EVGA

Helpful ReplyShould I stay or should I go...

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2021/07/01 20:39:21 (permalink)

FYI, the thread title is a reference to a song from The Clash from years ago [link].

So here's my first world 'problem':

I was lucky enough to score an EVGA Z590 FTW board, and I've finally got all the gear to build a full water loop with it (new Corsair 5000X case, 2 x 360mm rads, etc., woot!).. but the Z590 Dark is going to be released in maybe 2 weeks, and I've had my heart set on the Dark since the first day I saw it many months ago. Do I go ahead with the Z590 FTW build with the possibility of having to tear it down again in a couple of weeks, or do I just wait for the Dark release... but there's the concern that, once again, the site will get overloaded and I'll end up way back at the end of the queue and possibly waiting for months for the Dark.

So.. build now, or wait 2 weeks for the Dark and see if I get lucky in the queue?

I've already inspected the Z590 FTW board and removed all the plastic protective film - so basically a good amount of the hard work is already done, lmao.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

RogueMaster
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 403
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/01 20:53:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Nereus 2021/07/01 21:37:00
My take..  Stay the course until the queue opens and see what happens. If the site falls down and skins it's knees again, and you wind up deep in the queue, build the FTW. If all goes well, and you score a dark fairly early in, wait it out and build the dark.

If it wasn't for the water loop and all it's attendant headaches, I'd say go ahead and build the FTW to play around with. Having never done a custom loop myself, I'm not entirely sure how much of a PITA that will be to build, tear down and build again.

TLDR: Patience you must have. Good queue position you may yet acquire.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/01 21:35:09 (permalink)
RogueMaster
My take..  Stay the course until the queue opens and see what happens. If the site falls down and skins it's knees again, and you wind up deep in the queue, build the FTW. If all goes well, and you score a dark fairly early in, wait it out and build the dark.

If it wasn't for the water loop and all it's attendant headaches, I'd say go ahead and build the FTW to play around with. Having never done a custom loop myself, I'm not entirely sure how much of a PITA that will be to build, tear down and build again.

Yeah it's a bit of a PITA draining, tearing down, then rebuilding a full loop. Good advice thanks - I've waited this long, 2 weeks more isn't going to kill me, and I can reassess the situation depending on the queue and my place in it. Cheers.

I have a 2070 Super (air cooled) and a CLC120 destined for my wife's mini-ITX build, I could always set up the Z590 FTW with those in the meantime, just so I get a feel for the platform, and also to check there's no problems with the Z590 FTW board. That would give me more time to drain, tear down, and clean up my existing loop too... hmm. Might do that, as long as I don't stress the CPU too much it should be ok with that cooler for the short term.

post edited by Nereus - 2021/07/01 21:37:58

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

rl191
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/02 07:54:54 (permalink)
Sieze the day: build.
notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/02 10:48:32 (permalink)
Nereus
RogueMaster

Yeah it's a bit of a PITA draining, tearing down, then rebuilding a full loop. Good advice thanks - I've waited this long, 2 weeks more isn't going to kill me, and I can reassess the situation depending on the queue and my place in it. Cheers.

I have a 2070 Super (air cooled) and a CLC120 destined for my wife's mini-ITX build, I could always set up the Z590 FTW with those in the meantime, just so I get a feel for the platform, and also to check there's no problems with the Z590 FTW board. That would give me more time to drain, tear down, and clean up my existing loop too... hmm. Might do that, as long as I don't stress the CPU too much it should be ok with that cooler for the short term.

This can't be a Pro tip coming from me but: QD[quick disconnect]=FTW!!! 
^^^ 
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Barrow+quick+disconnect+PC&ref=nb_sb_noss

I caught a sale on the Barrow complete m/f for $17. I used them on the soft tube, but had to re-buy for upcoming hard line rig. Old ones already had the compression on end so, no bueno. Buy them in pairs if you decide to add them. They can sure add to the cost, but worth it IMO. YmmV

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/02 11:54:55 (permalink)
I personally don’t think the Dark is going to be that huge of a queue as it’s a premium motherboard and a lot of gamers like AMD boards nowadays. My guess is it will depend on how many are released each week but I don’t think it will take long for you to queue up or really even crash the site when it comes out.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/02 12:06:58 (permalink)
notfordman
Nereus
RogueMaster

^^^ 

I caught a sale on the Barrow complete m/f for $17. I used them on the soft tube, but had to re-buy for upcoming hard line rig. Old ones already had the compression on end so, no bueno. Buy them in pairs if you decide to add them. They can sure add to the cost, but worth it IMO. YmmV

This ^.  100%.  You won't believe how quickly you can swap out portions of your system and avoid the full draining/refilling.  Leak testing ends up only taking a couple hours, rather than most of a day, since you only need to monitor a few points of leakage.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/02 13:21:46 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
notfordman
^^^ 

This ^.  100%.  You won't believe how quickly you can swap out portions of your system and avoid the full draining/refilling.  Leak testing ends up only taking a couple hours, rather than most of a day, since you only need to monitor a few points of leakage.

Leak testing - got it covered.  
Takes about 15 minutes, but I run it a couple of times for up to 30 minutes just to be sure. Best thing since sliced bread. ..but point taken about quick disconnects.

post edited by Nereus - 2021/07/02 13:24:21

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/02 13:25:46 (permalink)
Hoggle
I personally don’t think the Dark is going to be that huge of a queue as it’s a premium motherboard and a lot of gamers like AMD boards nowadays. My guess is it will depend on how many are released each week but I don’t think it will take long for you to queue up or really even crash the site when it comes out.

I hope you are spot on with that.

rblaes_99
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1951
  • Ribbons : 15
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/03 06:20:33 (permalink)
i planned on buying (or attempting to) a dark too....  I will rebuild and probably sell this FTW or give it to my kids or something.

transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/03 06:24:45 (permalink)
Nereus

FYI, the thread title is a reference to a song from The Clash from years ago [link].

So here's my first world 'problem':

I was lucky enough to score an EVGA Z590 FTW board, and I've finally got all the gear to build a full water loop with it (new Corsair 5000X case, 2 x 360mm rads, etc., woot!).. but the Z590 Dark is going to be released in maybe 2 weeks, and I've had my heart set on the Dark since the first day I saw it many months ago. Do I go ahead with the Z590 FTW build with the possibility of having to tear it down again in a couple of weeks, or do I just wait for the Dark release... but there's the concern that, once again, the site will get overloaded and I'll end up way back at the end of the queue and possibly waiting for months for the Dark.

So.. build now, or wait 2 weeks for the Dark and see if I get lucky in the queue?

I've already inspected the Z590 FTW board and removed all the plastic protective film - so basically a good amount of the hard work is already done, lmao.

I would build now and still see if you can get the dark...and then sell the Z590 FTW....to me >.>

"If I go there will be trouble...and if I stay it will be double!"

post edited by transdogmifier - 2021/07/03 06:26:09

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/03 09:31:39 (permalink)
transdogmifier
I would build now and still see if you can get the dark...and then sell the Z590 FTW....to me >.>

"If I go there will be trouble...and if I stay it will be double!"

I'll drop you a pm if I do.

rblaes_99
FTW Member
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/03 12:44:11 (permalink)
Same my ftw may be available soon

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/06 08:18:38 (permalink)

