they bought a graphics card (80%). I have 3 EVGA psu's because I have 3 EVGA 30 series graphics cards.  If I had a different brand card or purchased from a amazon or newegg, I would have got a good quality psu there. The low profit items (graphics cards) drives sales for the high profit items they sell. Without the GPU's sales those 20% high profit item sales are going to be cut into a fraction of what they are now.  Think about gas stations. They don't make much on gas but sell it so you will stop and buy something in their store. If they stop selling gas people will pass by their store to go to a place that does sell gas. They are going to lose out big on other sales. 
    post edited by kc191938 - 2022/09/18 19:06:59
    jackrabbit2022
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 19:36:31 (permalink)
    kc191938
    DamonDelp
    Example:

People are only buying the other products (20%) because they bought a graphics card (80%). I have 3 EVGA psu's because I have 3 EVGA 30 series graphics cards.  If I had a different brand card or purchased from a amazon or newegg, I would have got a good quality psu there. The low profit items (graphics cards) drives sales for the high profit items they sell. Without the GPU's sales those 20% high profit item sales are going to be cut into a fraction of what they are now.  Think about gas stations. They don't make much on gas but sell it so you will stop and buy something in their store. If they stop selling gas people will pass by their store to go to a place that does sell gas. They are going to lose out big on other sales. 

Yup. Some people do not get it. Those GPU sales are like free advertisements (Gate-way drug) I would have never purchased and EVGA motherboard years, years ago if it were not for the GPUs. If EVGA stops selling GPUs, they are done. Even if they do not stop selling GPUs, I think they will be done in a few years. Other companies like ASUS and MSI are way to far ahead of EVGA at this point. 

Slapping a sticker on products is not going to work anymore :(
    post edited by jackrabbit2022 - 2022/09/18 19:38:05

charlesborner
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 286
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 19:42:05 (permalink)
    DamonDelp

Example:

But what if everything bad that's ever happened happens AGAIN, all at once!  And worse, TO ME!

#REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ryzen 5950X, Alphacool Eisbaer 420mm, ASROCK Taichi Razer, NVIDIA 3070 Ti FE, 3x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 64GB Trident Neo Z DDR4000, Seasonic Focus GX-1000, Total Noctua Fan Swap (8x Redux NF-P14S, 2x Chromax A20), 4x10TB WD Gold in Synology 920+, Thermaltake Core X9
    jackrabbit2022
    Flagged as Spam (3)
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 19:42:28 (permalink)
    Michapolys
    Maybe EVGA plans to go all out on the motherboard business again. They were known to do some great stuff like the x58 classified for example.

We shall eventually find out... sooner or later.

They cannot compete with ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte at this stage in the motherboards market. They are so far behind, it’s not even funny. Actually, it’s funny  
    post edited by jackrabbit2022 - 2022/09/18 19:43:45

DamonLynch
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 172
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 20:15:41 (permalink)
    Michapolys
    ... not to mention that most of the PSUs on their line are mediocre at best, with just a few good platforms standing out.

The decrease in PSU quality happened because of the introduction of American tariffs on Chinese made goods. To meet the price points that the broader market demands, something had to give. Either prices go up, or quality goes down. EVGA's choice was perfectly rational. Back when EVGA made their choice, it was easy to read the political winds in the US — it was obvious the tariffs were not going anywhere, regardless of who is in office. And just as obviously, PSUs are not going to be made in the US in the foreseeable future. The US cannot compete with Shenzhen. So welcome to the new normal, sadly. 

As an aside, my first EVGA purchase was a PSU. The local Micro Center literally had a wall full of them. I am sure I was not the only one. I expect EVGA to be around for years to come. 
    jackrabbit2022
    Flagged as Spam (3)
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 20:38:56 (permalink)
    DamonLynch
    Michapolys
    ... not to mention that most of the PSUs on their line are mediocre at best, with just a few good platforms standing out.

The decrease in PSU quality happened because of the introduction of American tariffs on Chinese made goods. To meet the price points that the broader market demands, something had to give. Either prices go up, or quality goes down. EVGA's choice was perfectly rational. Back when EVGA made their choice, it was easy to read the political winds in the US — it was obvious the tariffs were not going anywhere, regardless of who is in office. And just as obviously, PSUs are not going to be made in the US in the foreseeable future. The US cannot compete with Shenzhen. So welcome to the new normal, sadly. 

As an aside, my first EVGA purchase was a PSU. The local Micro Center literally had a wall full of them. I am sure I was not the only one. I expect EVGA to be around for years to come. 

Nope, they are done. [ Game Over ]

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/18 21:24:31 (permalink)
    DamonLynch
    Michapolys

Guess you missed where tariffs on computer hardware was exempt.

The US Trade Representative on Friday granted a reprieve to the increased tariffs being levied at China-imported electronic goods. The exemption, valid for one year until 20th August 2020, includes some products that will be welcome to PC hardware enthusiasts, including motherboards, graphics cards, desktop cases, "mouse input devices" valued over $70, "trackpad input units" valued at over $100, and power supply units that output more than 500 W.

Source

charlesborner
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 286
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/19 03:59:13 (permalink)
    MSim
    DamonLynch
    Michapolys

Guess you missed where tariffs on computer hardware was exempt.

The US Trade Representative on Friday granted a reprieve to the increased tariffs being levied at China-imported electronic goods. The exemption, valid for one year until 20th August 2020, includes some products that will be welcome to PC hardware enthusiasts, including motherboards, graphics cards, desktop cases, "mouse input devices" valued over $70, "trackpad input units" valued at over $100, and power supply units that output more than 500 W.

Source

Nope.  They know.

They're just dunking because it's pretty much all they've got.

Ryzen 5950X, Alphacool Eisbaer 420mm, ASROCK Taichi Razer, NVIDIA 3070 Ti FE, 3x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 64GB Trident Neo Z DDR4000, Seasonic Focus GX-1000, Total Noctua Fan Swap (8x Redux NF-P14S, 2x Chromax A20), 4x10TB WD Gold in Synology 920+, Thermaltake Core X9
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/19 04:44:25 (permalink)
    DamonDelp

Example:

How about you do you, and let others do themselves....? Oh wait..that's probably beyond your capacity...

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Stop Panicking About EVGA/NVIDIA Break 2022/09/19 06:06:20 (permalink)
    Please remember no direct or indirect insults towards other forum members. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile