EVGA

Somehow killed a GTX 980ti with a thermal paste change?

Author
TheTechDoc
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/04/02 19:15:03 (permalink)
Hey guys and gals, so last night my roomate told me his EVGA 980ti was overheating (got upwards of 85 then thermal throttled back down, causing frame stutters) so I changed out the thermal paste with silver paste high quality compound I use all the time, and for a few hours it was fine, temps stayed at 71 ish, but then randomly it started randomly giving black screens, recovering and black screen again, then nothing at all.

I figured a bit of silver paste had touched something it shouldn't, but upon opening it it was absolutely fine, nice and clean and all, so just to be safe I removed the thermal paste and replaced it with non conducive white paste I use on consoles,

Well after a bunch of messing around etc etc etc, the end result is now that it will boot but either give pixelated display and then shut off, or the fans will go full speed and same, or absolutely no display at all,

I'm a repair technician so it's not like it's my first time around this area, the board is clean, I even took off all the metal shielding to see if anything got underneath, nope, cleaned the board anyway, put it all back together, same deal,

It's acting like a card that's given up the ghost and needs to be tossed but the card was working fine before the paste change,

Any ideas ??

Thanks!

Ally.

1 Reply Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Somehow killed a GTX 980ti with a thermal paste change? 2019/04/02 20:26:40 (permalink)
    Sounds like solder may have cracked somewhere in the PCB.

Disassemble the card and bake only the PCB itself like this (the oven trick) which should reflow any solder cracks that might exist and with any luck it will work again.

If you bake it, do it only with the GPU side up..200C (preheated) for 10 minutes.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile