Author
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 48
2019/05/14 21:45:05 (permalink)
Samsung Preps 3nm Chips to Improve Smartphone Battery Life

Samsung's upcoming 3-nanometer chipmaking process might allow for smartphone processors that consume 50 percent less power.

Samsung expects to begin mass production of the 3nm chips starting in 2021, it said today. An improved variant of the 3nm chips will arrive in the following year.

The technology promises to churn out processors that use 50 percent less power than Samsung's current 7nm chip-making process, while offering a 35 percent performance increase, executives with the company's semiconductor business told journalists. In terms of surface area, the 3nm process will allow for chips that are about 45 percent smaller.

Whether device makers will use the technology is another matter. Samsung is developing it to lead in the computer processor industry at a time when Taiwan-based TSMC produces silicon for Apple, Qualcomm, Nvidia, and AMD. During the session, the company itself said TSMC's semiconductor business is three times the size of its own.

However, Samsung expects to attract more customers with the upcoming 3nm chip-making technology. To create the next-generation silicon, the company is relying on its "gate-all-around" transistor architecture, a successor to the FinFET technology.

"Our research center has been struggling very significantly to find a new way of power reduction beyond 3nm," said Samsung foundry marketing executive Ryan Lee. "Their solution was using gate-all around is the best way."

Due to the power savings, the 3nm technology should appeal to mobile processor vendors, Samsung engineer Yongjoo Jeon told PCMag. The company also expects high-performance computing makers to consider building silicon with technology as well.

However, Samsung isn't alone in trying to develop the technology. TSMC is reportedly spending $19.5 billion to build a new 3nm chip-making factory in Taiwan. One of TSMC's biggest customers is also AMD, which has been competing with Intel to create faster and more power-efficient chips.

Source

At least this will be manufactured in Taiwan but still hope for the better in battery tech as it's much needed.
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/05/15 15:40:26

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ

5 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Samsung Preps 3nm Chips to Improve Smartphone Battery Life 2019/05/15 01:14:31 (permalink)
    I would be surprised if we see much of an increase. It' will probably just lead to software that eats up more battery power or the phone itself using more power to do more background tasks.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Samsung Preps 3nm Chips to Improve Smartphone Battery Life 2019/05/15 09:35:42 (permalink)
    So TSMC will have quite a competitor in Samsung. So the move to smaller die sizes continues. Intel continues to fall behind. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30993
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Samsung Preps 3nm Chips to Improve Smartphone Battery Life 2019/05/15 10:17:10 (permalink)
    interesting 3nm

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Samsung Preps 3nm Chips to Improve Smartphone Battery Life 2019/05/15 12:06:15 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    So TSMC will have quite a competitor in Samsung. So the move to smaller die sizes continues. Intel continues to fall behind. 

Intel has the back account thought to catch up. They might not be the first to the party but they can throw billions of dollars at a problem until they catch up. Meanwhile the others will spend money trying to reach and suffering large amounts low yields before the process is improved.

That said Intel does need to speed things up. I think they spent about a decade sitting around thinking four cores was enough. When you consider the X58 platform is still used by people you realize that Intel wasn't really doing much to improve things since the launch of the original Core processors that a CPU like the i7 970 could still be used today a decade after it's release. That would be like a Windows 98 era computer being able to run Windows 7 when you consider the previous decade.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30993
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Samsung Preps 3nm Chips to Improve Smartphone Battery Life 2019/05/16 09:37:02 (permalink)
    I wonder how this will impact RAM after the CPU launch

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile