Slicing open psu cables

Author
Pacheenee
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/11/28 07:09:12 (permalink)
I have a 750 G5 and I hate the fishnet sleeved cables. Really just the GPU cables bother me because you cant really see any others, but don't really want to buy anything aftermarket. Has anyone sliced the sleeving off of their cables before to make them look like individually sleeved cables with no sleeve? Safe/unsafe? Look good/looks trash?

2 Replies Related Threads

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Slicing open psu cables 2021/11/28 21:15:35 (permalink)
    Pacheenee
    I have a 750 G5 and I hate the fishnet sleeved cables. Really just the GPU cables bother me because you cant really see any others, but don't really want to buy anything aftermarket. Has anyone sliced the sleeving off of their cables before to make them look like individually sleeved cables with no sleeve? Safe/unsafe? Look good/looks trash?

Just buy some extensions or evgas wire sets in the store. You alter the wires and cant put them back they may void your warranty on the unit or charge you for the wires at the very least. You can even use wide heatshrink or other tubing, put a bunch that are running near each other into one wide pipe. Theres many things you can do and not have to alter it.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Dukman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1478
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Slicing open psu cables 2021/11/28 21:38:22 (permalink)
    Pacheenee

Actually I do this all the time.   Underneath that nasty looking sleeving you'll find some decent looking plain black wires.

What you'll need is a little bit of patience, a razor blade or Xacto knife, small fine wire cutters and a pair of scissors.

Carefully slice through the heat shrink on both sides of the cable.  It's some pretty heavy duty stuff, so you'll probably have to make a couple careful cuts.   Make shallow and careful cuts to make sure you don't cut into the wire.   If you do, electrical tape is your friend.     

Next carefully peel back and remove the heat shrink on both ends of the cable.  It will put up a bit of a fight due to there also being glue involved.  Once you get the heatshrink off, use your scissors to carefully cut the sleeve off.  Again, be carfeful to not accidentally cut a wire.  Slow and steady is the key. 

Once the sleeve is off, you'll find some glue remnants on the wires.  This will quickly and easily rub off.

Finally, at the GPU side of the cable you will find some capacitors.   I usually depin the individual wires and snip the capacitors at the molex crimp, but you can also just carefully snip the wires at the connector.  (I do recommend depinning though).

After that, you are done.  No more nasty fish net sleeve.

This aside, another common thing for me to do is simply buy the pre-sleeved wires in a color of my desire and not use the factory cables at all.

Heatware

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile