Stereo/5:1 Audio Setup Question

Author
007vsMagua
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1705
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2018/01/10 08:34:17 (permalink)
I just picked up a pair of Elac's Uni-Fi UB5 [at (Amazon) ] bookshelf speakers to use as my front speakers for my home theater 5:1 system. I also want to use the UB5's in stereo for when I'm listening to CDs. The UB5's are 4 Ohm speakers and my center channel and rear satellite speakers are 8 Ohm. I have an older Yamaha RX-V371 5:1 A/V receiver and no mention is made about 4 Ohm setups in the manual but they do mention a 6 Ohm option. I've always used 8 Ohm speakers with the Yamaha and I'm wondering if there is a way to use the UB5's with some kind of workaround or do I need an upgrade.

EDIT: I did a little more research into Ohms and I guess my receiver should be able to provide some power to the UB5's, but I will have to keep an eye on how warm the amp is getting. Any recommendations for a good deal on 4 Ohm surround receivers?
post edited by 007vsMagua - 2018/01/10 09:09:39

"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to Sea and sink." _Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

EVGA _ GTX 1070 FTW2  ...  MSI _ Z270 Gaming M7 
INTEL _ i7-7700K  ...  G.SKILL _ Trident Z RGB - 2x8GB @ 3200MHz 
NZXT _ Kraken X62 / HUE+ / GRID+ v2 / AER Fans x2 / USB Hub
SAMSUNG _ 850 EVO 500GB  ...  WD _ 1TB Black / 1TB Blue 
EVGA _ 850 G3  ...  NZXT _ S340 Elite (White)  ...  Windows 10 - 64bit
LG _ 34" 1440p

9 Replies Related Threads

Tweaked
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10251
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re: Stereo/5:1 Audio Setup Question 2018/01/11 14:13:53 (permalink)
    There really aren't any 4 ohm AVR's out there. I have a top of the line Marantz, and it is only rated for 8 or 6 ohms. Now, if you have an understanding of Ohms Law, you'll know that you can technically put a 4 ohm speaker on your AVR, but you will be limited by how much heat the AVR produces under load, and potentially by a protection circuit which will shut off the AVR to protect itself. My recommendation would be to get either a pre/pro, or an AVR with pre-amp outputs, and then get a dedicated amplifier that can support 4 ohms.

CM Cosmos II Ultra/ EVGA 750 G2/ Z87 Classy/ i7 4790K/ 8gb 2400mhz/ GTX 1080 SC/ Upstar 28" 4K/ Windows 10 64
    JonnyQuestRacer
    • Total Posts : 30
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Stereo/5:1 Audio Setup Question 2018/01/12 00:19:50 (permalink)
    Probably cheaper to go the pre amp route, but you are looking to upgrade avr; if you can find any of these models they should work for 4 ohm: Onkyo TX-NR616, Yamaha RX-V771, Yamaha RX-V773, Yamaha RX-V673
    007vsMagua
    FTW Member
    Re: Stereo/5:1 Audio Setup Question 2018/01/12 09:22:55 (permalink)
    Tweaked
    There really aren't any 4 ohm AVR's out there. I have a top of the line Marantz, and it is only rated for 8 or 6 ohms. Now, if you have an understanding of Ohms Law, you'll know that you can technically put a 4 ohm speaker on your AVR, but you will be limited by how much heat the AVR produces under load, and potentially by a protection circuit which will shut off the AVR to protect itself. My recommendation would be to get either a pre/pro, or an AVR with pre-amp outputs, and then get a dedicated amplifier that can support 4 ohms.

What is a "pre/pro" and how would that work in a 5:1 system? I'm not sure my AVR has pre-amp outputs, and when I look at the rear connections on new AVR's I only see one red and black analog connection, so how does that work with stereo?

"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to Sea and sink." _Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

LG _ 34" 1440p
    JonnyQuestRacer
    • Total Posts : 30
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Stereo/5:1 Audio Setup Question 2018/01/12 10:11:36 (permalink)

This is the back of my Denon X1300W. You can see a separate label called PRE OUT at the top. That is the port to connect to a pre amplifier, which will then feed to you speakers. I think your AVR should have something similar. 

Not clear what you are asking regarding stereo, but in the above (modern?) AVR you just connect one of the speakers Front L (black/red pair), and second speaker to Front R (black/red pair) and you have a basic stereo setup with 2 speakers. 
    007vsMagua
    FTW Member
    Re: Stereo/5:1 Audio Setup Question 2018/01/12 11:26:03 (permalink)
    JonnyQuestRacer

This is the back of my Denon X1300W. You can see a separate label called PRE OUT at the top. That is the port to connect to a pre amplifier, which will then feed to you speakers. I think your AVR should have something similar. 

Not clear what you are asking regarding stereo, but in the above (modern?) AVR you just connect one of the speakers Front L (black/red pair), and second speaker to Front R (black/red pair) and you have a basic stereo setup with 2 speakers. 

Thanks Jonny for the input. My current Yamaha makes no mention of PRE OUT in the back. It doesn't matter because your recommendation of the Yamaha RX-V673 made me do some research. When at Yamaha I found the RX-V683 and watched a good video about it at YouTube by Yamaha put out a year ago in March. I'm upgrading my home theater and will eventually pick up a 4K HDR LCD Full-Array 65" in March or April when the new 2018 models come out. I'm hoping to learn more about the new 'TCL' lineup. I'm going to wait a bit on getting a new AVR and see what 2018 has to offer and maybe get lucky and pick up the RX-V683 on sale in March or April.

LG _ 34" 1440p
    Tweaked
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Stereo/5:1 Audio Setup Question 2018/01/12 18:30:42 (permalink)
    007vsMagua
    Tweaked

What is a "pre/pro" and how would that work in a 5:1 system? I'm not sure my AVR has pre-amp outputs, and when I look at the rear connections on new AVR's I only see one red and black analog connection, so how does that work with stereo?

A pre/pro is a pre-amp/processor. It is essentially the same as an AVR minus the amplifier section. This allows you to purchase separate amplifiers which last forever, and then just upgrade the pre/pro over time as new features come out. 

CM Cosmos II Ultra/ EVGA 750 G2/ Z87 Classy/ i7 4790K/ 8gb 2400mhz/ GTX 1080 SC/ Upstar 28" 4K/ Windows 10 64
    007vsMagua
    FTW Member
    Re: Stereo/5:1 Audio Setup Question 2018/01/13 05:31:15 (permalink)
    Tweaked
    007vsMagua
    Tweaked

A pre/pro is a pre-amp/processor. It is essentially the same as an AVR minus the amplifier section. This allows you to purchase separate amplifiers which last forever, and then just upgrade the pre/pro over time as new features come out. 

OK, thanks. That sounds like the way to go when building a high end system.

LG _ 34" 1440p
    Tweaked
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Stereo/5:1 Audio Setup Question 2018/01/13 10:43:35 (permalink)
    007vsMagua
    Tweaked
    007vsMagua
    Tweaked

It does tend to cost a bit more money, but 4 ohm speakers are very hard to drive with the average AVR.

007vsMagua
    FTW Member
    Re: Stereo/5:1 Audio Setup Question 2018/01/13 12:05:34 (permalink)
    Tweaked
    007vsMagua
    Tweaked
    007vsMagua
    Tweaked

It does tend to cost a bit more money, but 4 ohm speakers are very hard to drive with the average AVR.

Here are the speakers and arrangement I'm looking at. As I get on in age my hearing isn't what it used to be. I'm renting so when I'm trying to enjoy a movie later in the night I'm unable to make out the dialog because I don't want to turn up the volume. I either turn on subtitles or use my Sennheiser wireless headphones. I hate subtitles unless it's a great foreign movie and I just don't enjoy wearing headphones. The Sennheiser's sound OK but I want surround. I've read good reviews about how dialog in movies is greatly improved using the ELAC speakers and I want to give it a go and just want to know how to best use them. I want to be somewhat ready for the future when it comes to AV receivers and I don't mind spending a little money for the brain that will run my system well into the future.

post edited by 007vsMagua - 2018/01/13 12:22:27

LG _ 34" 1440p
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile