EVGA

Helpful ReplySingle or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated)

Author
GEPlayer
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/11/20 18:19:09 (permalink)
As the title says, I'm hoping to get some knowledgeable advice regarding my radiator setup. Currently this is how my system is set up.

LOOP ORDER: Pump/Res > Rad 1 > Rad 2 > CPU > GPU > Pump/Res.

RADIATOR ORDER: FANS > RAD 1 > FANS > RAD 2

Now Radiator 1 is the first inlet from the pump/res and is the radiator that receives the coolest air. However radiator 2 receives coolant from radiator 1 BUT ALSO receives hot exhaust air from radiator 1. The water then goes from radiator 2 up to the CPU/GPU/PUMP/RES. So I have a bit of a question, is this causing a detrimental affect on cooling as the coolant that goes to the system is being cooled by warm air?

Secondly would I be better off having a single 360mm Rad with a push/pull config? This way I am freeing up a lot of space but I am also not hindering the cooling power by exhausting warm air onto another radiator before the coolant enters the system? My concern is that perhaps a 360mm is not enough cooling power, however reading some sources it says that having 120mm of cooling per component is adequate.

Radiators: 2 x Alphacool Nexxus XT45 360mm (full copper) 10FPI
Fans: 6 x Bitfenix Spectre Pro (SPECS: 1200rpm 12v, 56CFM, 1.24mmH2O, 19dB)

I have provided some pictures to ID how the loop is set up The radiator without the fan grills is the radiator that receives the coolant from the pump/res (Rad 1). Thank you and I appreciate your feedback.

I have also provided temperature readings. The top 3 boxes are IDLE temps after doing a stresstest. The bottom boxes are temps AFTER an hour of gaming (Battlefront 2)
As the title says, I'm hoping to get some knowledgeable advice regarding my radiator setup. Currently this is how my system is set up.

LOOP ORDER: Pump/Res > Rad 1 > Rad 2 > CPU > GPU > Pump/Res.

RADIATOR ORDER: FANS > RAD 1 > FANS > RAD 2

Now Radiator 1 is the first inlet from the pump/res and is the radiator that receives the coolest air. However radiator 2 receives coolant from radiator 1 BUT ALSO receives hot exhaust air from radiator 1. The water then goes from radiator 2 up to the CPU/GPU/PUMP/RES. So I have a bit of a question, is this causing a detrimental affect on cooling as the coolant that goes to the system is being cooled by warm air?

Secondly would I be better off having a single 360mm Rad with a push/pull config? This way I am freeing up a lot of space but I am also not hindering the cooling power by exhausting warm air onto another radiator before the coolant enters the system? My concern is that perhaps a 360mm is not enough cooling power, however reading some sources it says that having 120mm of cooling per component is adequate.

Radiators: 2 x Alphacool Nexxus XT45 360mm (full copper) 10FPI
Fans: 6 x Bitfenix Spectre Pro (SPECS: 1200rpm 12v, 56CFM, 1.24mmH2O, 19dB)

I have provided some pictures to ID how the loop is set up The radiator without the fan grills is the radiator that receives the coolant from the pump/res (Rad 1). Thank you and I appreciate your feedback.

I have also provided temperature readings. The top 3 boxes are IDLE temps after doing a stresstest. The bottom boxes are temps AFTER an hour of gaming (Battlefront 2)

System Specs that need cooling
i7 3930K (Stock) wish to OC to 4Ghz
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/21 10:23:44 (permalink)
Over the years, I have seen these rare configurations but believe the 2nd rad isn't cooling as expected because of the air it is receiving.  The only way a radiator can perform efficiently is based on air and water flow and the air it's gets which should be from the outside or inside the case in some instances is fine but getting the exhaust from a radiator right away will surely decrease its potential.  Is there room to place the 2nd 360mm to the top of the case for example or possibly run it externally?  

The rule of thumb is usually for every 120mm of rad, it can dissipate 100w.  A single 360mm might not be the best for low audibles and low deltas but is enough to cool a CPU and GPU loop.

What case is that btw?  Give us a full system specs of your components and loop if I may.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
GEPlayer
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/21 19:13:48 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Over the years, I have seen these rare configurations but believe the 2nd rad isn't cooling as expected because of the air it is receiving.  The only way a radiator can perform efficiently is based on air and water flow and the air it's gets which should be from the outside or inside the case in some instances is fine but getting the exhaust from a radiator right away will surely decrease its potential.  Is there room to place the 2nd 360mm to the top of the case for example or possibly run it externally?  

The rule of thumb is usually for every 120mm of rad, it can dissipate 100w.  A single 360mm might not be the best for low audibles and low deltas but is enough to cool a CPU and GPU loop.

What case is that btw?  Give us a full system specs of your components and loop if I may.

Thanks for the help there Jack. After about 6hours of tinkering I managed to put 2 360mm rads in the bottom with both rads pulling in air from either side. There is about a 2inch gap betwen both rads. I have also placed a fan at the rear to exhaust air out the rear side of the case. Currently running a Prime95. With an ambient of 32c, the max CPU temp is 58c @3.5Ghz 100% 1.212v

rad 1 on the left is fed from the res/pump then moves to rad 2 which feeds the system components.

System specs are
i7 3903K stock
Evga gtx 1080 ti
Silverstone TJ11
Custom water cooling loop
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/21 19:31:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GEPlayer 2017/11/21 19:38:35
Awesome!  Glad I could help.

I have a similar setup in my 900D.  Two rads on each side being fed by fresh cool ambient air and one at the top of the case.  Your temps look great btw.  
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2017/11/21 19:33:23

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
GEPlayer
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/21 19:40:45 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Awesome!  Glad I could help.

I have a similar setup in my 900D.  Two rads on each side being fed by fresh cool ambient air and one at the top of the case.  Your temps look great btw.  

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. If you are knowledgeable about hard drives I could use your help there too! 
Fix one problem, another rears its head.....sigh
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/21 20:58:37 (permalink)
GEPlayer

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. If you are knowledgeable about hard drives I could use your help there too! 

I'll try my best.  What's the issue?

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
GEPlayer
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/21 21:06:50 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
GEPlayer

I'll try my best.  What's the issue?

Any help is appreciated, I've spent nearly 20hrs trying to fix this forums.evga.com/STORAGE-DRIVE-UNALLOCATED-m2733614.aspx
quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/25 12:54:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GEPlayer 2017/11/26 21:21:07
i would try and see if you could get a fan to draw that warmer out from between the two rads, with both blowing at each other they could be causing some pressure on each other.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/25 14:53:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GEPlayer 2017/11/26 21:21:10
quadlatte
i would try and see if you could get a fan to draw that warmer out from between the two rads, with both blowing at each other they could be causing some pressure on each other.

He's using a rear exhaust fan as he shouldn't have a problem at all.  The positive pressure created in that chamber will make its way out, even if a rear exhaust fan wasn't in use.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
GEPlayer
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/26 21:30:32 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
quadlatte

He's using a rear exhaust fan as he shouldn't have a problem at all.  The positive pressure created in that chamber will make its way out, even if a rear exhaust fan wasn't in use.

quadlatte

Thanks for the concerns gents. Yeah I have considered this too, hopefully the PSU and FAN I have at the rear will intake air from inside the case and force it out the rear. The bottom sides of the case are very well ventilated too. Heres a crude design of how it looks.

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/26 22:23:52 (permalink)
Does the other side of the PSU have a intake or is it closed?  If its open, I would honestly flip the PSU so its fed cooler air like your rads.  No need to warm up the PSU from all that warm exhaust.  The warm exhaust will make its way out no matter what.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
quadlatte
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7191
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: Single or Dual 360mm Rad (Stacked) (Advice appreciated) 2017/11/26 22:24:17 (permalink)
GEPlayer
GTXJackBauer
quadlatte

quadlatte

Thanks for the concerns gents. Yeah I have considered this too, hopefully the PSU and FAN I have at the rear will intake air from inside the case and force it out the rear. The bottom sides of the case are very well ventilated too. Heres a crude design of how it looks.

ahh didnt see that in the pic, should work fine then, jayz2cents has pretty much the same setup on skunkworks

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile