Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102251
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/02/27 01:22:19 (permalink)
Specifications of Intel DG2 (Xe-HPG) gaming GPU family emerge - VideoCardz.com

This is neither the first time nor the last time we will be talking about DG2, Intel’s first modern gaming GPU series now expected to debut later this year. It’s an important development in the GPU industry because the choice will no longer be limited to two brands. So far Intel has told us that Xe-HPG will be gaming optimized and high-performance series. It will take advantage of the compute efficiency from the Xe-HPC series, graphics efficiency from the Xe-LP series, and scalability from Xe-HP. The last part of this official information is slowly becoming clearer. According to the most recent leaks, Intel is planning at least two DG2 variants, one with 384 EU (Execution Units) and the other with 512 EU. A third variant has now appeared in an encoded message by @OneRaichu, who has leaked DG2 information before. Twitter users were quick to decode the message and reveal a list of potential DG2 specifications. From there we learn that there is also a third variant with 128 EUs.

This means that the Intel DG2 series would now feature three GPUs. This is a major difference from DG1, which only debuted in a single form, later accommodated for mobile and desktop form factors. The DG2, other the other hand, would a family of products featuring the same architecture. Intel confirmed that the external foundry will manufacture Xe-HPG chips. It is rumored that it might be TSMC’s 6nm node, however, neither company has confirmed this yet.

According to the leaked DG2 specs list, we should expect high-end GPUs with up to 4096 shading units and up to 16GB of GDDR6 memory. It is unclear which model the flagship DG2 model will compete with, but judging from the memory capacity, it could even be Radeon RX 6800XT or GeForce RTX 3080. The series would also be offered with 3072, 2048, 1536, 1024 cores. Those SKUs would feature 12/6GB, 8/4GB, and 4GB memory respectively. The GDDR6 technology was already confirmed by Intel, so we do not expect any of those SKUs to feature older technology.

So far only the DG2 384EU variant has leaked. It’s a relatively small GPU with a die size of around 190 mm2. We can clearly see it is attached to 6 memory modules. This GPU should compete with Navi22 and GA106 GPUs, both equipped with 192-bit memory buses as well.

Well Intel advanced graphics are coming. It also remains to be seen if Intel will have the same supply issues as AMD and NVIDIA. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

6 Replies Related Threads

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Specifications of Intel DG2 (Xe-HPG) gaming GPU family emerge 2021/02/27 07:58:34 (permalink)
    so far all this speculation has been nonsense as Intel Xe is found in their integrated graphics for mobile parts

intel wants to fend off amd in the mobile market

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Specifications of Intel DG2 (Xe-HPG) gaming GPU family emerge 2021/02/28 08:36:41 (permalink)
    veganfanatic
    so far all this speculation has been nonsense as Intel Xe is found in their integrated graphics for mobile parts

Xe covers Intel's entire graphics product gamut from mobile to datacenter. 

The DG2 specs are interesting... and would probably place performance between a 3060 and a 3060 Ti. Considering even a four year old 1080 Ti beats the 3060 I'm not sure that's a great showing for Intel's flagship desktop GPU, but it's a start. Only problem is there's no firm date if it launches this year or in 2022.

Have water, will cool. 
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Specifications of Intel DG2 (Xe-HPG) gaming GPU family emerge 2021/02/28 09:45:40 (permalink)
    More competition is better, if there were enough fabs out there.
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Specifications of Intel DG2 (Xe-HPG) gaming GPU family emerge 2021/02/28 10:46:28 (permalink)
    kougar
    veganfanatic

The DG2 specs are interesting... and would probably place performance between a 3060 and a 3060 Ti. Considering even a four year old 1080 Ti beats the 3060 I'm not sure that's a great showing for Intel's flagship desktop GPU, but it's a start. Only problem is there's no firm date if it launches this year or in 2022.

I was reading the benchmarks and I couldn't believe it. The 1080Ti Hybrid I have can easily go to 1911hz Core and 5500hz on the memory. 

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    castrator86
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 816
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Specifications of Intel DG2 (Xe-HPG) gaming GPU family emerge 2021/02/28 12:54:15 (permalink)
    kougar
    veganfanatic

That's the thing; it doesn't need to compete at the high end; it just has to be affordable and actually available to buy and they'll make money on it.

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Specifications of Intel DG2 (Xe-HPG) gaming GPU family emerge 2021/02/28 16:40:12 (permalink)
    castrator86
    That's the thing; it doesn't need to compete at the high end; it just has to be affordable and actually available to buy and they'll make money on it.

Except it's designed to be a high/midrange SKU. As best I'm aware the Xe-HPG 512EU is meant to be the flagship, and there are 5 models beneath it. And then there's the DG1 segment below that! So there's not room to have that many midrange to budget models when the flagship model has to be priced under $400 just to be competitive. 

Also, this is Intel we are talking about. Intel does not play in budget segments, they vastly prefer Apple-sized margins on its products. Intel already inked a deal to sell off its flash NAND to SK Hynix in a few years because that's a low margin segment to them. If Intel can't compete with higher margin GPUs they may very quickly decide it isn't worth trying and focus just on datacenter and compute applications again. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile