EVGA

Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974)

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
fish998
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2015/08/08 21:06:43 (permalink)
Another 2974-KR owner here with the black-screen (followed by PC auto-reset) on that balcony in Witcher 3.  Only thing that stops it is running the fan a lot quicker, but it's way noisier than I'm willing to put up with.  I've tried provoking the same reset with other games/benchmarks, but so far I've only seen Witcher 3 push the card hard enough to cause it.
war4peace
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2015/08/18 13:32:29 (permalink)
I updated my firmware to BIOS #4 - let's see if this solves my Witcher 3 issue.
war4peace
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2015/08/19 13:29:05 (permalink)
...And it didn't.
Still got a reset while fighting a Royal Wyvern during some mission.

Should I get a RMA?
Hawtkward
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2015/09/01 05:07:29 (permalink)
Hello there. Got a really wierd problem, havn't seen someone feedback'd it yet.

Tried all bios versions from thread, made everything exactly following instructions, even tried different versions of nvflash software. Primary VGA is PCIE in bios setup.

BUT:
After last step, when i have to activate gpu and restart system, after reboot i have black screen, no beeps from m/b, 15-20 second later my devices (keyboard, mouse) get power (led activates on all devices), and 5-10 seconds after i see the "signal not found" alert on the display.

So after that i rolled back to original bios, and i'm literally forced to use it atm.

Any suggestions? Maybe anyone had this problem?

Edit: seems like CMOS clearing and/or this bios manipulating helped me with the primary problem - i dont have black screens+game crashes anymore, tested on gta 5 and witcher 3, + ~5h tests via heavy benchmarks.

But i'm still not able to apply these custom bioses, and that's kinda sad. :(
post edited by Hawtkward - 2015/09/12 03:05:20
jamelgo98
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2015/09/11 15:00:14 (permalink)
Hawtkward
Hello there. Got a really wierd problem, havn't seen someone feedback'd it yet.

Tried all bios versions from thread, made everything exactly following instructions, even tried different versions of nvflash software. Primary VGA is PCIE in bios setup.

BUT:
After last step, when i have to activate gpu and restart system, after reboot i have black screen, no beeps from m/b, 15-20 second later my devices (keyboard, mouse) get power (led activates on all devices), and 5-10 seconds after i see the "signal not found" alert on the display.

So after that i rolled back to original bios, and i'm literally forced to use it atm.

Any suggestions? Maybe anyone had this problem?

How did you install the original bios after getting the black screen? I tried to install the Bios 1 and also get "signal not found" after restart. I attempt to start with the onboard graphic card ( I unplugged the 970's power pci-e conection ) but I get the same message. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I fixed it.
post edited by jamelgo98 - 2015/09/12 02:30:25
suli1991
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2015/12/07 09:39:30 (permalink)
flexy123
DISCLAIMER: This is not an official, EVGA approved fix/BIOS. Please use at your own risk! Flashing your card's BIOS always has a small risk that something might go wrong. Be sure you know what you're doing, especially how you would "unbrick" your card should something go wrong. I can not be held responsible should anything go wrong.

After lots of investigation and sharing experiences with others I/we concluded that the "Black Screen, needs PC reset" problem is because of that some cards, among them GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 cannot handle the overall load/power draw. (It's not so much a matter of that an overclock is not stable since those crashes are different, in those cases the driver crashes and the system can recover).

I found that the black screen issue can be solved by limiting the maximum voltage the card is using at it's maximum speed.
(In fact, my SC ACX2.0 does 1506 stable, tested, at 1.187V. Since my-2974 GTX ACX 2.0 is a very average card with ASIC quality 70% I have reason to believe that the fix should work for MOST -2974 cards)

The 1.187V - as compared to 1.212V or 1.200V (as would be the max voltage with the original bios) draws less power, prevents black screens, reduces temps and throttling.

If you have the black screen problem and want to save yourself a RMA, I can help you if you are comfortable flashing BIOS and know how to do this. Of course you would flash your cards bios at your own risk. Don't flash if you would not know how to unbrick your card again should a flash go wrong! And obviously this is only for EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 -2974 cards!

The BIOS here have more advantages:

* 1506 overclock without throttling
* Power Target increased to default 196W (from the stock 170W)
* The problem with instability at lower clocks is gone. (NEVER overclock those card's (-2974 models) core clock with Afterburner. Since you cannot add voltage with Afterburner, overclocking the core with Afterburner means that the entire voltage table won't be correct which results in instability at lower clocks). With my BIOS, this problem is solved, the clocks and voltages scale properly.
* No throttling due to "Voltage Limit" since the max. 1.212V which are specified in the BIOS are never used

Those BIOS also work great as general BIOS for your card, whether you have the black screen problem or not. As compared to some other modded BIOS out there, boost is not disabled and the card's voltages scale properly.

BIOS 1) (Try this first)
1506 clock at 1.200V

BIOS 2)
1506 clock at 1.187V (this might only work with cards with very high ASIC, 75%+)

If your card has troubles with 1506, here the same with somewhat lower clocks:

BIOS 3)
1443 at 1.200V

BIOS 4)
1443 at 1.187V

I recommend you try BIOS 1 first and if you still have black screens under stress (Heaven Benchmark, Games etc.) try BIOS 2 which uses even less voltage at max clock.

Should your card be unstable (driver crashes, artifacts etc.) try the 1443 BIOSes with somewhat lower clock. Here too try the 1.200V first, if it black screens use the 1.187V BIOS. (I found the best test for black screens is Heaven Benchmark at Ultra/Extreme and have it run for at least an hour or longer).

Please share whether your black screen problems are solved with those BIOS!

** UPDATE May, 21 **

Updated BIOS with "proper" down-clocking voltage table. Ie. should the card ever need to throttle in the upper clock ranges it does now correctly decrease voltages.

** UPDATE May, 27 **

While the above and my workaround with those BIOS still works, I am at a point that I am rather certain that the black screens are from overheating components (voltage regulators) on those cards. There is an undeniable relationship between fan speed, temperatures, load on the card and the likelihood for black screens.

My BIOS help since less voltage means less power draw/load and lower temps, therefore they can help to prevent the black screens crashes. HOWEVER it is important that you keep your fan running as high as you can tolerate it. I found the default fan settings in the original bios NOT sufficient. You need to get Afterburner or PrecisionX and create a custom fan profile where your fans are running 45% or faster at 75C depending how loud you can tolerate. This together with my BIOS is the best way to prevent black screens. Proper cooling of the card is important!!

It is also likely that an aftermarket cooler like the Arctic Twin Turbo II with the included heat-sinks for VRMs should prevent the black screens. Here however you would need to find a way to attach the heat sinks of the Twin Turbo II in a way as that you can remove them again (the included thermal glue is permanent!) otherwise you would void your card's warranty.

Guide: How to flash your card's BIOS:

Please see Easy NVFlash Guide with Pictures for GTX 970/980"
at

Always Backup Your Original BIOS

You need your original, unaltered BIOS flashed back on the card in case you would ever need to send it in for RMA or something would go wrong and you want to flash your card with the original BIOS.

This is how you backup your card's BIOS: Get yourself . Disable your card in Windows device manager. In GPUZ, below the Nvidia symbol is an arrow symbol. Click on the arrow. It will ask you to save your card's BIOS to a file. Save this to your computer.

There is also a good collection of VGA Bios for various cards and vendors on .

DISCLAIMER: This is not an official, EVGA approved fix/BIOS. Please use at your own risk! Flashing your card's BIOS always has a small risk that something might go wrong. Be sure you know what you're doing, especially how you would "unbrick" your card should something go wrong. I can not be held responsible should anything go wrong.

Hi, can you create a bios with:
core clock 1479
memory standard
voltage 1.212V
Power Target 196W ?

PS. sorry for my bad english ;p
evertonmdz
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2015/12/21 17:53:03 (permalink)
flexy123

After lots of investigation and sharing experiences with others I/we concluded that the "Black Screen, needs PC reset" problem is because of that some cards, among them GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 cannot handle the overall load/power draw. (It's not so much a matter of that an overclock is not stable since those crashes are different, in those cases the driver crashes and the system can recover).

I found that the black screen issue can be solved by limiting the maximum voltage the card is using at it's maximum speed.
(In fact, my SC ACX2.0 does 1506 stable, tested, at 1.187V. Since my-2974 GTX ACX 2.0 is a very average card with ASIC quality 70% I have reason to believe that the fix should work for MOST -2974 cards)

The 1.187V - as compared to 1.212V or 1.200V (as would be the max voltage with the original bios) draws less power, prevents black screens, reduces temps and throttling.

If you have the black screen problem and want to save yourself a RMA, I can help you if you are comfortable flashing BIOS and know how to do this. Of course you would flash your cards bios at your own risk. Don't flash if you would not know how to unbrick your card again should a flash go wrong! And obviously this is only for EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 -2974 cards!

The BIOS here have more advantages:

* 1506 overclock without throttling
* Power Target increased to default 196W (from the stock 170W)
* The problem with instability at lower clocks is gone. (NEVER overclock those card's (-2974 models) core clock with Afterburner. Since you cannot add voltage with Afterburner, overclocking the core with Afterburner means that the entire voltage table won't be correct which results in instability at lower clocks). With my BIOS, this problem is solved, the clocks and voltages scale properly.
* No throttling due to "Voltage Limit" since the max. 1.212V which are specified in the BIOS are never used

Those BIOS also work great as general BIOS for your card, whether you have the black screen problem or not. As compared to some other modded BIOS out there, boost is not disabled and the card's voltages scale properly.

BIOS 1) (Try this first)
1506 clock at 1.200V

BIOS 2)
1506 clock at 1.187V (this might only work with cards with very high ASIC, 75%+)

If your card has troubles with 1506, here the same with somewhat lower clocks:

BIOS 3)
1443 at 1.200V

BIOS 4)
1443 at 1.187V

I recommend you try BIOS 1 first and if you still have black screens under stress (Heaven Benchmark, Games etc.) try BIOS 2 which uses even less voltage at max clock.

Should your card be unstable (driver crashes, artifacts etc.) try the 1443 BIOSes with somewhat lower clock. Here too try the 1.200V first, if it black screens use the 1.187V BIOS. (I found the best test for black screens is Heaven Benchmark at Ultra/Extreme and have it run for at least an hour or longer).

Please share whether your black screen problems are solved with those BIOS!

** UPDATE May, 21 **

Updated BIOS with "proper" down-clocking voltage table. Ie. should the card ever need to throttle in the upper clock ranges it does now correctly decrease voltages.

** UPDATE May, 27 **

While the above and my workaround with those BIOS still works, I am at a point that I am rather certain that the black screens are from overheating components (voltage regulators) on those cards. There is an undeniable relationship between fan speed, temperatures, load on the card and the likelihood for black screens.

My BIOS help since less voltage means less power draw/load and lower temps, therefore they can help to prevent the black screens crashes. HOWEVER it is important that you keep your fan running as high as you can tolerate it. I found the default fan settings in the original bios NOT sufficient. You need to get Afterburner or PrecisionX and create a custom fan profile where your fans are running 45% or faster at 75C depending how loud you can tolerate. This together with my BIOS is the best way to prevent black screens. Proper cooling of the card is important!!

It is also likely that an aftermarket cooler like the Arctic Twin Turbo II with the included heat-sinks for VRMs should prevent the black screens. Here however you would need to find a way to attach the heat sinks of the Twin Turbo II in a way as that you can remove them again (the included thermal glue is permanent!) otherwise you would void your card's warranty.

Guide: How to flash your card's BIOS:

Please see Easy NVFlash Guide with Pictures for GTX 970/980"
at

Always Backup Your Original BIOS

You need your original, unaltered BIOS flashed back on the card in case you would ever need to send it in for RMA or something would go wrong and you want to flash your card with the original BIOS.

This is how you backup your card's BIOS: Get yourself . Disable your card in Windows device manager. In GPUZ, below the Nvidia symbol is an arrow symbol. Click on the arrow. It will ask you to save your card's BIOS to a file. Save this to your computer.

There is also a good collection of VGA Bios for various cards and vendors on .

please create a config 1.212V 1443mhz, my gtx 970 is only 62 asic, 1200V does not work! thanks !!
gdonner
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2016/03/11 12:16:17 (permalink)
I'm wondering if what I'm encountering may be related to this thread?

I recently upgraded to the EVGA GTX 970 SC 04G-P4-2974-KR (was using the EVGA GTX 760 SC 02G-P4-2765-KR before that--worked perfectly; just wanted something faster).

But now on cold boots, my system gets stuck on the Dell XPS 8700 splash screen (just sits there; nothing loads). I manually power it off, wait a few seconds, then power it on, and it boots up perfectly. Warm reboots also work just fine--no issues. I've tried both the A10 and A11 BIOSes from Dell--problem persists.

EVGA's tech was wondering if the power supply might be at fault, but just days ago, my Seasonic 650W M12II-650 was powering my 760 (arguably used more power than the 970 does, seeing as the 760 required an 8-pin and a 6-pin power connector vs. the 970's two 6-pin power connectors) just fine.

So although this issue isn't exactly a "black screen" one per se, it sounds like this card might be problematic?

My specs:

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A10 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A10 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2
xast0r
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2016/03/28 05:48:24 (permalink)
flexy123, 
Hi, set BIOS №1, noted that there are disabled fans in idle mode, but I look at them and they are a bit jerky, as it should be? it will not wear?
I apologize in advance for my bad english :)
post edited by xast0r - 2016/04/03 23:03:07
xast0r
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2016/04/03 23:01:47 (permalink)
Try 1 bios get artifact, try 2 bios get black sreen after 2hours of playing, try 3 bios get black srceen after 1 hour playing... set original bios back problem not solved. When using native graphics card BIOS above 75 degrees is not heated when pierced BIOS from the topic it was heated to 80.
Recently I started playing in the Tree of savior, and started to get a black screen after 2-3 hours of play in this case graphics card does not heat even up to 60 degrees. Are there any ideas how can I solve this problem?
DeathAngel74
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1263
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2016/04/04 00:51:04 (permalink)
Anything below 1.212-1.218v will cause artifacts, depending on the card's ASIC quality %. Think of it this way....If you overclock your CPU and the voltage is too low...it crashes, right? It's the same thing: the voltage table, power table, and boost table need to be adjusted at the same time. Most voltage-locked cards only run at 1.212-1.218v. Unless you change the whole voltage table to utilize more than 1.218v you will get artifacts, if you're fortunate and don't have a card that's got a hardware locked voltage controller.
post edited by DeathAngel74 - 2016/04/04 00:53:55

Carnage specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING | Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7820x | Memory Channels#1 and #3: Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz | Memory Channels#2 and #4: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200 MHz | GPU: eVGA 1080 TI FTW3 Hybrid | PhysX: eVGA 1070 SC2 | SSD#1: Samsung 960 EVO 256GB m.2 nVME(Windows/boot) | SSD#2&3: OCZ TRION 150 480GB SATAx2(RAID0-Games) | SSD#4: ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SATA(Storage) | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 RGB 360mm AIO LCS | Case: Thermaltake X31 RGB | Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 1000W Titanium | Keyboard: Razer Ornato Chroma | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Chroma | Mousepad: Razer Firefly Chroma | Operating System#1: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate X64 | Operating System#2: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya (3DS Homebrew/Build Environment)
xast0r
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2016/04/04 07:12:29 (permalink)
ASIK I have 72.2%
I reinstall the drivers graphics card with a clean installation. After 3 hours of play caught the black screen but got a message that nvlddmkm driver stopped responding but then he recovered and I do not have to restart the computer.
I try to remove the driver with the aid of DDU
DeathAngel74
FTW Member
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2016/04/04 09:16:47 (permalink)
There are many factors that cause black screens and drivers crashing / recovering. Bad/corrupt Windows and driver installs, corrupt oc profiles from AB and PX16. You also have to consider that fact that the graphics card and /or power supply is / are dying. I would run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f(on all drives). Update your A/V definitions and do a full scan for viruses. Also, make sure you have a min of 2gb(2048) pagefile for 8gb ram, 4gb(4096) for 16gb of ram and 8gb(8192) for 32gb ram. Set the min/max values to the same amount, so the SSD will not receive excessive write operations. Same goes for HDD so I doesn't become fragmented. A lot of people say that you don't need a pagefile for 16gb of ram or higher, but Windows and some apps still try to use it. Just my $.02
post edited by DeathAngel74 - 2016/04/04 09:23:24

Carnage specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING | Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7820x | Memory Channels#1 and #3: Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz | Memory Channels#2 and #4: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200 MHz | GPU: eVGA 1080 TI FTW3 Hybrid | PhysX: eVGA 1070 SC2 | SSD#1: Samsung 960 EVO 256GB m.2 nVME(Windows/boot) | SSD#2&3: OCZ TRION 150 480GB SATAx2(RAID0-Games) | SSD#4: ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SATA(Storage) | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 RGB 360mm AIO LCS | Case: Thermaltake X31 RGB | Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 1000W Titanium | Keyboard: Razer Ornato Chroma | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Chroma | Mousepad: Razer Firefly Chroma | Operating System#1: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate X64 | Operating System#2: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya (3DS Homebrew/Build Environment)
xast0r
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2016/04/14 06:27:20 (permalink)
DeathAngel74
There are many factors that cause black screens and drivers crashing / recovering. Bad/corrupt Windows and driver installs, corrupt oc profiles from AB and PX16. You also have to consider that fact that the graphics card and /or power supply is / are dying. I would run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f(on all drives). Update your A/V definitions and do a full scan for viruses. Also, make sure you have a min of 2gb(2048) pagefile for 8gb ram, 4gb(4096) for 16gb of ram and 8gb(8192) for 32gb ram. Set the min/max values to the same amount, so the SSD will not receive excessive write operations. Same goes for HDD so I doesn't become fragmented. A lot of people say that you don't need a pagefile for 16gb of ram or higher, but Windows and some apps still try to use it. Just my $.02

thanks for the advice, I launched the sfc /scannow and testing found that opencl.dll file is corrupted, I restored it and a whole week is not observed a black screen :)
DeathAngel74
FTW Member
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2016/04/14 16:45:38 (permalink)
glad to hear you got it fixed

Carnage specs:
infiniti11
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2018/04/04 08:26:42 (permalink)
i used bios number 2 i did this for overclocking reason not because i had issues i purchased a second hand card did some bits to improve cooling. my card is 78.9% asic i run at 1502mhz no problems but i have not pushed the card beyond 1502 as i think it runs great atm, i will update if any issues or i decide to overclock more. i get around 60 degrees when doing firestrike and gta ,  i set my own fan profile and i have a artic twin turbo beside me if i wish to change the cooler to get those numbers up :) please bare with me i only got this card second hand today. 
o0zora
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2018/04/13 04:50:54 (permalink)
hi dudes,
since the beginning i got this issues so recently it got on my nerves so much i decided to try you rom..
despite all flashing process seemed to work, after rebooting i get the b2 motherboard error. i tried to backup my rom via dos with nvflash using my igp (to get image since my gtx is not starting at all) but it does not detect my card.
Is my GC completely dead or is it normal that it won't turn my GC on at all because of b2 error ?

Please help me i feel desperate :/

Edit : ok after further test today. The card turn on and i see vent turn on but 10 seconds later it stops. I try on another Pc and i get the same b2 issue.
post edited by o0zora - 2018/04/13 06:45:46
josovnik
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2018/04/13 10:20:17 (permalink)
Did someone do this with a 980ti SC + ???
Will someone have any BIOS?

Thx!
90Ninety
Re: Solution For "Black Screen" Problem For GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 (-2974) 2021/08/17 14:34:35 (permalink)
Apologies to Necro this thread . Have this card Device ID10DE-13C2-3842-2974 (ACX 2.0 SC) as shown below . I get black screens , so ended up here looking for a vbios solution . I am hoping a lower voltage or clock will reduce the black screens . I tried all four of these VBIOS roms, my computer wont boot when using these Roms for whatever reason 

I even tried the non 'SC' version on techpowerup (below) with lower clocks, simply will not boot (only safe mode) with any other bios but stock . 

post edited by 90Ninety - 2021/08/17 14:48:29

Attached Image(s)

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile