Step Up and future LHR cards

Author
nick_shl
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1073
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/05/20 08:00:44 (permalink)
Just wondering what type of cards we will get? Steve at GN said EVGA is changing part numbers for LHR versions. Both normal and LHR parts will be produced for a while.
Will EVGA fulfill Step Up queue with normal versions? Will EVGA replace part numbers we already signup for Step Up to new LHR ones?
EVGATech_ChristianJ mentioned:
EVGATech_ChristianJIf somehow the item is discontinued, we would look at what options are available at the time. However, this is highly unlikely to happen and would not be something I would worry about.
But now it doesn't seems "highly unlikely". And worse part is: it is not improvement(like step up to 40 series instead 30 series if it discontinued) when you'll get more powerful card... LHR cards less powerful(even only in one specific application).

Use associate code to save 3% on your EVGA GPU purchase! And up to 10% on other products!

26 Replies Related Threads

whji1991
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 10:56:49 (permalink)
    Not really less powerful is it. Likely it'll be done kind of firmware based restriction that can be bypassed anyway.

We'll get whatever they have in stock at the time, and personally am thankful EVGA even offer a step up program.

It isn't an entitlement we all have a right to, and most other companies wouldn't even bother and would expect you to pay out twice.
    Neutro
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 436
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 11:26:54 (permalink)
    You have some nerve saying it would be a step up to a "less powerful card" because of the mining limiter, that's exactly the reason why nvidia put this limit on the cards in the first place.

Since you're obviously mining i suggest you buy a CMP HX card instead of a gaming GPU and stop blaming EVGA for your nonsense 

I have a card i'll try to step up soon, and i couldn't care less if it's a LHR version. I just care about getting the step up, which is the real problem because miners like you are hoarding all the cards.

post edited by Neutro - 2021/05/20 11:57:57

9900k / EVGA Z370 FTW / 4070 FE / Corsair DDR4 3200 Mhz 16GB / Phanteks P600S / EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 / WD SN850 1 TB / Asus PG248Q - pix
    mizzer
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 309
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 11:59:06 (permalink)
    Neutro
    You have some nerve saying it would be a step up to a "less powerful card" because of the mining limiter, that's exactly the reason why nvidia put this limit on the cards in the first place.

Since you're obviously mining i suggest you buy a CMP HX card instead of a gaming GPU and stop blaming EVGA for your nonsense 

I have a card i'll try to step up soon, and i couldn't care less if it's a LHR version. I just care about getting the step up, which is the real problem because miners like you are hoarding all the cards.

Calm down, Francis. It's a legitimate question.

Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 * AMD 5900X * 32GB G.SKILL Trident 3600 * Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 * GeForce 4090 FE  * Corsair RM1000x PSU * 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe * 2x 2TB Samsung 870 QVO SSDs * LG OLED48CXPUB * Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
    Neutro
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 436
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 12:02:14 (permalink)
    That's actually my point Johnny: no it's not a legitimate question for people who buy their card for gaming and not mining, which is what nvidia wants.
    post edited by Neutro - 2021/05/20 12:03:26

9900k / EVGA Z370 FTW / 4070 FE / Corsair DDR4 3200 Mhz 16GB / Phanteks P600S / EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 / WD SN850 1 TB / Asus PG248Q - pix
    nick_shl
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1073
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 12:36:44 (permalink)
    NeutroThat's actually my point Johnny: no it's not a legitimate question for people who buy their card for gaming and not mining, which is what nvidia wants.
    You forgot about resell value in future. Let's say Nvidia will be able to make 50% speed increase in 40 series cards. Then 40 series card that mined with half hashrate will be 25% slower than 30 series card without limiter - it is good opportunity for "free"(or even with some profit) upgrade by selling 30 series card without limiter and buy 40 series LHR card.
    Another option: free upgrade to same series but better card. RTX 3070 makes ~62 MH/s, RTX 3080 makes 98 MH/s, so RTX 3080 LHR should make 49 MH/s. You probably can make deal with miner to swap RTX 3070 to RTX 3080 LHR for free.

Use associate code to save 3% on your EVGA GPU purchase! And up to 10% on other products!
    hashmeir70
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 12:46:46 (permalink)
    Nvidia should just have the cards pop a fuse when mining is detected unless on a cmp card.

It's funny seeing all the concerned crypto inquiries about the LHR cards. Especially from users that you see posting regularly who have not mentioned crypto until LHR was announced.

Also evga already stated they're merging existing queues to the LHR models when they production has fully migrated to LHR only.
    post edited by hashmeir70 - 2021/05/20 12:48:03
    mizzer
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 309
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 13:20:33 (permalink)
    Neutro
    That's actually my point Johnny: no it's not a legitimate question for people who buy their card for gaming and not mining, which is what nvidia wants.

He might want it for both.  And who cares what nVidia wants?

Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 * AMD 5900X * 32GB G.SKILL Trident 3600 * Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 * GeForce 4090 FE  * Corsair RM1000x PSU * 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe * 2x 2TB Samsung 870 QVO SSDs * LG OLED48CXPUB * Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
    bczosek
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 13:31:05 (permalink)
    hashmeir70
    Nvidia should just have the cards pop a fuse when mining is detected unless on a cmp card.

It's funny seeing all the concerned crypto inquiries about the LHR cards. Especially from users that you see posting regularly who have not mentioned crypto until LHR was announced.

Also evga already stated they're merging existing queues to the LHR models when they production has fully migrated to LHR only.

That is ridiculous. I want a new card for gaming. But I mine on the side with my one graphics card to pay for the games I play. Why should I be punished? 
    msromike
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 14:34:51 (permalink)
    bczosek
    hashmeir70

That is ridiculous. I want a new card for gaming. But I mine on the side with my one graphics card to pay for the games I play. Why should I be punished? 

You are 100% correct. You and the many gamers who use crypto to help pay for their GPUs with Nicehash or whatever mining they do. Putting artificial limiters on GPUs and selling them to the game community while CMP cards are being sold by the pallet to big crypto farms. The miners who are just using their PCs GPU to make back a portion of their GPU expense should not be penalized. But Nvidia has successfully pitted its customer base against each other for those who don't research. Nvidia is still making money off both miners and gamers and couldn't care less about anything other than their bottom line.    

No matter where you go..There you are.

Corsair 7000D
     AMD 5950X
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Series 64GB (2 x 32GB)
    SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2
    Crucial MX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA
    CORSAIR iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASUS 570X ROG STRIX Gamer WiFi2
    ASUS ROG Strix LC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti OC Edition 
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2
    For Development/PC Gaming/VR
    bczosek
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 14:39:48 (permalink)
    I understand why they are doing it. But all the companies involved should honor their pending orders IMO. You picked the card when you entered the step up queue, it should be honored.
    hashmeir70
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 14:50:22 (permalink)
    msromike
    bczosek
    hashmeir70

You are 100% correct. You and the many gamers who use crypto to help pay for their GPUs with Nicehash or whatever mining they do. Putting artificial limiters on GPUs and selling them to the game community while CMP cards are being sold by the pallet to big crypto farms. The miners who are just using their PCs GPU to make back a portion of their GPU expense should not be penalized. But Nvidia has successfully pitted its customer base against each other for those who don't research. Nvidia is still making money off both miners and gamers and couldn't care less about anything other than their bottom line.    

I completely agree with your comment. But I do have a question.

Once eth goes POS. What do you plan on mining?
    Asking for a friend.
    bczosek
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 14:54:57 (permalink)
    hashmeir70
    msromike
    bczosek
    hashmeir70

Asking for a friend.

I am just going to continue with NiceHash for now due to how simple it is. What about you?
    hashmeir70
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 15:04:03 (permalink)
    bczosek
    hashmeir70
    msromike
    bczosek
    hashmeir70

Asking for a friend.

I am just going to continue with NiceHash for now due to how simple it is. What about you?

We'll see if there is any profit once eth goes from pow to pos. It's not looking good.
    post edited by hashmeir70 - 2021/05/20 15:11:20
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/20 15:13:43 (permalink)
    just so everyone is aware, if you put [ spoiler] at the beginning of someone elses quote and [/ spoiler]  (no spaces inside either of the brackets) after, it will hide the massive chains of quotes and make everything far more pleasing to read.  You can place the spoiler brackets anywhere in the quotes to hide the massive quote chains, so that you keep the person you are actually responding to visible.  

Spoiler

This is an example.
    close

whji1991
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/28 04:57:10 (permalink)
    I got a non LHR 3080 from my step up and won't be mining with it (Y)
    Slippy103
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/28 16:31:08 (permalink)
    If you aren't mining, I would think LHR cards will have a greater resale value since it is pretty likely it wasn't used to mine.
    Slippy103
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/28 16:35:16 (permalink)
    Why can't gamers get in on the $$ while mining is good.  I don't game 24/7, so I could pay for my card/rig/upgrades.  The biggest issue is the sites like Amazon and Ebay allowing all the scalping and the cards that seem to go out the back door by the pallet load being sold to miners.  The retailers won't stop it, they get a cut from the original sale of the card and a double cut from the scalped card.  EVGA did it right(est), but there is still room for improvement.
    Midnightshade41
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/30 10:58:55 (permalink)
    Slippy103
    Why can't gamers get in on the $$ while mining is good.  I don't game 24/7, so I could pay for my card/rig/upgrades.  The biggest issue is the sites like Amazon and Ebay allowing all the scalping and the cards that seem to go out the back door by the pallet load being sold to miners.  The retailers won't stop it, they get a cut from the original sale of the card and a double cut from the scalped card.  EVGA did it right(est), but there is still room for improvement.

Because it adds to the mess.  Been waiting since December for step up due to miners and scalpers. Pure greed.  I hope cryto goes bust and people loose millions for the damage that has been done. I just want 1 card and the miners have 5, 10 20 cards, scalpers as well, its unreal.   There is a legit reason gamers like me are pissed as hell at miners and scalpers.  WE used to be able to buy cards at the store or online, and not have to wait months for nothing.  /end rant

I'll take a LHR card.  I'd also think those cards would be safer to buy on the used market too as you know it wasn't used 24x7 weeks at a time degrading the cpu, memory and capacitors. 
    vatrakk
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/30 18:07:54 (permalink)
    Midnightshade41
    Slippy103

Because it adds to the mess.  Been waiting since December for step up due to miners and scalpers. Pure greed.  I hope cryto goes bust and people loose millions for the damage that has been done. I just want 1 card and the miners have 5, 10 20 cards, scalpers as well, its unreal.   There is a legit reason gamers like me are pissed as hell at miners and scalpers.  WE used to be able to buy cards at the store or online, and not have to wait months for nothing.  /end rant

Do you think Nintendo Switches are being used to mine crypto? What about PS5's and XboxSX's? Can you mine with those? And Smart TVs?  
    Every electronics with a SoC is going out of stock because of a worldwide chip shortage that won't be resolved for years.  
    You were brainwashed by nvidia into thinking that miners are responsible for the shortage, when it's clearly not the case when you take 5 minutes to look into it.    
    The only thing that those new GPUs do is artifically limit performance, and make the 2nd hand market a confusing mess.  
    There is nothing "pro consumer" about that move and anybody peddling nvidia's bull**** should really spend some time improving their critical thinking.
    outphase
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/31 10:47:22 (permalink)
    I'll take an LHR card at this point. ETH mining is about to come to a close.
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11094
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/05/31 18:47:38 (permalink)
    outphase
    I'll take an LHR card at this point. ETH mining is about to come to a close.

Actually it is not, ETH is going to fork. There will be POS and POW ETH for quite some time to come.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Luke303gamer
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/06/03 13:40:38 (permalink)
    Just got off the phone with EVGA, according to the customer service person there is no plan yet. Literally said he was in a meeting about it and they are going to evaluate the stock.... so like this launch they made a announcement with out a plan.
    desmodue999
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/06/03 15:02:10 (permalink)
    Luke303gamer
    Just got off the phone with EVGA, according to the customer service person there is no plan yet. Literally said he was in a meeting about it and they are going to evaluate the stock.... so like this launch they made a announcement with out a plan.

thanks for checking
    MindBlower78
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/06/03 23:34:42 (permalink)
    First reason of this massive shortage : pandemic, electronical shortage in all domains (iphones, tvs, laptops).
    Second main reason : Scalpers (not new but much more consistent now).
    And finally last reason : demand explodes and dont you even dare thinking miners demand exploded most of it is from gamers demand.
    Miners are buying gpus for years now they never make any shortages by themselves.
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/06/04 06:23:40 (permalink)
    Luke303gamer

There is a plan in place to migrate the LHR into the Step Up and stock queues. There is nothing to evaluate about the stock - LHR cards will replace the current models and will be marked as such with a new part number. There will not be an option to choose a LHR card or not and we will exhaust the current non LHR cards until there is none left. EVGA customer service reps are only provided so much information but I can assure you we very much have a plan in place. 
    admgloval
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Step Up and future LHR cards 2021/06/07 08:02:32 (permalink)
    When are these things going to release?  Got a 3060ti lhr on preorder at shopblt for almost a month now and still no stock.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile