EVGA

Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 181
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/14 06:48:58 (permalink)
Graphite8five
Superbxxx
ok man. Hope it helps. You dont need a whole day, just one hour or 2.

I'd had a look at some 1080 Ti FTW teardown's and I think it's just a matter of separating the heatsink from the board to get access to the under side of the heatsink, but would I need to replace the thermal pads before reassembling or just whack it back together? 

Edit: Were your loose fins around this corner section of the heatsink?

You can reutilise the thermal pads just be gentle. You need to put some new tim on the gpu. My fins were loose there and on the left side os the picture.
Edome
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 271
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/14 13:54:00 (permalink)
Anyone tried removing the fan casing and adding 2x120mm custom fans with zip ties?
You can also use Gelid 4pin VGA to PWM adapter if you want to control the customs fans with e.g. Afterburner.
Graphite8five
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 660
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/19 01:52:19 (permalink)
Superbxxx

You can reutilise the thermal pads just be gentle. You need to put some new tim on the gpu. My fins were loose there and on the left side os the picture.

Are you sure you can reuse the thermal pads? Could cooling take a hit doing so? I only brought enough thermal pad to apply a fix really but's if it's worth waiting to apply new thermal pad I can order some more. I know the heatsink can come off the card without removing the backplate but I'm curious to see if I find what this guy did! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD3DF5cFAJc 8:28

Maximus XI Hero, 8700K 5Ghz delid, EKWB Custom loop ,Dominator RGB 3400Mhz 16GB, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 EK Vector, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Asus PG349Q 34" 120hz G-Sync, Phanteks Eclipse P600S. 
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/22 13:12:34 (permalink)
Graphite8five
Superbxxx

Are you sure you can reuse the thermal pads? Could cooling take a hit doing so? I only brought enough thermal pad to apply a fix really but's if it's worth waiting to apply new thermal pad I can order some more. I know the heatsink can come off the card without removing the backplate but I'm curious to see if I find what this guy did! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD3DF5cFAJc 8:28

I am sure that you can reutilise the thermal pads just be gentle. Just saw the video....that was strange. I dont believe that is the norm.....the other videos that i have seen dont have that plastic. but give it a go and report back please.
Graphite8five
SSC Member
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/22 17:33:54 (permalink)
Superbxxx

I am sure that you can reutilise the thermal pads just be gentle. Just saw the video....that was strange. I dont believe that is the norm.....the other videos that i have seen dont have that plastic. but give it a go and report back please.

Hi Superbxxx,

I did take my card apart over the weekend. The FTW3 is not the easiest card to dismantle, there are four screws that essentially hold the heatsink to the baseplate/PCB and all of the teardown/waterblock installation videos I watched failed to even mention these. I started a thread on that here: https://forums.evga.com/FTW3-disassembly-confusion-m2724352.aspx

Anyway once I did get the heatsink separated from the baseplate/PCB unfortunately I could not find any loose heatsink fins like you suggested, I had a really good look but nothing appeared overly loose... While I had the heatsink separated I blew the high pressure Datavac duster over the fins to see if I could replicate the air pressure of the fans and the noise they make, but no, absolutely no type of resonance noise from blowing air through the heatsink... So I am of the belief now that the noise is somehow electrical related possibly caused by the card or the fans themselves...

I got to applying new TIM (NT-H1) an reassembling. I also removed the backplate's to check the thermal pads didn't have plastic still on them! But no mine did not. That guy must have been unlucky! I'm surprised something like that passed through QC also! The NT-H1 didn't provide me with any better temps which was a bit disappointing but I think I am going to do this again and this time apply Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut...

So no joy for me with the fan noise...

Edit: Hmm not so sure about Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, bit risky that one, will have to think about it...

post edited by Graphite8five - 2017/10/23 04:02:36

Maximus XI Hero, 8700K 5Ghz delid, EKWB Custom loop ,Dominator RGB 3400Mhz 16GB, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 EK Vector, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Asus PG349Q 34" 120hz G-Sync, Phanteks Eclipse P600S. 
Graphite8five
SSC Member
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/22 23:42:43 (permalink)
I really wonder if this noise is the noise of bad fan bearings, the noise is completely isolated to the fan itself and and has nothing to do with whether the card is under load or not.

Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/23 15:40:35 (permalink)
Graphite8five
Superbxxx

Hi Superbxxx,

I did take my card apart over the weekend. The FTW3 is not the easiest card to dismantle, there are four screws that essentially hold the heatsink to the baseplate/PCB and all of the teardown/waterblock installation videos I watched failed to even mention these. I started a thread on that here: https://forums.evga.com/FTW3-disassembly-confusion-m2724352.aspx

Anyway once I did get the heatsink separated from the baseplate/PCB unfortunately I could not find any loose heatsink fins like you suggested, I had a really good look but nothing appeared overly loose... While I had the heatsink separated I blew the high pressure Datavac duster over the fins to see if I could replicate the air pressure of the fans and the noise they make, but no, absolutely no type of resonance noise from blowing air through the heatsink... So I am of the belief now that the noise is somehow electrical related possibly caused by the card or the fans themselves...

I got to applying new TIM (NT-H1) an reassembling. I also removed the backplate's to check the thermal pads didn't have plastic still on them! But no mine did not. That guy must have been unlucky! I'm surprised something like that passed through QC also! The NT-H1 didn't provide me with any better temps which was a bit disappointing but I think I am going to do this again and this time apply Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut...

So no joy for me with the fan noise...

Edit: Hmm not so sure about Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, bit risky that one, will have to think about it...

Hi there.

At least you tried to solve it. If it is a fan you can experiment whith the precision x slow down/turn up one of the fan individualy( try to do it on idle....for obvias reasons) and see if that fan makes noise.

Can you try that?

Ps: The NT-H1 didn't provide  any better temps at all? that is strange.....do not put mutch of it, i use mx-4 whem i change my tim and i see benefits (maybe i have cards that had a lot of tim/not so grreat tim). In respect to the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut beware that it is electrical conductive..... i personaly dont like but if you are willing to risk it go for it. 
Graphite8five
SSC Member
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/23 17:46:02 (permalink)
Yes I can turn individual fans up when the card is idling to make the noise, e.g. I can turn the MEM fan up to 65% where noise is the worst regardless if the card is under load or not. So the noise appears to be directly related to the fans themselves...

No, temps are almost identical to the stock paste, maybe even +1C or so. Maybe I put too much on. One guy said GPU's need more TIM than CPU's and I ended up doing an X with a + through the X. It probably ended up being a think layer. 

A 7C drop with the Conductonaut sounded exciting but the more I read about the risks I'm not so sure. Is this stuff just as risky on CPU's as well? Gelid GC Extreme seems to be quite a popular one that could gain me some lower temps. I can easily get some of that and I'm happy to re-paste again... I can also get Coollaboratory liquid Ultra but that's another liquid metal probably just as risky as the Conductonaut.

CSN7
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 325
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/25 08:54:18 (permalink)
Graphite8five
_Gir_
Obviously doesn't sound normal
Some thoughts-
Is this an open bench/case?
Did you check each fan individually?
If you pinch down on the cooler against the PCB does the noise change?

No it's not normal.

No, everything is installed inside a Corsair Obsidian 450D... Check each fan individually for what? They do hum individually from each other so it is not a rpm imbalance between the fans causing the noise... Do you mean apply pressure on the shroud towards the PCB? Slight pressure on the shroud doesn't seem to alleviate the hum. I will try to upload a video.

Edit: I captured the humming in this video and it is just the MEM fan running on it's own. I am adjusting the rpm in 1% increments where the tone changes slightly and sometimes adjusting to a rpm % where the hum drops away.

https://www.youtube.com/w...4&feature=youtu.be

MY CARD HAS THE EXACT SAME ISSUE!
Humming sound at certain rpm that is driving me nuts. I let EVGA Support know about it and send them 2 recordings upon request. But they fail to acknowledge it! I admit I don't have good recording equipment that picks those frequencies up very well. I guess it's hard to pick out the sound from a suboptimal recording. But for customers like us who sit next to it it's very easy to pick it out. Actually live in person the frequencies can easily be heard 2m away from my pc and it sticks in my head. Also it happens @ low rpm for me (around 1200rpm on the power-fan) when the cooler should be virtually silent. It's clearly a bearing defect on one fan. I've send a better recording to the EVGA support but a reply is still pending.

Even a German review site noticed the same issue on their review sample. (Source: https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-ftw3-elite-test/2/#abschnitt_fazit )

Translation:
"However, the left-mounted fan produces a quite unpleasant noise when changing the speed, which is not visible in the measurement series, but is immediately audible. The two other fans do not have this sound. If the speed remains constant, the noise characteristic is normalized. Thus, it is conceivable that it is a "Montagsmodell". According to EVGA, the phenomenon should not occur. In the next few days, a second copy will arrive at the editorial office in order to get to the bottom of the problem."

The answer I got from EVGA support however was ridiculous: "Fan sound is normal @100% fanspeed" Seriously? I had to laugh but then I got pissed. Not that they think I can't tell the difference between normal fansound at high rpm and an issue with the fan at low rpm after I owned plenty (EVGA) GPUs. No I got pissed that they didn't read my mail properly. I specified exactly at which rpm and fanspeed percentages it occures (32%). In the first recording I did 1% increments until the humming started and beyond until it disappeard and back down(between 25%-35%). In the second recording I let the normal fancurve do it's thing applied light load with gpu-z and let the fans spin up and back down (the humming is actually worse when the rpm are coming back down).

On a sidenote my card also hangs on boot every 1 out of 3 attempts (at gpu initialisation). And windows won't even load. So there is something off, too.

After hearing all the praise about the customer support it's actually my first time dealing with the EVGA support, so far it's been a mixed bag... Needless to say the card needs to be exchanged. 
post edited by Snipes7 - 2017/10/25 09:15:53
Graphite8five
SSC Member
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/26 01:57:01 (permalink)
Hi Snipes7,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It becomes clearer and clearer that this issue is widespread and I think"Montagsmodell" about sums it up. Something was seriously overlooked during the design and QC stages. I'll admit I still have no idea exactly what is making the noise but I also suspect a fan/bearing issue. I just wish EVGA would take this a lot more seriously as I think some explanation is owed to us consumers... 

My MEM fan also makes the humming as it sits right on 30% or 1100 rpm using the default quiet curve, it also makes a loud whirring hum as it suddenly drops down in revs from a higher rpm. 

"According to EVGA, the phenomenon should not occur. In the next few days, a second copy will arrive at the editorial office in order to get to the bottom of the problem."

I'm curious about this, EVGA say's the phenomenon should not occur? What is the phenomenon and why is it occurring? I would love to know what the outcome was with the "second copy"...

I'm not sure about your issue with the card hanging on boot, have you tried clean installing drivers? 

I also requested a replacement but received a card with the exact same issue, can EVGA please provide some answers...

CSN7
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 325
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2017/10/26 08:05:18 (permalink)
Well the hang on boot does happen every time now. It is probably not driver related, because windows doesn't boot at all. My drivers and software are always up to date. I suspect a bios thing if any.

Man I feel you, new card same thing is frustrating... maybe something with their new fan batch or they changed the manufacturer, there could be many things. But it seems like one fan which could be any, is making this unpleasant noise. Hopefully they fix this for later batches of the card. Probably many users won't even notice this and think it's normal if  they don't have a reference. I'll get a new one and I'll report back. Fingers crossed.
post edited by Snipes7 - 2017/10/26 08:38:49
Nellee
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2018/02/04 16:25:42 (permalink)
I have been experiencing the same issue with EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti. As it is my rig has developed some other problems . I was going to take this card out and put it in a new rig but now I think I'll just get something different. The noise really is a too much. Lving in a flat with thin walls I would not be surprised if the neighbours can hear it. Anyway, if there was an easy solution I would take it but I think I will cut my losses and avoid buying similar. Can anyone recommend a simialr card that is not noisy ?
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2018/02/04 16:57:07 (permalink)
Nellee
I have been experiencing the same issue with EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti. As it is my rig has developed some other problems . I was going to take this card out and put it in a new rig but now I think I'll just get something different. The noise really is a too much. Lving in a flat with thin walls I would not be surprised if the neighbours can hear it. Anyway, if there was an easy solution I would take it but I think I will cut my losses and avoid buying similar. Can anyone recommend a simialr card that is not noisy ?

Need a better idea of what card you have first.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
Graphite8five
SSC Member
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2018/02/04 17:06:07 (permalink)
Hi Nellee,

What case and fans do you have? I'm curious if there is any relation in the case/fans to the resonance theory that EVGA claim this is.

What season is it where you live currently? After running some benchmarks recently I wanted to use as much fan speed as possible and I set the fans to 80% fixed. At first you might think that is really loud but to my surprise at this speed after running a bit it becomes more of subtle white noise. Between 70-80% it also has this white noise sound. I haven't heard any graphics cards fans run at that level that aren't screaming/whining loud. EVGA has done something good at this upper half fan level, it is just a shame the lower half is flawed. 

I would suggest next time you game to run the fans fixed at 70-80%, put your headphones on and it should appear as a subtle white noise. The bonus is better temps too. I agree though, something is seriously flawed in the lower to middle half of the fan rpm scale on this card, the noise is atrocious. I really hoped that EVGA would acknowledge this but nothing yet. 

Try to run your fans fixed at 60% or above 70%, between 60-70% is where that horrid noise occurs for me. You could buy the FTW3 Hybrid waterblock and stick that on. I don't know much about it but could be an idea... 

https://www.evga.com/prod...aspx?pn=400-HY-5698-B1

dadnjesse
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 127
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Solution to 1080 Ti FTW3 high pitch fan noise? 2018/02/04 17:48:37 (permalink)

Custom EK water cooled
Evga Z590 Dark
Water cooled Intel I9-11900k
Evga 3090 FTW3 Ultra  EK Quantum Water block
Evga P2 Platnium 1300 watt PSU
Samsung M.2 980 pro SSD 
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
G.Skill Trident Royal Elite 32 GB DDR4 4800
Asus Rog PG279Q 27" Monitor

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile