EVGA

Helpful ReplyShould I upgrade my 5960X CPU?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 227
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/28 22:51:09 (permalink)
arestavo
enkrypt3d

This is an old pic of my rig with my 1080's in SLI and 5960x... I've since mounted the lights... and I love how my new CPU never gets above 40C under load... the 5960x runs pretty damn hot.

Not bad! Yeah, non-overclocked Xeons run cool compared to the voltage hungry i7s. Even at default settings this 1660V3 only pulled about 1.05V (not that I'd run a fully unlocked Xeon at default clocks!).

See EDIT above :)

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
MSI X570 Prestige Creation
32GB DDR4-3600Mhz G.skill Neo Trident
4 x 2TB Samsung EVO 970 Plus in RAID0
EVGA SuperNova 1300W G2 PSU
enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/28 23:38:20 (permalink)
so what, that's it??? After all that drama? No "You were right all along"? Come on man........ @arestavo
[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold"] 

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/29 00:02:23 (permalink)
enkrypt3d
so what, that's it??? After all that drama? No "You were right all along"? Come on man........ @arestavo

If by "you were right all along" you are referring to my rectitude, then I agree!

My 4K Ultra:

Your 4K Ultra:

My 1080P Ultra:

Your 1080P Ultra:

enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/29 08:58:18 (permalink)
arestavo
enkrypt3d

If by "you were right all along" you are referring to my rectitude, then I agree!

My 4K Ultra:

Your 4K Ultra:

My 1080P Ultra:

Your 1080P Ultra:

<p>so what, that's it??? After all that drama? No "You were right all along"? Come on man........ @arestavo</p> <p><span style="font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold;">&nbsp;</span></p>

I still don't get your point but whatever... the difference is within the margin of error 2-5 FPS isn't going to be noticeable. So again, what is your problem exactly? And why did I have to "prove" anything? What was I proving? Again I ask: Are you really that surprised that a e5-2696 v4 doesn't bottleneck the 1080 Ti? Is that what you mean? And what's with the attitude? Who cares!

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/29 09:05:43 (permalink)
Getting back to the original post with the X299 chipset coming sooner than expected it might be better to upgrade to a new motherboard and CPU assuming the price on both are affordable.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/29 09:16:00 (permalink)
enkrypt3d
arestavo
enkrypt3d

My 4K Ultra:

Your 4K Ultra:

My 1080P Ultra:

Your 1080P Ultra:

<p>so what, that's it??? After all that drama? No "You were right all along"? Come on man........ @arestavo</p> <p><span style="font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold;">&nbsp;</span></p>

I still don't get your point but whatever... the difference is within the margin of error 2-5 FPS isn't going to be noticeable. So again, what is your problem exactly? And why did I have to "prove" anything? What was I proving? Again I ask: Are you really that surprised that a e5-2696 v4 doesn't bottleneck the 1080 Ti? Is that what you mean? And what's with the attitude? Who cares!

You also stated that you get 40-50FPS average at 4K ultra. I called you on it, and your own results show it. 

That's the point, that's what I was out to prove. You tracking now? Am I a self-righteous prig? You bet!

As for bottlenecks - I guarantee you that a 7700K at 4.6+GHz blows both of our chips out of the water and will get even better minimum FPS and average FPS rates - so technically BOTH of our CPUs are a bottleneck for the GPU. I'm certain that you're aware that in any computer there's ALWAYS a bottleneck somewhere, no exceptions. No, 5 to 7 FPS difference is actually quite large, and I DO consider it a significant difference. In addition the built-in benchmark fails to test night time driving - you want to see FPS drops? Drive a vehicle at night at ultra settings and watch those shadow calculations on the CPU kill FPS.

That said, I fully agree that results are often subjective in what is acceptable to one user is unacceptable to another. Case and point being 4K ultra (or even 4K very high or high) dropping below 55FPS - it's completely experience breaking, and it's why I run that game at 1080P ultra. You may not have an issue running at 32FPS - I assure you that I do. I hate it when the game drops below 55FPS, let alone a slideshow ~30.
post edited by arestavo - 2017/04/29 09:21:31
enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/29 09:49:34 (permalink)
arestavo
enkrypt3d
arestavo
enkrypt3d

My 4K Ultra:

Your 4K Ultra:

My 1080P Ultra:

Your 1080P Ultra:

You also stated that you get 40-50FPS average at 4K ultra. I called you on it, and your own results show it. 

That's the point, that's what I was out to prove. You tracking now? Am I a self-righteous prig? You bet!

As for bottlenecks - I guarantee you that a 7700K at 4.6+GHz blows both of our chips out of the water and will get even better minimum FPS and average FPS rates - so technically BOTH of our CPUs are a bottleneck for the GPU. I'm certain that you're aware that in any computer there's ALWAYS a bottleneck somewhere, no exceptions. No, 5 to 7 FPS difference is actually quite large, and I DO consider it a significant difference. In addition the built-in benchmark fails to test night time driving - you want to see FPS drops? Drive a vehicle at night at ultra settings and watch those shadow calculations on the CPU kill FPS.

That said, I fully agree that results are often subjective in what is acceptable to one user is unacceptable to another. Case and point being 4K ultra (or even 4K very high or high) dropping below 55FPS - it's completely experience breaking, and it's why I run that game at 1080P ultra. You may not have an issue running at 32FPS - I assure you that I do. I hate it when the game drops below 55FPS, let alone a slideshow ~30.

Running on ultra is stupid as the visual improvements are minimal over disabling temporal AA and things that really don't have a huge impact on visual quality... that's why I usally run FXAA and be done with it. With those settings I certainly do hit 40-50FPS. You can have your opinion but this isn't just a gaming rig. Our 4k scores are nearly identical with a margin of error of 2 FPS which is as close to identical as you can get. If you think you can notice a 2 FPS difference you're lying.

I use it for tons of different things for work (virtualization, 3d applications, OpenCL / Cuda work loads and other heavy workloads) Gaming is just a bonus. The reason I went with the 1080 Ti, I had 2 x 1080's and the power draw was insane for very little SLI scaling in games... the 1080 Ti easily replaces both 1080's in SLI since SLI doesn't always scale well with games. Anyway you've wasted my time enough. Good day.
post edited by enkrypt3d - 2017/04/29 10:02:32

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/29 11:37:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby enkrypt3d 2017/04/29 13:48:32
Arestavo, you went full bipolar on enkrypt.  You basically taunted him and tried saying he was lying or that he didn't actually have all that hardware or at least that's how you were coming out as.  Now you're saying about FPS difference?   Dude, you seriously need to find a better hobby and not challenge everything you see or do because you're not always in the right.  Example one, you scare people away from M.2 because you feel SATA is faster.  (Facepalm)  Because your "test results" said so and everyone should bite the bullet.  Anyways, carry on and lets get this thread back on track.  Less bi-polarism.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/29 11:51:46 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Arestavo, you went full bipolar on enkrypt.  You basically taunted him and tried saying he was lying or that he didn't actually have all that hardware or at least that's how you were coming out as.  Now you're saying about FPS difference?   Dude, you seriously need to find a better hobby and not challenge everything you see or do because you're not always in the right.  Example one, you scare people away from M.2 because you feel SATA is faster.  (Facepalm)  Because your "test results" said so and everyone should bite the bullet.  Anyways, carry on and lets get this thread back on track.  Less bi-polarism.

Faster? No. Not much of a difference? ABSOLUTELY! https://hardforum.com/threads/nvme-m-2-ram-drive-raid-sata-iii-ssd-game-load-time-comparisons.1911914/ Also, please continue to not bother looking at the bottom of that first post where I also linked full blown reviews that tested game load and windows load times as well.

Facts hurt, don't they? Frankly, my dear, I don't give a darn!
post edited by arestavo - 2017/04/29 11:55:53
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/29 11:57:04 (permalink)
enkrypt3d
arestavo
enkrypt3d
arestavo
enkrypt3d

My 4K Ultra:

Your 4K Ultra:

My 1080P Ultra:

Your 1080P Ultra:

Running on ultra is stupid as the visual improvements are minimal over disabling temporal AA and things that really don't have a huge impact on visual quality... that's why I usally run FXAA and be done with it. With those settings I certainly do hit 40-50FPS. You can have your opinion but this isn't just a gaming rig. Our 4k scores are nearly identical with a margin of error of 2 FPS which is as close to identical as you can get. If you think you can notice a 2 FPS difference you're lying.

I use it for tons of different things for work (virtualization, 3d applications, OpenCL / Cuda work loads and other heavy workloads) Gaming is just a bonus. The reason I went with the 1080 Ti, I had 2 x 1080's and the power draw was insane for very little SLI scaling in games... the 1080 Ti easily replaces both 1080's in SLI since SLI doesn't always scale well with games. Anyway you've wasted my time enough. Good day.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Edit: and for the record, 4K Ultra with FXAA set still drops down to the 30s - you can have it, I want none of it.
post edited by arestavo - 2017/04/29 12:02:37
enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/04/29 13:43:52 (permalink)
arestavo
enkrypt3d
arestavo
enkrypt3d
arestavo
enkrypt3d

My 4K Ultra

Your 4K Ultra:
1080P Ultra:

Your 1080P Ultra:

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Edit: and for the record, 4K Ultra with FXAA set still drops down to the 30s - you can have it, I want none of it.

You're entitled to your opinion which doesn't mean I'm wrong. I still don't understand your contemptuous attitude.... and btw I do see 50 FPS at times while playing the game but what does it matter? You do seriously need to find something better to do with your time.

@GTXJackBauer thanks for backing me up... I have no idea what this dude's problem is... major inferiority complex I guess?
post edited by enkrypt3d - 2017/04/29 19:07:59

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
rlb9682
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1049
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/01 20:17:35 (permalink)

Affiliate Code: PD1HHD50JK

iSpot
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/03 12:34:05 (permalink)
arestavo
iSpot
enkrypt3d
I ended up going with the Xeon E5-2696 V4 OEM (non-ES) :D Cant wait!

This should work just fine on my x99 classified with the latest bios? Not planning on going with ECC memory or anything... let me know guys thanks!

Great choice, please let us see some benchmarks when you get your rig up and running.

Still waiting on that screenshot of your multiplier running above stock turbo boost.

I'm not ignoring you, I'm recovering from an open heart surgery.

Software Development is Technical Activities conducted by Human Beings!

enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/03 13:08:59 (permalink)
iSpot

Oh man hope you're recovering well!
post edited by enkrypt3d - 2017/05/03 13:23:57

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/03 13:23:07 (permalink)
rlb9682

Yes... yes it did lol

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/03 17:50:58 (permalink)
iSpot
arestavo
iSpot
enkrypt3d
I ended up going with the Xeon E5-2696 V4 OEM (non-ES) :D Cant wait!

This should work just fine on my x99 classified with the latest bios? Not planning on going with ECC memory or anything... let me know guys thanks!

Great choice, please let us see some benchmarks when you get your rig up and running.

Still waiting on that screenshot of your multiplier running above stock turbo boost.

I wish you a speedy recovery as well.

That said, I'm still waiting. Mainly I'm still waiting to see if it's true because, if it is, that will mean that the only fully multiplier unlocked V4 Xeons are QS versions. Which is a big deal seeing as how Intel, in their infinite wisdom, saved us all from the scourge of unlocked Xeons with their latest lineup - and will likely continue doing so.
post edited by arestavo - 2017/05/03 17:54:41
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/19 17:30:50 (permalink)
Well, I've got confirmation from ShepsCrook over on the HardForums that QS 2XXX V4 processors are still multiplier locked. You CAN, depending on the motherboard, set all cores to the max single core boost multiplier. You cannot, however, set them even a single multiplier higher and have it actually run that high (also known as an unlocked multiplier).

I guess we'll have to see what comes next from Intel, and if Threadripper from AMD forces them to change their minds.
enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/20 17:28:03 (permalink)
I tried setting my multiplier to x37 and it just gets reset to the default auto... Is there some secret sauce in the bios to run this 2699 v4 chip at 3700Mhz (max turbo) all the time? 

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/20 18:01:28 (permalink)
enkrypt3d
I tried setting my multiplier to x37 and it just gets reset to the default auto... Is there some secret sauce in the bios to run this 2699 v4 chip at 3700Mhz (max turbo) all the time? 

If it doesn't work in the BIOS, try using throttlestop or Intel's XTU.
enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/21 13:30:06 (permalink)
no dice... Thinking of going with the Asus x99 deluxe II... seeing some issues with not getting enough PCI lanes for my 3 NVME SSD's... but i doubt I'll be able to ever run this chip at 3.6-3.7Ghz all the time...

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/21 13:39:08 (permalink)
enkrypt3d
no dice... Thinking of going with the Asus x99 deluxe II... seeing some issues with not getting enough PCI lanes for my 3 NVME SSD's... but i doubt I'll be able to ever run this chip at 3.6-3.7Ghz all the time...

What will you do with your EVGA X99 Classified Motherboard?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/21 13:46:01 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
enkrypt3d

What will you do with your EVGA X99 Classified Motherboard?

currently RMA'ing it to see if that helps..... if not I'll probably get rid of it.

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/22 10:13:53 (permalink)
anyone have recommendations of motherboards that officially support the xeon 2600's?

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/22 17:13:48 (permalink)
Asus X99 E 10G WS? Asus X99 E WS? Or Asus Deluxe II?
post edited by enkrypt3d - 2017/05/22 18:38:32

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/23 08:07:45 (permalink)
Asus x99-E WS It is :)

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/23 16:44:20 (permalink)
Are you Bumping your Thread

enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/23 16:47:34 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Are you Bumping your Thread

lol just talking to myself i guess since no one else is replying.

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/23 16:50:07 (permalink)
Best of luck with that ASUS MB

enkrypt3d
Superclocked Member
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/23 17:16:07 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Best of luck with that ASUS MB

cheers! Yea I wanted something that has official xeon support... no idea why EVGA can't make that happen... but oh well. I used to be a huge fan all the way back to the 7800GT GPU (which I still have).

AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Should I upgrade my 5960X CPU? 2017/05/23 17:23:48 (permalink)
Well I look at it as a Xeon is a Server CPU and not really a Gamming CPU.
I will say I was really happy with my last Xeon(s) (Dell T630) or I should say my MS SQL Server did.
I came close to that MB but found the X99 Classified Motherboard had better 4-Way SLI Support.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile