First off, I would like to thank all the people who gave me information (directly or indirectly) on how to go about this and/or supplied me parts.
My Dad for his tools, and his patience
And many more that I’ve probably forgotten. Thank you everyone!!!!!
Now on to the important stuff… So I first started gathering interest around the time when the –bigadv requirements changed. I saw how much heat was being given off by my gpus, so I thought that cpu folding seemed better for this.
4x AMD Opteron 6174s
4x Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Refurbs
4x 4x4 (16 gb) G.SKILL Ripjaws X CL 7 RAM
1x BitFenix Shinobi XL Full Tower Computer Case
2x Jars of Elbow Grease
1x Spare HDD
Ubuntu OS 10.10
Seasonic 850W PSU
Look at her in all her glory
After doing some Muskymodding, the first part of my heatsinks were completed.
In order for the muskymod to work, I needed to tap the holes of the motherboard with a #6-32 tap.
After I got the hole of the motherboard tapped, time to go to work on the case. The Shinobi XL is a nice case, and I wanted to try something different as I don’t like the look of the HAF932.
Since the motherboard tray was black, I had to get a little creative with marking my drill points. I decided to use some plain white computer paper, and I taped it to the tray. This worked out really well. I then decided to put the motherboard into the case to mark off the holes that needed to be drilled. In this picture, you can see the white paper behind the motherboard.
Once the holes were marked, they needed to be drilled and tapped for the standoffs. This pic shows one of the holes in the tray:
In order to deal with the gap between the tray and the top of the case where 4 standoffs were needed, I measured out the dimensions of my gap and cut a piece of wood to fit. This was then secured to the case using screws through the top grate in the case. Standoff holes were then drilled and the motherboard was attached to the tray.
This image shows where I am at currently as I didn’t have any TIM at my parent’s house. I tested the heatsinks for fit on the bolts, and everything looks good.
I will update this when I get more time and TIM. Also if someone can thing of a name for this project, I would love to hear it. Notes
1. I used tin snips to cut my shelf standard. This led to some sharp edges and some scrapped hands. Watch out.
2. When you make the base of the muskymod on the 212+, it is a tight fit. Don’t get frustrated, and remember deep breaths. This will help your hands, especially if you just cut them up on the shelf standard.
3. I would recommend using white paper to mark off the holes for the motherboard tray. Dark marks are easy to see and easy to punch for better drilling.