Absolute nightmare rebuild. Took me forever to pull down the existing loop, rinse and clean everything with distilled water, then put up a temporary air cooled build in the new Corsair 5000X case with the Z590 FTW (temporary because I'm waiting on the Z590 Dark, so I just put in the Z590 FTW with AiO on the CPU, and an air-cooled 2070 Super I have, rather than rebuild a full loop just for a few weeks). Unfortunately there's a bit of crap in the GPU block which means I still need to unmount it and open up the block itself to clean it - a mission for another day. The new 5000X case looks great on paper and in photos, but oh man, definitely not a good match with the Z590 and the downward-facing ports along the bottom of the board. I cannot access the ports for the front panel audio, PWR_FAN, AUX_FAN, or CHA_FAN, and the cutouts for the 24-pin ATX and front panel USB are too close to the board (which may or may not be even worse with the Z590 Dark). Believe it or not, I spent over 12 hours straight yesterday working on the tear-down and rebuild, and there were a LOT of curse words flying around the later it got. I'm going to have to go without the front panel audio and USB 3 & USB-C ports unfortunately. I'm still not done yet. There is barely sufficient space for the excess PSU cables, and I don't know how the 3 x GPU cables are going to squeeze in there - currently they are going around the side where one of the 360mm radiators is supposed to go. Right now I feel like throwing the 5000X case off the balcony and maybe going back to the older 680X case, but then I have 2 x brand new 360mm radiators wasted. Years ago I had a Mountain Mods U2-UFO Horizon case (can see it here) and I kind of wish I still had it. They cost over $400 to buy now, over $500 when you add in needed parts and taxes on top. Lucky the 5000X has a fan hub included or I would not be able to use it at all - but that's not going to cover it when I add 2 x 360mm radiators and their 6 fans. I'll add a couple of pics later when I have more than just windows installed. I still have to see if I can get the SSDs mounted in the rear (if there's room for the cables), and I have no idea how I'm going to get this set up again with 2 x 360mm radiators and a full loop. Extremely discouraging experience so far, but I know it can be done in the 5000X - I've seen pictures (although not with the same motherboard).

nomoss
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/06 08:31:18 (permalink)
I waited forever for the Dark but finally lost patience and got the Maximus XIII Extreme.  I thought about getting the Glacial version for watercooling but decided not to deal with a loop this go around.
With only two weeks to go though, I'd wait for it.

Associates code:  9OYA1P1FRHQ3SGN
Imgur    modsrigs:  Chemical X   RedWing   Utonium   TY for the +1s! 

rblaes_99
FTW Member
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/06 09:08:10 (permalink)
Nereus

Absolute nightmare rebuild. Took me forever to pull down the existing loop, rinse and clean everything with distilled water, then put up a temporary air cooled build in the new Corsair 5000X case with the Z590 FTW (temporary because I'm waiting on the Z590 Dark, so I just put in the Z590 FTW with AiO on the CPU, and an air-cooled 2070 Super I have, rather than rebuild a full loop just for a few weeks). Unfortunately there's a bit of crap in the GPU block which means I still need to unmount it and open up the block itself to clean it - a mission for another day. The new 5000X case looks great on paper and in photos, but oh man, definitely not a good match with the Z590 and the downward-facing ports along the bottom of the board. I cannot access the ports for the front panel audio, PWR_FAN, AUX_FAN, or CHA_FAN, and the cutouts for the 24-pin ATX and front panel USB are too close to the board (which may or may not be even worse with the Z590 Dark). Believe it or not, I spent over 12 hours straight yesterday working on the tear-down and rebuild, and there were a LOT of curse words flying around the later it got. I'm going to have to go without the front panel audio and USB 3 & USB-C ports unfortunately. I'm still not done yet. There is barely sufficient space for the excess PSU cables, and I don't know how the 3 x GPU cables are going to squeeze in there - currently they are going around the side where one of the 360mm radiators is supposed to go. Right now I feel like throwing the 5000X case off the balcony and maybe going back to the older 680X case, but then I have 2 x brand new 360mm radiators wasted. Years ago I had a Mountain Mods U2-UFO Horizon case (can see it here) and I kind of wish I still had it. They cost over $400 to buy now, over $500 when you add in needed parts and taxes on top. Lucky the 5000X has a fan hub included or I would not be able to use it at all - but that's not going to cover it when I add 2 x 360mm radiators and their 6 fans. I'll add a couple of pics later when I have more than just windows installed. I still have to see if I can get the SSDs mounted in the rear (if there's room for the cables), and I have no idea how I'm going to get this set up again with 2 x 360mm radiators and a full loop. Extremely discouraging experience so far, but I know it can be done in the 5000X - I've seen pictures (although not with the same motherboard).

Nereus I have dangerden case kind of like the mountain mods one with two triples up front.  maybe you could use that instead?

Wolf_mafiA
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/06 09:36:55 (permalink)
Nereus

Unfortunate to hear that, I thought 5000 case would be great for these mobos and esp DARK too. However If you are not aware, Corsair just released 7000 series cases which are massive, they look better to me for the bigger spacious builds and it probably even supports that new H170i Corsair AiO too for those who are interested and it has 6xHDD bays too. That case piqued my interest since Lian Li O11DXL has no cooling for HDDs and they will be choked by their own heat esp when we use high capacity NAS or Data Center drives like WD RED PRO / Seagate EXOS / WD Ultrastar series. Maybe you can look at it ?
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2366
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/06 09:38:53 (permalink)
Nereus

I had some similar issues with the Dark Base 900 Pro v1. I found out they fixed pretty much everything I had a problem with on the v2 case, so it could be worth your consideration. Also, some of the slightly smaller newer cases from be quiet look great too. Furthermore, the Dark is not going to make any of that easier unless the ports happen to not line up with the closed-off psu-shroud brackets on your case. The reason I am suggesting the dark base is that even though it was still difficult due to my fat rad mounted below the top case bracket for push/pull, the psu shroud is open under the motherboard, so you can actually fit cables there. They also modified how the HDs are mounted in the v2, making more opportunities for mounting the reservoir on a front-mount rad. So you can easily fit two 360's, or even two thin 420s if you wanted. My v1 I can only add a 280 to the front if I want to because of how I've mounted everything else (if I get a HC card some day I will).

Edit: I actually really like the Silent Base 802 as well...mostly. If it existed when I was shopping for cases, I probably would have considered buying that over the one I did buy. I guess I'm glad I didn't because that one maxes out at 360mm in the top. I really like the push/pull 420mm set-up so I guess I'm confined to the full-size builds. Also, the dark base pro 900 v2 comes with a fan hub that will run 8 PWM fans (mine was 4 PWM and 4 3-pin fans, so yet another improvement), while the silent base 802's controller will run 6 3-pin fans. So that may have also pushed me to the pro 900. I guess you could always scrap it and put a different controller on there (especially if you want an RGB fan controller), but I thought it was handy for controlling things. I'm considering when I get my next hybrid, or if I ever get a HC card, running the fan controller input cable to the GPU's aux-fan header so that it can control the case's intake air based on that. The fans I have on it right now are so quiet that I have them running fairly high (for them) all the time because it helps with temps and isn't audibly annoying at all.  This is all just intended food for thought as I don't see that many people build in the Be quiet! cases, but after doing it...even the headaches weren't that bad and the quality of the parts has been so good that I haven't wanted to get new ones (by throwing this off a balcony...as a random example) other than wishing I had the v2 of the 900.
post edited by Nike_7688 - 2021/07/06 14:33:23

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/06 14:27:08 (permalink)
rblaes_99
Nereus I have dangerden case kind of like the mountain mods one with two triples up front.  maybe you could use that instead?

Thanks - I didn't think those were being made anymore! Classic cases. Replied to your pm - thanks for the pic & offer, but a little too much acrylic = a little too exposed for my taste.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/06 14:33:19 (permalink)
Wolf_mafiA
Nereus

Unfortunate to hear that, I thought 5000 case would be great for these mobos and esp DARK too. However If you are not aware, Corsair just released 7000 series cases which are massive, they look better to me for the bigger spacious builds and it probably even supports that new H170i Corsair AiO too for those who are interested and it has 6xHDD bays too. That case piqued my interest since Lian Li O11DXL has no cooling for HDDs and they will be choked by their own heat esp when we use high capacity NAS or Data Center drives like WD RED PRO / Seagate EXOS / WD Ultrastar series. Maybe you can look at it ?

I wasn't aware of the 7000X - just launched a couple of days ago apparently. Thanks for bringing it up. I've had a good look at it, and some videos on it. I wish I had known about it a few months ago when I ordered the 5000X. Too late to return the 5000X unfortunately. The 7000X is about 3" taller and a little over 1" deeper (the width is almost the same), and that extra space will make all the difference, particularly with the Z590 Dark EATX size board. Damn! Expensive, but that's because it includes the Commander Pro which is about $75 by itself. The 5000X looked so promising, and would be great with most builds, but the few problems with the EVGA down-facing headers and a couple of other issues (even minor ones like like not having a hinged door on front) have cumulatively annoyed the crap out of me lol - and would be exacerbated with the EATX Z590 Dark. ...I will be selling my Z490 Dark KingPin soon, that should cover most of it.. I might have to bite the bullet and go for it.

post edited by Nereus - 2021/07/06 14:35:48

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/06 14:56:19 (permalink)
Nike_7688
I had some similar issues with the Dark Base 900 Pro v1. I found out they fixed pretty much everything I had a problem with on the v2 case, so it could be worth your consideration. Also, some of the slightly smaller newer cases from be quiet look great too. Furthermore, the Dark is not going to make any of that easier unless the ports happen to not line up with the closed-off psu-shroud brackets on your case. The reason I am suggesting the dark base is that even though it was still difficult due to my fat rad mounted below the top case bracket for push/pull, the psu shroud is open under the motherboard, so you can actually fit cables there. They also modified how the HDs are mounted in the v2, making more opportunities for mounting the reservoir on a front-mount rad. So you can easily fit two 360's, or even two thin 420s if you wanted. My v1 I can only add a 280 to the front if I want to because of how I've mounted everything else (if I get a HC card some day I will).

Edit: I actually really like the Silent Base 802 as well...mostly. If it existed when I was shopping for cases, I probably would have considered buying that over the one I did buy. I guess I'm glad I didn't because that one maxes out at 360mm in the top. I really like the push/pull 420mm set-up so I guess I'm confined to the full-size builds. Also, the dark base pro 900 v2 comes with a fan hub that will run 8 PWM fans (mine was 4 PWM and 4 3-pin fans, so yet another improvement), while the silent base 802's controller will run 6 3-pin fans. So that may have also pushed me to the pro 900. I guess you could always scrap it and put a different controller on there (especially if you want an RGB fan controller), but I thought it was handy for controlling things. I'm considering when I get my next hybrid, or if I ever get a HC card, running the fan controller input cable to the GPU's aux-fan header so that it can control the case's intake air based on that. The fans I have on it right now are so quiet that I have them running fairly high (for them) all the time because it helps with temps and isn't audibly annoying at all.  This is all just intended food for thought as I don't see that many people build in the Be quiet! cases, but after doing it...even the headaches weren't that bad and the quality of the parts has been so good that I haven't wanted to get new ones (by throwing this off a balcony...as a random example) other than wishing I had the v2 of the 900.

I love bequiet!, particularly their fans - I'm a big fan lol, have been for years. I think they have a bigger presence in Europe since they are based in Germany. I will be using their high speed PWM fans on the new build for sure (on the radiators at least). Always good quality. It appears you have an option to mount the mobo upside down on that 900 v2 case? Interesting. The good news is the ATX cable header on the Z590 Dark looks to be set about an inch or so higher than on the Z590 FTW, which definitely helps the problem with the Corsair case. I'll be ripping out the mech drive mounts anyway, I only use NVMe / 2.5" SSDs these days, so there's some room there for excess cables. The 802 looks a little small for a full loop with 2x360mm rads, although until yesterday I had 2x280mm rads in a Corsair 680X which is even smaller.. tight squeeze though. I used to be really into separate fan controllers years ago, but once motherboards started adding fan curves into their BIOS from the PWM fan headers, I haven't looked back, other than maybe fan splitters which is pretty much what Corsair provide.

I was going to start butchering the 5000X (as opposed to just tossing it off the balcony), but now I might just go for the 7000X with the proceeds from selling some older gear. Expensive lesson, I should have done more research, but it is what it is.

frankd3
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 512
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/07 06:07:52 (permalink)
Nereus

Nereus,

I'm probably too late after all the advice you're getting but if you otherwise like the 5000x you can make it work.
I have the 5000D Airflow. Same chassis.
You just have to bend the wires really hard. My MB power and USB wires are all going through the grommets.
The fans cables are on two headers at bottom. I just smashed the wires hard against the deck and approached the header carefully at an angle and gently pushed. I could have done the same thing with the front panel audio header but I will be using an audio card.

My system is plain and uncomplicated compared to yours. If I can do it so can you.

But, next time I buy a motherboard I'm going to avoid horizontal facing headers. I guess they thought it would look better. Form over function. Pain in the ass.

post edited by frankd3 - 2021/07/07 06:09:17

Attached Image(s)

EVGA Z590 FTW, i9-11900K, EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB, GSkill F4-3600C14D-32GTRSA, EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra, EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, Corsair 5000D Airflow, BenQ EX2780Q 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2366
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/07 06:26:58 (permalink)
Nereus
I love bequiet!, particularly their fans - I'm a big fan lol, have been for years. I think they have a bigger presence in Europe since they are based in Germany. I will be using their high speed PWM fans on the new build for sure (on the radiators at least). Always good quality. It appears you have an option to mount the mobo upside down on that 900 v2 case? Interesting. The good news is the ATX cable header on the Z590 Dark looks to be set about an inch or so higher than on the Z590 FTW, which definitely helps the problem with the Corsair case. I'll be ripping out the mech drive mounts anyway, I only use NVMe / 2.5" SSDs these days, so there's some room there for excess cables. The 802 looks a little small for a full loop with 2x360mm rads, although until yesterday I had 2x280mm rads in a Corsair 680X which is even smaller.. tight squeeze though. I used to be really into separate fan controllers years ago, but once motherboards started adding fan curves into their BIOS from the PWM fan headers, I haven't looked back, other than maybe fan splitters which is pretty much what Corsair provide.

I was going to start butchering the 5000X (as opposed to just tossing it off the balcony), but now I might just go for the 7000X with the proceeds from selling some older gear. Expensive lesson, I should have done more research, but it is what it is.

Yeah, sorry for the ramble...I think my conclusion, as much as I think the 802 is a nice case, is that I'd still recommend the 900 (just the v2...which is probably all you can still buy anyway). Its a bit cheaper than those 7000X's and if you're not into the RGB fans anyway (you said you'd be putting the be quiet fans on your rads), it doesn't seem worth it to me lol. The only drawback is that it doesn't come in white, if that's your thing.

Just a note, their fan controllers are not USB connected and requiring some sort of additional bloat-ware. They just connect to one of the PWM fan-headers on the motherboard. That way you put that fan profile into that MB-header's settings and the controller just basically duplicates it to all the outputs. I think I have mine plugged into the "aux" fan header.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/07 07:29:36 (permalink)
Nike_7688
Nereus

Yeah, sorry for the ramble...I think my conclusion, as much as I think the 802 is a nice case, is that I'd still recommend the 900 (just the v2...which is probably all you can still buy anyway). Its a bit cheaper than those 7000X's and if you're not into the RGB fans anyway (you said you'd be putting the be quiet fans on your rads), it doesn't seem worth it to me lol. The only drawback is that it doesn't come in white, if that's your thing.

Just a note, their fan controllers are not USB connected and requiring some sort of additional bloat-ware. They just connect to one of the PWM fan-headers on the motherboard. That way you put that fan profile into that MB-header's settings and the controller just basically duplicates it to all the outputs. I think I have mine plugged into the "aux" fan header.

No worries. Oh right, those are fan hubs rather than controllers, yeah those are great for multiple radiator fans, and as you said, no bloatware, just runs off the PWM header and BIOS fan curve. The 5000X has the fan hub, the 7000X also has a fan hub plus the Commander Pro if you want software control. Still thinking it all over.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/07 07:48:52 (permalink)
frankd3
Nereus
 *snip*

Nereus,
I'm probably too late after all the advice you're getting but if you otherwise like the 5000x you can make it work.
I have the 5000D Airflow. Same chassis.
You just have to bend the wires really hard. My MB power and USB wires are all going through the grommets.
The fans cables are on two headers at bottom. I just smashed the wires hard against the deck and approached the header carefully at an angle and gently pushed. I could have done the same thing with the front panel audio header but I will be using an audio card.
My system is plain and uncomplicated compared to yours. If I can do it so can you.
But, next time I buy a motherboard I'm going to avoid horizontal facing headers. I guess they thought it would look better. Form over function. Pain in the ass.

I had a few attempts getting fans connected to those bottom headers, perhaps my fan cables have slightly longer plugs, or more likely the sleeves on the cables are a little thicker or stiffer than yours where they come out from the plugs, but whatever the case, if I had forced it much harder something was going to break ...it was close, but I wasn't going to risk damaging the motherboard header pins or possibly crushing the cable wires enough to short out and possibly start a fire. The front panel audio cable plug is bigger then the fan plugs and had no chance in hell of connecting to the motherboard header. The main ATX cable can get through the grommet, but yes, had to bend and twist it hard, as it comes out right between the 2 grommet holes (of course). I have now removed the front panel USB and USB-C connectors - although they could get through the grommets with some effort, it looked fugly. I do like the 90 degree headers, aesthetics are great, but it just doesn't play well with the 5000X case unfortunately. It was just lucky that there was a cutout below the start / reset / LED+/- headers, or I really would have lost it, lol. PITA indeed. 

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/07 08:15:44 (permalink)
I like to use full size cases for custom loops ... makes the build much easier

If space is tight, the order of assembly is an important consideration.  Usually I will dry fit all the components to evaluate case mods, routing of tubing or wires & finalize fan placement when room is at a premium

I've modded cases to make thing easier to rout / remove obstacles.  Sometimes small adapters with much more flexible wires are available.  There are many ways to cut the case where needed. Then just a little touch up paint or some sort of plastic edge cover material

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/07 08:43:11 (permalink)
Cool GTX
I like to use full size cases for custom loops ... makes the build much easier

If space is tight, the order of assembly is an important consideration.  Usually I will dry fit all the components to evaluate case mods, routing of tubing or wires & finalize fan placement when room is at a premium

I've modded cases to make thing easier to rout / remove obstacles.  Sometimes small adapters with much more flexible wires are available.  There are many ways to cut the case where needed. Then just a little touch up paint or some sort of plastic edge cover material

Yup, done a few minor mods over the years. I was considering taking to the 5000X with my Dremel *insert mad scientist laugh here* but unfortunately I have a lot of time constraints and a lot on my plate these days (such is life in NYC with a family and multiple responsibilities), so I have to look at the value of my time versus the cost in time that would be spent on such a project and make a decision accordingly, and in this case it's cheaper to just buy a new case than spend additional time modding the existing case.

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/07 09:50:08 (permalink)
Not that it helps anything now, but could you plug in the headers to w/e before screwing board down? Not what I would normally do, but wondered if that would make any difference. Sorry to hear of the problems, you would think a newer case would be more user friendly. 
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/07 10:25:21 (permalink)
notfordman
Not that it helps anything now, but could you plug in the headers to w/e before screwing board down? Not what I would normally do, but wondered if that would make any difference. Sorry to hear of the problems, you would think a newer case would be more user friendly. 

Still pretty squished, but technically yes they could be plugged in beforehand (except for the audio cable) but that's going to make cable management etc. a PITA later. Very few motherboards have the 90° headers at the bottom like that, so for many 5000X users this won't be an issue. There's ways around some of it of course (fan hubs for example), and there's also physical modding, but I don't have the time for that.

frankd3
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 512
Re: Should I stay or should I go... 2021/07/07 13:06:52 (permalink)
Nereus

I had a few attempts getting fans connected to those bottom headers, perhaps my fan cables have slightly longer plugs, or more likely the sleeves on the cables are a little thicker or stiffer than yours where they come out from the plugs, but whatever the case, if I had forced it much harder something was going to break ...it was close, but I wasn't going to risk damaging the motherboard header pins or possibly crushing the cable wires enough to short out and possibly start a fire. The front panel audio cable plug is bigger then the fan plugs and had no chance in hell of connecting to the motherboard header. The main ATX cable can get through the grommet, but yes, had to bend and twist it hard, as it comes out right between the 2 grommet holes (of course). I have now removed the front panel USB and USB-C connectors - although they could get through the grommets with some effort, it looked fugly. I do like the 90 degree headers, aesthetics are great, but it just doesn't play well with the 5000X case unfortunately. It was just lucky that there was a cutout below the start / reset / LED+/- headers, or I really would have lost it, lol. PITA indeed. 

I just tried to put the connector on the front panel audio header. You're absolutely right. No way that thing is going on there without removing the motherboard and even then it would be crushed against the psu shroud. What a stupid design!
Even without the psu shroud it would be tight against the psu itself.
Good luck on your case hunt.

EVGA Z590 FTW, i9-11900K, EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB, GSkill F4-3600C14D-32GTRSA, EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra, EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, Corsair 5000D Airflow, BenQ EX2780Q 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile