EVGA

Sc15 keyboard stopped working and laptop is now stuck attempting to restart

Author
Oukert
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/06/05 16:25:01 (permalink)
I received the new sc15 last week as part of the $999 deal and have recently had a few problems with it, though right now is a major one.

So I was playing guild wars 2 and whole running around, the keyboard just stopped working but the touch pad was working fine. So I couldn't move my character, but could freely look around.

I used the touch pad to go back to the desktop and the keyboard wasn't working there either, E.g. I could open Chrome but I couldn't type in a URL.

I decided to restart the laptop and since then it's been stuck with a black screen, with the fans going at a low speed. It's been like that for 30 minutes or so.

I've since taken the power cable out and am thinking of letting the battery run dead then seeing if I can turn it on later.

So questions are:
1) Does anyone know what might’ve happened?
2) Is there a way to force shut down the laptop? I've tried holding the power button down to no avail.

In addition, this laptop has a few issues where the touch pad will randomly stop working for 30 or so seconds, and you just have to wait it out.

Is there a chance this laptop was defective?

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies Related Threads

kaneorotar
    • Total Posts : 24
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Sc15 keyboard stopped working and laptop is now stuck attempting to restart 2018/06/05 16:35:24 (permalink)
    I have had my SC15 for about 3 weeks and have not yet experienced such issue when using the built-in keyboard and touchpad.

Holding the power button long enough should effectively force shutdown the laptop. Otherwise you can open up the bottom cover and disconnect the battery (not recommended though)

To make sure it is not a Windows issue, try going into BIOS when booting (press F2) and test the keyboard in BIOS if possible.

If the keyboard is still not functioning after one/several restart(s), it can possibly be a defective unit.
    Oukert
    Re: Sc15 keyboard stopped working and laptop is now stuck attempting to restart 2018/06/05 16:40:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for that, I've held down the power button for over 5 minutes so far, and that doesn't appear to be working, so it look like I'm sticking with the "let the power drain then see" strategy.

I'll have a check in the bios once I manage to drain this thing and see how the keyboard goes, thanks!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Sc15 keyboard stopped working and laptop is now stuck attempting to restart 2018/06/05 17:58:21 (permalink)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Oukert
    Re: Sc15 keyboard stopped working and laptop is now stuck attempting to restart 2018/06/05 18:41:24 (permalink)
    In an update in case anyone was curious: the laptop powered down and then I plugged it back in and pressed the power button. Success! The laptop turned on and the keyboard works fine so.. I guess this is a non issue.

But thanks for the link to the tech support, I'll be sure to contact them next time something like this happens.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile