EVGA

So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards?

Author
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2021/02/04 08:47:43 (permalink)
Just curious I have not had a dedicated sound card in years, I just use headphones these days though. Have milled about the idea of getting the EVGA Sound Card for my PC. Just not sure if its really worth it, and if I should just stick to the onboard sound card on the MSI Carbon motherboard coming in my system. Pro's? Cons? To thoughts on your EVGA Sound card and how much does it really make a difference?

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller

26 Replies Related Threads

jfw06013
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 586
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/04 10:13:25 (permalink)
    The NU Audio (stereo) is just awesome!
    The Klipsch 2.1 desktop speakers sounds noticeably better than the sound chip on my EVGA X299 FTW-K.
    Plugging in my beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO headphones to the NU Audio card was not a problem as the card has enough power to push them as loud as I want without distortion as far as I can tell.
    In conclusion, if you don't care about 7.1 surround this is the card to buy. 

tropmonky
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/04 18:48:36 (permalink)
    I'm with you @donta1979, I haven't had a dedicated Audio card for many years and would love to hear others' feedback.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/04 19:46:51 (permalink)
    Thats a tough one Donta, cause like many of you, i havent had a sound card since the Turtlebeach Montego pci i had. Id say if youre not going to use it for audio work, youtube streaming/twitch sessions all the time, or for pro gaming then its a bit of a steep price for occasional use. Im sure theres decent cards that are way cheaper so you dont regret spending so much. That doesnt mean EVGA's card is no good, cause its very good but just cause you can, should you? If you truly have money to burn then go ahead, i highly doubt you would be disappointed in its results.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/04 20:46:42 (permalink)
    wmmills
    Thats a tough one Donta, cause like many of you, i havent had a sound card since the Turtlebeach Montego pci i had. Id say if youre not going to use it for audio work, youtube streaming/twitch sessions all the time, or for pro gaming then its a bit of a steep price for occasional use. Im sure theres decent cards that are way cheaper so you dont regret spending so much. That doesnt mean EVGA's card is no good, cause its very good but just cause you can, should you? If you truly have money to burn then go ahead, i highly doubt you would be disappointed in its results.

Yeah, I wont be doing any streaming or video work. Just looking for something that is better than my onboard sound, has my headset loud, no distortion and can keep up with a lot of audio going on at once, and the software does not suck. Seems Creative Labs keeps dropping the ball in that department...

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/04 22:03:20 (permalink)
    Hmmmm... well, you might be better off just running a regular stereo amp to your pc. It will have the power, sound, and settings galore. I had it setup that way for awhile and had it hooked to the sound card, lol. When i went to this rig i lost the pci, then i took the stereo off for a altec lansing 2.1..... out of sheer laziness, then i sold my house and moved and now its just headphones, lol. I def agree. Creative has dropped the ball....for awhile now. You could do something like this: https://www.parts-express.com/FX-Audio-UK-01-Hi-Fi-DAC-and-Headphone-Amplifier-309-410  

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

Help Our Vets From K-2!
    Falita
    • Total Posts : 27
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/06 17:12:15 (permalink)
    Currently testing the Pro and the Xonar DX with studio monitors Mackie Mr5 Mk3. For stereo only the audio is clearer and the bass sounds better, less muddy/sloppy on the Pro so is a nice upgrade.

On the 7.1 option the only thing that the Pro lacks is the bass managment (highly requested feature but ignored), on monday i'm receiving the Pro 7.1 and will be testing how much of a pain this can really by having to use the windows bass managment.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/08 04:33:37 (permalink)
    Falita
    Currently testing the Pro and the Xonar DX with studio monitors Mackie Mr5 Mk3. For stereo only the audio is clearer and the bass sounds better, less muddy/sloppy on the Pro so is a nice upgrade.

On the 7.1 option the only thing that the Pro lacks is the bass managment (highly requested feature but ignored), on monday i'm receiving the Pro 7.1 and will be testing how much of a pain this can really by having to use the windows bass managment.

Mackie makes some nice stuff, although i never tried there studio monitors. I had a 12 track mixer from way back in 1995 i bought that was great but i blew it up by accident one day plugging a power amp line in one of the outs. Not as great after that! We were fooling around too, micing my drummers drums for pretty much no reason than to see how much we could mess with the live sound of them.

Help Our Vets From K-2!
    A123A
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/08 21:48:31 (permalink)
    The sound is fantastic.
    I am using the toslink going to an external DAC ---> XLR ---> DynAudio BM5A.

I switch from the DAC to the NuAudio 6.3mm jack for headphones when needed and having this kind of versatility is great.
    LCaldas
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/09 03:39:03 (permalink)
    Working fine all the time.
    Great Sound!
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/09 04:54:55 (permalink)
    I have really liked it a lot the sound is better I feel but it really depends on the source you are using to get the audio from. Seems like newer music I have bought sounds better then older tracks that I have had for a long time and new games also sound better then older games but that is probably the format since a decade ago the songs probably had more compression for faster download and game sounds also didn't get the same quality back when they tried to fit everything on a single CD or DVD.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Evgam3r
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/11 05:16:35 (permalink)
    Can this card be used externally with an hp omen pc?
    Phileosophos
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/11 09:57:00 (permalink)
    The hardware is probably great. The drivers suck. They don't do sub-woofer crossover at all. They're buggy in many ways, not least of which being they can't handle a simple logout/login properly. And we haven't had a driver update for nearly a year. I'd suggest buying from a vendor who actually supports their hardware instead.
    Veratu
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/11 10:04:04 (permalink)
    I second the notion above.  The sound is incredible if you use it natively from the outputs, if you're going to use TOSLINK, there's no real point since that technology has limited specifications and any sound card out there will serve that purpose.  When you use the onboard outputs going through the onboard DAC and op-amps, it's excellent.  Swapping the Op-amps is awesome too, I'm running Bursons in mine and it's awesome.  The drivers do suck.  If you set them and forget them, for most things they work ok.  But when you start flipping bitrates and frequencies, then it's all down hill and they bug out constantly.  I've given up on that, and just set them at a level I know most things work at and then leave it alone.

Would love to see much better testing, and fixing all the annoying bugs in the drivers for sure, outside of that, I love my card.

Just a word of note, don't press it up in a slot next to a GPU, you'll get a lot of GPU hum interference on the card, especially if you have a 3090 that sits real close to the back of the sound card.  Once I moved it one slot down further away, the interference went away.
    TechJessica87
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/11 10:48:26 (permalink)
    Veratu
    I second the notion above.  The sound is incredible if you use it natively from the outputs, if you're going to use TOSLINK, there's no real point since that technology has limited specifications and any sound card out there will serve that purpose.  When you use the onboard outputs going through the onboard DAC and op-amps, it's excellent.  Swapping the Op-amps is awesome too, I'm running Bursons in mine and it's awesome.  The drivers do suck.  If you set them and forget them, for most things they work ok.  But when you start flipping bitrates and frequencies, then it's all down hill and they bug out constantly.  I've given up on that, and just set them at a level I know most things work at and then leave it alone.

Would love to see much better testing, and fixing all the annoying bugs in the drivers for sure, outside of that, I love my card.

Just a word of note, don't press it up in a slot next to a GPU, you'll get a lot of GPU hum interference on the card, especially if you have a 3090 that sits real close to the back of the sound card.  Once I moved it one slot down further away, the interference went away.

Really glad to know this! Hums suck!
    Airdoo
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/16 05:20:53 (permalink)
    I'm actually getting a Schiit Hel as the mic input is providing too much voltage to the microphone, antlion modmic, making it overly sensitive to the point of it not being useful for anything above a whisper, a 10 db decrease would probably be fine but EVGA has been sluggish at best for offering solutions, I'm now well outside a warranty period or return window so I'm just going to learn from this.
    mikejerico3
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/18 00:35:43 (permalink)
    Yes, It is working fine.
    HRPuffnstuff
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1321
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/21 16:09:58 (permalink)
    I was loving my Nu Audio card for the past year until the other day when it up and died on me forcing me to use onboard sound for the first time.   But today the Amazon driver brought me a package containing the Nu Audio Pro 7.1 so I'm happy once again.    Just finished setting it up and am listening to Metallica while I type this. I'm planning to get a 7.1 surround system for my PC and this card will work nicely for that purpose. 

The sound is clean and powerful just like it was on the other card.  Hopefully EVGA will complete the RMA in a timely manner and I will put that card up as a spare.  I like the scaling rgb bar on the side more than the name on the other one.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE, Intel i9 13900k, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb 6600, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 420 ARGB in push/pull, Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, EVGA Nu Audio, Samsung 990 & 980 Pro's, WD SN850X & Black hdd, EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, Windows 11 Professional, Thermaltake Level 20 XT w/Antec Prizm X 120mm argb fans

man114
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/22 03:07:10 (permalink)
    I have 4 of the non pro ones mainly for headphone listening. Nothing but good to me.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/22 04:38:34 (permalink)
    HRPuffnstuff
    I was loving my Nu Audio card for the past year until the other day when it up and died on me forcing me to use onboard sound for the first time.   But today the Amazon driver brought me a package containing the Nu Audio Pro 7.1 so I'm happy once again.    Just finished setting it up and am listening to Metallica while I type this. I'm planning to get a 7.1 surround system for my PC and this card will work nicely for that purpose. 

The sound is clean and powerful just like it was on the other card.  Hopefully EVGA will complete the RMA in a timely manner and I will put that card up as a spare.  I like the scaling rgb bar on the side more than the name on the other one.

Did you catch the Metallica Blizzcon twitch stream? It sounded amazing!

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

HRPuffnstuff
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1321
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/02/22 17:21:49 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    HRPuffnstuff

No I missed that one.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE, Intel i9 13900k, G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32gb 6600, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 420 ARGB in push/pull, Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, EVGA Nu Audio, Samsung 990 & 980 Pro's, WD SN850X & Black hdd, EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, Windows 11 Professional, Thermaltake Level 20 XT w/Antec Prizm X 120mm argb fans

turbomadman
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 460
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/03/11 14:44:55 (permalink)
    Using this sound card at work since I spend most of my time in one spot vs home, car, etc. It's used for music listening with no gaming. Just installed it and it's awesome. How does it sound? Crazy sweet. I can hear voices and instruments in the music much more defined and clear compared to an onboard sound that went south on a X58 "Three way Classified" mobo. The lows, mids, and highs has all distortions and hissing gone. Listening to music at work is more enjoyable with NO fatigue. The sound card made my valued "bang for the buck" car amps and speakers sound like High end ones. My ancient but sill kicking system: 120v to 12v converter to fuel a Rockford Fosgate amp which powers the two MTX closed back mids from my old Chevy, and Polk Audio tweeters that I salvaged from a broken bookshelf system. Lastly a Boss Audio mono block amp to power the Velodyne 10" house sub that I salvaged from home and placed in a box I built. In the future I'm gonna add one more spare Fosgate amp so I can power the pair of mids and highs separately. Might even try some cheap Caps for the subs. 

Traaaaan
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/03/11 17:15:02 (permalink)
    Is the backplate plastic? I'm thinking of getting some thermal pads to help with dissapate heat. It's never overheated but when I'm fiddling with I started shutting off the output I'm not using them.

If it's plastic I may dremel some slots into it.
    Traaaaan
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/03/11 17:20:32 (permalink)
    I'm using a mod mic with mine. I did turn down my windows gain. It sounds great.

If you have an nvidia gpu that's recent I highly suggest using nvidia broadcast. I have my windows mic gain at 70%. Then I route the evga mic input to nvidia broadcast, turn on noise suppression in broadcast to the about 90% and my modmic sounds just as good as my usb yeti.
    Vivicector
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/03/14 00:42:16 (permalink)
    I kind of like it. I like its microphone input that can be set on 30% gain and still provides enough power for my semi-pro Chineese handset mic (one made for professional on stage radio microphone systems). Its noise compensation is good. Its power output is good. Gaming features are nothing cool, but its ok, all the "enhancers" suck in the end. However, I was expecting more difference between built-in audio (an "ok" realtek that is nicely isolated from EMI by Gigabyte) and dedicated card for $$$. One may hear the difference in direct comparison but I was thinking it would be more.
    p.s. Yea, Antlion modmic is kinda overprice when compared to something like this: https://aliexpress.ru/item/32950027785.html (hope I won't get banned lol) + adhesive tape. Bonus for not having additional magnets that may spoil the headphones Q-factor. The only issue is mono sound when recorded in stereo codec by Nu audio.
    post edited by Vivicector - 2021/03/14 00:47:42
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/03/14 01:40:35 (permalink)
    HRPuffnstuff
    Hoggle
    HRPuffnstuff

No I missed that one.

The reason the Metallica Blizzcon 21 Twitch stream was so great is because Twitch detected the broadcast of copyrighted music so while they played viewers instead got non copyrighted music that sounded like it came out of a cheerful NES game. Twitch Hilariously Censors Metallica Performance | SPIN

Fredtactic63
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: So how are you guys liking your EVGA sound cards? 2021/04/01 14:25:10 (permalink)
    Purchased to replace to the second 200 dollar soundcard to fail from one your competitors. I am shocked at the increased dynamics and detail over the “high end” soundcard I was using. I use the soundcard with amps designed by Nelson Pass and John Curl to design loudspeakers with seas, ScanSpeak, Wavecor, and SB Acoustics drivers. The Nu Audio card sounds better than several 3000 dollar DACs I have heard. I need something with excellent transparency and a natural tonal balance. This product far exceeds my expectations and worth several times the purchase price.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile